The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Certainly, a timeline, if a bit exaggerated & unrealistic to the point of unpleasantness at times. This receives the French Algeria award for obvious effort, but noticeable mistakes. 8.5/10.

French_Algeria_Flag_Map.png

I wonder, how would Transformers be like in this timeline? Will there be more Decepticons that act as the Wehrmacht to the Decepticons' Nazi allegory for their leadership?

I was thinking that in this timeline, there would be a Transformers spin-off focusing on Jetfire leading a team of former Decepticons working for the Autobots as a sort of 'Erwin Rommel and the Free German Army but in Transformers' in story as a limited issue comic book series.

Last edited:
After some thinking, I came up with some plausible versions of OTL films, books and manga/animes:
  1. The Hunt for the Yangtze (The Hunt for the Red October). In 1989, with a new cold war on the horizon, Chinese submarine captain Zao is given command of the Yangtze, a new Liao-Class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine with a stealth "caterpillar drive", rendering it undetectable to passive sonar. When the submarine disappear during a training mission and the bulk of the Chinese Navy deploys to the Pacific to find and sink the sub, the U.S. government thinks Zao is planning to attack. However, C.I.A. analyst Jack Ryan has a different idea. He thinks Zao is planning to defect, but he has only a few hours to find him and prove it, because the entire Chinese Naval and Air commands are trying to find him, too.
  2. Black Dawn (Red Dawn). The film is set in the late 90s and depicts a United States that has been invaded by China and its Italian and Venezuelan allies. However, the onset of World War III is in the background and not fully elaborated. The story follows a group of American high school students who resist the occupation with guerilla warfare, naming themselves the "Wolverines", after their high school mascot. Despite mixed reviews from critics, the film became a commercial success, grossing $38 million against the budget of $17 million.
  3. Black Dawn Rising (Red Dawn Rising). When a CIA agent is killed during a terrorist attack, the Chinese government believes the US ordered the attack and launches a surprise invasion of Hawaii. Set in the mid-1990s, it features a Third World War between the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and the Community of Independent States forces, and is unique for depicting the conflict as being fought exclusively with conventional weapons, rather than escalating to the use of weapon of mass destruction or nuclear warfare.
  4. The Sum of All Fears (The Sum of All Fears). In 1955, during the Second Arabian War, an Italian warplane carrying a nuclear bomb is shot down over the UAR. Fast-forward 47 years to 2002. The United States is very critical of the Italians' treatment of Somalia but when the Italian Prime Minister is killed by a somali terrorist, a man whose politics are virtually unknown succeeds him. This change in political leaders sparks paranoia among American CIA officials, so CIA Director Bill Cabot recruits young analyst Jack Ryan to supply insight and advice on the situation. What Ryan discovers is that a group of Neo-Communist terrorists are planning to provoke a war between the US and Italy, by detonating a nuclear bomb at a football game in Baltimore, Maryland.
  5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. The story takes place in the year 2008, where a radical leader has executed the leader of an unnamed Middle Eastern country, and a neo-communist force in China sparks an insurgency alongside a nationalistic uprising in Mongolia. The conflicts are seen from the perspective of an Italian 9th Paratroopers Assault Regiment "Col Moschin" sergeant, an American Delta Force operator, and a Chinese Army Special Warfare Command foot soldier. The story takes place in the year 2008, where a reactionary general of the Chinese military launches a coup against the reformist and pacifist President-elect of China seeking to start a war against the USA to obtain full control of the Pacific Ocean. The conflict is seen from the perspective of a US Delta force helping the loyalist Chinese soldiers and as a British SAS operator seeking to extract the Chinese Vice President from a prison in Iran. The game’s plot ends with an ominous warning about a world war about to begin showing a satellite image of the Chinese navy sailing across the Pacific as the great powers erupt into global war. The game received universal acclaim from critics, with the gameplay and story receiving particular praise and became the highest-grossing game bought in the USA.
  6. Highschool of the Dead (my favourite Manga/Anime). From the get-go in TTL Japan has a proper army and not the Self-Defence Forces. Rika Minami (one of the protagonists) would most likely be an expert sniper of the Japanese Special Forces instead of the Police Special Assault Team. Also, when in episode 8 the staff of the President of the United States on board Air Force One is infected and start to turn into zombies the President would authorize a pre-emptive nuclear strike against the main adversaries of TTL USA: China, Italy and to a lesser extent other CIS nuclear-states. In episodes 11 and 12 all the nuclear-armed CIS members would retaliate launching their own ICBMs and SLBMs against USA and ITO countries and some could even hit their intended targets rendering the life of the protagonists even riskier. (In the OTL version the attacks were against Russia and China but in TTL things are obviously different).
What do you think about my proposals?

