The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

I foresee Cyprus becoming a flashpoint... You have an island inhabited by Greeks and Turks mainly, belonging to Britain and you have in their mother countries fascist regimes who would be eager (especially when there is no strong Italian leadership in the RA) to instigate some form of rebellion in the island. We will see probably a 3-way conflict;
Greek Cypriots will be fighting British
Turkish Cypriots will be fighting British
Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots will be fighting each other.
What a mess!
And of course, the fascist regime in Greece will probably collapse rather soon.

And the fascists, no doubt, would love to stir the pot. As history teaches us, Turkey especially would be keen on....reuniting with other Turks.

Cyprus is an integrated part of the UK ITTL. It happened in part because the Greek Cypriots wanted protection from Turkish adventurism and had no desire to unite with Collaborationist Greece. While Turkish Fascists are causing Troubles I expect many of the local Turks are ProBritish because they don't want to live under a fascist regime. Cyprus may also be a haven for AntiFascist Turks.

Deleted member 109224

It would be ironic seeing an Italianized Gaddafi become Governor of Libya or heck lead a Neo-Fascist Movement.

How about Muammar Gadaffi, Duce of Italy? :p

I imagine British Cyprus has many people other than Greeks and Turks now. The Second Arab War probably resulted in a lot of people moving there. Lebanese Armenians likely had to get out of Lebanon after the annexation by the UAR and Cyprus would make sense. There might be immigrants from the former USSR as well.
There is likely a little British community there too on account of all of the British soldiers present.
The Greek population is probably buttressed by folks from the Greek puppet state wanting someplace to get to.

The island is probably pretty diverse, given all of the tumult.

Deleted member 109224

In a democratic Italy, I picture Italian Gaddafi (lets call him Mario Guaddafi) as being a TTL Berlusconi, with his flamboyant behavior, manipulative charm, insatiable lust, and brashness.

This is fantastic. And his Green Book is an international best seller celebrated by [insert adherents of the ideology he follows here] the world over!

Deleted member 109224

By the way, why is it that Chad and the CAR merged TTL? Was this something considered historically?

Zagan

Donor
By the way, why is it that Chad and the CAR merged TTL? Was this something considered historically?
It's not an issue of merging but of not being separated in the first place. In OTL, there had never been a border there, both present day countries being part of the same territorial unit, French Equatorial Africa.

Not that I'm aware of. ITTL the French were worried that a significant Italian presence in Africa could let them easily influence small successor states through economics, especially ones bording their territory. The territories were often combined to ensure that they would be big enough to work without Italy but not big enough to shake off France.

This is fantastic. And his Green Book is an international best seller celebrated by [insert adherents of the ideology he follows here] the world over!

Considering how TTL Mussolini has a similar reputation in Italy that OTL Chiang Kai Shek has in Taiwan, it is possible for a strong neo-fascist movement to come to power.

Italian Gaddafi, with his Italio-Libyan roots, his flamboyance, and his charisma, would be seen as a welcome throwback to a more "glorious" age.

Also with Italy slowly democratizing under Ciano, imagine an equivalent of the Years of Lead.

There are Political Paramilitary Groups that are at it pulling off Terrorist Attacks. Thus you have Hardline Fascists or Factions in the PNF who oppose Ciano's Reforms, where these Hardliners attempt to overthrow Ciano and keep the Fascist rule. And then you have resurgent Leftist Parties that also emerge.

Last edited:
Her foreign policy also emphasised building genuine ties with the regional powers, speaking to the discomfort many Israelis felt after the extent of destruction unleashed in Operation Samson. She developed strong working relationships with Anwar Sadat in South Egypt, the Emirs of the Arab Federation and King Hussein in the Kingdom of Hejaz. But it was in Syria where she had the best effect, meeting King Faisal, who had suffered from depression and repeated attempts at suicide due to the horrendous position he found himself in as the loathed puppet of an eternally chained state. Frank’s correspondence would prove miraculous to his mental health and confidence. With Frank’s support on the matter, he would finally go public with his mental health struggles in March 1982, becoming one of the pioneers in supporting mental health support around the world.
How much has Anne Frank's foreign policy enabled Arabs to feel some degree of optimism about the future, something they haven't probably experienced since the nightmare of the Second Arabian War and the draconian peace terms imposed on them?

300 Pages of Italian Adventures!

Thank you @Sorairo for this amazing work.

B2D446DC-A260-45B3-AC7D-9E1D8E3D6B4C.png

300 pages of a great timeline and discussion thereof.

Before the next update I am going to again predict Ciano ending the war in Ethiopia quickly. Which will anger the SAs but make the Bulgarians and Biafarans happy. Ciano full on dictatorship I think will last three years until 78 at which pont he will give in and begin democratization. But even with the ballot box the Fascists will remain in power until the 90s, when AntiFascists finally win despite the rules lawyering, gerrymandering etc., where we then see things like the OVRAS dirty laundry declassified.

300 pages indeed...in just 12 months and a half.😲
Thank you very much @Sorairo for this amazing timeline!🤩 I hope you'll do another great one!😉
Now we'll see how things end for the RA...

300 pages indeed...in just 12 months and a half.😲
Thank you very much @Sorairo for this amazing timeline!🤩 I hope you'll do another great one!😉
Now we'll see how things end for the RA...

I’m grateful for your words of kindness.

Unfortunately, this will probably be my first and indeed last TL. I’ve been neglecting some of my novels in development to focus on this TL, and I really want to get them done soon. Also Japanese learning and Ironman training and work takes up a lot of time. You’ll notice I haven’t commented in threads outside of this one because I am resolutely focussed on bringing this to conclusion.

I never expected this TL to last over a year, and I’m not sure I would have started if I did. I thought I’d be done by Summer, but I had to add so much context to plot points and give them conclusions that it just grew exponentially. I would and indeed COULD NOT have finished without the outpouring of help this TL got. Every post, every like spurred me to keep going to the finish line. By the end of the month, I’ll be there.

I can’t totally close the door on a new TL, but given the sheer scope of this TL, it’s hard to find a new location I really want to explore. I’ll probably drop in once in a while to answer questions but that’s likely all I’ll be able to do.

Next update will be today. I think there will be two more after this one and then quick summary of events between the early 80s and 2020 (the good and the bad).