The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

That is a powerful round up chapter there @Sorairo

Was Churchill there as official British representative, or did the UK send someone?
Mr. Olympia in Rome? Well less far for a certain Austrian Oak to travel I guess.
Westerns in Libya instead of California? Does that mean the Old West has a lot less shows and stuff made in America since it would be seen as copying the Italians?
Soviet Space station first? Or moon shot?
I though the church was banned and suppressed in the USSR?
What happens to the water levels in the Med after the opening of the canal, and are the waters radioactive for long?

That is a powerful round up chapter there @Sorairo

Was Churchill there as official British representative, or did the UK send someone?
Mr. Olympia in Rome? Well less far for a certain Austrian Oak to travel I guess.
Westerns in Libya instead of California? Does that mean the Old West has a lot less shows and stuff made in America since it would be seen as copying the Italians?
Soviet Space station first? Or moon shot?
I though the church was banned and suppressed in the USSR?
What happens to the water levels in the Med after the opening of the canal, and are the waters radioactive for long?

Churchill was Britain's representative. Arnold was born too far after the POD for me to include him. Westerns fell out of style in the 60s/70s anyway so not much difference. The Space Race is about to get more interesting.

Suslov took a page from Stalin's book and allowed the Church to keep people happy enough with the current order not to revolt. With the intensity of famines, Suslov hopes that if people turn to God they won't be taking up arms just like in WW2.

The water level in the Med hasn't really fallen since it's still just going to come in from Gibraltar. The sheer scale of the oceanic movement was also too large for there to be much in the way of significant, permanent radiation (although the first ships to go through the El-Alamain Canal will have protective suits for crew members). The idea of using Nuclear weapons was actually an OTL idea by Americans to try to bribe Nasser into the West's camp.

American South seems getting some kind of peace altough there is still much of hate crimes and unfortunately it seems that full integration and equality of Blacks seems being slower. For example Alabama accepts biracial marriages some years later than in OTL. Hopefully US politics is more rational and willingful make compromises than in OTL.

North China is seemingly very similar as OTL North Korea. Ridicolous personal cult but unfortunately life of common people is just suffering.

USSR seemingly is facing its downfall soon. Just wondering what role Malenkov will has?

Let's see what kind of Duce Balbo will be. At least we know now that Italy will democratise at some point.

South China is a little bit ahead.
Considering the PRC tested their first nuke in 1964 and India tested their first nuke in 1974, when would you say would the nuclear programs of South China and India bear fruit? Would they be ahead or behind their OTL counterparts in developing nukes?

Considering the PRC tested their first nuke in 1964 and India tested their first nuke in 1974, when would you say would the nuclear programs of South China and India bear fruit? Would they be ahead or behind their OTL counterparts in developing nukes?

Next chapter will address that, although Chiang was delayed by the internal situation in South China.

Technically there is no North Korea, only Korea. Though I couldn't use the actual terms in the chapter, TTL's version of MST3K will mercilessly mock Jiang's 'career' as a matter of American duty.

She could end up playing a hero that is so terrible, you wind up rooting for the "bad guys."

I can forsee a future clash between Whites and Blacks as the cities in the Sun Belt and western US expand. As for nuclear weapons in Asia, I think it will be a race between South China and India. There will be Westerns on American television but I see the Italian/Spanish ones as more gritty and shades of gray. As for the Soviet Space program. I see probes all over the place but the economy will break before a Moon landing or space station.

Map of World - 1963
Map World 1963.png

The World in 1963 after Mussolini's death.

Last edited:
@Sorairo should the area that used to be Western Egypt be already shown as part of Libya?

Outstanding map.

When it comes to Egypt, the annexed area now has enough imported Balkan workers for the area to be considered colonized so by the end of 1963, it was declared a full province of Italy as Qattara.

I would also recommend making Rhodesia a more different colour from South Africa. I won't spoil much but the two countries will not have the same fate as each other ITTL, and certainly compared to their OTL counterparts. I'm not sure if there's a gap to show Rabat having been given 'independence'.

Last edited:
Outstanding map.

When it comes to Egypt, the annexed area now has enough imported Balkan workers for the area to be considered colonized so by the end of 1963, it was declared a full province of Italy as Qattara.

I would also recommend making Rhodesia a more different colour from South Africa. I won't spoil much but the two countries will not have the same fate as each other ITTL, and certainly compared to their OTL counterparts. I'm not sure if there's a gap to show Rabat having been given 'independence'.
Fixed 👍👍

BTW how was the reaction in Israel about the death of Mussolini?

Fixed 👍👍

BTW how was the reaction in Israel about the death of Mussolini?

One day's national mourning, streets named after him and the whole political spectrum lining up in droves to salute him. Leftists who didn't like him keep very quiet.

It will be a few years before serious criticism will start to emerge.

A lot to take in.

But an odd first impression I have is that with Balbo Indochina will not be getting Italy's backing to break from France. Balbo's priority is Europe and Africa, it seems. So another Asian ally would not be worth risking the special relationship France seems to have with the RA in Africa. So for Bao Dai's ally, I'd say either India or South China will help him get the French out.