Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A chapter on Albert.

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Death Of The Head
Chapter I,
Camden, 1850

Liam finished his prayers,something which at the time he felt immense guilt about doing, before fiddling with loose, slippery buttons. Hooves echoed off of old, loose cobbled pavings. Thin figures gathered, their ancient mud-stained rags flapping in an eerie wind. The same wind which caused handfuls of trees to dance, casting shadows as leaves fluttered downwards. An acrid stench of human waste invaded his nostrils. Muscular guards gripping oakwood muskets patrolled while others glared into people's swords, occasionally swinging shiny sabres. Above, thick, heavy clouds formed. Though rays of sun managed to break through, glistening off of uneven, fresh puddles. A young girl approached him. Behind bags of exhaustion and mud, her sea-blue eyes pleaded silently. Stretching out bandaged hands, she spoke timidly.
"Please....sir.. have you any change?"
"No, nothing." Liam replied with pain evident in his voice. This injustice is exactly why today is happening...
"Sir?" Tears rolled slowly down her face. She couldn't have been more than ten or maybe nine. Reluctantly, Liam pulled his thick sea-blue winter jacket off and handed it to the young girl.

Initially reluctant, she soon took it with enthusiasm. Buried underneath layers of warmth but visibly happy as a smile broke across her tear-stained face, the little girl's head cocked to a side. "Thank you ever so much sir!" Pardon me for asking, but won't you be needing this jacket?" I think there's going to be at least another storm." Liam's heart, filled with warmth, realised he couldn't bring himself to tell her his true intentions.
"Don't worry about me little one, I won't be needing it anymore." Truth be told, you can have these for your friends." Reaching into his pockets he pulled out a handful of golden necklaces and watches, all family heirlooms, inscribed with various family members initials. Handing them over, now shaking and sweating, the little girl called her parents over. Both of her parents wore ragged, flapping clothing. They both appeared thin as well as stained in mud, General dirt and old bruises.

The little girl's father raised his eyes in surprise, noticeably holding a curved, slightly rusted dagger. "Do not worry ma'am, sir." I'm feeling mighty generous today and where I'm going...." These will do me no good." I...I would love to die...knowing that some positivity has come from my life."
"Sir?" The girl, who Liam had thought was an author asked, though it was her father who continued. "You look very, very pale indeed." Are you sure we can't get you a doctor?"
"No." I'm sorry." Leaving the family extremely confused but beaming with joy, Liam merged into an already thickening crowd.

Elderly. Ancient. Young. New-borns. Even dogs had arrived with the human tsunami of paupers. More and more guards arrived. Looking upward, Liam noticed rows of guards aiming their muskets downwards. He knew he would die. Yet he was at peace. Union Jack banners stretched from every house in sight. As hundreds began cheering before parting, stepping either to the left or right, Liam knew what was about to happen. His heart raced as at least twelve guards, all on horse stopped close to where the family from earlier stood. Many more arrived, on foot with swords and shields. Hooves echoed throughout the deadly silence. There she is. A golden carriage arrived. It lazily made its way towards him. Only now was she in sight.

Queen Victoria. Tall and slender. Pale, soft skin. Flowing caramel hair. Emerald green eyes. She smiled revealing a full head of straight, shiny milky teeth. Loose fitting pale gloved hands waved at those amongst the crowd. Her golden, circular crown beamed, standing out amongst regal purple and red clothing. Gently dancing in the wind, her dark green cloak protected her from any element. Any element but justice. Liam smiled, glancing around once more. Various smells wafted into but invaded his nostrils. Droplets of rain landed on his face. Several people bumped into him. Despite only living for seventeen years, unlike others, he had lived. Others would have shouted something, provided a reasoning their actions that much he'd heard often enough back home. Slowly pulling out his father's sleek, inky pistol, he took aim and fired. Boom. Instantly scarlet blood arched out of The Queen's head as she gasped, falling sideways, off of her carriage, smacking onto the cobbled road below. Silence. It hadn't sunk in yet. I've avenged The Potato Famine! She didn't move. It seemed as if time itself had frozen. "She's dead!" He's killed The Queen!" Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom. Bullets from all directions riddled Liam, though he was dead as soon as the first once landed straight in his forehead. It didn't matter. Queen Victoria had died. An assassination. In the middle of the street no less....

