The Empire Parnell Built

As usual, I’d like to know more about the Cold War and the conflicts that the US fights in. Both within the nation and outside.
There's a rough equivalent to the Cold War freezing up (if that's the right expression) between the British Empire and China right now, mainly over questions of geopolitical influence in Africa and the Middle East, as well as the Indian-Chinese border.

As for the US, they've been pretty quiet on the international conflict front: the Spanish-American War happened as OTL but the US did not participate in either the Wilhelmite Wars (1914-17) and the Nine Years War (1937-46) and there is a strong movement in the Republican and Progressive Parties for military cuts as part of a government efficiency drive. The US military is generally thought to have underperformed during the Philippine Uprising, though, so that might focus/change minds.

So, no German Nationalist Party (like Deutscher Nationalverband in OTL Austria-Hungary ) in TTL Danubia? And no any Jewish Party?

So, no German Nationalist Party (like Deutscher Nationalverband in OTL Austria-Hungary ) in TTL Danubia? And no any Jewish Party?

So the 'parties' aren't unitary parties as such but parliamentary groups as in the OTL European Parliament. So the ethnic-based parties are there but within the four main groupings

Last edited:
Russia: 1954 election
Image 01-10-2021 at 09.05.jpeg

I mean I still don't understand the how part of Nepal being a princely state to be integrated in the Indian Dominion. It signed treaties with France, Austria, Egypt, the Ottomans, Iran in 1851, 1854, 1852, 1859 as an independent power and continued to sign trade and business throughout the latter half of the 19th century. Britain supervised the proceedings but allowed the treaties to take place. Nepal also formally declared their intention to war in 1857 in aid of the British, a symbolic move, done by an independent power. Furthermore in 1858, Britain formally acknowledged Nepal's independence by the handover of Terai, wherein the British treaty of handover of territory called Nepal 'an independent and sovereign nation, whose sovereignty is inalienable'.

Did an invasion take place to integrate Nepal? That would certainly explain the separatism.

Last edited:
I mean I still don't understand the how part of Nepal being a princely state to be integrated in the Indian Dominion. It signed treaties with France, Austria, Egypt, the Ottomans, Iran in 1851, 1854, 1852, 1859 as an independent power and continued to sign trade and business throughout the latter half of the 19th century. Britain supervised the proceedings but allowed the treaties to take place. Nepal also formally declared their intention to war in 1857 in aid of the British, a symbolic move, done by an independent power. Furthermore in 1858, Britain formally acknowledged Nepal's independence by the handover of Terai, wherein the British treaty of handover of territory called Nepal 'an independent and sovereign nation, whose sovereignty is inalienable'.

Did an invasion take place to integrate Nepal? That would certainly explain the separatism.
Nepal (and Bhutan) both agreed to be absorbed into India as princely states under the terms of the Government of India Act 1919, which gave India legislative independence. The act was also linked to a series of treaties with China which formalised the border along the Himalayas.

As a princely state, Nepal has full (pretty much) internal autonomy and gets to send a member (usually the king or crown prince) to act as a member of the Princes' Chamber. At the time this was considered to be preferable to protectorate status because it gave added security to Nepalese territorial integrity while also allowing certain traditions of self-governance to continue.

Not quite decided on that - IIRC it was a pretty close run thing OTL so maybe just the flap of some butterflies.

It's not really a question of 'losing' anything. TTL I'd say it's only really the Philippines where the US would've quite liked to keep up the link. As things are TTL, the fractured state of US politics makes it harder to admit new states and, once the territories are granted directly elected governors, the question of independence is always going to be out there. Really, it's not exactly hard to imagine a TL where PR was given a referendum some time in the 50s and 60s that went for independence - it probably would've happened if it hadn't been for the independence extremists hardening attitudes by trying to kill Truman and then the Cuban Revolution making everything a bit of a Cold War nightmare. TTL, where US foreign policy has been taken over by (broadly speaking) an isolationist posture, it's not as if Hawaii, Guam or Samoa have many particular uses and it's easy to imagine a culturally-defined independence movement taking root in the environment of the 60s onwards.

Alaska is a bit more of a stretch for a bunch of reasons. What happens with it is that you get to the 1980s and it's got a directly elected governor and it's not going to become a state, so basically more and more people think "hey, why don't we call our governor the president instead and use this lovely oil money to decide our own fate a bit more?"
lets hope a certain Mayor does not run and get elected President.

Nuclear-armed states
Because I was listening to a documentary about the Manhattan Project this morning, here's a quick and dirty list of nuclear-armed states as of January 2022. I might have to amend it later but this is canon for now.

Image 09-10-2021 at 14.41.jpeg