The Forge of Weyland

The new HV 6lb is interesting. Are they going to have an HE round firing a longer heavier shell at a lower muzzle velocity. Yes this takes more training and duel sights but it gives the little 57mm gun much more bang against non armoured targets and has the added benefit of increasing barrel life.
Vickers are going to suggest that; they don't see any other way of getting a decent HE round. IIRC, its not so much the shell is longer but less propellant means to can put in more HE. The AT guns will just have the AP rounds, though.

It is a triangular calculation for your HE shell. By lowering the MV you can use a shell with thinner walls, making more room for HE, Because you are lowering the MV and reducing the shell weight you need lest propellant to achieve the maximum MV your new thinner walled HE shell can be fired at. This gives you more room in the cartridge case to seat the shell deeper, thereby allowing you to fire a larger shell with more HE. Pick you balance point (I.e., shell performance) and resolve your parameters accordingly.

marathag

Banned
Yes. I'm using Tony William's analysis on this.
The Soviets went with an extra long shell on their 45mm, taking up propellant space, rather than increasing overall length, as well as thin walls to make a high capacity. Unsure if was available by the Spanish Civil War or not

Driftless

Donor
Come now, surely DeGaulle watching the exercises isn't THAT bad? :D
A bit of a tangent: for as much hell as DeGaulle catches for his abrasiveness, were there other French generals (perhaps with more tact) in the 1930's who had a good handle on how to use mechanized forces? For decades now, DeGaulle's been the "face" of modern warfare for interwar France. Weren't there others?

I believe from the post-1940 political side, apart from DeGaulle only Darlan and Giraud caught the Allies attention (right or wrong)

I don't want to take us off on a sidetrip, so this thought can go elsewhere too.

Last edited:
At the time, DeGaulle was commanding an elite unit that did a lot of experimenting with armour tactics and so on. So he's the obvious choice to watch the British exercises.

... could easily be swapped out for 20 mm later.
Might not even be necessary – the US apparently had success with the M45 Quadmount mounted on the back of lorries and half-tracks, or in some cases towed trailers. The Israelis modified them to mount a pair of Hispano-Suiza HS.404 20 mm auto-cannons if they want something heavier.

A powered twin 20mm mounting would probably be in great demand with the RN and RAF as well.
The RAF and RN would join up to kick the Army in the teeth and ribs if they started trying to take 'their' 20mm's. The RN was screaming out for them for their ships and the RAF needed them for its aircraft.

Might not even be necessary – the US apparently had success with the M45 Quadmount mounted on the back of lorries and half-tracks, or in some cases towed trailers. The Israelis modified them to mount a pair of Hispano-Suiza HS.404 20 mm auto-cannons if they want something heavier.
Ah yes, the M16 MGMC, beloved of Squad Leader players. The "massed MGs" approach might fit with some 1930's theories, but I think that TTL the British have moved on and realised that they need more range and hitting power than even a .50-cal MG can provide - and that's for AA as well as ground targets.

This is still pre-war, so the RAF is probably still dragging its feet on the 20mm cannon. If the Army starts muscling in on their perceived territory, it might actually get the RAF to pull their finger out and actually start procuring them for Fighter Command. Also, as it's still pre-war, so the Army can likely argue for extra production capacity and get Treasury to sign off on it, since it would be for all three services.

At this time, looking at a carrier mounted twin .50 cal. AAA, as a supplement use a truck or trailer mount the RN quad .50cal mount. Yes 20mm is better, but as said before, this is 1938, not summer 1940.

Errolwi

Monthly Donor
Ah yes, the M16 MGMC, beloved of Squad Leader players. The "massed MGs" approach might fit with some 1930's theories, but I think that TTL the British have moved on and realised that they need more range and hitting power than even a .50-cal MG can provide - and that's for AA as well as ground targets.
The BEF deployed with AA tripods for the Bren, right? I've got photos of one owned by a re-enactor somewhere.