Should the Austrian Empire exist, and continue to exist? If so, in what form?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Part 2; Roman Identity in the 13th Century
"Ask any man from the Danube to the Tigris what he is, and whom he serves, and he shall tell you plainly; 'Roman, and the Grypad Emperor'," - John Lasenos, A History of Rome 1198-1307. [1]

Romanitas, the Latin-derived term that effectively means 'Roman-ness'. Such a word applies to the Empire as it stands today, a continuous vessel from the city of Rome to the City of New Rome, from the Republic to the Empire of Augustus onward. At its core is the city of New Rome, Constantinople, the City of World's Desire.

Constantinople is undoubtedly the greatest city in Christendom within the mid-13th Century; boasting a population of near 300,000 [2] across two different districts--and the reputation of never being conquered by an enemy force. It also boasts itself as defended by the Virgin Mary herself, and who can deny such a claim when there has always been victory at the head of the Hodegetria.

Constantinople is the city that taps into all the provinces of the venerable Empire, and is the nexus of it all; should the city fall the Empire falls. Yet from such a beautiful city flows the very idea of being Roman, for how can it not when the greatest Roman works of the 'modern' era reside in the beautiful city? Its greatest minds write rhetoric of such delight to learning, it's greatest builders maintain such delights as the Hagia Sophia and the rebuilt Zeuxippus [3], and its peoples speak the Romaic tongue of the Romans.

The Roman identity is a unique one; both an ethnic and a cultural one. You do not have to be Roman, to be Roman, in the sense of being one of Bulgarian descent--but one of Roman bearing and speech, makes you just as Roman as an ethnic Roman born in Constantinople, for example. The identity is complex, and often bombarded with denials from the west, who falsely claim the right to the Roman identity themselves.

The elite of the Empire, as you would expect of such Romans, do not claim the identity for themselves alone [4], instead they debate the application of to non-Imperial peoples. To be Roman is to speak its language, to indulge in its culture. One could be Bulgarian, Vlach or Turkish in ethnicity, yet be every bit as Roman as those around you. To be Roman is to be a member of God's Chosen People [5], His citizens on Earth.
--
[1] A History of Rome, 1198-1307, was a work written by the historian and scholar John Lasenos in 1455 under the reign of the first Amenoi Emperor, Constans III, who directly succeed the final Grypad Emperor Constantine XI. Constans III wanted to make it clear that he was honouring the beloved Grypads, commissioning two 'Volumes' for the Empire's use as historical texts. The first, dated 1198-1307, covered the reigns of Romanos V, John III and Dragases I. The second, released in 1458, dated 1307-1453, covered the reigns of the remaining 7 Emperors (although 2 weren't of the Grypas Dynasty). It would be held up as the highest literature on the subject, as it had very little varnish was put on the Dynasty as a whole; producing an honest text for scholarly use.

[2] By the time of John III the cities population was nearing 300,000 after the reconstruction and redistribution efforts of his father, Romanos V. John's own reign would see this further continued, and the population would hit its effective medieval peak at 350,000 at the end of the reign of his son, in-turn, Dragases I.

[3] The Baths of Zeuxippus were a major bathing complex built, and consecrated, during the reign of Constantine the Great during the founding of Constantinople. They played a major role in providing simple bathing to effectively the entire cities non-elite population. The original stucture would be heavily damaged during the Nika Revolts, and would be rebuilt following this by Justinian the Great. It would decline following the Islamic Conquests of the Middle-East and Egypt, and be carved up into separate buildings, such as a prison and silk shop. This would be reversed during the major reconstruction efforts of John III in which he would reforge much of the city, and bring bathing back to the people of Constantinople. This would be complimented with the recreation of a pseudo-grain-dole by his son Dragases I.

[4] Several works, such as those by Procopius, detail the fact that the general population of the Empire were just as Roman as the elites who owned estates and general wealth. There was no 'racism' based on class in terms of declaring one 'Non-Roman' in that regard; instead the 'racism' stemmed from the monitoring of a people, and deciding if they fit the 'ideal' of 'Romanitas'.

[5] The idea of the Romans being God's Chosen People was inadvertently perpetuated by the effective rebirth of the state following the dark period under the Angeloi, and the fact that it had 'birthed' a great Dynasty in the Grypads. It fueled an 'Romans vs Non-Romans' mentality that had existed for millennia by that point, with this only being broken by the shocking death of Constantine XI, and the formation of a new Imperial Dynasty to take the place of the Grypads.

Last edited:
this is a very good type of culture to have as it should help prevent the rise of racism across the empire as its identity is not based on ethnicity but culture it will also help with assimilation as people can just act and speak like Romans to be considered one

Wow. A lot of stuff you just released. And all of it great.

No offense but the whole “greco goths migrate to wales” sounds very very unrealistic. But I won’t regurgitate what others have already said.

As for patreon id love to help you out but I don’t have the money to do so as I am a broke as college grad looking for a job.

this is a very good type of culture to have as it should help prevent the rise of racism across the empire as its identity is not based on ethnicity but culture it will also help with assimilation as people can just act and speak like Romans to be considered one
Some would argue that it is still racism, as it declares those non-Roman as 'Barbarians'--a manner that is derogatory. However, I myself am not so sure on that claim, as its based on culture not physical traits. It can be argued, however, that enforcing the Roman identity onto these groups is cultural genocide, at least to a degree. Not quite willing to argue the point on cultural assimilation verses genocide though, as in the modern era people seen to struggle differentiating the two.
Wow. A lot of stuff you just released. And all of it great.

No offense but the whole “greco goths migrate to wales” sounds very very unrealistic. But I won’t regurgitate what others have already said.

As for patreon id love to help you out but I don’t have the money to do so as I am a broke as college grad looking for a job.
Danke.

It was more just spitballing to be honest, I tend to come up with ideas like this between posts and it just happened to go further than expected in this regard. Its unlikely I'll even bother making such a TL.

No issue, you do enough just reading the timeline.

Part 2; 1236
"They will look for his coming from the White Tower, but he will not return," - J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Book 3.

1236 - The detail of the letter was one of surprise for John III, as the Romans and Turks had kept their distance for a near-half-century--each doing as they pleased in functionality. In this time the Turks had consolidated their hold east of Anatolia; having been forced to push their settlements and peoples this way due to the repercussions at hand should their people raid the Romans in large numbers [1].

The letter was simple, and to the point, the now well-aged Arslan III requested that John III protect his youngest son, Beser, upon his death. Arslan had two sons, yet the eldest was a greedy drunkard who would bring the Seljuks to ruin. This was in contrast to his youngest, the now 19 year old Sabri, who mimicked his father in many manners. Regardless of the clear fact that Sabri was a better man than his elder brother, Beser had used his 'allowances' to pay off several members of the nobility, as it was well-known by now that Arslan III had very little time left; as he was simply getting more and more sickly.

The notion was debated for the full month of January, as letters went between John and Theodore; only broken when the news came, on the 25th, that the long-cripped Alexios Komnenos had died; leaving his son, Prefect John Komnenos, as his only surviving relative. There was a respectable pause in the momentum of the Empire for a few days, before things moved on once more.

After much deliberation the notion was agreed to, but on the major conditions that upon the ascension of Sabri as Sultan that the boy would hand over all land going up to the Paladoken mountains; and that the border between the Seljuks and Romans would rest on the Nemrut and Suphan mountains. Such a request was large, as it gave up effectively all of the Seljuk territory in Anatolia save a few minor valleys between the mountains; yet at this point Arslan III was willing to make a gamble and accept this behind closed doors by late February of 1236.

The rest of the year was rather uneventful, as the Empire and its leading men simply pushed along things; yet letters from the Ban of Vlachia, Costin, would add to things--as Costin pushed John for the same 'deal' as Cilica [2]; a Client Kingdom under the Romans that received proper protection, and was plugged into the internal economy of that flowed outwards, and towards, Constantinople. Of course, such a request was accepted, as the two states shared a wide border that needed to be kept secure between them--even as the Vlachs were still attacked from the north-east by the Cumans, who seemed to be pushing away from something major.

The situation in Bulgaria, at least internally, had deteriorated at a decent pace for the population; as the states debt and the death and destruction caused by first the Bulgarian Civil War, and then the Romans, saw much of its southern land abandoned as people flocked to the major cities to survive. Such a thing played well into the Empire's hand though; as hardy Bulgarians would join the army Theodore was reforming in larger numbers, as well as John getting an opening to resettle large amounts of Roman-Bulgars (Romagos) on the fertile black-soiled lands of southern Bulgaria; laying the groundwork for a wide-scale agricultural boom.

With what was going on in Bulgaria on full display, the Emperor would order abandoned villages demolished, their resources carted off to rebuilt more populated Bulgarian towns--which had the affect of endearing the Bulgarians to him for making use of such things to aid them, but also provided him a surprising surplus of materials. He would use these to refurbish Constantinople in a rather impressive manner [3].

The rebuilding projects of the Grypads thus far had drawn the hardpoint of the Queen of Cities to the center, away from the north or south as had been the case previously; with the Forums of Constantine and Theodosius getting more attention now that things were in full flux--with the banking and money-changing systems localized in the Forum of Constantine more abuzz than ever following the reformation of the coinage by Romanos V.

With resources in hand, John would order large work done on the underground water systems of the capital in July of 1236, drawing out more water for the largescale project he really had planned; the revival of the Baths of Zeuxippus. The Baths had been in disrepair for nearly 600 years; having been converted into other buildings such as an armoury, a prison and a silkshop in such time. John put together a largescale workcrew led by Lucian Mephantos, the Prefect of Constantinople, their first tasks being to work on the Great Palace [4], which allowed the builders to take more resources away to effectively refabricate the Baths. Dozens of new statues were commissioned, and it took the next 2 months, ending in September, to refurbish the piping systems and functionalities of the Baths, but by late November the Baths were completed, although with some obvious changes [5].

As if to add more strain to himself, John would begin releasing large-scale legislature that saw the Senate's prestige climb notably; as well as making it a function that all Astithematic leadership was demanded to appear for the Senate meetings; as they were all now officially Senators of repute due to their positions. It was a complex notion; a web of Chrysosbulls and functional semi-edicts that were dripped out, bit by bit, from July to November as the Emperor reworked the Senate to place a more public face on the leadership of the Empire; while ensuring that it remained under the thumb of the Emperor. The Senate, in truth, was still just a large club of 'powerful' men that were all collected together for the sake of it; yet now they had more prestige to wave around--which in turn put more pride in the Roman offices of power again.

The effort of coordinating this, despite the aid of Lucian, weighed heavily on John--who took time away from Imperial duties the rest of November, and most of December, spending time with his family in a manner he hadn't been able to bring himself to for years.
---
[1] The Turks within the Seljuk Sultanate have been raiding the Empire as long as the Sultanate has existed, it simply became common practice, as there remained a core of Seljuk society that did not settle and continued its old ways. This would get worse when thousands of people fled the retaken lands of Anatolia into the remaining Seljuk-held ones, refurbishing this 'class' of raiders and nomads. However, their constant raiding keeps the Eastern Army, and its commanders, sharp.

[2] The Kingdom of Cilicia ceased to be a regency 4 years ago, as the Queen Isabella took the throne firmly with the aid of Adam of Baghras (Constantine of Baberon was killed instead of Adam due to butterflies). While Antioch had attempted to worm its way into the Kingdom, the actions of its heir Phillip saw to it that Antioch's primary heir died in a dungeon; as he had stolen the Royal Crown of Armenia, sending it back to Antioch. While attempts were made to marry Isabella with Constantine's son Hethum, to unite two dynastic forces, her increased power allowed her to crush the faction pushing it--as well as Hethum. She would remain an 'unspoiled', pious, and unmarried woman the rest of her life.

[3] This is a trait of John's reign; while a capable administrator and Emperor, he has neglected Anatolia to slowly rebuilt itself--always using extra resources to improve the core territories of the Empire; especially Constantinople. Out of all the main-branched Grypad Emperor's his impact on Constantinople is likely the easiest to spot.

[4] While much of the Great Palace had been rebuilt, and was in use for the Imperial Dynasty, the Lakonoi, the Senate and the various Bureaucracies, there were still large sections in ruin. This would be changed, as in order to refurbish the Zeuxippus there would need to be replacements. Whole sections of the Great Palace would be 'disconnected', being turned into shops, a new prison and a new armoury; leaving a well-maintained core behind that would serve as the--well--Great Palace of the Empire.

