The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

" tell them to give to them what they did to Jack twice over’.” For having stopped a small voter registration effort, those four Klansmen had awakened the unceasing wrath of the most powerful man on Earth. You don’t just kill a US serviceman. You don’t just kill a Medal of Honor winner. And you sure as Hell don’t kill a friend of the US President. They had doomed not only themselves and their organisation, but their whole world.

The Old Blood and Guts is enraged.

Jackie Robinson was the first American to receive the Medal of Honour during the fighting in China.

Is the post where Jackie got his Medal of Honour not threadmarked? I can't find it for some reason.

On the night of October 13th 1952, just outside of Cairo, Georgia (Robinson’s birthplace), the car was stopped by a posse of four men. All were drunk, all were members of the Klan and none of them had served in China (two had applied, with one turned down due to bad eyesight and the other due to intoxication issues). After a brief round of questions confirming their targets, Johnson’s three fellow white passengers were shot and killed. Johnson was taken from the car, tied up, beaten and hanged as per traditional lynching style. His last words, in response to how he was feeling in the midst of his torture were reportedly, “You can’t degrade me. You’re only degrading yourselves”. To add insult to injury, Robinsons’s corpse was dumped inside his birthplace, so unrecognizable that even those who grew up with him couldn’t recognise him. He still had his Medal of Honor in his pocket. The news spread fast though, and before it was even afternoon, word had reached the White House. As Vice-President Dewey recalled, when Patton received the news, “It looked like he’d heard a close member of his family died. George looked at me and said, ‘Get Hoover on the phone. Tell him to find the bastards who did this and tell them to give to them what they did to Jack twice over’.” For having stopped a small voter registration effort, those four Klansmen had awakened the unceasing wrath of the most powerful man on Earth. You don’t just kill a US serviceman. You don’t just kill a Medal of Honor winner. And you sure as Hell don’t kill a friend of the US President. They had doomed not only themselves and their organisation, but their whole world.

Wellp. That's convenient for Patton. The nazis are long dead, the commies want to throw in the towel. The KKK felt he might get bored and helpfully decided to pick a fight. I suspect that by the time his second term is over, civil rights for the black community of the USA will be about on par with what they were in the mid-late 60s OTL, give or take a better position in some areas and a worse one in others.

More like holding them up like shiny trophies.

Hopefully.

You know, it will be very ironic if Patton unleashed on the KKK ends up with an after the fact institution of something like the Miranda Rights.
Basically the rest of the country after seeing Patton come down on the KKK as hard as a Sherman Tank realize that people actually need some protections against what an enraged President wielding Federal Forces can do to citizens.

Because from where I’m standing, it’s looking to me like Patton will enforce Civil Rights with all the subtlety of Sherman’s March to the Sea.

I also had the thought of what an amazing picture it would be if Patton attends the funeral while dragging the Joint Chiefs of Staff with him to act as an Honor Guard. And some photographer snaps a picture of Patton, Saluting a Flag Draped Coffin with the Medal of Honor pined to it and surrounded by an Honor Guard of the most senior Generals & Admirals in the country.
Imagine a picture like that hitting the front pages of newspapers around the country, and simply titled “Never Again”

Considering Strom Thurmond's passionate pro-segregation stance, I would honestly love to see him try to filibuster any of Patton's legislation that even looks pro-civil rights, and this would lead to Patton having Hoover expose the existence of Thurmond's illegitimate child that he had with a black woman. I could see that easily killing his political career and likely deal a big blow to the Freedom Party.

Of course, how Muslim communities would cope with second-class citizenship would be something that should be tackled, right? Young and ambitious Muslims converting to Hinduism or joining organized crime networks (akin to how in Japan, about 90% of Yakuza members are either ethnic Koreans or the descendants of burakumin)?
Expect a large Pakistani/Muslim diaspora in East Africa and the Gulf States (think of the Irish during the Potato Famine). There also may be 'hidden' Muslims remaining in India co-existing with hidden Christian communities. The Indian government will not demolish monuments but will rename cities and emphasize the whole 'Hindutva' ideology.

I see Patton getting his face up on Mt. Rushmore. He seems to be racking up enough credit for it ITTL.

@Sorairo , any chance of us seeing this happen?

Patton might be too controversial in future that they want put his face to Rushmore. And IIRC rest of the rock is not stable enough that it could support fifth face anyway.

Considering Strom Thurmond's passionate pro-segregation stance, I would honestly love to see him try to filibuster any of Patton's legislation that even looks pro-civil rights, and this would lead to Patton having Hoover expose the existence of Thurmond's illegitimate child that he had with a black woman. I could see that easily killing his political career and likely deal a big blow to the Freedom Party.

I would like to see how FP tries cut its connections to KKK and other hate groups. If the party does that some extremists might leave FP.

Expect a large Pakistani/Muslim diaspora in East Africa and the Gulf States (think of the Irish during the Potato Famine). There also may be 'hidden' Muslims remaining in India co-existing with hidden Christian communities. The Indian government will not demolish monuments but will rename cities and emphasize the whole 'Hindutva' ideology.

There is surely much of discrimination towards Muslims but I don't think that government or local officials begin openly discriminate them at least not in massive scale. Christians are quiet small minority so it would be quiet pointless. And India hardly want frustrate other nations when it would need much of American and European money and investiment for re-building and developing the country.

I would like to see how FP tries cut its connections to KKK and other hate groups. If the party does that some extremists might leave FP.

Well considering that the Freedom Party persists likely past the Civil Rights phase, I think this is the likely scenario.

There is surely much of discrimination towards Muslims but I don't think that government or local officials begin openly discriminate them at least not in massive scale. Christians are quiet small minority so it would be quiet pointless. And India hardly want frustrate other nations when it would need much of American and European money and investiment for re-building and developing the country.

This more or less. I doubt they will make institutions that target against Muslims, but the discriminations will be there, likely to span a generation or two.

Because from where I’m standing, it’s looking to me like Patton will enforce Civil Rights with all the subtlety of Sherman’s March to the Sea.
Yes. If this TL was a TV series, we'd now be getting internet memes of Patton in a blonde wig going DRACARYS! at the Klan and its Allies.

You have offended the dragon, false white knights, awakened his grief. By fire or fang, you shall feel the dragon's wrath until he is satisfied.

His wrath is not easily satisfied.

You know I wonder at what the Middle East will look like. Benny had ambitions there OTL and the Saudis may not have American backing (IIRC the oil fields in the east were basically built from the ground up by US funding- with Saudi Arabia possibly caught in the crossfire of the Second Arab War Italy might decide to capitalize on the opportunity to carve out a niche or even a colony there.... probably in alliance with Britain, to drive the Yanks and Commies out, I suspect TTL's UK won't be letting the Trucial States go so easily).

I'm honestly wondering now, who will emerge as the opposition to the Republicans now that the FP is about to be slaughtered by Patton...I could see Barry heading the way with a defection from the party in the 60s to build a conservative alliance, also possibly a Progessive front who are always loudly anti communist (maybe Scoop Jackson for Leader)

I think it’s also a reference to the idea of a weaker federal government and allowing the states to decide how best to run themselves.
So basically the useless party?

On a sidenote, is it just me, or is Islam getting the shaft here? ME's been fucked to hell and back, India's looking like there might be another Civil Rights movement in a few decades..... That's kinda the big clusters, in my bad memory, admittedly.....