The Empire Parnell Built

United States: 1996 elections
Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 09.01.10.png
Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 09.01.36.png

Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 09.01.51.png
Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 09.02.15.png

Wait, there's going to be a new US constitution ITTL?
It's really going to be more of an administrative thing, than anything else. By this point there have been 31 amendments (I will provide a list at some point), including some which have completely changed how the branches of government are elected and composed, so it was deemed sensible to just clean everything up and maybe add one or two 'nice to haves' as well.

Goddamn the basedness of the US in this world almost makes up for... everything else

Some other countries (Like Brazil and the British Empire) don't seem too bad.
Britain and most other parts of the Empire are kind of like their Victorian competitive oligarchy selves, albeit now with welfare states to keep everyone happy. Take that any way you want...

Recently I've been trying to write Russia as more of a success story. I'll be updating (again, sorry) the list of largest GDPs to take account of my changed thinking on these topics. But the real success stories relative to OTL are the Latin American countries: Brazil and Argentina, obviously, because I've followed them closely but Peru, Columbia and Venezuela are also significant success stories, with living standards at an OTL Western European level. (I plan to do retrospectives on points in their history when this TL eventually winds down.)

Britain and most other parts of the Empire are kind of like their Victorian competitive oligarchy selves, albeit now with welfare states to keep everyone happy. Take that any way you want...
Yeah I don't think Britain is that bad, I was more referring to the clusterfuck of Europe, especially the apparently ongoing genocide in Germany. Plus I'd imagine that the Anglo-Chinese War ends up causing a lot of death.

Nice parallel!

Is it not convention though that Chancellor of the Exchequer always hails from the Commons, though?
It is and Melchett's appointment was controversial, although he insisted. Caroline Lucas was appointed Second Secretary of the Treasury and she formally introduced the budget to the Commons.