The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

What was the death toll of the American troubles in total and by race? And did armed insurrection by blacks in the south lead to an increase of police brutality, especially shootings, nationwide?

What was the death toll of the American troubles in total and by race? And did armed insurrection by blacks in the south lead to an increase of police brutality, especially shootings, nationwide?

About 7000 deaths were recorded in the course of the 1953 -1959 conflict (remember, this was ‘leave your front door unlocked’ levels of low crime time). The Klan killed more than half (90% civilians) that with the remainder split between Black insurgents (Half security forces and civilians, other half the Klan and allies), security forces and other parties.

The police have been even more cruel to blacks up north than usual for fear of a general uprising

I wonder what kind of butterflies have hit Australia and Oceania? The only one I can readily think of being stated, is Australia occupying the whole of New Guinea as a result of the crisis in Indonesia.

Taiwan-style transition: A moderate within the Fascist Party could come to power and slowly crack the system open, with another successor opening the door to democracy.
Considering that 60% of Italians have a positive view of Mussolini in TTL's 2020, things seem to be going like this.

Considering that 60% of Italians have a positive view of Mussolini in TTL's 2020, things seem to be going like this.

As stated, I think Mussolini's reputation is like "Italian Napoleon". He might be seen as one of the "Great Men" of history. But like all "Great Men," their achievements came with a tremendous price tag in human lives.

Dolan

Banned
As stated, I think Mussolini's reputation is like "Italian Napoleon". He might be seen as one of the "Great Men" of history. But like all "Great Men," their achievements came with a tremendous price tag in human lives.
ITTL ASB scenario: What if Mussolini ISOT-ed to Napoleon?

ITTL ASB scenario: What if Mussolini ISOT-ed to Napoleon?
Probably won’t end up well? Mussolini success in this TL is not from him alone but also his men and luck. So I imagine it won’t exactly goes well except for having future knowledge that could make him more successful.

Probably won’t end up well? Mussolini success in this TL is not from him alone but also his men and luck. So I imagine it won’t exactly goes well except for having future knowledge that could make him more successful.
I'm thinking this wouldn't work at all. From what I can tell, Mussolini didn't even *attempt* to direct wars at a level below "Let's invade X". Trying to pull off something like the Battle of Austerlitz would be completely beyond him.

I would think the Italians and Alliance would have well developed Air and Naval Forces for rapid deployments. By the late 60s the Armies will have started a tradition to air mobile and counter insurgency operation with less heavy armor. Everyone will have some sort of Special Forces for showing off the national colors.

On YouTube, there is a whole series from TED called "History Vs."

It explores the more morally ambiguous figures of history, applying a "warts and all'' attitude to people like Nixon and even Genghis Kahn.

I'm guessing TTL might have a "History Vs." attitude toward Mussolini.

"Mussolini overthrew Democracy in Italy and became a dictator."

"Mussolini brought peace to a destabilized country, and many Italians were angry over the failure of the allies to honor agreements in the first World War."

"Mussolini rescued the Jews and helped defeat the Nazis."

"Mussolini committed terrible acts of suppression against Slovenians, Ethiopians, and Libyans. He committed many terrible deeds to build a second Roman Empire"

"He brought modernity to places like Eritrea and Libya. In Ethiopia, he fought against a traditional elite that supported slavery and suppressed Islam."

"Mussolini glassed the Middle East."

"The forces of Aflaq had chemical weapons."

"Italy was made into a horrible tyranny for decades."

"Italy was made into a mighty nation in a time when many people thought of Italy as an ungovernable mess."

Last edited:
On the other hand, it may mean that post-Fascist, ostensibly democratic Italy isn't exactly a happy place. Perhaps it goes the way of OTL's Russia, complete with the post-Imperial resentment and some strongman politician that has managed to capitalize on it.

Last edited: