The End Of an Age

The Scirii ally with the Huns.

The Ecumenical Council of Alexandretta [Iskenderun] is called by Patriarch Martinus of Alexandria. It's purpose is to create a creed all Christians can recite to affirm their devotion. [1]

Ermanaric stops the Huns at Adrianople [Edirne], but dies from wounds sustained in the battle. His son Athanarius becomes King of Gothia.

The Council of Alexandretta confirms both the Biblical canon to be accepted by the Syrian Orthodox Church, known as the Martinian Vulgate, and the new Alexandrettan Creed. [2]

Emperor Ambrosius renounces the title of Pontifex Maximus, a title held since Augustus. With the fall of the Asian and Illyrian emperors, Emperor Silvanus of Gaul is now the only man who carries this title. [3]

A second council, the Council of Corinth, confirms the virginity of St. Mary and acknowledges Trinitarianism as canonical. Iohannes orders the death of several Manicheans, frosting relations with Gothia.

The Sarmatians ally with the Huns.

Jin forces are defeated at the Battle of Fei. Prince Fu Jian of the Later Qin Dynasty is able to chase the Jin to Jiankang [roughly Municipal Nanjing], where he captures and strangulates the Xiaowu Emperor. The Eastern Jin Dynasty comes to an end. [4]

Hormizd II dies, and is succeeded by his son Shapur II.

Athanarius offers his allegiance to the Huns. [5]

Fu Jian returns to Chang'an [Xi'an] and is declared the Xuanzhao Emperor of China. This marks the end of Sixteen Kingdoms period and the beginning of the Houqin Dynasty period. [6]

The Hispanic legions declare Quintus Cassius Victorinus emperor is opposition to Silvanus.

King Chimnyu becomes King of Baekche, and declares Buddhism the state religion.

Ramagupta begs for peace from the Tocharians, granting them the entire Indus Valley. The Gupta Empire begins its slow decline.

Jinsa succeeds Chimnyu as king of Baekche.

Ramagupta is killed by the kshatriyas, who put his son Kalidagupta on the throne. [7]

Several major battles occur along the Pyrenees.

With the south pacified, the Xuanzhao Emperor turns his attention to the north, defeating the Tuoba in several skirmishes and forcing them to migrate away from China.

Iohannes Ierocyrica dies, and is succeeded by his son Nasor Septimios. [8]

The Huns and Goths launch an invasion of Armenia.

Prince Fu Pi is executed after attempting to kill his father. [9]

Cassius and Silvanus agree to a peace, wherein Cassius is acknowledged as princeps of Hispania.

Kalidagupta is killed. His brother Naradigupta is named Gupta Emperor.

Nasor Septimios invades Rafidayn, hoping to gain the wealth of Mesopotamia.

[1] There is no equivalent to the Nicene Creed, since there were no Councils of Nicea.

[2] See above for the list of NT books considered canon by the Martinian Vulgate.

[3] As the title still has pagan connotations, it is not accepted by the Bishop of Rome, or any other churchman.

[4] This marks the point where the changes become more or less global. Historically Fu Jian lost the battle in spite of having a larger and better trained force, and the Former Qin (as they are known OTL) largely disintegrated. They are known as the Later Qin TTL because the OTL dynasty which took that name doesn't exist, so there was no reason to call them "Former Qin", but differentiation was still necessary to tell them apart from the actual Qin.

[5] Athanarius is more cautious than his father, and knows Gothia can't survive a second war with the Huns. Better to live as friends than die as enemies, in his mind.

[6] Houqin is simply Later Qin in Chinese.

[7] This marks the beginning of several short-lived emperors who are installed by the kshatriyas, then killed when they stop being useful. Needless to say, the Gupta Empire won't prosper from this. For the record, the kshatriyas weren't behind Kalidagupta's death - not as a group, anyway. Who killed him and why remains a mystery to TTL's modern day.

[8] As his name shows, the Palmyrenes have become less Latin and more Hellenistic. Nasor Septimios would be considered by many historians to be the last great Palmyrene emperor.

[9] Fu Pi, or the Aiping Emperor as he's known OTL, deposed his older brother after Fu Jian's murder OTL. He was an ambitious and untrustworthy man, and would have probably tried to become emperor regardless of his father's fate.

Last edited:

Nasor Septimios sacks the city of Callinicum, in Rafidayn

Athanarius sacks Artaxata, capital of Armenia. The royal family flees to
Tadmor, ending the Armenian Kingdom

Qifu Guoren, Prince of Wanchuan, dies

Godigisu, King of the Vandals, defeats the Huns on the Ister, temporarily stopping the Huns

Khan Beltazar, ruler of the Huns, dies. He is succeded by Uldinus.

Nasor Septimios begins a five year seige of Al Hira, the Lakhmid capital.

Silvanus bans all non-Invictine worship in the Gallic Empire.

Rudrasena II, ruler of the Vakataka Kingdom in the Deccan, moves north and crushes the local kshatriyas of the Gupta Empire, installing himself as regent for his brother-in-law Naradigupta

An Indian philosopher named Malinaga Vatsyayana arrives in Egypt. Known locally as Malinicus Batsianus, he bogons writing his work, the Erotika Thematos

Xuanzhao begins an expansion of Chang'an. Similar building projects are instituted across China, including an renovation of the Great Wall

Heduohan of the Ruoran leaps upon the weakened Tuoba, defeating them in battle and forcing them to move westwards, towards the Gaoche.

Gwanggaeto rises to the throne of Goguryeo.

Ella Eon of Axum leads an army north from Axumite Arabia, conquering the Arabian coast of the Red Sea.

Xuanzhao treats an ambassador from "the King of Wa." [1]

Theugastus declares himself King of the Franks

Ella Eon begins marching another army up the coastof Arabia, towards the Persian Gulf.

First Tocharian-Vakataka War breaks out.

Al Hira falls to Nasor's army, leading to the end of the Lakhmid kingdom.

Ambrosius Aurelius outlaws gladiatorial combat in the Restored Empire.

With the decline of an Imperial presence in Hispania, Syrian Christianity begins to spread in Tarraconensis.

The general Mao Xing attempts to raise rebellion in Southern China. After some initial success, he is defeated and killed by the Emperor's brother Fu Rong.

The First Tocharian-Vatakata War ends when Rudrasena convinces the Kidarites, or Red Huns, of the Central Indus to switch allegiance from Tocharistan to Vatakata.

Ella Eon dies, and is succeded by his son Ella Daniel, who rules an empire stretching across Aethiopia and Arabia.

Emperor Silvanus dies, and is succeded by his adopted son, Vitalinus, who takes the name Vitalinus Silvanus.

Gothia, with Hunnic backing, invades Palmyrene Anatolia. Nasor Septimios is able to stop them at Alexandretta, but is unable to regain any lost land.

The Sarmatians, also with Hunnic backing and Alan aid, sack and raid throughout Greece before returning to Epirus.

Ambrosius Aurelius begins enlisting Vandal aid to defend the Restored Empire's borders.

The Eleusinian Mysteries come to an end with the destruction of their holy sites by the Sarmatians.

Vatakata begins exerting influence over the South Indian states.

Houqin China begins moving into SE Asia.

The Xiongnu move into the Gansu region, establishing the Kingdom of Xia. [2]

Pope Donatus II dies, and is succeded by Pope Anthemius I.

Martinus of Alexandria writes a biography of St. Valentinus I, the first hagiography in history.

Ambrosius Aurelius dies, and is succeded by his son, Ambrosius Herrininus.

Ringanus of Deva begins missionary work amongst the Caledonii.

Ambrosius Herrininus is killed, and a general named Volusius is proclaimed Augustus by the army.

Naradigupta is killed, and Rudrasena names his second son Agnivar as Gupta Emperor. He changes his name to Agnigupta.

Volusius is himself killed, and a politician named Theodorus becomes Augustus.

Shapur II becomes King of Kings in Persia.

Fa Xian, a Chinese Buddhist monk, travels to Nepal to study in his religion's homeland.

Godigisu invades Italy, and gains concessions from his nominal overlord Theodorus, including the position of magister militum.

Last recorded mention of the Paeonians, who are absorbed into Vandal and Gothic culture completely.

Approximate date construction on Great Zimbabwe begins.

Xuanzhao dies, and is succeded by his son Fu Hong, who becomes the Daomutang Emperor.

[1] Wa is, of course, Yamato Japan. The "king of Wa" at this time would be, according to tradition, Emperor Nintoku, who is most well known for that giant key-shaped island tomb in Osaka.

[2] So called because the Xiongnu claim descent from the near-mythical Xia Dynasty.

