The Empire Parnell Built

Stassen is basically this TL’s version of Urho Kekkonen at this point
Most AH writers (including me) have basic ideas of “oh what if Stassen was successful” and leave it at that. Our friend @Rattigan goes much further and has Stassen be not just successful but do it while *still* being a perennial candidate.

Very unique take

Any figures you see being named by TTL's equivalent to Time Magazine as the Person of the Century? Would Einstein (or an equivalent scientist) still be the "Person of the Century" or would a politician or humanitarian get the nod here?
That’s a really interesting question. In terms of political figures, I think Stassen, Tukhachevsky or the Guangxu Emperor would each have good cases. In terms of scientists then guys like Mark Oliphant, as the father of the British nuclear program, or the 9th Earl of Ilchester, as an important engineer for the nuclear program and the Ministry of Space, would also be in with a shout. As a kind of public intellectual, when I was planning this TL I had this idea for J.K. Galbraith to have been this kind of economic guru to the Indian government during its march from colony to economic powerhouse, so he might also be in with a shout.
Twenty-six years as President? I know that the the US is much less demanding on its leadership than OTL, but that must have really been something for Stassen to go through alright. What's the general view of his Presidency, both good and bad?

Especially as an entire generation of Americans has grown up knowing nothing but his time in office.
It’s an interesting question. My brief answer would be to say “it’s complicated.” His presidency undoubtedly saw prosperity and security but, certainly with him gone, his autocratic tendencies do attract more criticism. I think by 1980 a lot of people are pretty excited to elect a new president…

Also, as there are 900 million Americans ITTL with the population swelled by immigration from the mess Europe is ITTL, maybe we could have some OTL European politicians who's parents immigrated to the US here appear as potential US Presidents or Congressional leaders here?
I kind of wanted to keep that to a minimum actually, in order to give myself more flexibility in choosing politicians for European elections…

Most AH writers (including me) have basic ideas of “oh what if Stassen was successful” and leave it at that. Our friend @Rattigan goes much further and has Stassen be not just successful but do it while *still* being a perennial candidate.

Very unique take
Originally my plan was for him to keep on winning until he died in office but I decided that would get boring after a while…

Originally my plan was for him to keep on winning until he died in office but I decided that would get boring after a while…
Meaning he would be the second-longest non-royal leader ITTL as US President for 47 years (the first being Tukhachevsky, who rules Russia for 49 years) in such a scenario.

Meaning he would be the second-longest non-royal leader ITTL as US President for 47 years (the first being Tukhachevsky, who rules Russia for 49 years) in such a scenario.
TBH, I doubt Stassen would live as long as he did IOTL; the presidency is a stressful job, and doing it for 24 years straight can't be good for your health.

Greece: Greco-Yugoslav War (1977-85)
Screenshot 2021-12-26 at 18.43.15.png

This actually raises a good question: How are the Croats and Bosniaks faring ITTL?
OTL Croatia is still part of the Danubian Federation so Croats and Bosniaks generally find themselves living in the subdivision called the Grand Duchy of Herzegovina. I'll do an update on Yugoslavian self-government soon(ish) as now seems a good time.

Well, deification of a modern-day ruler in the style of Roman Emperors was something I did not expect, though it does fit with how Tukhachevsky radically changed Russia ITTL.