Last edited:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

Unlike OTL Russia, which was riddled with corruption and couldn't even bring Chechnya to heel the first time around, post-reunion China is at least stable enough to quickly rise to superpower status ITTL. Of course plausibility never stopped MW IOTL. It's the same series that had Russia invade the US and then get all the way to fucking Paris (it still ticks me off).

Unlike OTL Russia, which was riddled with corruption and couldn't even bring Chechnya to heel the first time around, post-reunion China is at least stable enough to quickly rise to superpower status ITTL. Of course plausibility never stopped MW IOTL. It's the same series that had Russia invade the US and then get all the way to fucking Paris (it still ticks me off).
I personally think that something like OTL Battlefield 4 would be more realistic in TTL. There is a power struggle in China and both ITO and CIS forces intervine to back different factions. You play as an American USMC helping the Chinese reformist faction and as a SAS operative trying to estract a Yugur or Kazakh defector from Central Asia. No Middle East Campaign since in TTL the is no direct US intervention in the region following 9/11.

So, my reasoning behind why the Free German Army would retain the M36 style four pocket feldbluse and jackboots whereas the SS and Wehrmacht Loyalists would switch to a M44 style two-pocket tunic with gaiters and low boots is because the Free German Army would have access to more supplies thanks to the Allies whereas the SS and Wehrmacht loyalists would have a troubled supply situation like OTL end-WW2 Nazi Germany, forcing the switch to a M44 style feldbluse (the UK Battle Dress style tunic) to conserve supplies.

So, I wonder if the M44 style uniform can be used for the SS and Wehrmacht Loyalists late in the war in Europe.

1637493054767.png

And speaking of post war camo, Splintertarnmuster would be the camo pattern for the Cold War/early Cool War era Reichswhermacht before being replaced by Flecktarn from the late Cool War afterwards.
(Yep, I can picture the Reichswhermacht using the M1 helmet for field use with the M35 Stahlhelm being used for parade/ceremonial uses during the Cold War/Cool War era.)

1637493297495.png

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. The story takes place in the year 2008, where a radical leader has executed the leader of an unnamed Middle Eastern country, and a neo-communist force in China sparks an insurgency alongside a nationalistic uprising in Mongolia. The conflicts are seen from the perspective of an Italian 9th Paratroopers Assault Regiment "Col Moschin" sergeant, an American Delta Force operator, and a Chinese Army Special Warfare Command foot soldier. The story takes place in the year 2008, where a reactionary general of the Chinese military launches a coup against the reformist and pacifist President-elect of China seeking to start a war against the USA to obtain full control of the Pacific Ocean. The conflict is seen from the perspective of a US Delta force helping the loyalist Chinese soldiers and as a British SAS operator seeking to extract the Chinese Vice President from a prison in Iran. The game’s plot ends with an ominous warning about a world war about to begin showing a satellite image of the Chinese navy sailing across the Pacific as the great powers erupt into global war. The game received universal acclaim from critics, with the gameplay and story receiving particular praise and became the highest-grossing game bought in the USA.
Wait a minute Call of Duty actually has a story? I am assuming its one of those ones that you don't pay attention to and just forget all of it half way true

How much different from OTL is the aviation industries ITTL?
IMAO it would be centred around the following industries:

1. Boeing, it developed just like OTL and acquired McDonnell Douglas in the 1990s. The B-2707 would have still been discontinued ITTL but the NMA (an American A-380) would have been more than likely produced in the early 2000s

