The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

At this point, I'd expect democratic senators to start the vote to impeach wallace.

Israel will likely see aid from the RA at this point. I wonder who will come to Chiang's aid - for some reason I don't see Mao having it all go his way in this timeline.

I still dislike the 'ETO' name. Making it a European treaty organisation discourages successful colonial nations from joining. At this point, they could really do with the democratic-nations-not-led-by-imbeciles club also including the (non-hyper-racist) British dominions, Brazil and any other functioning South American nation. Hopefully, the organization will not keep the bland and exclusive name for long.

Edit: Meant to type exclusive, not inclusive.

Last edited:
At this point, I'd expect democratic senators to start the vote to impeach wallace.

Israel will likely see aid from the RA at this point. I wonder who will come to Chiang's aid - for some reason I don't see Mao having it all go his way in this timeline.

I still dislike the 'ETO' name. Making it a European treaty organisation discourages successful colonial nations from joining. At this point, they could really do with the democratic-nations-not-led-by-imbeciles club also including the (non-hyper-racist) British dominions, Brazil and any other functioning South American nation. Hopefully, the organization will not keep the bland and inclusive name for long.

It’s not too much of a spoiler, but the ETO name will change.

Excellent update!

Poor Poles - I hope the West provides some support to the refugees!

The democratic nations of Europe won't - they didn't help Holocaust survivors. The Fascists on the other hand can find ample use for rabidly anti-Communist, dispossessed whites, just not on the European mainland.

The democratic nations of Europe won't - they didn't help Holocaust survivors. The Fascists on the other hand can find ample use for rabidly anti-Communist, dispossessed whites, just not on the European mainland.

Lots of Poles in England dating back to the War years. Esp in home town.

Lots of Poles in England dating back to the War years. Esp in home town.

Obviously some will be accepted - but a country like Britain (still under rationing) or France (shot to pieces during the war) won't have the resources to take in the gigantic waves of migrants flooding out of the country. And when the Fascists are begging for them to be their colonisers? It's not a choice: Annoy your allies and piss off your electorate or help your allies accomplish their foreign policy goals and don't suffer the backlash of 'I can't afford food for my family but these Poles are coming in and can get whatever they want' electoral politics.

I am not sure how fortified or patrolled the borders between the RA and Eastern Bloc are but I would think the Poles could receive some weapons and volunteers from fellow Catholics.

I am not sure how fortified or patrolled the borders between the RA and Eastern Bloc are but I would think the Poles could receive some weapons and volunteers from fellow Catholics.

The Polish Resistance don’t have to worry about volunteers or money for weapons, that’s for darned sure.

Great display of Moral cowardice on Wallace’s part

Just to be the 'devil's advocate', Wallace reaction is very human and understable (and frankly many and many men will had done it); he truly believed that Stalin was the reasonable one and the best ally to the cause of democracy, a position that the internal american situation entrenched in his mind and frankly the fact that on the other side there was the founder of fascism and the most imperialistist of the imperialist really helped.
Finally face reality and put in discussion every choice done till now, is an extremely hard thing to do for everyone regardless of the political and religious believe, as, to made a recent example, IRC only former SecDef McNamara said in public many time that the Vietnam war was a total mistake, not only on how was waged but the entire american partecipation in that conflict

pol.png

Thoughts on this:
  • Officially communism will be regarded as a mostly equal to nazism.
  • If Poland becomes free, communism will become a capital offence.
  • Wallace, Rosenbergs, I don't know what your fates will be ... but I hope y'all suffer a slowly and painful death.
  • Stalin=Hitler 2.0
Warsaw: YOU SHALL BE AVENGED!!

Not that it matters anyway, since he'll be kicked out of office. Of course something tells me, with what he just witnessed, I think the latter part of that sentence may end up becoming true.

Settling these Poles in Britain or France itself might not be all that common this close to the war's end, but I definitely see at least as many ending up in Canada as might be settled in Libya or Angola. While the latter two are in the domains of catholic nations who would have extra incentives to let in some brave Poles, Canada's vast expanse has a far better climate for one used to European conditions.

The more I read this, the more I hope there is a TL where Wallace is a good president.
How Silent fall the Cherry Blossoms is a timeline that briefly has a Wallace presidency that portrays him in a competent light.
On-topic, I do hope that the Rosenburgs manage to avoid getting killed. From what the timeline indicates, they were well-meaning idealists who, unlike Wallace, DO admit that they were wrong about Stalin and work to undo a small portion of the damage they created.

Stalin=Hitler 2.0

That was pretty much always the case though? He just had the Aura of beating the Nazis OTL.

Ah Wallace....You are clearly noticing how badly you fucked up.
Nobody is going to trust the US once they knows about...well, everything. Wallace GIVING the nuke is definitely not going to look good.
First Finland, now Poland...:closedtongue:

How Silent fall the Cherry Blossoms is a timeline that briefly has a Wallace presidency that portrays him in a competent light.
On-topic, I do hope that the Rosenburgs manage to avoid getting killed. From what the timeline indicates, they were well-meaning idealists who, unlike Wallace, DO admit that they were wrong about Stalin and work to undo a small portion of the damage they created.
Well, I was talking about a full-term Wallace presidency. I genuinely like Wallace, and I really do want to see him have a semi-decent presidency. Unfortunately, considering the circumstances that were in place by the time FDR died, a Wallace presidency wouldn’t exactly have the best chance of being good.

I think he might have a shot at a decent presidency in an Axis Victory scenario, since he was very much against the Nazis and might be smarter on foreign policy in that kind of situation. However, aside from that, the odds aren’t exactly in Henry’s favor.

Stalin had ordered a unilateral declaration of independence of Slovakia, who signed the Stalingrad Pact on the first day of the slave state’s new existence

Interesting. A reminder of the writers bias.

I am guessing Czechia is still officially called Czechoslovakia?

Alas Poland. The Bloody Valentine shall mot be forgotten.

And the Soviet Union is bleeding both from war wounds and these occupations lacking much support even from the local communists.

I am honestly wondering if Wallace will live long enough to be impeached. The republicans can be assured of victory but many people including the Polish and Jewish-Americans will see him as the great ally of their people's enemy and want revenge. And just plain old antiCommunists too. Even hoover may be a bit wary about dropping this bomb. Because what it will look like is that POTUS is indeed a traitor to the union. This won't just be getting Wallace nd his supporters thrown out it will be an unprecedented shakeup.

I am guessing in addition to Polish refugees there will be Slovakians as well. And not all the Finnish refugees will end up in Sweden either.

As for Israel, its time to see what the combination of Rommel and the fledgling IDF can do. And to ee what Rome and Ankara have cooked up in the kitchen. The Roman Alliance will likely win point with the West, but not just further cooperation after the Valentine, but because presently they are going to strike back against Stalin's allies.

I kinda want to see RA and ETO getting ISOT to TNO timeline. The nazi is gone but now in it place is credible and stable fascist regimes, Imperialistic Britain and right wing republics. Wonder how the OFN will react.

Just a quick question to everyone so that I can keep a realism to the story:

Would an impeachment in the senate allow the form of conviction, or would it only kick Wallace out and he gets another trial later to determine his fate?