Interesting, so an earlier reign of Edward then? Wonder how this will affect modern history.
Edward would've been 10 at the time for the sake of The TL, he was born 1830 so yes he may be King. All I'll reveal is there is going to be major butterflies. After all, Queen Victoria has been assassinated in a London slum. I got this idea from watching Horrible Histories about how because of The Irish Potato Famine and other factors, there was various assasination attempts on Victoria and lots of anger toward her :)

True, can't wait to see what chaos this stirs up! (Probably more anti-Irish sentiment).
It definitely will kind of, but in a way not for a few reasons:
1. People begin questioning how can The British Empire be so strong and its monarchy so divine and noble if they can be struck down in the street?
2. Veterans of various invasions and occupations of Ireland realise that politics caused a literal famine alongside thousands of deaths for really no good reason.
3. Even if the Monarchy and Parliament's excuses are true, why would a seventeen year old lad willingly allow himself to be gunned down and why, out of all the commitable crimes, strike down an innocent Queen?

1. People begin questioning how can The British Empire be so strong and its monarchy so divine and noble if they can be struck down in the street?
Pretty sure the monarch being divine was in decline in the eyes of the public, but I guess some would see it like that.

Chapter II: In Memoriam
This chapter was partly inspired by @RedKing

It was as if the universe itself had stood still. Not a single figure moved. Any wind from before swiftly stopped. Falling raindrops seemed to have evaporated. For a while, though in reality, likely only moments everyone stood frozen. Liam lay, blood oozing outwards, riddled with blood. His gun still in now loose, pale fingers. Cutting through the silence, one of the guards, if they could even be called guards having failed miserably at their one job, spoke. "Queen Victoria is dead!" Who, now shall rule?" Despite this, as the truth sunk in, people did not scream or run. Instead of looting, trampling those in their way, like wild animals, they merely remained wherever they was.
"Edward, perhaps?"
"Do not be foolish." Someone replied dripping with hatred.
"Whoever suggested Edward may be King, is right."
"The Empire....ruled by a mere ten year old?"
"If not Edward then who else?"
"But...."
"I fear we have not yet seen the worse of what will arrive."

From amongst the crowd of peasants and guards emerged at least seven figures. Dressed in mainly black, rain-stained clothing, a few pulled behind them carried the standard thick, clumsy carriage for doctors. Who had alerted medical authorities? It didn't matter. Not really. Silently approaching Her Highness, she was draped in three thick, inky black covers. One of them briefly stared, visibly enraged at Liam's body. "It is true." He whispered almost inaudible. Children began crying. Mothers, fathers, merely pulled their young to their chest remaining quiet. "Perhaps we should set about moving everyone on..." After-all, funeral arrangements need to be made." Howard, an elderly doctor suggested, running leathery hands through greying, thin hair. Two guards, their faces hardened by war, turned, visibly pale.
"W....why?"
"Why?!" Boys are you soft in the head?" Britain cannot function without King or Queen!" Howard snapped.
"We..we didn't...we couldn't." Boom." One of the guards mimicked gun-shots, strangely at his own chest. His friend nodded, shaking slightly.
"You couldn't?"
"This...." It wasn't our fault!"

Sighing, Howard softened his expression. He knew from treating Opium and Ashanti War Veterans that they wouldn't be able to serve as guards anymore. It wasn't at all uncommon for soldiers, especially boys to be traumatised. Witnessing an assasination and gunning down a mere boy in the street during what would've been joyful celebrations could certainly justify tramua. "Yes...yes..." I know." Speaking softly, Howard managed to calm down both traumatised guards at least keep them relatively feeling eased. He knew what would come next, not just short-term but long-term events were going to be dark. Hope was something everyone needed. Though how could anyone have hope? With Victoria dead....enemy nations may take advantage. If Britain was The Lion then The Lioness had been killed meaning all nearby Hyenas were preparing for attack. Shaking away such horrifc points, Howard turned as more guards arrived, lost on how to proceed. Indeed dark times were befalling Britannia, possibly her globe-stretching dominions.

Pictured Sir Howard Miller, Liam(last name unknown), just after assassinating Queen Victoria.

Attachments

• 220px-Luke_Fildes02.jpg
    220px-Luke_Fildes02.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 69
  • queen-victoria-attempted-assassination-along-constitution-hill-by-BFR23T.jpg
    queen-victoria-attempted-assassination-along-constitution-hill-by-BFR23T.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
You accidentally referred to Victoria as Elizabeth here. But a great update overall! Looks like Britain’s entering a bit of a crisis.
May I ask, as I'm really just experimenting, are you enjoying The Simpson Verse or this TL better please?