2. China-Italy Commercial Aircraft International Corporation (CIAIC), the result of a merger between the Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China and the Società Aerospaziali Riunite or United Aerospace Corporation in 1990s. Respectively the merger of all the various Chinese and Italian aircraft manufacturers. The Italian would have more than likely developed a Concorde-like aircraft that just like the OTL Tu-144 (never produced ITTL) would have many problems security issues and be produced and used in very limited numbers. Regarding the name of the Italian national carrier, I think that it would have remained Ala Littoria but after the fall of Fascism would have been rebranded as Alitalia just like OTL. In the 90s and 2000s would also develop an "A-380" to compete against Boeing and maybe Airbus.

3. Airbus, it can go two ways:
  • France stays with the group and things remain very similar to OTL with the A-380 developed just like in OTL.
  • France withdraws from the group in 1999 before the merger. Airbus would have been weakened but would have survived and still produced Aircraft similar to OTL. The French company would have been called realistically Aérospatiale-Matra just like OTL and would produce something like OTL SSJ-100 and Irkut MC-21. Both companies would be smaller and lose market share due to external and internal competition. No A-380 due to lack of funds
Smaller Ukrainian, Russian and Brazilian companies would produce some small and medium aircraft but nothing substantial.

Last edited:
IMAO it would be centred around the following industries:

1. Boeing, it developed just like OTL and acquired McDonnell Douglas in the 1990s. The B-2707 would have still been discontinued ITTL but the NMA (an American A-380) would have been more than likely produced in the early 2000s

2. China-Italy Commercial Aircraft International Corporation (CIAIC), the result of a merger between the Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China and the Società Aerospaziali Riunite or United Aerospace Corporation in 1990s. Respectively the merger of all the various Chinese and Italian aircraft manufacturers. The Italian would have more than likely developed a Concorde-like aircraft that just like the OTL Tu-144 (never produced ITTL) would have many problems security issues and be produced and used in very limited numbers. Regarding the name of the Italian national carrier, I think that it would have remained Ala Littoria but after the fall of Fascism would have been rebranded as Alitalia just like OTL. In the 90s and 2000s would also develop an "A-380" to compete against Boeing and maybe Airbus.

3. Airbus, it can go two ways:
  • France stays with the group and things remain very similar to OTL with the A-380 developed just like in OTL.
  • France withdraws from the group in 1999 before the merger. Airbus would have been weakened but would have survived and still produced Aircraft similar to OTL. The French company would have been called realistically Aérospatiale-Matra just like OTL and would produce something like OTL SSJ-100 and Irkut MC-21. Both companies would be smaller and lose market share due to external and internal competition. No A-380 due to lack of funds
Smaller Ukrainian, Russian and Brazilian companies would produce some small and medium aircraft but nothing substantial.
Really like these developments but I think that it is up to Sorairo to decide

Just one question: what about the one and only Silvio Berlusconi ITTL?

Berlusconi really is a facinating person, and I mean that like how a tornado or a dumpster fire is fascinating, but you have to admit he can be charismatic.

Since fascism and fascist-lite political parties have effectively transplanted communism and social-democrat's place in OTL it would be very easy for Italian right-wing groups to either co-opt celebrities and other charismatic people to promote their party.

Alternatively, these parties can point at them and say that this is what democracy and liberalism has done to Italian politics.

Speaking of video games, how would Command and Conquer: Generals be like in this universe? I don't think that the Chinese in this TL after reunification would fit the 'human wave' faction that the Chinese faction do in Command and Conquer: Generals.

Are there any characters in this timeline came off as Jerkass Woobies or Moral Event Horizon?

For TVTropes?

I don't know about individual characters but you could say that the Moral Event Horizon for the Soviet Union would be the nuclear bombing of Poland which made the USSR and communism as a whole the indisputable villain of the world after the Nazis were defeated.

Jerkass Woobie? I wouldn't say that this character is a "jerkass" but the kind of guy that you want to slap for being so damn blind but at the time you kind of feel sorry for the guy would be Wallace.

Edit: forgot to actually type out the name

Last edited: