The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

I dunno, the damage may be irreparable at this point. The best thing to do is for America to just reinvent its standing from square one, such was the damage Wallace has done to America's international standing.

Yeah, Wallace, for as bad as Buchanan was, wasn't so bad he literally killed the entire party, of which mind you, I thought would've endured Wallace. Turns out I was wrong, unsurprisingly.

Problem is, I don't see the Freedom Party's chances lasting too long either, so who will become the rivals to the Republican Party now?

Depends if the Freedom Party remains a mostly Southern Party. Despite the hatred people have for Wallace, Northern States won't be eager to vote for open segregationists.

If they can attract white, blue collar voters, they might be able to become the party of the working man everywhere.

If not, they might go the way of the Whigs, and another left-wing party might take its place.

A possibility I see for the Freedom Party would be trying to expand into the West, possibly with Goldwater as the Point man to try and make themselves “Mr. Conservative” instead of “Mr. Segregation” with the GOP becoming a big tent party whose only focus is moderation. Perhaps a Leftie Party comes out of the ruins to try and become a third wheel in the system.

A possibility I see for the Freedom Party would be trying to expand into the West, possibly with Goldwater as the Point man to try and make themselves “Mr. Conservative” instead of “Mr. Segregation” with the GOP becoming a big tent party whose only focus is moderation. Perhaps a Leftie Party comes out of the ruins to try and become a third wheel in the system.
I can imagine the post-Patton presidency republican eastern establishment retaining control of the party with the help of moderate Democrats while kicking the McCarthyite wing to the Freedom party camp and an election somewhen in the '60s between Nixon/Brown (R) and Goldwater/Wallace (F) or something like this.
@Sorairo I'm reading this TL for a while, Great TL!

I can imagine the post-Patton presidency republican eastern establishment retaining control of the party with the help of moderate Democrats while kicking the McCarthyite wing to the Freedom party camp and an election somewhen in the '60s between Nixon/Brown (R) and Goldwater/Wallace (F) or something like this.
@Sorairo I'm reading this TL for a while, Great TL!

So could we see an Eisenhower-style Republican Party (we love business, but we've made peace with the New Deal)?

Mussolini when Wallace is no longer president of the USA:

article-0-0065890C00000258-345_233x388.jpg

Been reading since the start, love the timeline. I come on this site to read it lol, have a bookmark for the timeline.

Worried about the ominous “Wallace not living long enough to see himself condemned”. Is he going to be killed?

Been reading since the start, love the timeline. I come on this site to read it lol, have a bookmark for the timeline.

Worried about the ominous “Wallace not living long enough to see himself condemned”. Is he going to be killed?

I was thinking suicide or his health continues to spiral. The man has not just been beaten, he had discredited nearly Evey stance he stood on. In stead of advancing his agenda like Thurmond remarked Wallace may see himself as the man who damaged his own side more than the enemy. And its a certainty Patton who he hates will become President with a Republican dominated congress backing him.

Oh, and Stalin betrayed his faith in the USSR. So all Wallace did there was for naught too.

Wallace is feeling, well failure would be an understatement.

No sympathy for the Republicans getting their plan hampered by Patton. They worked hard to get Patton, now they have to deal with him. I hope they are up to the task.

Well after the Martin interlude we will get to see what a Patton presidency looks like.

But, now time for Mussolini's boot to come down and leave a footprint.

So could we see an Eisenhower-style Republican Party (we love business, but we've made peace with the New Deal)?
Considering how the New Deal could possibly be considered part of Wallace's legacy since he wholeheartedly supported it, I'd be surprised if Patton doesn't completely butcher it when he becomes President.

h
I was thinking suicide or his health continues to spiral. The man has not just been beaten, he had discredited nearly Evey stance he stood on. In stead of advancing his agenda like Thurmond remarked Wallace may see himself as the man who damaged his own side more than the enemy. And its a certainty Patton who he hates will become President with a Republican dominated congress backing him.

Oh, and Stalin betrayed his faith in the USSR. So all Wallace did there was for naught too.

Wallace is feeling, well failure would be an understatement.

No sympathy for the Republicans getting their plan hampered by Patton. They worked hard to get Patton, now they have to deal with him. I hope they are up to the task.

Well after the Martin interlude we will get to see what a Patton presidency looks like.

But, now time for Mussolini's boot to come down and leave a footprint.

Oh man, you really summarized just how much Wallace screwed himself.

Buchanan OTL at least made an attempt to defend his actions, but Wallace ITTL won't be able to show his own face in public, with his whole actions totally discredited.

Considering how the New Deal could possibly be considered part of Wallace's legacy since he wholeheartedly supported it, I'd be surprised if Patton doesn't completely butcher it when he becomes President.

1948 wasn't really the time for a whole Southern Strategy type candidacy. OTL Harry Truman still managed to win a good number of Southern states, because back then union labor was still important, and the population was much, much poorer.

TTL, I don't think Patton could really get away with destroying the New Deal, especially during a period with recession.