The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

What is the situation of supersonic airliners?

My guess:
-Concorde went more or less as IOTL;
-Boeing 2707 reached production and started flying;
-Tu-144 was at most in an underfunded development phase when the USSR collapsed. Obviously it then got cancelled;
-I guess Italy developed its own version too. It could have been flying routes like Rome-Israel-Asmara, or maybe to China;
-At this point SSTs should be more popular, so I imagine that also ROC developed one, with first flight in the 90's

I know nothing about that field so ... sure, that all happened.

So is the former ISA recovered or is it still a ghosttown inhabited only by nomads and criminals? Also does Italy still have the OVRA as a secret police/intelligence agency or did they get a new name?

Last edited:
So is the former ISA recovered or is it still a ghosttown inhabited only by nomads and criminals? Also does Italy still have the OVRA as a secret police/intelligence agency or did they get a new name?

It's overwhelmingly empty, since there's literally nothing there that can support life in the best of circumstances. Riyadh got nuked so anything close to an internal infrastructure is gone and replaced by the west of the country (which has no real wealth).

The OVRA was replaced when Berlinguer stepped in.

Hey all, since I'm always obsessed with making sure I learn something from my efforts, I hope it would be okay to ask the following questions:

1) What did you particularly like about the TL? Did any characters stand out?

2) How was the writing style/flow? How did dialogue and description feel?

3) If you could suggest an improvement point, what would it be?

Hey all, since I'm always obsessed with making sure I learn something from my efforts, I hope it would be okay to ask the following questions:

That you kept the style simple and fluid, not overwhelming and bored like other TL’s that are good but waaaay to extended and boring to read.

This was like reading a story, you kept us hanged.
I think my favourite character was Elie Wiesel and his descriptions of the Battle of Trieste and the Auschwitz Reprisals.

I liked how it added a new twist to the post-war era, like Germany restoring her monarchy or Otto von Habsburg being restored to Hungary's throne. It wasn't just another railroaded Cold War timeline that says "America and the Soviets are destined to be the two big players with Europe tagging along" so on.

It was also very creative.

2) How was the writing style/flow? How did dialogue and description feel

Solid 9.8/10

Nothing.

The battle of Trieste was probably my favorite part of this TL. It was well written and seeing the nazis being defeated by jewish refugees put a smile on my face.
Anne Frank's recall of Operation Samson is a close second

How was the writing style/flow? How did dialogue and description feel?
I honestly think your writing style got better with each update. Don't get me wrong it was already pretty good, but it got even better after the fisrt few posts

If you could suggest an improvement point, what would it be?
Eh, i kinda wish we had seen more of India, but i realise it wasn't the main point of the TL so yeah, it is kinda a stupid complain.

I absolutely loved both the fact that there are more monarchies but the the Commonwealth is stronger ITTL. I particularly loved Otto Von Habsuburg.
I loved the writing style but I do prefer historical texts as a way of writing Alternate Histories compared to first person so there is bias there the dialogue was always good.
I personally would of liked to see more of Australia but that's fine I am very used to that.
All in all 10/10 would of liked to see more Aus but I am Australian so bias is inherent.

Writing style was very good. Detailed thing very well but it didn't go boring and always waited new update. And things sound very plausible and possible. I liked descriptions of Battle of Trieste, Second Arab War, faking of Moon landing and collapse of Communism. There was many intresting and well-written characters so it is impossible to say who were best.

Writing style was good. Events were described very well.

Perhaps there could had been more stuff between 1980 and 2020 altough probably it hardly wouldn't had been as intrested as earlier events.

I liked the general idea as well as the unflinching look at how terrible communism is. I also liked the moral ambivalence around Mussolini that makes him a complex figure rather than a cardboard cutout to hate. Those were very well done.

These were mostly fine. Serviceable at worst and enjoyable at best.

1. Tone down the mega paragraphs. Updates like Depart From Me, Into Everlasting Fire were borderline unreadable because of them.

2. The fall of Fascism needed more internal focus and setup. It's understandable since you said it was a matter of finishing the timeline, but mentioning it nonetheless.

1. This isn't to say that this timeline peaked early, because it's good throughout, but the bits about the Battle of Trieste gave me chills, which only one other AH timeline (An Age of Miracles) has done.

2. The writing style itself was fine, but often the writing was concentrated into blocks of text that were hard to read on a technical level.

3. Aside from the negation of the above, I did think that the incompetence of the Soviet Union got a bit cartoonish.

1. How human every person felt. You made me root for Mussolini of all people. So many great emotional moments throughout.

2. The writing style was fine, and in my opinion the only way to cover such a broad time period and so many broad events efficiently.

3. I had a hard time visualizing and remembering where the newer countries in Africa were.

1. This isn't to say that this timeline peaked early, because it's good throughout, but the bits about the Battle of Trieste gave me chills, which only one other AH timeline (An Age of Miracles) has done.

2. The writing style itself was fine, but often the writing was concentrated into blocks of text that were hard to read on a technical level.

3. Aside from the negation of the above, I did think that the incompetence of the Soviet Union got a bit cartoonish.

1. I liked how Europe stayed relevant. I liked that apparently the space race was multipolar. And I may have teared up over Mussolini’s last words.

2. The writing style was great,man.

3. Definitely not have the USSR abandon spaceflight totally in the 70s. Keep their program as it was OTL - space stations,a few automated probes.