The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by Sorairo, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Icedaemon Well-Known Member

It was good. The mentions of him predicting the fall of the soviet union and the second Israeli-Arab war were interesting, as well as his take on the three competing ideologies.

2. taqn22 Active Member

What people in the 20th century around this era would you all be interested in? Minor political or more major cultural

Alpha-King98760 likes this.
  3. Whiteshore Defender of Myrcella Baratheon

I’d be interested in how the Anti-Stalinist Left develops.

Vornado, King-Emperor, Drizzt and 3 others like this.
  4. Drizzt Well-Known Member

Well those two do tend to intertwine a lot.

Seconded and also with one addendum: I'd also particularly would like to see TTLs Left stance on robost defense vs pacifism. After all in TTL not only are many more on the Left going to be anti-USSR, which will already undercut support for the Peacenik, Unilataral Disarmament, Tankie, etc factions in TTL. But also the Cold War is 3way with a Fascist Block to worry about. Nobody from OTLs Cold War Left would argue to appease them.
    And to transfer that to Culture: I'd suggest that would affect the scripts of TTLs Dr Who and Star Trek. Although in Star Trek more the TNG storylines than the TOS ones.

Whiteshore likes this.
  5. twistedirregular Negus Negast

I'd be interested to see what's happening in Ethiopia.

6. r1ncewind Well-Known Member

And sweden!

7. RedLegion New Member

I'd like to see an alternate version of this baby: Fascisti-su-Marte.jpg

8. Alpha-King98760 Aku's most favorite assassin, babe!

The future where Aku's evil is law, babe.
    I’m guessing this alternate version is not comedy and is instead a glorification of fascism as it goes interstellar?

9. Bookmark1995 Bookmark95 Reborn!

That would be insanely creepy: glorifying fascism being seen as acceptable.

10. Alpha-King98760 Aku's most favorite assassin, babe!

Well what else would it be?

Gabrielico likes this.
  11. Bookmark1995 Bookmark95 Reborn!

My hope is ITTL that history books don't gloss over the fact that Mussolini was a terrible man who simply became an ally of convenience.

12. Alpha-King98760 Aku's most favorite assassin, babe!

They probably will...at least outside Italy and Israel.

13. thanix01 Well-Known Member

I feel like Fascism will be like how communism is treated in this timeline. People know bad things happen under fascist government but they will blame horrible action on person in charge (of course mussolini himself will not get criticized only other RA leader) not the ideology.

Mussolini will probably be treated like Mao in this timeline.

Gabrielico, Kammada, TheNerd_ and 3 others like this.
  14. Bookmark1995 Bookmark95 Reborn!

Israel's willingness to overlook Mussolini is kind of justified.

As frustrating as Israel's actions are, you have to remember that it was a country founded by people who were victims of the most systematic act of murder in history, and it is surrounding by nations eager to "push it into the sea." Israel needs whatever allies it can get.

Italy's actions might depend on what government replaces fascism.

I don't know. Fascism ITTL seems to be seen as "while not great, at least better then living in a badly managed Communist dystopia." In fact, the myth of the trains running on time might last longer ITTL.

Ogrebear, Dolan, Vornado and 5 others like this.
  15. Alpha-King98760 Aku's most favorite assassin, babe!

Oh I completely understand Israel’s reasons to overlook Mussolini, I’m just saying that Israel will hold Il Duce in a very good light.

16. RedLegion New Member

More like one of those silly sci-fi movies from the fifties with fishbowl helmets and shiny suits

Alpha-King98760 likes this.
  17. Bookmark1995 Bookmark95 Reborn!

I can imagine ITTL statues of Il Duce will be built in every major city...but by the early 21st century, as more people take a better look at Mussolini and his actions, there will be those who start to question whether it is right to keep those statues.

Like how in America, Confederate statues are also coming under tremendous scrutiny.

"Does saving hundreds of thousands Jewish lives make up for the mass graves he created in Slovenia, Ethiopia, Serbia, and Libya," some people might ask themselves.

18. Herr Frage Jesus Christ Is In Heaven

Behind a black gate and to the left of a grove
    Anyone in Ireland & Northern Ireland come to mind?

19. RyuDrago Italian? Yes, but also Roman

Fascist rethoric would always counter France and Britain made their own colonial massacres as well, the Slovenians started first, and the Serbians oppressed the Croats.

But sometimes I wonder if in more normal circumstances - other TLs where Italy would stay neutral and reject the racial laws - there would have been this cordial relation. Probably not because Mussolini was more pro Arab but also wonder how he could have related with one like Nasser.

Paradoxally a fascism not bound with nazism shouldn't have been prejudicially antisemite even in other divergences - at least in Italy. Considering also antisemitism post WWII was and is strong not only on the right but also on the left. Certain OTL Italian radical left pro-palestine hide certain antisemitic prejudices. But it comes in my mind also the current situation of British Labour...

20. Food-Oh_Koon Member

In this timeline, the Italians are the victors of the war. History is written by the victors.