The First WW2 AH?

I've always thought that Swastika Night (1937) was the first of its kind, but is there a novel or short story that predates it?

There's also the 1929 movie "High Treason" that I watched this year. It involves a very different war, starting in 1940. The war is between United States of Europe and the Atlantic States, pushed by cigar smoking arms dealers.. The movie predicted rather startling differences to the geopolitical scene, and very little differences in women's hair styles.

If that war's too different for you, there's "The Shape of Things to Come" written by H.G. Wells in 1933. I haven't read it (yet). It talks about a war started by Germany invading Poland in 1940. Nuclear weapons are involved, but instead of releasing a lot of power in a short amount of time, they burn for years on end. The war lasts much longer, and is much more devastating.

------------------------
Edited: added "instead of"

Last edited:
There's also the 1929 movie "High Treason" that I watched this year. It involves a very different war, starting in 1940. The war is between United States of Europe and the Atlantic States, pushed by cigar smoking arms dealers.. The movie predicted rather startling differences to the geopolitical scene, and very little differences in women's hair styles.

What an awesome description. :cool:

What an awesome description. :cool:

Why thank you. I try.

Would High Treason be considered alternate history since it was written before the war?

When do you say the war began? I think of 1939 as the start of the war, so I thought you wanted to include future histories in the discussion. Some people do define alternate history that way and some don't.

It is hard to say that High Treason is about World War II, even though it is about a second world war. As far as I know, Swastika Nights and The Shape of Things to Come have the same factions, including Nazi Germany.

I do look at '39 as the official start as well. I tend to look at works like High Treason as future history rather than alternate history. So for this post what I had in mind was something written either after the war (or even during, but dealing with a time period that had already passed) and focusing on the war itself rather than an abstracted conflict

There's always Lightning in the Night It was about a Nazi invasion of the US after the British had surrendered. IIRC it even had the a-bomb in it.