The Fair King John

Constance of Brittany
On 1199, Constance of Brittany agreed to the Archbishopric of Dol being subordinate to the Metropolitan of Tours, after having a realizing that opposing this would antagonize the French King and would likely lead to her excommunication if she opposed this and this would affect the claims of her son to England and agreed to a marriage between her daughter, Eleanor of Brittany and Prince Louis of France which would be celebrated in 1200 which would seal support of the French King to Arthur of Brittany, the marriage of Eleanor of Brittany with Louis VIII would have eventually caused the annexation of the Continental Plantagenet lands.

In 1200, John I of France would marry Isabella of Angouleme which would antagonize the Lusignans in Aquitaine which would have led to Philip II annexing Normandy and giving further support to Arthur in the Angevin lands.

Constance of Brittany would give birth to three daughters, Alix(1200), Catherine(1201), and Margaret(1201), she would die on 1201 after giving birth to her twin daughters.

Last edited:
Eleanor of Brittany
On 1200, the marriage of Prince Louis of France and Eleanor of Brittany is celebrated.

On 1202, Arthur, Duke of Brittany would be imprisoned then killed in 1203 following the fight in Mirabeau fighting his uncle’s barons to gain the Angevin Empire territories while Philip II is fighting John which would cause the annexation of the Brittany, Anjou, Maine, and Touraine to the French Crown.

On 1204, Philip II would annex the remaining part of Normandy and on 1206 Philip II of France and Alfonso VIII would seize and partition Aquitaine, Philip II would receive Aquitaine proper, and Alfonso VIII would receive Gascony proper which the Castilian Kings would pay homage for.

Eleanor of Brittany would give the Kings of France a direct claim to England aside from the Continental Domains of the Plantagenets until the English would reject her claims to the English crown completely on 1216 in favor to John’s son, Henry III.

Eleanor of Brittany would die on 1240, prior to the death of Louis VIII on 1250, the two are buried in Saint Denis Cathedral.

Eleanor of Brittany would provide the following Children

-Constance of France b. 1203
-Philip b. 1205
-Eleanor b. 1210
-Louis b. 1212
-Robert b. d. 1216
-Geoffroy b. 1217
-Charles b. 1219
-Isabelle b. 1222

Last edited:
Fourth Crusade
On 1204, Rainier of Montferrat would be crowned as the Latin Emperor with the support of Philip of Swabia despite the vetoing of Venice who wanted Baldwin VI of Flanders but Philip of Swabia would pay Venice for the support for Rainier of Montferrat and Baldwin VI would return to Flanders instead of ruling the Latin Empire and for this reason the Empire would later be inherited by his son Demetrius until his death on 1230 and later his own grandson Boniface II of Montferrat which would push the Latin Empire and Montferrat in Personal union for decades until the personal union of Nicaea and the Latin Empire.

The Latin Empire and Empire of Nicaea would later unite and reconstituted as the Eastern Roman Empire via the marriage of Margaret of Montferrat and Theodore I Laskaris in 1280, after the childless death of her brother, Latin Emperor John I.

Isabella of Angouleme and John I of England
On 1200, John I of England would take Isabella of Angouleme to get more control in to secure his alliance with his mother against Arthur and his mother Constance who is supported by the French in Normandy and England and to secure his own inheritance of Aquitaine from his mother, Eleanor of Aquitaine, however he would lose that in 1206 and divided between Philip II and Alfonso VIII, John I would be considered as a hero in England due to John I not allowing England to fall to the French during his reign and later the partisans of Eleanor of Brittany and Louis VIII would defect to the side of Henry III after the death of John I of England despite Constance of France marrying Alexander II of Scotland.

On the death of her first husband on 1216, she would remarry to Hugh X of Lusignan.

Isabella of Angouleme would provide the following children to John I of England;

Henry III b. 1207

Richard b. 1209

Joan b. 1210

Isabella b. 1214

Eleanor b. 1215

Last edited:
Magna Carta and Constance of France
On 1215, before John I’s death, he would have promulgated reforms in the English laws which would called as Magnacarta with 63 clauses which would have caused the partisans of Eleanor of Brittany and Prince Louis to defect which would have tarnished the support of the French in England despite the marriage of their eldest daughter, Constance to Alexander II of Scotland in 1214 for the alliance between France and Scotland, Constance of France would provide Alexander II of Scotland of a son named William II of Scotland in 1219 before dying in 1220 due to her poor health after her pregnancy and he would remarry to Joanna of England.

