The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by Sorairo, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Whiteshore Defender of Myrcella Baratheon

Besides, the fact Nasser said "Egypt", even if ignored at the time, when announcing the nationalization of the Suez Canal suggests he has his own agenda seperate from that of Aflaq.

2. wabbitking Member

I know its not a war of choice. What I mean is that I believe the Italian military will move to secure and defend their colonies before committing major resources and manpower to another major front.

Ogrebear and Alpha-King98760 like this.
  3. naraht Well-Known Member

The difference is that Libya has a lot more "depth" than Israel does.

4. RyuDrago Italian? Yes, but also Roman

It was stated that Nasser considered the UAR an alliance of convenience and nothing more. But I guess he got too impressed by the fast pace of the expansion of the entity, and also, it was too much of a golden chance seizing the Suez and invading Libya. Nasser acted as OTL Mussolini when enter WWII, thinking of his thousand losses to bring at the peace table. We'll see how this will going - because if someone noticed, in Libya didn't explode local dissent...

By the way, Morocco couldn't even count over French support in case of defeat - whatever Franco will take from them, Paris would not oppose it this time. In part for being common allies, in part because France would have their hands full with Algeria and Tunisia.

5. novussa Well-Known Member

Franco is dancing and shouting with joy he can finally restore a bit of the spanish empire it Will be good pr for him in spain.

6. Adrien_skywalker Well-Known Member

You know, If MacArthur is still alive, he might finally be able to create that nuclear wasteland of his as a battlefield response if he gets appointed as the overall commander. Patton, Mussolini, Balbo, De Gaulle and Rommel at one side. Aflaq is so hilariously outgunned that it is not even remotely funny. Only the fact that this is going to be such a horrible bloodbath keeps it sober. But this is such a great timeline, it is almost surreal.

7. Talus I of Dixie We need to wank Venice

Don't forget that the Lehi - yep the same (jew...lol) group that requested the nazis for help - is integrated in the israeli military, this makes the potential of the disaster insanously bigger

Yikes

Dolan likes this.
  8. Herr Frage Jesus Christ Is In Heaven

Behind a black gate and to the left of a grove
    Hmm, we have been talking about the major powers; but what about the other Europeans? It looks like Sweden will sit out but what about the rest?

Might the new Austrian army make a contribution? Will the Portuguese send anything? Has West Germany re-formed a military to send anything? The Netherlands and Belgium probably have their hands full in their colonial holdings. What about Norway and Denmark? Bulgaria and Croatia?

9. Lalli Well-Known Member

Scandinavian monarchies probably would stay out from this war. Sweden might send some military equipments to Israel but hardly anything else. But some Swedish Jews might be volunteers in Israel.

Germany might too send military equipments but hardly anything else. Even Rommel is probably already retired when he would be already 64 years old.

Netherlands and Belgium might have enough doing with their own colonies.

Portugal might send seme forces depending how sympathic Salazar is with Israeli cause and how loyal he is for Italy. And he might be still other doing in colonies. Franco is totally tied with Morocco and he is not most pro-Jews fascist here.

Croatia and Bulgaria might send some troops to Middle East. Altough Bulgaria might has some problems with its own Serb and Greek minorities.

Austria might send some troops. Hungary and Romania probably as neutrals want stay out of this war.

10. Herr Frage Jesus Christ Is In Heaven

Hmm, more than a Debt of Honor, it would be a chance for Chiang to really push the RoC as a global player.

True it looks good for him to come to the aid of his allies from the Chinese War; but sending troops far abroad to fight also helps establish the idea that the Republic of China is a global power player. Trying to pull themselves up as equal to the West in the geopolitics of the Cold War. With at home it being sold as a symbol of China's true return as a Great Power; fighting alongside the Western Powers as an equal against the Red Menace in distant lands.

And of course credit for this return to greatness being given to the dictator himself. And easing any lingering bitterness among nationalists about Chiang letting Tibet and East Turkestan breakaway.

So yeah after having two years plus to start rebuilding his country, I could definitely see him putting out a military expedition force to push his brand in the Cold War.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  11. wabbitking Member

Yeah I think china will send at least a token force. But the question I'm wondering is where will they be deployed so many potential fronts so many possibilities...

Alpha-King98760 likes this.
  12. Dolan Lookin fer Gooby

I expect North Africa to still within European hands even in 21st century.

Egypt included.

13. Lalli Well-Known Member

Probably lesser or more. Spain is going to keep Northern Morocco and Western Sahara. Morocco might become Spanish puippet. It is too possible that it becomes Berber-dominated Apartheid state.

Algeria will remain longer on hands of French. We already know from Balbo's interview that France has troubles there. And even if France can't hold whole Algeria it probably can keep Northern Algeria making rest of Algeria landlocked country which is on mercy of France.

I think that monarchy is restored to Tunisia and it becomes Italian protectoreate.

Libya is going remain as part of Italy very very long time. There is not way how it could become independent.

Egypt probably loses Sinai to Israel. Perhaps Alexandria becomes semi-independent Coptic state. Monarchy might be restored but the country is effectively co-occupation of Italy and UK.

14. thekingsguard Founder of Korsgaardianism

Whelp, time to get the ol' baseball bat out

[​IMG]

15. thekingsguard Founder of Korsgaardianism

Yeah though, North Africa is going to be European terra firma for a long time now.

I think this is where Italy takes Tunisia too.

16. novussa Well-Known Member

North Africa What do you mean it is called southern europé ;)

17. Herr Frage Jesus Christ Is In Heaven

I do not think so actually.

France pulled out of Tunisia for a reason and those reasons aren't going to vanish. And France is in for a long slog with Algeria. Plus no one but Italy will want Italy to have Tunisia. Also retaining colonies is one thing, but seizing new ones I don't think will fly with too much of the public outside the RA. the bey was pursuing a ProFrench agenda so the beys may be coming back.

Tunisia likely stays independent but will get a gelded military with French and Italian bases both in the country to ensure its security.

Egypt seems too big/populace and too high profile to recolonize. So Sinai will go to Israel. Suez gets international status or something. Italy will either take some off the western border or try for a Coptic puppet state of some kind carved out; assuming it takes any territory. Even if it doesn't lose vast territory the country will likely face crippling reparations and military restrictions. King Farouk was not only an aggressor in the last war. but launched an antisemitic campaign, so his family likely won't be getting much support for a return.

18. SavoyTruffle I am the modren man

I looked at "Stupid Evil" in the dictionary and Michel Aflaq's picture came up.

19. Bookmark1995 Bookmark95 Reborn!

Jamie Lee Curtis: To call (him) stupid would be an insult to stupid people.

20. novussa Well-Known Member

Maybe imbecill is the right term

Alpha-King98760 likes this.