Last edited:
Is anyone interested in seeing this continue? I haven't received a comment since April, and it's getting really frustrating and disappointing to put all this effort into a timeline when it feels like no one is reading. I have a few maps almost ready, but I can't post them if no one's going to look at them.

I'm really interested in this TL, I'm just a lurker at heart. I'm sure many others are the same, as the number of views for this thread shows. Please keep it up, and I'd love to see some maps!

Is anyone interested in seeing this continue? I haven't received a comment since April, and it's getting really frustrating and disappointing to put all this effort into a timeline when it feels like no one is reading. I have a few maps almost ready, but I can't post them if no one's going to look at them.
I would like to see it continue too.:)

Very well, I'll try to get my maps done by tomorrow.

In the mean time, does anyone actually have any comments or criticisms on how things are going?

The World in 400, Part 1: Europe

Europe is going through the period later historians would call the "Romantic Age". The continent is divided into numerous succesor states to the Romans.

Spain: Spain, or more appropiately the Principality of Hispania, is the westernmost nation in Europe. Spain broke from the Gallic Empire in opposition to Emperor Silvanus and his preference for the northern provinces. Spain has never been affected by the barbarians who are raiding the civilized world, and thus are the wealthiest nad most populous of the Romantic kingdoms. Officially Spain follows the Invictine faith, though it lacks the fanaticism of Gaul and has a large Christian population. Spain is ruled by the Cassii family. Its capital is Toletum, though Prince Cassius is planning to relocate to Emerita Augusta soon. The Hispanians speak a variant of Latin.

Gaul: The Gallic Empire is the main succesor to the Empire in the west. Gaul broke away in the Third Century under Postumus I, and has been independent ever since. Gaul is heavily syncretic, and is the least Roman of the Romantic kingdoms. Gaul is a heavily militarized state, defended by legions and Germanic (primarily Burgundii and Frankish) mercenaries. Gaul is the center of the Invictine faith, and frowns upon other faiths being practised, though a secretive Chrisitain community exists in both Gaul proper and Britain, and druidism continues to be practised in the wilds of Northwest Britain. Gaul is ruled by a Romano-Briton named Vitalinus (Gwydelin, in his own language). The capital is Victorinum (OTL Orleans). The Gallo-Romans speak a Romance language that has significant Gaulish influences (the ancestor, more or less, of Occitan). The Romano-Britons speak Brythonic, a Celtic language.

Ireland: Hibernia has changed little due to its remoteness, although the Christian population is larger in TTL's 400 than it was OTL.

Italy: The Restored Roman Empire is the major power in Italy, with only the city state of Sancti Sebastiani (San Marino OTL). Italy is a weak region, ravaged by war and famine as the Roman Empire collapsed. Italians don't even make up the legions anymore, with the majority of soldiers being Vandals or Alemannians, with the Vandal king being Magister Militum. Italy is a Christian region, following the Syrian Church. The Italians speak a variant of Latin. They are ruled by Theodorus Augustus, though all real power is held by the Magister Militum. The capital is Rome.

Vandals: The Vandals are an East Germanic people who live in the Noricum region. They are currently the largest of the Germanic states after Gothia, and rule over Suevi, Marcomanni, Alamanni, and Quadi tribes as well. Godigisu, the King of Vandals, is also Magister Militum of the Restored Empire, and thus Augustus in all but name. Godigisu is currently worried about the Hunnic Khaganate on his borders, and he has been considering moving his people into the easier-to-defend Italy.

Sarmatian Epirus: Though vassaled to the Huns, the Sarmatians remain independent due to Epirus's geography. The Sarmatians are an Iranian people who migrated west to fill the void left by the Goths, only to be driven further west by the Rhoxolani Alans. The Sarmatians have no king, but a council of tribal chieftains.

Gothia: Gothia's European holdings include all of Greece and Macedon and most of Thrace. The Gothic rule in Greece is light, and the Hellenes continue on as they did under the Romans, though they follow the Syrian Church in opposition to their Manichean rulers. The Walha of Macedonia and Thrace follow the heretical Marcionic faith, while the Ostrogothic nobility themselves are Manichaen.

Hunland: The Huns are the new power rising in Europe, having absorbed the Gepids, Rhoxolani lans, Ossetian Alans, Bulgars, and Scirii into their Khaganate, and vassalized the Sarmatians and Goths. Khagan Uldinus has looked even further west, to the Vandal lands. However, Uldinus is growing old, and he has no universally accepted succesor.

