The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

ATL to OTL is the same as fanfiction to canon.
Not really - mainly because of the pure timescale.

If you took Hitler and indoctrinated him with communist propaganda from a young age he wouldn't end up a fascist. If communism someone falls in the 1950s then future communist leaders of the 1970s will be utterly unrecognisable.

Yeah, that was the weakest part of my criticism.
I completely understand you're criticism, it was well written and addressed a genuine understandable concern.

Definitely points where I thought "that's a lot of dead people of a specific race" - not trying to insinuate anything, I am aware why the author wrote what he did and that it is in no way to do with race.

One issue I see with your criticism is that "But they didn't do such a thing in OTL" is a point commonly used.

So what if they didn't OTL? This is TTL.
That should be the slogan of this site 😂
ATL to OTL is the same as fanfiction to canon.

It depends on how far you push it. People sometimes will write Notzi alternate history where Hitler or whoever is in charge acts sensibly and isn't an anti-semitic genocidal racist. That isn't plausible at all, and it sometimes is people not so subtly using it to push their wehraboo wet dreams. You'll also see Confederate victory scenarios where the slaves get freed later on without any of the "bad feelings or racial antipathy from OTL reconstruction." That was never going to happen.

This, though, doesn't particularly strain belief. Mussolini was a guy given to changing his mind on stuff and it's not like Italy becomes a racially enlightened, non-brutal democracy.

This, though, doesn't particularly strain belief. Mussolini was a guy given to changing his mind on stuff and it's not like Italy becomes a racially enlightened, non-brutal democracy.

And, what's more, it wasn't even like he became good-ish overnight. He wasn't willing to be a direct ally of Germany due to the fact that they indiscriminately hated the man who saved his life for no good reason, sure. But, although he wasn't a member of the Axis Powers, he didn't do jack shit to stop the Axis for the first several years of World War II.

Also, he didn't save the German Jews out of the goodness of his heart. He brought them in to help consolidate Italian control in Libya, not for humanitarian reasons.

Only seeing the plight of the Hungarian Jews and the horrors of the Holocaust made Mussolini want to protect Jewish people out of the goodness of his heart rather than merely feeling uncomfortable in response to anti-Semitism and helping small numbers of Jews for the sake of increasing his political power. It was only after Hitler went to war with Italy that he became someone who could arguably be described as an "enlightened despot." But even after that, he wrecked the Slovenes and Arabs.

Also, it isn't like it's only right-wing dictators who get a positive treatment here. ITTL, Kim Il-Sung, the guy who, without exaggeration, founded the worst government in existence in the modern world IOTL, gets turned into the most benevolent Communist dictator in the world here. And his rule is still mythologized in TTL Korea up until the present day.

Yet, for some strange reason, none of the people accusing this timeline of being "fascist apologia" are also complaining about this timeline being "Juche apologia." Hmmm....