The Empire Parnell Built

Real tough times for Western Europe combined with a generally more hospitable economic climate in Brazil and Argentina (especially). It'll all become clearer eventually.

Can't tell if this is meant as a compliment or not...
hmm so the revenues for the English WSL may be higher in this world than Serie A. Amusing

Rough times indeed, the only country in Europe outside Britian that seems to be doing ok is Danubia. Everywhere else seems to be varying levels of poor to failed state so far.
I wouldn't say they're failed states as such but definitely poorer, less developed and more depopulated. The kernel of this idea came from me thinking "what if I butterfly away the full awfulness of the two World Wars in Europe but that turns out to be not a great thing in the long run?"...

hmm so the revenues for the English WSL may be higher in this world than Serie A. Amusing
Absolutely (and revenue updates for women's leagues will come in the weeks to come too).

United Kingdom: 1880 election
Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 18.47.57.png

Seems kind of strange that Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are separate nations. Did they go their own way after Quebec seceded from Canada?

Seems kind of strange that Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are separate nations. Did they go their own way after Quebec seceded from Canada?

Yes. All the Atlantic provinces are part of Canada as OTL (including Newfoundland's dalliance with independent dominion status up to 1949) but when Quebec goes independent in the 1990s they all decide that, given they no longer have a land connection with the rest of Canada, they fancy their chances as independent realms within the Empire. A couple of decades later, it's working out... fine (???)

Last edited:
Yes. All the Pacific provinces are part of Canada as OTL (including Newfoundland's dalliance with independent dominion status up to 1949) but, when Quebec goes independent in the 1990s they all decide that, given they now longer have a land connection with the rest of Canada, they fancy their chances as independent realms within the Empire. A couple of decades later, it's working out... fine (???)
Pssst, wrong ocean.

Yes. All the Atlantic provinces are part of Canada as OTL (including Newfoundland's dalliance with independent dominion status up to 1949) but when Quebec goes independent in the 1990s they all decide that, given they no longer have a land connection with the rest of Canada, they fancy their chances as independent realms within the Empire. A couple of decades later, it's working out... fine (???)
Why aren’t they united ?

Why aren’t they united ?

In-universe, there are a variety of advantages to being independent realms rather than joining a confederation. For example, this way you can each appoint a member to the various privy council boards, giving a more direct voice to the people of, say, New Brunswick than if they were subsumed within an Atlantic confederation. Also, the way that the Empire distributes aid and stabilisation funds means there won't be as much of a fiscal hole from leaving Canada as OTL.

Out-of-universe, I think the flags of PEI and New Brunswick are cool and wanted a chance to use them.

Last edited:
Sport: Most valuable men's rugby leagues
The final update on my series on the biggest leagues in men's sport. In the future, I will move on to stats for minority sports and for the main women's leagues. A politics update will come this weekend, as usual. Hopefully, this table will go some way to answering the questions I've been getting like "What's up with Italy?" and "No seriously, what's up with Italy?"

As an explanation, the rugby league/union split doesn't take place due to the RFU accepting professionalism in the 1890s. The sport then takes over from gridiron football in North America during the 1910s and '20s due to continued British cultural hegemony and even more European immigration to the States.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 12.11.56.png

Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 12.12.23.png

The final update on my series on the biggest leagues in men's sport. In the future, I will move on to stats for minority sports and for the main women's leagues. A politics update will come this weekend, as usual. Hopefully, this table will go some way to answering the questions I've been getting like "What's up with Italy?" and "No seriously, what's up with Italy?"

As an explanation, the rugby league/union split doesn't take place due to the RFU accepting professionalism in the 1890s. The sport then takes over from gridiron football in North America during the 1910s and '20s due to continued British cultural hegemony and even more European immigration to the States.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask.

View attachment 636210
View attachment 636211
So, TTL Italy collapsed and Naples, Rome and others are indepedent nations?

A list of the 30 largest economies in the world, which I hope will raise more questions than it answers.

The currency GDP is denominated in is the League of Nations Thaler, which is issued by the World Bank (itself governed by the League of Nations) in Constantinople and acts as a global reserve currency. It is also legal tender in many countries but only the World Bank can produce it. Its exchange rate with national currencies is fixed, meaning that it functions a bit like the US$ did OTL under the Bretton Woods system. So think of these figures as GDP (PPP) equivalents, with all the positives and negatives that has as against nominal GDP as it has on OTL.

View attachment 629494
View attachment 629495
only way I can explain THESE - Europe survived some GREAT CATASTROPHE, maybe nuclear war?
Right?

Oh look Italy colla.... does that say the US Rugby League has 130 teams? Holy crap that's gotta be a headache to schedule and fit together in a single year. That has to have a league set up closer to the NCAA with a "league within a league" style system with the top teams being voted on.

So, TTL Italy collapsed and Naples, Rome and others are indepedent nations?
More or less. There's also an independent Savoy, Sardinia, Tuscany and Sicily thrown in there.

only way I can explain THESE - Europe survived some GREAT CATASTROPHE, maybe nuclear war?
Right?
From what we've seen so far, it looks like their TTL history is a lot like OTL Argentina.
So the original idea for this TL was me thinking about how the first half of the 20th century being so terrible for Europe in many weird ways paved the way for the economic miracle of the 40s-70s. That then expanded into a "What if Europe started the 20th century rich and ended it poor/middling and Latin America started it middling/rich and ended it rich?" (And, because it's me, I've thrown in a successful Home Rule movement with a side of Britwank too.) The particular connections between TTL France and OTL Argentina are because I have recently been reading a lot of stuff about their histories and am just fascinated by the convergent evolution of Gaulism and Peronism. My plans are that they'll diverge sufficiently to not be a simple one-to-one flip though...

Oh look Italy colla.... does that say the US Rugby League has 130 teams? Holy crap that's gotta be a headache to schedule and fit together in a single year. That has to have a league set up closer to the NCAA with a "league within a league" style system with the top teams being voted on.
That's about on the money - my idea was basically ripped off OTL's top level of the NCAA, with c.5/6 regional leagues culminating in a national post-season tournament which takes place over the Thanksgiving-Christmas period.

Sport: Most valuable women's cricket leagues
It occurred to me that I ought to clarify (for those of you who wonder about this) what I mean by 'cricket' TTL. Technically, the sports are slightly different between the men's and women's games. The men's game is 20 overs a side but played with an OTL first class ball (red or pink, depending on if it's a day or a day-night game), OTL first class fielding restrictions but OTL T20 bowling restrictions. The women's game, however, is exactly the same as OTL T20 (i.e. with power plays and a white ball). When I get to the women's leagues for soccer and rugby in the coming weeks, assume the rules are the same across the men's and women's game.

Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 11.01.33.png