The Faces of Wrestling - A Collaborative Wrestling TL

Randy Orton

Background:​
Born to Bob and Elaine Orton in Knoxville, Tennessee. Randy would follow his father’s footsteps and become a professional wrestler. Training with his father in St Louis, Randy would debut in the National Wrestling Alliance (where his father became a Hall in Famer after winning the NWA World Title twice). While winning his first few matches, Randy would have issues with management backstage. This would lead to him having a falling out with the head of NWA, Ric Flair, after a match where Orton was supposed to lose to then-rising star, Nick Mondo. He would cost Nick the win and both men would fight back in the locker room. Flair would fire Randy the next day.

Orton would join Onita Pro Wrestling Noah around January of 2003 and quickly become a name for the company. He would go on to feud with Yoshinobu Kanemaru for the GHC Junior Heavyweight Championship at the Encountering Navigation tour. He would keep the title for a year before dropping it to Jushin Thunder Liger at the NJPW Wrestling World event on January 4, 2004. Orton would later go to the GHC Tag Team Division with fellow wrestler Matt Morgan. Forming the “Viper Killers” and winning the GHC Tag Team titles a record five times in two years.

Matt and Randy would later sign to Paul Heyman’s ECW and would go for the ECW Tag Titles again Jack Evans and Rob Van Dam, winning the ECW tag titles twice. After a year in ECW, the Viper Killers would then sign to the WWF and challenge the WWF Tag Team Champions Bradshaw, Inc (JBL and Orlando Jordon). Despite both teams being heels, the Viper Killers would turn faces and win the WWF Tag Titles over Bradshaw, Inc at 2008 Judgement Day. However, the title reign was short-lived as Matt Morgan would have to get reconstruction surgery which would force him out of action for a year. He would later leave the company afterward to wrestle in JCP Wrestling.

This would prove to be Randy’s time to shine. He would kayfabe break Matt Morgan neck at WWF In Your House in June after a loss to Bradshaw, Inc for the tag titles. Randy would soon adopt the "Legend Killer" gimmick and go after stars like Shawn Michaels and others.

At the 2009 Royal Rumble PPV, Randy Orton would win the Rumble match to challenge for the WWF Championship Triple H at Wrestlemania. At Mania, Randy would hit the RKO at Triple H to win the WWF Title.

Despite winning the championship, he was not well-liked behind the scene. Especially with the Undertaker. Despite this, Randy would hold the title till next year Wrestlemania where he would lose to the Undertaker for the title.

Randy would go for a rematch with Taker at Judgement Day 2010. Losing to him again. Randy would then put his WWF contract on the line at In Your House. Taker would win the match and end Randy Orton WWF career.

While waiting to see if Onita or Heyman would resign him to another contract. His father would call him to see if he would resign to the NWA. Randy would agree since Ric Flair was gone as NWA President and Billy Corgan took over.

Randy would make a surprise return to the NWA at Wrestle-Wars in August taking out then-champion Nick Mondo. The two had bad blood but both men would agree to patch things out for their Starrcade match as Nick was looking to retire. Mondo would get his last match against Orton in a steel cage match for the Big Gold Belt. Orton would hit Mondo with a top rope RKO and walk out as NWA Champion.

Randy would hold the belt for a few months despite working injured. Eventually, it was time for him to stop and look into getting surgery on his injured neck. He would drop the title at Bash at the Beach against AJ Styles in a "match of the year quality battle".

While in surgery Randy would pass away from complications at the age of 31. The news spread, despite his earlier beef with Flair, Flair would give condolences to Bob and Elaine Orton. WCW would hold a special tribute show for Randy Orton at WCW Starrcade where, like his father, was inducted into the NWA Hall of Fame.

Despite his early stint with the NWA. Randy Orton would be considered a legend in wrestling who sadly passed away too soon.

Accomplishment:
Pro Wrestling Noah
1x GHC Junior Heavyweight Champion
5x GHC World Tag Team Champion (With Matt Morgan)

Extreme Championship Wrestling
2x ECW Tag Team Champions (With Matt Morgan)

World Wrestling Federation
1x WWF Tag Team Champion (With Matt Morgan)
1x WWF World Champion
2009 Royal Rumble Winner

National Wrestling Alliance
1x NWA World Heavyweight Champion
NWA Wrestling Hall of Fame Inductee: 2011

Wrestling Observer Newsletter
WON Wrestler of the Year (2009,2010)
WON Most Improved Wrestler (2004)
WON Tag Team of the Year (2004, 2005, 2007 (as part of the Viper Killers with Matt Morgan))
WON Match of the Year (2011 (Randy Orton vs AJ Styles at NWA Bash at the Beach 2011))

"First thing I wrote to completion in about a month? Figured I do a quick TL story about Randy Orton. Yes, I seriously brought in Nick Mondo from CZW since CZW doesn't exist in this story. I might do a companion piece for Mondo if I can. Either way, enjoy this story despite the sad end. At least Orton had a hell of a career in wrestling, his father would be proud anyways."

Sad story for the Legend Killer. Are you going to do for Kenny Omega, Io Shirai, Asuka, Kairi Sane, The Hardy Boys and the Dudleys soon?

Sad story for the Legend Killer. Are you going to do for Kenny Omega, Io Shirai, Asuka, Kairi Sane, The Hardy Boys and the Dudleys soon?
I kinda want to do wrestlers that I personally think I can make into a TL. Nick Mondo is next due to me already planting the seeds and wanting him to succeed so badly and leave CZW in RL. Asuka is also on my list and I also want to do Perry Saturn. I enjoy doing Randy Orton so I will continue.

Also on that list... The British Bulldog.

Haku

Haku will go down as one of the toughest SOB's not just in professional wrestling but in general. With backgrounds in sumo and ju-jitsu as well as a fiery temper allied to his loyalty to friends and family no-one messed with Haku (legend has it he berated Brock Lesnar for interrupting a conversation he was having with Chris Jericho and Lesnar backed down).

He arrived in the WWF in 1986 with Tama as one half of the Barbarians. Quickly establishing themselves as the most feared tag team in the WWF they secured the titles in their rookie year and had all out wars with the likes of the Harts and Rougeaus only losing the titles in 1987 after a five star classic with the British Bulldogs (Haku broke his neck after being suplexed off the top rope by Davey Boy but carried on and would only go to hospital when Tama threatened to carry him there!

Returning 6 months later the Barbarians lost a rematch for the titles and were subsequently released by the WWF.

Debuting in 1988 in the NWA/WCW as one half of "The Samoan Savages" Haku carried on as before. The savages battled with the top teams and slowly turned face with culminated with beating the Andersons for the tag titles at Starrcade 1989. Their run lasted for a year before losing to the Varsity Club. (Afterwards the entire crowd rose as one to applaud)

Three weeks later Tama announced his retirement due to long term back problems but remained as Haku's manager. It was from this point that Haku's career took off. He first major singles feud was with Tully Blanchard over the TV Title. The belt changed hands 5 times over 16 months with Haku holding the strap 3 times.

Then came Ric Flair. Flair would attack Haku over his (according to Flair) animal roots. Flair then took it one step further by attacking Tama and hospitalising him. This was a bg mistake.

At Starrcade 1991 Haku faced Flair in a steel cage match for the WCW Championship. In a 36 minute classic the two ripped each other apart only ending when Haku nailed the Champ following a shooting star press from the very top of the cage!

Haku's title win led not just to the crown going wild but Samoa itself erupting into chaos. The image of Tama and Haku embracing in the centre of the ring entered wrestling folklore

Following Flair's shock departure from WCW in mid 1991 Haku was the main man for the promotion and he delivered. Embarking on a 14 month run as Champion he defended against all comers only losing in 1993 to Lex Luger.

Unable to come to terms with WCW Haku rejoined the WWF in 1994 where he immediately became involved in a feud with IC champion Shawn Michaels. At Survivor Series. Team Wild (Haku, Bulldog and LOD) beat Team Sexyboys (Michaels, Nash and the Quebeccers) Haku nailing Michaels with a superkick.

At the Royal Rumble 1995 Haku defeated the boytoy for the IC strap after Nash accidentially cost Michaels the title. Haku would defend the title until Summerslam when he lost to Owen Hart in another 5 star classic.

Taking a sabbatical Haku would return as the surprise No 30 in the 1996 Royal Rumble. He won and went on to face Psycho Sid for the WWF Title. Like Flair in 91 Sid berated Haku's heritage even emptying a box of Bananas onto him following an attack(!)

The title match wasn't a classic like Haku/Flair in 1991 but it was a very satisfying conclusion to the feud. Haku won by again pinning the champ by a shooting star press.

Haku told Vince he wanted to retire in 1997 and wanted to go out in a blaze of glory. This was granted. At Wrestlemania 13 Haku lost the title to Bret Hart in (yet) another 5 star classic (Hart left the ring leaving the Rosemont crown to stand and one and say "Thank You Haku"

Haku is still involved in wrestling. He had stints in NJPW and the NWA. He is now semi retired but can still go...especially if anyone insults him!

ACCOMPLISMENTS
WWF:
1 X Tag Title
1X IC Title
1X WWF Title

NWA/WCW
1 X Tag Title
3x TV Title
1x WCW Title

Think we are start going to have to need a master timeline, at least in terms of title reigns as I'm starting to sense there are a few clashes going on.

Agree. We need some sort of timeline and background for the titles and companies.

The only issue I have with that is that in some Timelines specific events are mentioned eg Starrcade. You would have two or even three different champions at one event.

One thing we do need to clarify is if WCW is a JCP or an NWA thing, because we've been randomly calling both WCW at points.

The only issue I have with that is that in some Timelines specific events are mentioned eg Starrcade. You would have two or even three different champions at one event.
True, kinda feel like maybe we should look into it a bit more. But I'm doing my own thing while also adopting other ideas like Onita creating Noah.

One thing we do need to clarify is if WCW is a JCP or an NWA thing, because we've been randomly calling both WCW at points.
I have been calling JCP as JCP. WCW never exist in my timeline, but I adopted things to both NWA and WCW. JCP (In my TL) is like Smokey Mountain Wrestling but more successful despite being an Indy league. Which I thought would make sense.

The NWA of today is basically the other NWA promotion banding together (something they never properly did OTL) with Georga Championship Wrestling being where it started with the Black Saturday incident happened. Basically the promoters realized before it too late to get their asses in gear and work together to make a top promotion. GCW being obvious since they had Flair, Ole and Arn Anderson and Magnum TA along with others. They would also work with the CWF to bring in Dusty Rhodes and later Dustin Rhodes as father/son duo.

I always toyed with an idea of a league system (like WWE is doing with NXT and NXT UK but more like MLB) for the NWA since I was younger so yeah.

[edit] Black Saturday not Black Sunday.. D'oh.

Last edited:
I have been calling JCP as JCP. WCW never exist in my timeline, but I adopted things to both NWA and WCW. JCP (In my TL) is like Smokey Mountain Wrestling but more successful despite being an Indy league. Which I thought would make sense.

Keep in mind this is meant to be a collaborative timeline.

Well have mercy on my soul, made a master list of the World titles of the 3 major US companies (ECW, NWA and WWF). Now had to take some liberties to make sense of it all, especially when it has been vague. @nezza your posts have been inconsistent with others, including your own. Remember this is meant to be a collaborative timeline.

If people notice anything wrong, just say and I'll try to fix it.

1977-8 Bruno Sammartino - Stan Hansen - Bob Buckland

1980-81 Stan Hansen (2) – Bob Buckland (2?)

Savage x5 till 1989

1992 Ultimate Warrior – Ric Flair

1994-5 Vader - Savage (6) – Shawn Michaels - Scott Hall – Undertaker – British Bulldog - Yokozuna – Undertaker (2) (Huge clashes)

1996-7 Psycho Sid – Haku – Bret Hart

2000-2002 Hulk Hogan

2009-2010 Triple H – Randy Orton – Undertaker (3?)

2016 Brock Lesner – Samoa Joe (Vacated)

2018 Big E – Samoa Joe (2) - Drew Galloway

No Date Given Lex Luger, Rampage Jackson

Savage x4 between 1989 – 1994

1990 Savage

1991 Flair – Haku – Luger (Cash here with Haku)

1992 Savage (2) – Hansen – Flair (2)

1993 Simons – Hansen (2) – Savage (3)

1998 Sid Vicious - Goldberg - Sting

1999 Sting - Goldberg (2) - Paul Wright

2001-2 Don Frye – Kurt Angle - Regal – Angle (2) – Jericho –

2003 Goldberg (3) – Angle (3) (Vacated)

2004 Sting (2)– Jericho – Rey Mysterio -

2005-6 Shelton Benjamin – Angle (4) – AJ Styles

2009 – Style (2?) – Samoa Joe – Lashely

2010 Mondo – Rany Orton – AJ Styles (3)

2015-2016 Ted DiBase Jr - Goldberg (4) - Kevin Steen

Samoa Joe regains the belt between 2010 -2015

No Date given Bob Orton (2)

(Between 1996 -2004 we have Austin (6), Pillman (4) Owen Hart (3) Eddie Guerro (4) Benoit (3))

1999 Austin - Owen Hart (1)

2001 Owen Hart (2)

2006-7 Rhino – Daniel Bryan – CM Punk

2008 CM Punk – Samoa Joe – Roderick Strong

2011 Daniel Bryan (2) – CM Punk (2?)

2014-16 CM Punk – Daniel Bryan

Current - Matt Riddle

Last edited:
Nice job @Dannyboy!

I will upload the Nick Mondo story tonight when I get the chance. What about the promotions in this timeline? I think we need to iron it out a bit since it getting a bit confusing. Can I help out with it in anyway?

[Edit] It will be tomorrow as I had to correct some things.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but that Haku entry is tripe bordering on ASB. Haku was never capable of wrestling a singles match bordering on 40 minutes. Haku was ESPECIALLY never capable of doing a shooting star press. And not a single person in the history of wrestling, not even the biggest mark alive, is giving Haku a standing ovation.

Look, I can understand wanting to give Haku a more substantial career that's looked upon more favorably, so he has something to hang his hat on other than a bunch of old carnies, who lie as easily as they breathe, telling insane stories about how Haku was some sort of murder machine. But something like this is so cartoonish that it's transparent and impossible to take seriously. Why not just throw in a stint in UFC in 2002 where he makes everyone tap out to the Tongan Death Grip?

Also, Danny, ya forgot that Luger was WWF champion at one point. I mentioned it in Angle's entry.

I'm sorry, but that Haku entry is tripe bordering on ASB. Haku was never capable of wrestling a singles match bordering on 40 minutes. Haku was ESPECIALLY never capable of doing a shooting star press. And not a single person in the history of wrestling, not even the biggest mark alive, is giving Haku a standing ovation.

Look, I can understand wanting to give Haku a more substantial career that's looked upon more favorably, so he has something to hang his hat on other than a bunch of old carnies, who lie as easily as they breathe, telling insane stories about how Haku was some sort of murder machine. But something like this is so cartoonish that it's transparent and impossible to take seriously. Why not just throw in a stint in UFC in 2002 where he makes everyone tap out to the Tongan Death Grip?

Also, Danny, ya forgot that Luger was WWF champion at one point. I mentioned it in Angle's entry.

So I did. I'll put him under no date given.

Nick Mondo

Background:​

Born on March 28, 1980. Matthew Burns would start his obsession with wrestling at a young age. After graduating high school, Burns would begin his training in the ECW gym headed by Tazz. He decided to give himself the name Nick Mondo as he felt it better suited him than his own. His first match was at Cyberslam 2000 in February as Mondo took on a returning Tajiri (who left the company for a short time to wrestle in New Japan).

After the loss, Nick Mondo would take some time off to focus on college. Eventually earning a degree in film making. When wanting to get back to ECW, Paul Heyman would brush him off. Despite this, Nick Mondo would wrestle in the Indys, wrestling in Border City Wrestling and Jim Crocket Promotions before signing with the National Wrestling Alliance in 2002.

“I saw something in Burns that I liked, he had the passion and the willpower that would get the fans to be by his side.” - Arn Anderson on Nick Mondo first day in the NWA

Nick Mondo would wrestle his first match in the Summer of ‘02 against Brad Armstrong in a solid dark match. The two would have another match next week on Saturday Night and Nick would once again walk out victorious, this time with his finisher, Mondo Driver. He would work his way up and would battle then-upcoming superstar Randy Orton at Clash of the Champions in Texas. However, Orton didn’t see eye to eye with then-President of NWA Ric Flair and would cost Mondo the planned win. The two men would have a fight backstage after the match.

Nick Mondo, after the show, would start setting his eyes on the NWA Television Championship and its holder, Jerry Lynn. The two men, along with Chris Sabin and later Alex Shelly, would be the high point for the company in 2003 and 2004 despite some turmoil in the company itself. Nick Mondo would win the TV title twice, both times dropping it to Chris Saban. Mondo and Saban would then later wrestle for the NWA Light Heavyweight Championship, though Saban would then leave the company to resign with JCP.

While as Light Heavyweight Champion, Nick Mondo would challenge Rey Mysterio Jr and other wrestlers. Eventually holding the title from January 2005 to July of 2006. Eventually becoming the Ironman of the Light Heavyweights due to him wrestling in every match despite working without breaks. He would then take time off after Bash at the Beach 2006. While recovering from injuries. Nick would receive a call from Ric Flair complimenting him for the work he pulled in the company. Before ending the call, Flair would announce that he would be heading to the US Championship scene against Booker T.

At NWA Starrcade 2006 at the Staples Center. Shawn O'Haire would advertise an open challenge to anyone in the backstage area. Nick Mondo would answer his call and would take O'Haire US Championship away from him after hitting the Mondo Driver awhile he was distracted by Scott Steiner (Who was feuding with O'Haire for months by this point).

Nick Mondo winning the United States Championship would be a start of good things for Nick Mondo as he would hold the belt on and off throughout the next two years with wrestlers like AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels. Dubbed the big three, the three men would have five-star classics including a match in Clash of the Champions: Unbreakable in Seattle that broke Dave Metzler’s rating system. They were dubbed the “Three Musketeers” of the NWA.

In May of 2009, Daniels would be written out of WCW due to backstage heat with Flair and would sign with ECW to wrestle Bryan Danielson at Guilty at Charge that same year. This left Mondo and Styles working to get a shot for the NWA Heavyweight Championship. At the time, NWA President Ric Flair would look into retiring from management and spend time with his family (also to spend time with son David who was battling cancer). Smashing Pumpkin singer Billy Corgan would step in as NWA President with Flair saying his goodbye at Starrcade.

On an episode of Saturday Night three weeks before Halloween Havoc, Nick Mondo would wrestle AJ Styles for a shot at NWA Champion Lashley. Styles would look into hitting the Styles Clash on Mondo but was counter into a pin. Nick Mondo would finally get his shot at Lashley NWA Championship.

At Halloween Havoc 2009, Bobby Lashley would wrestle Mondo in a classic bout. Twenty-five minutes of back and forth action until Lashley would look to hit the spear on him but Mondo was able to move out of the way just in time. Mondo would hit the Mondo Driver on Lashley for the win and for the title. The title change was necessary as Lashley was also looking to leave and take a well-deserved break from in-ring action. Nick Mondo was someone who earned his spot for the title.

The title stayed on Nick Mondo for over a year, by this time he was looking to end his in-ring career as well. Years of hard-fought matches with people like Sabin, Daniels, AJ Styles and Sting put a toll on his body and his health. Meanwhile, new NWA President Billy Corgan would look for a replacement. He was then suggested by Bob Orton Jr to bring his son Randy back as he left the WWF due to dispute with management. Corgan knew his work before in Pro Wrestling Noah but also knew that Ric Flair hated working with him.

Knowing that Mondo would be leaving, Corgan would allow Randy to take over as champion but if he keeps himself in line and not piss anyone off. Bob Orton agreed and contacted his son with rejoining the NWA.

Mondo was not too happy with working with Orton but by 2010, Randy was looking for redemption for what happened back in 2002. Both men agreed to differences aside and work on the feud.

Starting from September WrestleWars till Starrcade, Randy would look to taking out Mondo no matter what. This would lead to a “Loser leaves Wrestling” match at Starrcade. The fans kinda knew that Mondo was done, but cheered him no matter what. The two would wrestle in a Steel Cage match for the NWA title, the match itself was a dream match to watch. Eventually, all good things must end as Randy would stop Mondo on the top rope and hit the RKO from said top rope for the win and the title.

After all, was said and done, both men would shake their hands and Mondo would walk out the ring for the last time.

After retiring from the in-ring action, Burns would work on his film making passion. He would work with the NWA on making documentaries for the company. After Randy Orton passed away from surgery, he would help found the Pro Wrestlers' Union along with Chris Benoit and other wrestlers in 2017. In 2018, Matthew “Nick Mondo” Burns would be inducted into the NWA Hall of Fame.

Accomplishments:​

National Wrestling Alliance:
2x NWA Television Champion
1x NWA Light Heavyweight Champion
3x NWA United States Champion
1x NWA World Heavyweight Champion

2018 NWA Wrestling Hall of Fame Inductee

[ I was going to post it last night but due to me requiring to rewrite some of the stories to work with the timeline. I also added to the Randy Orton story a bit while also giving some nods to the Kurt Angle story with the Wrestling Union. Hopefully, you guys will enjoy it and when I get the chance, I will work on the British Bulldog one soon. Have a good day.

Any mistakes in this story, please tell me and I will re-edit the story.]

Last edited:
On an episode of Saturday Night three weeks before Halloween Havoc, Nick Mondo would wrestle AJ Styles for a shot at NWA Champion Lashley. Styles would look into hitting the Styles Clash on Mondo but was counter into a pin. Nick Mondo would finally get his shot at Sting at Fall Brawl 2009.

At Halloween Havoc 2009, Bobby Lashley would wrestle Mondo in a classic bout. Twenty-five minutes of back and forth action until Lashley would look to hit the spear on him but Mondo was able to move out of the way just in time. Mondo would hit the Mondo Driver on Lashley for the win and for the title. The title change was necessary as Sting was also looking to leave and take a well-deserved break from in-ring action. Nick Mondo was someone who earned his spot for the title.

Nice job. Is the NWA champ meant to Lashely or Sting here?

Btw claiming Goldberg!