The Magna Carta would be the law of the land that would be used by England with clauses that limits the power of the rulers in England.

Last edited:
Baldwin VI
Baldwin VI of Flanders would choose the marriage of his daughters, Joanna and Margaret, Mathilde of Portugal would have her nephew, Ferdinand married to Joanna and Margaret of Flanders married to Theobald I of Navarre, his later reign would allow for Joanna and her husband Ferdinand to be away from the Flemish affairs until they became the rulers of Flanders in 1230, Berengaria of Portugal would marry Valdemar II of Denmark upon Ingeborg of Denmark, Queen of France’s suggestion after the death of his first wife which would have further improved the relations between Flanders and Denmark.

Last edited:
Mathilde II of Boulogne
On 1223, Mathilde II of Boulogne would marry Henry III of England solidifying his claims to England via the claims of his wife which would further dilute the claims of his cousin Eleanor of Brittany and her children, the marriage of Mathilde and Henry were not liked by the King of France due to the Plantagenets gaining lands from their marriage but Mathilde herself would be part of the peace negotiations between the Plantagenets and the Capetians in 1259 in the Treaty of Paris wherein the English would renounce the Plantagenet continental possessions in favor of the Capetians and the Capetians renouncing England.

Children of Mathilde of Boulogne
Joanna of England b. 1223
Edward I of England b. 1230
Edmund of England b. 1232

Last edited:
Two sisters of Iberia
On 1204, Blanche of Castile would marry Ferdinand of Leon and she would provide him of a surviving son named Alfonso on 1212 which would allow for a smooth succession in Leon due to its stabilized succession after the death of Alfonso IX.

On 1204, Berengaria of Castile would remarry to Peter II of Aragon creating an alliance between Castile and Aragon wherein she would give birth to another son named James on 1208, her son with Alfonso IX, Ferdinand III of Castile would inherit Castile on 1214 after the death of her brother as his cognatic heir, she would advise her husband Peter II to not involve himself on the affairs of Raymond VI, Count of Toulouse and the Cathar Crusade.

Her daughter, Berengaria of Leon would marry Philip of France on 1220 creating an alliance between France and Castile as arranged by Berengaria of Castile herself and also the marriage of her son, Ferdinand III with Elizabeth Beatrice of Swabia.

Last edited:
Marriages of Frederick II
On 1208, Frederick I of Sicily would marry the Countess Jeanne of Burgundy which would strengthen the Imperial hold in Upper Burgundy, the marriage would be attended by Philip of Swabia, their uncle, the marriage would be given dispensation by Innocent II, Philip of Swabia would be murdered on the marriage of Beatrice of Burgundy and Otto I of Merania in the same year.

Countess Jeanne of Burgundy would give birth to her only surviving son named Henry(1210) and a daughter named Beatrice(1212). Henry, Beatrice, and their mother Jeanne would stay in Sicily until her death in 1222 after her husband became the Anti-Emperor in 1212 and when he was crowned in 1220 as the Holy Roman Emperor, Henry would take over in the County of Burgundy and marry Margaret of Austria as his wife.

On 1223, Frederick II would be betrothed Isabella of England creating an alliance between England and HRE and married her on 1230, Frederick would sire a surviving daughter named Margaret with her in 1241.

Last edited:
Vratislaus of Bohemia
On 1200, Constance of Hungary would marry Vratislaus of Bohemia, the son of Adelaide of Meissen and Ottokar Premysl of Bohemia as Adelaide of Meissen and Ottokar would have negotiated, and Adelaide would enter a nunnery on 1199 while her son would become the King in the future, while Denmark would offer in the Margaret of Denmark who was released from her vows as a nun as the bride to Ottokar Premysl in exchange for the marriage of Margaret of Bohemia to Valdemar II, Margaret would only have a daughter named Agnes(1205) in their marriage and would not much consummate the marriage.

Vratislaus and Constance would have the following children –Anna of Bohemia(1204), Duchess of Silesia, Wenceslaus(1205), Vladislaus(1209), Vilhelmine of Bohemia(1210), Saint Agnes of Bohemia(1211), Vratislaus would succeed his father on 1230 as Vratislav III and would die on 1240 but not before he can arrange strategic marriages for his own grandchildren Vladislaus and Ottokar.

Last edited: