The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

While there was some interest in joining the US, the US was not that interested once Canada assured Truman that they would respect the US's basing rights. Plus it was very doubtful that it would be admitted as a state and I doubt that Newfoundland would be happy as a northern Puerto Rico. The referendum that was held also did not offer union with the UK as a choice as the UK did not want the financial burden. The "Commission of Government" option (ie colony) only got about 14% of the vote in the first referendum in any event.

How do you think it might go in this Timeline?

How do you think it might go in this Timeline?

Too tight to call I would think. Either joining Canada or staying independent could easily be justified by the author. The OTL second referendum was 52% to 47% roughly. How this was influenced by various factors is up to debate. The UK stated that they would not pay Newfoundland's debt, there was considerable anti-French and Catholic rabble rousing, and Joey Smallwood's influence was important (malign influence according to some).

Wow! Its one thing to see it. Mao really messed up. No one can say Patton didn't get his "rollback of the Reds."

We can hope that as bad as Chiang might be his son will succeed him and follow something like his OTL path I suppose.

Wow! Its one thing to see it. Mao really messed up. No one can say Patton didn't get his "rollback of the Reds."

We can hope that as bad as Chiang might be his son will succeed him and follow something like his OTL path I suppose.

Depends. The ROC might swing more towards fascist tendencies. The Americans arrived in time, but were the Italians who saved Chiang from capitulating in the continent. But is more probable the KMT would alternate its favours between Italy and America in the next decades.

Depends. The ROC might swing more towards fascist tendencies. The Americans arrived in time, but were the Italians who saved Chiang from capitulating in the continent. But is more probable the KMT would alternate its favours between Italy and America in the next decades.

More likely is what I'd say. I can see Chiang and his successors try to rebuild China to ultimately challenge the global order in their favor.

Italy might have its hands tied (maintaining its colonial empire) to be of help to the ROC. Right now, America is the biggest donor to the ROC, so it will be possible America will try and push the Kuomintang into the right direction.

If Finland is Soviet, Id expect Karelia merged with it with the Vyborg corridor included as well.

Thus implying that after the collapse of the soviet union, Finland would stretch to the White Sea? Would be a decent consolation for the occupation, one supposes.

If Finland is Soviet, Id expect Karelia merged with it with the Vyborg corridor included as well.

Stalin had some ideas create bigger Finnish Soviet Republic during Winter War but not sure if he would had changed his mind later. Perhaps Russian Karelia could be integrated to Finland but not sure how willingful Stalin would be do that anymore in 1944.

If it breaks up.

There is already some hints that something is going to happen in end of 1960's/early 1970's when Soviet archives are opened and Poland is liberated. So if USSR is not dissolved at least it is liberalised and greatly reformed. It only just depends who gets leadership after Stalin's brething is stopped.

What if Malenkov has his religious awakening earlier? He might move beyond half hearted toleration, towards a putin style bargain with the Orthodox Church.

He found God after Nitka gave him the gate, and became a lay reader in the local Orthodox Church. Rumor was he used his elder statesmen status to shield a few less pliant priests. Im purposing he remain in the Presidium and convince the comrades to loosen up.

I can't Malenkov being succesful changing religious politics. Perhaps he can finish Second Holocaust but hardly more. Malenkov wasn't such strongman like Stalin.

If RA can get ROC to join it then it is practically guaranteed to left their secondary power and truly become first rate power.

If RA can get ROC to join it then it is practically guaranteed to left their secondary power and truly become first rate power.
In a few decades perhaps (if everything goes well), right now the region known as china is basically a desolate, smoking ruin full of the dead and those who envy the dead...

In a few decades perhaps (if everything goes well), right now the region known as china is basically a desolate, smoking ruin full of the dead and those who envy the dead...
Yeah they got long way to recover, but China still have crap load of potential in the future.

Yeah they got long way to recover, but China still have crap load of potential in the future.
So did OTL Brazil and Argentinia, but it never seems to work out for them.
Note that I'm not saying that China can't eventually become a powerhouse compared to OTL together with eventually democratizing Taiwan style. I'd just also disagree with the notion that Chinas rise post-WW2 was in any way some assured historic nevitability.

Though I still don’t think full democratization might not happen. With Italian helping them quite a lot Chinese Italian ties might be very strong which may result in China moving in similar direction.

I mean Communist cause so much destruction that I think red scare and fear of anything left related will be really strong which mean any Democracy that born out of it will not entirely be a fair one.

I'd say at least the western part of Soviet Karelia would get joined with Finland. It is possible that the OTL Karelian ASSR will get split between the Finnish SSR and the Russian SFSR, maybe roughly along the Murmansk railway.