The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Why did Germany keep bits of Silesia ITTL?

A tacit acknowledgment and reward for the Valkyrie uprising.

Remember, OTL our image of Germans as happily goosestepping to the tune of Hitler's madness comes from the fact that there wasn't a strong German resistance.

TTL, Germans have, quite dramatically, blown that image up when Hitler's goose was cooked TTL. Even though the Valkyrie plotters weren't functionally that different from Nazism, they can properly market themselves as a nation held hostage by Nazism.

Which means the conditions won't nearly be as harsh.

Hmm, speaking of popular culture, I was wondering since Japan is more militaristic in this TL, I wonder how fundementally different some anime series would be from their OTL counterparts. For, me taking the Pretty Cure franchise as an example, I was thinking it would be less of a magical girl series with the power of friendship as in OTL and more of OTL's Starship Troopers in magical girl form with themes such as civic virtue, juvenile delinquency, moral bankruptcy and the ideal that a citizen is a person willing to risk his or her life to protect others and the state from harm in addition to the themes of the power of friendship in TTL.

Last edited:
Hmm, speaking of popular culture, I was wondering since Japan is more militaristic in this TL, I wonder how fundementally different some anime series would be from their OTL counterparts. For, me taking the Pretty Cure franchise as an example, I was thinking it would be less of a magical girl series with the power of friendship as in OTL and more of OTL's Starship Troopers in magical girl form with themes such as civic virtue, juvenile delinquency, moral bankruptcy and the ideal that a citizen is a person willing to risk his or her life to protect others and the state from harm in addition to the themes of the power of friendship in TTL.

Also, ultranationalistic anime like Gate might become more prominent.

Among other changes:

1) Godzilla is actually defeated by the military occasionally.

2) The Rising Sun flag is featured much more prominently in all media.

3) Anime fans are as well versed in Japanese history by sheer proxy as British people are about American history due to watching American media. The average American ITTL by watching anime series growing up would know far more about the Civil War era, Perry’s arrival and the Meiji restoration than OTL because those themes seep in the shows more often. It will be normal for a typical Shonen protagonist to say “I’m proud to be Japanese!” even if it isn’t really a nationalistic story.

4) J-Pop filled in K-Pop’s vacuum, but Vietnam and China are quite popular too.

5) The military anime are often higher production for two reasons. First is obviously the military is funding to make awesome set piece battles. The second is to give the characters more detail so they look more ethnically Japanese and less Caucasian - no light eyes or hair, the cheap way to make distinguishable characters. This is to make it easier for the viewer to self insert and ultimately sign up. Despite the high production value, they have a terrible quality reputation and are enjoyed for the wrong reasons by Weebs.

6) Want to win a media award in Japan? Make it about the Ezo occupation. The Japanese love a chance to make them the obvious good guys in military conflict. They usually stop before the Ainu are expelled. Want to sink your career? Make a film about that.

---
EDIT: And one more because why not.

7) Girls Und Panzer still exists, except they're precocious young boys instead of girls.

Last edited:
Among other changes:

1) Godzilla is actually defeated by the military occasionally.

2) The Rising Sun flag is featured much more prominently in all media.

3) Anime fans are as well versed in Japanese history by sheer proxy as British people are about American history due to watching American media. The average American ITTL by watching anime series growing up would know far more about the Civil War era, Perry’s arrival and the Meiji restoration than OTL because those themes seep in the shows more often. It will be normal for a typical Shonen protagonist to say “I’m proud to be Japanese!” even if it isn’t really a nationalistic story.

4) J-Pop filled in K-Pop’s vacuum, but Vietnam and China are quite popular too.

5) The military anime are often higher production for two reasons. First is obviously the military is funding to make awesome set piece battles. The second is to give the characters more detail so they look more ethnically Japanese and less Caucasian - no light eyes or hair, the cheap way to make distinguishable characters. This is to make it easier for the viewer to self insert and ultimately sign up. Despite the high production value, they have a terrible quality reputation and are enjoyed for the wrong reasons by Weebs.

6) Want to win a media award in Japan? Make it about the Ezo occupation. The Japanese love a chance to make them the obvious good guys in military conflict. They usually stop before the Ainu are expelled. Want to sink your career? Make a film about that.

---
EDIT: And one more because why not.

7) Girls Und Panzer still exists, except they're precocious young boys instead of girls.
Boys Und Panzer then for this TTL's equivalent of Girls Und Panzer. Also, how strict is TTL's Germany's video game censorship laws compared to OTL?

Boys Und Panzer then for this TTL's equivalent of Girls Und Panzer. Also, how strict is TTL's Germany's video game censorship laws compared to OTL?

Nowhere near as strict since the nationalist right in Germany is seen as Anti-Nazi as anyone (“How dare you compare our glorious troops to Nazis?!”) The Neo Nazi scene in Germany is twice as dead as OTL.

Literal Nazi adulation remains banned, similar to OTL Western Europe.

Nowhere near as strict since the nationalist right in Germany is seen as Anti-Nazi as anyone (“How dare you compare our glorious troops to Nazis?!”) The Neo Nazi scene in Germany is twice as dead as OTL.

Literal Nazi adulation remains banned, similar to OTL Western Europe.
And what would TTL Germany's armed forces be called? Will they reuse their Wehrmacht name?

Last edited:
Hey @Sorairo, what was the fate of the Andrea Doria in this universe? Never built? Built and carried out an unremarkable service life? Or did she sink in 1956 like inotl? Also what was Balbo’s trip to Disneyland like?

Hey @Sorairo, what was the fate of the Andrea Doria in this universe? Never built? Built and carried out an unremarkable service life? Or did she sink in 1956 like inotl? Also what was Balbo’s trip to Disneyland like?

Never sank due to butterflies, although random disasters like mudslides and sinkings would have taken other lives instead.

Balbo posed with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck on either side, rode some of the gentlest more photograph-friendly rides with Walt Disney and Disney made some extremely cringey (in retrospect) comments where he praised Balbo's role in WW2 and saving the Jews of Trieste, Italy's commitment against Communism and how he hoped for an end to the Cool War as a result.

I also have some news to announce: For Christmas, I've decided to make one additional update for the story, focussed on an area I've been able to string together a few ideas for and thought I'd breathe into a warped, dystopic life: South Africa and the successor Bantustans and the strangest incidents that have occured since the end of the Homeland War in that cursed neck of the world.

Never sank due to butterflies, although random disasters like mudslides and sinkings would have taken other lives instead.

Balbo posed with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck on either side, rode some of the gentlest more photograph-friendly rides with Walt Disney and Disney made some extremely cringey (in retrospect) comments where he praised Balbo's role in WW2 and saving the Jews of Trieste, Italy's commitment against Communism and how he hoped for an end to the Cool War as a result.

I also have some news to announce: For Christmas, I've decided to make one additional update for the story, focussed on an area I've been able to string together a few ideas for and thought I'd breathe into a warped, dystopic life: South Africa and the successor Bantustans and the strangest incidents that have occured since the end of the Homeland War.
Thanks!

I also have some news to announce: For Christmas, I've decided to make one additional update for the story, focussed on an area I've been able to string together a few ideas for and thought I'd breathe into a warped, dystopic life: South Africa and the successor Bantustans and the strangest incidents that have occured since the end of the Homeland War in that cursed neck of the world.
Awesome, you’re the best!

Can't wait!

This makes me beyond happy!!!