The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Austria was only occupied by Italy for a short time during and in the years after the war. Hardly enough to completely repress the Carinthian Slovene varieties already spoken in Austria. With Carinthian Slovene still being spoken, Carinthia would most likely be one of the places many Slovene refugees would go in addition to the African colonies.

Austria is still fascist nation so not sure if Slovenes are tolerated there.

OTL Person: Hey man, I heard that in your timeline Mussolinni's a good guy who saved millions of Jews, helped to end World War II early, and Communism collapses entirely two decades early. Life must be pretty good over there huh?
TTL Person:
giphy.gif

OTL Person: Hey man, I heard that in your timeline Mussolinni's a good guy who saved millions of Jews, helped to end World War II early, and Communism collapses entirely two decades early. Life must be pretty good over there huh?
TTL Person:
Maybe a TTL in the 70s. Once fascism collapses and nationalism finally begins to become less of a dominant force in politics, I'm sure things will definitely get better.

TTL Person: Well, it is unless you're Slovene, Arab, Ainu, Ethiopian, Black South African/Rhodesian/American, Korean, Indian Muslim.

TTL Person: Well, it is unless you're Slovene, Arab, Ainu, Ethiopian, Black South African/Rhodesian/American, Korean, Indian Muslim.
Koreans and Black Americans are worse off than in OTL, but they're hardly as oppressed as the other groups you list. I'm not sure about Indian Muslims, either. I thought India was secular ITTL?

Actually the Koreans would be an interesting case. Northern Korea is no longer under the Kim dictatorship by the 1973 and while the South did have decades under the Kim regime, the regime never went as nuts as OTL. Also no Korean war killing so many of their people and tearing the peninsula part in so many ways. Now with united and democratic Korea with no foreign military bases in it, they really stand to close out the 20th century well it seems to me.

As for the Indian Muslims while their road has been bad no question it seems like the Hindu extremism has peaked ITTL as mainstream political force and they have even greater weight of numbers for the polls than OTL with Bangladesh and Pakistan still part of India. And they stand a chance of sharing in the prosperity India is gaining as a rising economic power as well.

TTL Person:
giphy.gif

I think TTL is like OTL history in this way: there are...trade offs.

On the one hand, we have a prosperous Katanga.

On the other hand, we have colonialism lasting much longer than it should have.

On the one hand, we have a Eritrea and Libyan under the fascist jackboot.

On the other hand, both nations might avoid their post-colonial problems of OTL.

On the one hand, the Middle East was horribly, horribly glassed.

On the other hand, the Al Sauds have been toppled from power.

History is never really dystopic. Fortunes rise and fall. Some nations can fall and other rise. That's life.

On the other hand Arabia ended up under the controll of a fundamentalist version of Pol Pot for years and i am pretty sure central Arabia will need decades to reapair all the damages left by his rule.

On the other hand, Wahabism was just confined to that area.

And, to be fair, the Al Sauds aren't much better.

In 1975 this world is more or less better in 1975. Same or slighlty better I would say.

Pros:
- No Soviet Union anymore nor other Communist nations. Eastern Europe is democratised at least for now.
- More peaceful Middle East and Arab nationalism nor Islamic fundamentalism is not anynmore big deal.
- China whilst still very authotarian at least freedom level is slightly higher than in OTL PRC in 1975.
- Korea is united and democratic.
- South America has mostly avoided miltary dictatorships. At least in 1975 Chile and Brazil seems being democracies instead military dictatorships.
- No civil wars in Central America.
- Cuba is democracit country altough under Americane conomic control.
- Communism is now really discredited.
- Much more peaceful Indochina.

Cons:
- Fascism is still around and strong in Mediterranean region.
- It really sucks to be Slovene, Ethiopian, Ainu, Japanese Korean, Indian Muslim, black in South Africa, Rhodesia and US South.
- Ethiopia is facing really terrible war. Probably even worse than OTL Ethiopian Civil War.
- Civil right movement is stagnant and not progressing in Deep South.

Speaking of China:
What is the total Chinese population after the fall of the North? Obviously the longer and bloodier Civil War caused more casualties than in OTL. However afterwards the south avoided Mao's Great Leap of the Cliff and never had a one-child-policy. So by now the population might very well be significantly higher than OTL.
Because that's a question that doesn't matter just for tallying OTL vs TTL scores.
If China has much earlier economic growth than OTL and has a significantly higher population than in OTL and I think it does, then chances are that China will be "looking towards Africa" for "resources and the like" much earlier than in OTL. Like as in, when it's allies still have colonies there which it would be much more face-saving to sell to a friend than grant independence to.

Speaking of China:
What is the total Chinese population after the fall of the North? Obviously the longer and bloodier Civil War caused more casualties than in OTL. However afterwards the south avoided Mao's Great Leap of the Cliff and never had a one-child-policy. So by now the population might very well be significantly higher than OTL.
Because that's a question that doesn't matter just for tallying OTL vs TTL scores.
If China has much earlier economic growth than OTL and has a significantly higher population than in OTL and I think it does, then chances are that China will be "looking towards Africa" for "resources and the like" much earlier than in OTL. Like as in, when it's allies still have colonies there which it would be much more face-saving to sell to a friend than grant independence to.

I'm guessing the 1980s is when China might start throwing its economic weight around.

Has it been said where the Italian and British space programs are operating out of?

Also I wonder if the Latin Spring and Belize joining the UK will trigger wider challenges to the colonial status quo in the Caribbean?
I figure the ito version of the esa uses french guiana since it is close to the equator. The Italians may have to share with another ra member that is also near the equator. As for the commonwealth they may do something like the french. The members vote on membership or independence and the smaller members are grouped together for representation in parliament.

Speaking of China:

I would assume that population is same or bit lower than in OTL. Remember that China hasn't Tibet, Qinhai and Xinjiang whihc take some population off. In other hand China has Mongolia and Taiwan which compensate that population loss bit.

Why wouldn't the British operate their Space Program from British Guiana?

Wonder if the Dutch would sell Dutch Guiana to the Brits or French?