The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Amongst Korean emigres, IIRC yes.

Ah you are correct he was a leader aming the exiles. But it only says his life' work was 'attempting' to build an underground or government in exile. That indicates he failed. Though of course its possible a successor in the years since his death has had more success.

What differences would there be between a fascist and a democratic Korea? Both are homogeneous nations.

Well...

After roughly 70 years of division, the North and South Korean people have become quite different culturally and linguistically.

Many North Koreans who reach the South struggle to fit in.

So...

Well having discussed Communist Korea surviving, let's discuss the possibility of its fall.

As it stands idon't think its too likely too fall to internal revolt, at least not during this crisis.

So my take on its fall, goes back to two people, Chiang and Corely.

Chiang has his eyes on the glory, and while knowing Korea may be tougher tan the other communist state expects the PRC and Mongolia to practically fall as his armies arrive. So Korea can be afforded he figures. And the prize is both being the man who spearheaded the destruction of Communism in Asia, and a great leap toward reestablishing Chinese domination of East Asia with Korea and Mongolia under puppet governments. It would also set up his son and China he may hope to rise to the top of the Roman Alliance.

For Corely his support is based around Anticommunism. Even if a communist Korea would be a useful buffer he wants the red menace destroyed once and for all. If it means a Fascist Korea, he reasons that's still a vast improvement. While he stops short of direct military aid he and Japan supply material aid allow use of Japanese ports as part of the war effort. Korean democracy advocates will regard Corely as having sold out the Korean people to the Fascist just as Wallace did to the Communists.

Japan is not keen on Fascist Korea, but a communist Korea could in theory host a base for Ainu resistance, and Chiang pledges full support for Japan not only regaining Ezo but the Kurils as well. So with Corely urging them to cooperate with Chiang the Japanese bite the bullet.

Chiang is insistent that the reunification be handled solely by Chinese forces; but for Korea Italian air and naval forces will assist, along with an expeditionary force from Thailand. Bangkok is not thrilled at a Chinese dominated East Asia as a future; but seeing China's success as likely assisting them is seen as away to show their worth to the RA as a whole and earn some points with the Chinese going forward.

Well having discussed Communist Korea surviving, let's discuss the possibility of its fall.

As it stands idon't think its too likely too fall to internal revolt, at least not during this crisis.

So my take on its fall, goes back to two people, Chiang and Corely.

Chiang has his eyes on the glory, and while knowing Korea may be tougher tan the other communist state expects the PRC and Mongolia to practically fall as his armies arrive. So Korea can be afforded he figures. And the prize is both being the man who spearheaded the destruction of Communism in Asia, and a great leap toward reestablishing Chinese domination of East Asia with Korea and Mongolia under puppet governments. It would also set up his son and China he may hope to rise to the top of the Roman Alliance.

For Corely his support is based around Anticommunism. Even if a communist Korea would be a useful buffer he wants the red menace destroyed once and for all. If it means a Fascist Korea, he reasons that's still a vast improvement. While he stops short of direct military aid he and Japan supply material aid allow use of Japanese ports as part of the war effort. Korean democracy advocates will regard Corely as having sold out the Korean people to the Fascist just as Wallace did to the Communists.

Japan is not keen on Fascist Korea, but a communist Korea could in theory host a base for Ainu resistance, and Chiang pledges full support for Japan not only regaining Ezo but the Kurils as well. So with Corely urging them to cooperate with Chiang the Japanese bite the bullet.

Chiang is insistent that the reunification be handled solely by Chinese forces; but for Korea Italian air and naval forces will assist, along with an expeditionary force from Thailand. Bangkok is not thrilled at a Chinese dominated East Asia as a future; but seeing China's success as likely assisting them is seen as away to show their worth to the RA as a whole and earn some points with the Chinese going forward.

Conquering Korea could also be an incredible propaganda victory for Chinese nationalism.

The loss of Korea to Japanese influence was one act in the Century of Humiliation. Regaining Korea proves that Chiang has made China G R E A T A G A I N.

Gian

Banned
One nitpick about Mongolia @Herr Frage. The Republic of China actually claims it as part of its territory, and Jiang would certainly not let go of it. (In fact, they still do have claims to it despite recognizing its independence (in 2002))

EDIT: Couldn't include the map somehow through my phone, but here it is.
2000px-ROC_Administrative_and_Claims.svg.png

Last edited:
One nitpick about Mongolia @Herr Frage. The Republic of China actually claims it as part of its territory, and Jiang would certainly not let go of it. (In fact, they still do have claims to it despite recognizing its independence (in 2002))

I did not know that about Mongolia. An interesting question of whether or not Chiang would recognize it here to make a puppet state; or still try to annex it. As for Jiang she would not be an issue because she would be first on his list, reuniting the Chinas under Nationalist rule would be his priority; Korea and Mongolia secondary to that.

Conquering Korea could also be an incredible propaganda victory for Chinese nationalism.

The loss of Korea to Japanese influence was one act in the Century of Humiliation. Regaining Korea proves that Chiang has made China G R E A T A G A I N.

Conquest of Korea would be quiet hard. Korea probably have quiet loyal army and people despite its view about Kim's regime is surely ready fight any invasion. Probably might try establish puppet state but even that might be difficult. Chiang anyway would last while on conquering North China. He probably is more intrested to take Mongolia and Tuva.

Gian

Banned
golia. An interesting question of whether or not Chiang would recognize it here to make a puppet state; or still try to annex it. As for Jiang she would not be an issue because she would be first on his list, reuniting the Chinas under Nati

BTW, I used the Pinyin form of Chiang's name (Jiang Jieshi) in my original post. Sorry for the confusion

Conquest of Korea would be quiet hard. Korea probably have quiet loyal army and people despite its view about Kim's regime is surely ready fight any invasion. Probably might try establish puppet state but even that might be difficult. Chiang anyway would last while on conquering North China. He probably is more intrested to take Mongolia and Tuva.

Which is a good argument for the first scenario where Kim's regime survives this turmoil in part because Koreas is seen as too tough a nut to be worth cracking.

But going along with Chiang deciding its worth it too bring Korea into the fold(I think a puppet regime lead by Korean exiles in the RoC is the most likely plan), and ITO is not going to interfere and maybe provide some aid, how might he go about it?

Dolan

Banned
My bet is Korea ended up becoming ITTL's version of Cuba, one of the last Commies who actually doing pretty good compared to other Commies.

Yes, they will ended up sheltering Ezo regime in exile, but maybe Kim could snatched some Nukes from a dying USSR and threaten to drop them ON JAPAN, if they were attacked by anyone. All while declaring that all they wanted is to be left alone.

Well...

Chiang is now a fascist. Strength through conquest is part of the whole fascist...program.

My bet is Korea ended up becoming ITTL's version of Cuba, one of the last Commies who actually doing pretty good compared to other Commies.

Yes, they will ended up sheltering Ezo regime in exile, but maybe Kim could snatched some Nukes from a dying USSR and threaten to drop them ON JAPAN, if they were attacked by anyone. All while declaring that all they wanted is to be left alone.

Kim might too backstab leaders of Ezo and hand them to Japanese and not support Ainu terrorists if ITO accepts form diplomatic relationships.

Well...

Chiang is now a fascist. Strength through conquest is part of the whole fascist...program.

Fascist like expansionism but they too know which they can take easily. They don't usually want go to war which might last long time and victory is uncertain.

Mosely was an Italian spy and once he was discovered, he fled to South Africa and put an end to the BUF being a force in British politics. The Iron Guard meanwhile I think were taken down during WWII.

Iron Guard probably was dissolved when it controlled Romania during WW2.