Scene 0
Remember Abbas ibn Firnas? Here’s what might have happened if his glider had worked.

“He flew faster than the phoenix in his flight when he dressed his body in the feathers of a vulture.”—Mu’min ibn Said

The earliest known use for the kite was suggested by ibn Firnas himself: courier. Kitings are reported from as early as the 880’s, mostly between Qurtuba itself and outlying settlements. Following the rise of Abd-ar-Rahman III and the consolidation of the Caliphate of Qurtuba, this practice became more common and ambitious, culminating in a notable (and notably unsuccessful) attempted kiting from al-Yazirat across the straits of Gibraltar in 912.

“He carried a missive to the fishes.”—An Unnamed Fisherman, quoted by Said Al-Andalusi in the Compendious History of Nations

The reasons for the use of early kites in religion and politics rather than in the military or economic spheres should be obvious when one considers the numerous disadvantages early kite designs presented to the would-be practical kiter. Limited in altitude, range, and cargo-capacity, pre-Mongol kites could only be relied upon to deliver religious and juridical documents in short hops between one mosque and another, often along special routes lined with way towers. Most records from this time of bonfires or burning houses used to create updrafts are apocryphal.

“I am come to you bearing new orders from Allah Most High. Listen ye attentively”—attributed to Mohammad Ibn Zenati, founder of the Almustwad Caliphate

The adaptation of the kite by the Berbers for purely religious purposes should therefore be no surprise. Of course, courier-kiters and water-finders were likely as common around the Sahara then as they are today, but whatever might have been written about them was lost in revolts inspired by the “Winged Preacher” Ibn Zenati.

“Princess, there is a means of escape from this siege.” —Loyal Jafar, from the Song of Al Syd

There has been some speculation as to the role of the kite in tying together the taifa states of post-Umayyad Spain and the post-Almustwad Africa until their eventual annexation by the Karamans. Certainly, the historical record of the 12th and 13th centuries is full of kiting couriers and preachers, but it is difficult to say for certain how large a role they played in the fractured development of these small republics. Certainly the Owl Assassins were rather less fearsome in real life than in stories.

“Beware the silent wings.” —Berber saying

Ironically, the one place air travel made a real practical distance was at sea. Sailors, usually young boys, would scale the rigging, assemble their wings, and glide the short distance to the deck of another ship. On warm days, one of these “Little Gulls” might catch an updraft and fly higher than the masthead, spying land, weather features, or ships otherwise beyond sight. Records of women Gulls, if truthful, would push back this breakthrough nearly two hundred years before their famous use by the Mongols.

“No Gulls may fly within the city walls,” —proclamation issued in the name of Erik Christoffersen, King of Denmark

“…as their excrement stains our statues.”—marginalia by anonymous clerk

It is this maritime use of kiting that spread furthest. By the 13th century, kites were in use in the harbors, if not the fortresses or cathedrals of most of Christendom, as well as the Muslim port cities of North Africa and the Persian Gulf. Somewhere in the latter region, this technology finally fell into the hands of someone who could use it in war.

“The wind in our wings is the song of your doom.”—attributed to Guyuk Khan

The Mongols were great innovators. In addition to their superior cavalry tactics and archery, they made great use of conquered Chinese, Persian, and Arab artisans to perfect siege equipment, firearms, and of course kites. Their “Eagle Daughters,” young women kiters armed with bows and launched into the air by catapult, proved devastating siege-breakers, raining burning oil, crude incendiaries, and disease-carrying offal down upon their enemies.

Although stopped by the Mamelukes and their Owls in Egypt, the Eagles were likely instrumental in the conquest of Eastern Europe and Constantinople. In the end, only the Black Plague broke the Byzantine Horde, leaving the Khan City cut off and vulnerable to the even more advanced Karamans and their rocket-powered “Falcon Corps.”

“Set a light to his fuse and he’ll run faster.” —Falcon drinking song

Thus, the age of sword and horse gave way to the age of kite and rocket, while shattered principalities of Christendom struggling to unite against them, the Karamans swallowed the taifas in Morocco and Iberia and stretched their influence around the Mediterranean.

The use of women kiters declared anathema by the Pope, Christian armies were generally weak in the air, but their navies could make use of Gulls to great effect. Although shrewd business practices no doubt played their role, it is likely their kites that kept the Italian states independent.

“The wind from a burning village carried me here.”—inscription on memorial pole erected in Reykjavik, Iceland.

Certainly, it is the kite that allowed the Pomors to dominate Northern Europe and the British Isles, and let them so quickly explore the North Atlantic. Without the kites, the discovery of the Western Continents and their fabulous wealth might have been delayed for centuries. As it was, by the 16th century, Pomorian colonies in what are today Nowaziemia and Męczicia had already set the stage for the modern distribution of global power between Muslim Eastern and Christian Western Continents.

“We found gold. Send more ships.” —dispatch from Wladislaw Ierowic to king Karolinas II of Scańsko-Pomoria.

Last edited:
I'm a spec-fic author working on a short story to go in the next Inkling's "Tales from the..." anthology (here's the previous one). I've got the plot and characters of the story down, but want to make sure I get the details right on the alternate history side. Maybe you guys can help me?

The POD is the successful flight of the glider of Abbas ibn Firnas, a 9th-century Andalusian polymath. The story is to take place many centuries later in a world with modern-day technology.

If you're interested, see below for a sketch of the history of this timeline.

Last edited:

Puzzle

Donor
Can hang gliders really do all those things when constructed with medieval technology? It seems pretty implausible.

Thank you.
So it seems my first task is to figure out what Abbas ibn Firnas's glider looked liked and what it was made of.

First, I should point out that by "glider" I mean a device that would have allowed Firnas to jump off the top of the minaret of the Great Mosque of Cordoba (the modern Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba) and travel farther horizontally than vertically before landing with minimal injury. Hopefully not too difficult a suspension of disbelief (or of Firnas).

Materials:
searching for "easiest glider to build" turns up some materials that Firnas would have had access to: wood, wax, leather, and (maybe) papyrus (as a substitute for paper) and silk. Or Perhaps my POD can be a stray shipment of bamboo that somehow makes it into Firnas's life...​

Designs:
One design is the "armchair glider," which may have been a stretch for Firnas's engineering skills, and would present plot problems.

I'm more interested in the Chanute glider design, which looks like a biplane you strap to your back

Writing the outline of the story, I was thinking of an A-shaped hang glider which seems easy enough to construct

But what if Firnas's intuition took him to a paraglider?​

Probably all of these designs will find their way into this timeline, but for the time being I'm confident that Firnas could conceive of and build one of them. Unless someone has a better idea, I'm going with an A-shaped glider, perhaps inspired by tales of Chinese kites.

http://ultralajt.webs.com/mybigprojects.htm

Have you ever done any hanggliding? The problem is strength weight ratio for your building materials. Even a modern glider is surprisingly big and heavy after all it needs to be strong eough to lift a man and itself and survive. You can probably build a working craft from ancient materials (Silk & bamboo would be my choice). However the physics is brutal every increase in weight means an increase in lift (wing size) is needed along with an increase in strength which of course needs an increase in weight.
I love your idea but in real life boys could not climb to the top of masts and strap on wings.
My sugestion is either scrap the explanations of why and just go with it or say a wizard did it (on this site that means alien space bats did it) then nobody can argue

The use of women kiters declared anathema by the Pope, Christian armies were generally weak in the air, but their navies could make use of Gulls to great effect. Although shrewd business practices no doubt played their role, it is likely their kites that kept the Italian states independent.

How many kiters would you actually need in a large army that couldn't be obtained by using small men? Jockeys were mostly men until recently, after all, in addition to the generally smaller size of men before the 20th century.

Certainly, it is the kite that allowed the Pomors to dominate Northern Europe and the British Isles, and let them so quickly explore the North Atlantic. Without the kites, the discovery of the Western Continents and their fabulous wealth might have been delayed for centuries. As it was, by the 16th century, Pomorian colonies in what are today Nowaziemia and Męczicia had already set the stage for the modern distribution of global power between Muslim Eastern and Christian Western Continents.

“We found gold. Send more ships.” —dispatch from Wladislaw Ierowic to king Karolinas II of Scańsko-Pomoria.

Why would the Pomors, with their small population, exactly be able to do this?

I think silk and bamboo will end up being the standard, yes. For ibn Firnas's the first glider, though, how about an A-shaped frame of cypress and horn with silk?

As for gliders leaping off the masts of ships, I'm willing to part with the idea. Are ships' masts too short?

Women are on average lighter than men, which means in a pinch a light woman will be easier to find than a light man.

These aren't OTL Pomors, but the descendants of Scandinavian and West Slavic sailors who settled North America. Pomor simply means "for the sea." But again, the stuff above is just a sketch and I'm willing to be convinced to go in a different direction.

I think silk and bamboo will end up being the standard, yes. For ibn Firnas's the first glider, though, how about an A-shaped frame of cypress and horn with silk?

As for gliders leaping off the masts of ships, I'm willing to part with the idea. Are ships' masts too short?

Women are on average lighter than men, which means in a pinch a light woman will be easier to find than a light man.

These aren't OTL Pomors, but the descendants of Scandinavian and West Slavic sailors who settled North America. Pomor simply means "for the sea." But again, the stuff above is just a sketch and I'm willing to be convinced to go in a different direction.

If it's Scandinavians, they'd probably have many Finns amongst them. New Sweden had an extensive population of Finns, especially Savonian Finns. Savonian Finns colonised tons of marginal woodlands in Scandinavia (they are the ancestors of the Kvens and other Finnish-descended groups), and they were doing so in New Sweden as well. I don't see why you'd need Slavs when you already have the perfect group of people, the hardy Savonians, to colonise North America. Yes, the Pomors are a similar group, but if it's the Kalmar Union or even just Sweden, you have the Finns right there.

Yes, women are on average lighter than men, especially pre-20th century women, but there's always light men to be found, in addition to the fact that if you're in a pinch, what religion says about female kiterss matters as much as when the Pope banned crossbows. Wonder what anti-Catholic Christians say about that?

I'm starting to think I'll need to scrap and rethink the history of northern Europe (which is fine because there wasn't much to begin with).

How's this for a start?

With gliders (and then rocket-gliders), the Mongols and their successors are more successful. The Mongols directly occupy territory as far west as the Nile in the south and the Kingdom of Hungary in the north, and have client states that extend even further. They don't stay long, but they push central Asian peoples into eastern Europe and Eastern European peoples into central Europe. Turkic people north of the Black Sea, Mordvins and Volga Bulgars in north eastern Europe, Lithuanians in the Low Countries, Anatolians on the west coast of the Black Sea, Azeris in Anatolia, Finns in western Scandinavia, Slavs in the European Steppe and the Alps, Hungarians central Europe, Germans in Burgundy. That's 1200.

Pause for the Black Death.

After that, I'm not sure. Maybe Ottoman-style gunpowder empires? At a guess, I'd say some sort of Azeri thing in Anatolia and the Balkans, The Kingdom of Cumany further north, Lithuania/Mordvinia further north still, and Bulgaria on the Baltic stretching eastward. Romance-, Slavic-, and Germanic-speaking people are sandwiched between these eastern empires and the Federation of Al-Andalus in the west. That's the situation in 1400.

Deleted member 94708

You don't need many or armed kites for someone as tactically astute as the Mongols to do much better. Two words: battlefield reconnaissance.

You don't need many or armed kites for someone as tactically astute as the Mongols to do much better. Two words: battlefield reconnaissance.

Very good point!
Actually, let's talk about what practical uses gliders could have. Here's my list with AmericaninBeijing's addition:

Battlefield reconnaissance
Message courier
Drop bombs/incendiaries/bio-weapons
Get assassins/saboteurs over city walls
Avenue of escape
Shuttle commanders around
To kill people doing all of the above

Any other ideas?

And before we get too far into strategy, it wasn't just the Mongols who had gliders. Abbas ibn Firnas invented gliders in 10th-century Al-Andalus, and the technology made its way up the Silk Route. The Mongols were using gliders against people who also used gliders. However, the Mongols were the first to use catapults (and later rockets) to launch gliders from the ground.

I'm also thinking about a "glider culture" evolving in northwest Africa. Gliders would be a great help to nomads, right, since they'd help find paths to oases?

Saphroneth

Banned
I'm also thinking about a "glider culture" evolving in northwest Africa. Gliders would be a great help to nomads, right, since they'd help find paths to oases?
The problem here is kinematics - gliders glide, they don't ascend by themselves without strong thermals, so you need a way for nomads to get hundreds of feet into the air to set off.

It's basically a question of "how do you get use from the glider which you couldn't get from the launch site"?

>>It's basically a question of "how do you get use from the glider which you couldn't get from the launch site"?<<
I'm thinking they'd run or sled down sand dunes with gliders strapped to their backs. Other possibilities are towers (which can be permanent or temporary), catapults, and rockets. ;)

Saphroneth

Banned
I'm thinking they'd run or sled down sand dunes with gliders strapped to their backs. Other possibilities are towers (which can be permanent or temporary), catapults, and rockets.
Disdaining the catapult for now, how do they get higher than their launch site to get some use out of it? Gliders glide, they don't have power for flight of their own...

The windward side of obstacles like rocks and dunes have updrafts associated with them, where air hits them and is deflected upward. A glider can sled down an incline upwind of the updraft like this
glider.png

Once Saharan Glider Culture gets established, I expect they will build slopes in order to make this sort of take-off easier. This would be in addition to the minarets and church steeples available for launching gliders that exist all around the Mediterranean.

The windward side of obstacles like rocks and dunes have updrafts associated with them, where air hits them and is deflected upward. A glider can sled down an incline upwind of the updraft like this
glider.png

Once Saharan Glider Culture gets established, I expect they will build slopes in order to make this sort of take-off easier. This would be in addition to the minarets and church steeples available for launching gliders that exist all around the Mediterranean.

Biggest thing which I haven't mentioned--are gliders/hang gliders really this easy? I mean, I'd love a good North Africa wank which this might provide, but quite a few early pioneers of gliding ended up being "that crazy guy jumping from a tower who broke his legs as a result". Up until the late 19th century, aviation was a great way to suffer crippling injuries or otherwise die.

Basically, is this a technology which Antiquity, the Islamic Golden Age, or similar culture could create?

>>Basically, is this a technology which Antiquity, the Islamic Golden Age, or similar culture could create?<<

I think yes. I think the reason nobody in OTL Al-Andalus made gliders is because they were trying to reproduce bird wings, which is a much harder engineering problem. Making a giant kite is much less difficult, and so the nudge I gave Abbas ibn Firnas (a translated Chinese text) should be enough.

(Now, it would be simpler if I just put the POD in China, but I've already written too much of this short story to change the setting :) )