The Rest: The rest of Europe is largely unaffected by the changes. Germania is still divided into numerous tribes, and the Slavs are migrating into Ultrasarmatia in the wake of the Huns.

Next Time: Africa

The World in 400, Part II: Africa

Roman Africa: Provincial Africa is the real center of power in the restored Empire, having been spared the depredations and famines that struck Italy in the past century. Africa is the breadbasket for Italy, and the main center of trade for the Mare Nostrum. Carthago, once Rome's bitter enemy, is once again an economic powerhouse, even though the political set is nearby Utica. The Anicii gens produces the most governors of any family. The Latin language here has a faint Punic accent. On a side note, neither the Restored Empire nor Hispania control Tingis - the lack of administrative control in the past century has meant Tingis has largely been left to its own devices.

Palmyrene Egypt: Egypt, or Aegyptus, has changed little in the transition from Roman to Palmyrene rule. Egypt is divided into three parts ruled by duces - Aegyptus Borealis, Aegyptus Australis, and Nubia Meroetica. The Syrian Church is strong here, having completely supplanted the old pagan beliefs that guided the Pharaohs. Egypt is probably the most cosmopolitan region in the world, with native Egyptians, Gallo-Romans, Hispano-Romans, Italics, Africans, Berbers, Axumites, Syrians, Arabs, Greeks, Persians, Indians, and even the very rare Chinese can be found in Alexandria. The Egyptians speak Coptic.

Axum: The Axumite Empire dominates the regions south of Palmyra. One of the first Christian kingdoms, Axum is ruled by kings called niguse negests. The current ruler is Ella Daniel. Axum is a young empire, still growing and developing, now ruling most of Arabia. They speak many languages, but Ge'ez is the primary language.

Vagadia: "Vagadia" is actually a Latinization of Wagadou, the kingdom we would call Ghana after its monarchs. Vagadia is just starting to get going in 400, and there is currently little difference between Vagadia and the nomadic Soninke tribes that produced it. The region is also known as Awkar (Acaria).

Special bonus: the first World Map!

EoaA.png

I'm sure people are reading this (I just did), but I think the reason why you aren't getting comments is because there's less general knowledge about ancient times so people just read it, think "ah, that's interesting" and then close the tab.
Most people know more about the 20th century. That's where most of my knowledge is relevant, anyway.

I still think that it should be common courtesy to comment on something you read and enjoyed, even if you don't know know that much about the subject matter. It's important to let the writer know his work doesn't fall on blind eyes.

I'm sure people are reading this (I just did), but I think the reason why you aren't getting comments is because there's less general knowledge about ancient times so people just read it, think "ah, that's interesting" and then close the tab.
Most people know more about the 20th century. That's where most of my knowledge is relevant, anyway.

I still think that it should be common courtesy to comment on something you read and enjoyed, even if you don't know know that much about the subject matter. It's important to let the writer know his work doesn't fall on blind eyes.
Thanks for commenting, and I'd agree that's why this TL doesn't get that many comments (and is probably why both my attempts at making a collaborative TL failed). It's also responsible for why this TL is somewhat disjointed - India especially is little more than random events thrown in.

On that note, I've been considering overhauling this TL completely, using a different period for the balkanization of the Roman Empire - I've been looking at the period following Diocletian's abdication as a possible one., though I could just use the previous "Gallic Empire and Palmyrene Empire survive." I now know more about that period than I did back in 2008 - which, ironically, screwed up the entire premise, as this was supposed to be a TL about Rome falling in 267 instead of 476. If you guys agree with this, I'll conclude by posting an epilogue showing what I had planned for this TL in its original form.

I read the TL so far today, i liked the idea of sub roman states.
Also i found you made a good job about the religious balance.
Don't give up!;)

I read the TL so far today, i liked the idea of sub roman states.
Also i found you made a good job about the religious balance.
Don't give up!;)
I'm not giving up, I just think this TL is in serious need of an overhaul in order to deal with the new research and information I have. I've decided to keep roughly the same POD as before.

Well, I've been prepping it, and now I can safely say that the relaunch of this timeline will occur within the week. With new, more accurate infromation at my disposal this will hopefully be a better, more fully realized timeline.

Well, I've been prepping it, and now I can safely say that the relaunch of this timeline will occur within the week. With new, more accurate infromation at my disposal this will hopefully be a better, more fully realized timeline.
:D
Excellent, I was wondering where this had gone.