The Empire Parnell Built

Just a small question- A guy from Eastern Europe, with Slavic origins, in which category would qualifiy? He is neither (anglo)-saxon nor latin
Oh, I think you’re looking for a world where American race politics make sense…

More seriously, the distinction between White Anglo-Saxon and White Latin is generally meant to be a distinction between the European-descended who are stereotyped as hard working proper Americans (the former) and those who are stereotyped as feckless layabouts (the latter). So in practice, if you’re an American descended from Poles you’re going to tick the Anglo-Saxon block even if that doesn’t really make genealogical sense. There has been moves to change the census classifications to “Northern and Eastern European” and “Mediterranean European” to make it clearer what the latter is measuring but not in time for the 2020 census

Why is the population so gigantic? Is it because of refugees from whatever Bad Stuff(TM) is happening in Europe?

Likely given it seems outside the British and Austrians that Europe is apparently fucked beyond belief.
The basic idea is that the balance of forces in Congress has been altered such that there is a majority for immigration restrictions on Asian immigrants but not on European. This is combined with a bunch of progressive technocratic natalist reforms from the 1930s onwards to lead to a population explosion.
I wonder what effect this had on the racial politics of the US, given that African-Americans are such a minority.
It’s a good question. What I would say is that, in terms of raw numbers, there are roughly the same amount of African Americans TTL as OTL, it’s just because of the population explosion among various whites that their % looks smaller.

I would think that African Americans would remain pretty important in American culture, not least because of their importance in American history and the fact that their populations still tend to be concentrated in Northern cities and Southern rural areas still gives them a degree of cultural visibility.

United States: 1918 midterms
Screenshot 2021-06-12 at 11.16.42.png
Screenshot 2021-06-12 at 11.17.48.png

Hey, uh @Rattigan

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Nicholas M. Butler could not be Teddy's running mate as they were both from New York.
Ah crap, I'd missed that. Let's say Butler pulls a Cheney and switches his home state to New Jersey at the last minute. (Still not the cleverest ticket-balancing by the GOP but there you go...)

Hey, uh @Rattigan

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Nicholas M. Butler could not be Teddy's running mate as they were both from New York.
I hate that myth, Butler can be TRs running mate, the 12th just means that the electors of New York can't vote for both them. However there's nothing about them being "faithless" and voting for TR while picking a different VP that isn't from New York.

I hate that myth, Butler can be TRs running mate, the 12th just means that the electors of New York can't vote for both them. However there's nothing about them being "faithless" and voting for TR while picking a different VP that isn't from New York.
Ah. That clears things up.