The Emperor of Elba Or: What if Napoleon stayed on Elba?

Well the title says it all doesn't it? What if Napoleon hadn't landed in France after his banishment to Elba? It certainly means that France is punished far less severely. It also cuts in the prestige the United Kingdom gained at Waterloo. Is a war between Russia and Prussia on one hand and France, Great Britain and Austria on the other possible? Tensions at Vienna certainly ran high.

Hapsburg

Banned
The various secret treaties and back-door negotiations that went on would probably result in continued war in Europe between the various powers.
Napoleon will look on it and laugh, and stay content on his little island; he will write in his diary: "All the kings and politicians of Europe will look up and shout 'save us', and I will whisper, 'no'." :D

Last edited:
Nice pod, and good paraphrasing Hapsburg.

One matter will be a larger Monaco including Menton.

Agreed that a new warb is likely to break out with the Emperor not providing a new threat. Who knows he may be able to return at a later date? Perhaps a Bonapartist coup that invites him back.

What would the war be over?

Prussia's plan for annexing Saxony and Russia's plan for annexing (more?) of Poland then it was already promised?

Or would it be over something else.

Who would be be on who's side as well.

Here is map posted sometime ago by Susano. It show Germany as it was when the Congress of Vienna started. Without Napoleon's 100 days, there would be a lot of reasons to go to war:

p814d_a3_mb.gif

Faeelin

Banned
What would the war be over?

Prussia's plan for annexing Saxony and Russia's plan for annexing (more?) of Poland then it was already promised?

Or would it be over something else.

Who would be be on who's side as well.

Sadly, it seems like the threat of war over this issue had already passed by the time Bonaparte escaped. What may occur is that Napoleon will have a poor, if illustrious, court of exiled liberals and dissidents, repackaging his name and identity for future generations.

In 2009, Napoleon is recognized by all as a Philosopher-king who tried to form an early EU to avert bloodshed.

Susano

Banned
Here is map posted sometime ago by Susano. It show Germany as it was when the Congress of Vienna started. Without Napoleon's 100 days, there would be a lot of reasons to go to war:

I must say, an Austrian secundogeniture in the Palatinate and Fulda would be quite cool. Of course, France still has slightly more territory than after the 100 Days here, which is bad :p

Sadly, it seems like the threat of war over this issue had already passed by the time Bonaparte escaped. What may occur is that Napoleon will have a poor, if illustrious, court of exiled liberals and dissidents, repackaging his name and identity for future generations.

In 2009, Napoleon is recognized by all as a Philosopher-king who tried to form an early EU to avert bloodshed.

Or, maybe, it will occur that the name of Napoleon is whispered all over Europe wherever the reaction is strangling the legacy de l'Empereur. And a red N or a golden bee scribbled on a wall can put fright in the heart of tyrants :cool:

Or, in another TL, that le pauvre Empereur dies even earlier than IOTL when a tyrant or another sends a killer without pity :eek:

I must say, an Austrian secundogeniture in the Palatinate and Fulda would be quite cool. Of course, France still has slightly more territory than after the 100 Days here, which is bad :p

:rolleyes: Germany just traded Salzburg, Maastricht, and bloody Belgium for 5 square klicks of the Palatinate.

Susano

Banned
:rolleyes: Germany just traded Salzburg, Maastricht, and bloody Belgium for 5 square klicks of the Palatinate.

Salzburg would be German either way. After all, there was no State of Germany at that time, and Bavaria or Austria, meh (and it would be inside the Confederation anyways, if theres one ITTL). Belgium is a good point, though.

Salzburg would be German either way. After all, there was no State of Germany at that time, and Bavaria or Austria, meh (and it would be inside the Confederation anyways, if theres one ITTL). Belgium is a good point, though.

It's a really weird map, makes me keep thinking "huhwah?" I mean, Maastricht! And Prussian Belgium! And Austrian that-place-that-got-to-be-Bavarian-in-1815! And the weird Poland-Prussia border! And Salzburg! And slightly-larger France! And -

Strike that, it's an awesome map. Somebody should put it in the map thread. :cool:

Thande

Donor
It's Russian Occupied Saxony that always does it for me. I mean, I know in reality it wouldn't stay that way, but it seems so bizarre to have that right next to Prussia when Prussia is all the way over occupying Belgium...

Susano

Banned
It's a really weird map, makes me keep thinking "huhwah?" I mean, Maastricht! And Prussian Belgium! And Austrian that-place-that-got-to-be-Bavarian-in-1815! And the weird Poland-Prussia border! And Salzburg! And slightly-larger France! And -

Strike that, it's an awesome map. Somebody should put it in the map thread. :cool:

Eh, but its an OTL map ;) And as said, Ive posted it before, so it is... somewhere.
And the weird Poland-Prussia border is Prussia without Posen. So, not bad - Germany gets the German and German-Polish mixed areas, and (Russian,a mdittedly) Poland gains the Polish areas...

It's Russian Occupied Saxony that always does it for me. I mean, I know in reality it wouldn't stay that way, but it seems so bizarre to have that right next to Prussia when Prussia is all the way over occupying Belgium...
You have to admit, though, that "Czar of all Russias, King of Poland and Saxony" would make for a cool style :D
In that other thread where this came up there was the suggestion of Prussia and Russia exchanging Silesia and Saxony...

Thande

Donor
and Russia exchanging Silesia and Saxony...

What would happen to Silesia? Separate state with the Tsar as head of state, like Congress Poland? I assume it wouldn't be merged into Poland given its predominantly German population at this point.

Might be interesting actually - unless Silesia gets caught up in German nationalism, you could see a situation where the Poles rebel and the Silesians help the Russians put it down, thus setting up HurganPL's idea of OTL :D

Susano

Banned
Eh, Congres Poland came about due to the Vienna Congress. If the Congress fails, Poland will immidatly be diretc part of Russia, most likely, as will Silesia. Which is bad for Silesia, too - they come from reform-era Prussia to reactionary Russia, whose rights situation was worse than even post-reform-era Prussias. So in any kind of Polish uprising, Silesia might rise up alongside, if it doesnt gain special rights.

Thande

Donor
Eh, Congres Poland came about due to the Vienna Congress. If the Congress fails, Poland will immidatly be diretc part of Russia, most likely, as will Silesia. Which is bad for Silesia, too - they come from reform-era Prussia to reactionary Russia, whose rights situation was worse than even post-reform-era Prussias. So in any kind of Polish uprising, Silesia might rise up alongside, if it doesnt gain special rights.

Oh, of course it was. I should have guessed from the name ;)

Silesia-Poland?? On the contrary to what I said, that'd have Hurgan turning in his grave (aside from the fact he's not dead ;) )

Oh, of course it was. I should have guessed from the name ;)

Silesia-Poland?? On the contrary to what I said, that'd have Hurgan turning in his grave (aside from the fact he's not dead ;) )

Well, that's kinda what we have now (albeit with some ethnic cleansing first, so it's really Poland-More Poland).