The Empire Parnell Built

I'm surprised by how's few nukes there are. The fact it took until 98 for the US to get any and the fact they let Mexico have any. Especially since that last one feels like it would be a trigger for another Mexican-American war. Actually how can Mexico even afford the nukes?

Actually how can Mexico even afford the nukes?
The same way that North Korea and Pakistan can OTL... If you think they're important enough, you'll make your people eat grass to get them.

I'm surprised by how's few nukes there are. The fact it took until 98 for the US to get any and the fact they let Mexico have any. Especially since that last one feels like it would be a trigger for another Mexican-American war.
Before Mexico announced its nuclear programme, there wasn't considered any particular need for the US to have a nuclear deterrent, seeing as she's not a very active country militarily TTL. There was a bit of public clamour after Mexico unveiled its first weapon, hence the decision to pursue an American deterrent. At first, the idea was that this deterrent would be 'American Made' before the program was eventually completed in cooperation with Sweden and Britain.

As for whether it would start a war: why would America attack Mexico now? They have nukes.

On the question of amount, there are a couple of things to say. Firstly, bear in mind that the numbers are deliberately stated to be lower bound estimates so the actual number of nuclear bombs lying around TTL is probably higher. And secondly, the idea is that a number of missile reduction programmes brokered by Brazil and other non-nuclear powers brings down the overall number during the 21st century.

Congo: High Commissioner selection 1955
Image 10-10-2021 at 08.42.jpeg

65 years?! That‘s insane. That’s nearly twice as long as Mir and ISS combined. The upkeep for that long must be ridiculous and probably easier and cheaper just to build a new station
A lot of the reason for the maintenance rather than replacement is kind of pride at this point. There's definitely a 'Ship of Theseus' vibe about the whole station by now.
This makes me wonder what space program Russia, China, and America have ITTL.
China and Russia have sent unmanned probes into space but the US doesn't have a space program as yet.

A lot of the reason for the maintenance rather than replacement is kind of pride at this point. There's definitely a 'Ship of Theseus' vibe about the whole station by now.

China and Russia have sent unmanned probes into space but the US doesn't have a space program as yet.
Ok but why don't they have one, like the no nukes until after Mexico(and it still taking a couple decades) is stretching it(you really seem to not understand how the US treats threats to its stranglehold of the America's outside its ally's) but I mean FFS Syria has a space agency that it started during the civil war they're currently undergoing. There's literally no reason the US TTL shouldn't have one even if it's just two guys in a the back of a truck lighting off toy rockets.