[5] Orthodoxy saw the bathing, as it was done at the time it was popular, as immoral; with the risk of unholy acts. To curb this the refurbished Baths were sectioned off functionally; keeping the sexes and those of different ages well-separated to ensure there was very little to actually complain about. Although, a detachment of the Lakonoi was assigned to guard the Baths after members of the City Guard were caught 'peeking' within the women's section while on duty.

Last edited:

Eparkhos

Banned
Averious Commission.png

@Averious Here's the map.

You'll have to excuse my absence from this TL; Cyclone Eloise has been crushing my countries coastline and thus heavily interfering with my ability to have electricity. Hopefully the worst of it is over now.
--
Anything happening in the Crusader States? How will Rhomania be impacted by the Mongol invasions too?
The Crusader States are surviving better than expected due to the manpower influx following the failure of the 4th Crusade to take Constantinople. When Al-Adil, the Sultan of Egypt, attempted to crush them in response to their gains of land he would fail, but their progress has been curtailed. Functionally they're on a backfoot, as the alliance put together between Jerusalem, Antioch and Cilicia fell-through when Cilicia became a Roman Client-State. The Mongol invasions are going to start impacting the Empire in notable ways next post.
But I guess once the Turks complete their end of the deal in safeguarding the heir of their kingdom, it wouldn't matter in the end. Because the Romans would be retaking eastern Anatolia without even the need for war to resume again.
I don't think its any great secret that the deal is going to fall through because the Turks simply cannot uphold it. When the Mongols come calling and smash their entire eastern front they'll look to what they have left in Anatolia and refuse to hand it over.

Part 2; 1237
"When I saw the city of my conception I knew it at once that I would be its greatest western scion. Mayhaps I am a Catholic in public fashion; but in my heart I look to the Sophia," - Constantine I Hohenstaufen, cousin of Dragases I Grypas, and King of Ravenna [1].

1237 - With time to himself; a unique thing for John III, the Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans could think only of family--giving what little time he could muster to his now 6 year old son, Heraclius, and his beloved wife Theodora. In this time however he also got to writing to his sister; the Holy Roman Empress Sophia [2], with the two Purple-Born siblings connecting again for the first time in several years (although at the behest of their mother, Maria Komnene).

It was, by February, obvious that Sophia wanted to return to Constantinople--alongside her able children [3]. It was a time sensitive matter, as Frederick II would only allow it while he was in Ravenna doing annual administrative duties. In such a thing, John found himself obliged to indulge her; personally paying for her passage and ensuring that a 3rd of the Lakonoi guarded her on her way through the Balkans to Constantinople.

On her arrival in mid-February the 'reborn' city erupted into celebrations; the citizens rejoicing in the return of their beloved 'Princess' throughout the rest of the month. Within this stay the sights, sounds and presence of the City of the World's Desire would imprint themselves on Constantine and Maria in a rather obvious fashion [4] in later years. It would turn into a full-blown 'family reunion' as Theodore returned home as well to welcome his elder sister; with Maria Komnene coming out of her private chambers for the first time in just over a half-decade. Just as soon as she had reappeared however she disappeared, and the return of Sophia to Constantinople was just as fleeting. By the end of the month she had departed once more--and John was left alone with himself and his branch of the family once more.

Words that stuck with John though were those said by Sophia at a feast, "While the Polis [5] is marked as beautiful, outside it you'd think yourself in a backwater". Besides embarrassing her sibling as Emperor, it had lit a fire in him to press for the rebirth of the Via Ignatia [6]. The Emperor would, as was his nature, begin to micromanage what he had in sight... once more neglecting his family and personal health.

Dozens of Chrysosbulls, each of them detailing specifics on the introduction of thousands of skilled Bulgarian workers into the Imperial 'Fold'. Bulgaria had a wealth of untapped potential following its dissolution and annexation by Rome, and John III would see it put to use expanding the road network of the Balkans--as well as mapping out other potential sites for construction projects.

John effectively cut the extensive treasury in half paying 'fair' salaries to workmen to dig into the earth, lay stoneworks and so on, for the Via Ignatia--with the condition that they spend the coin at Roman merchant stations that were cropping up along the road, in order to see the gold return to the treasury down the line--which by itself was an impressive expense. This is to say nothing of the fact that a further sum, a 5th of what remained of the treasury, being spent on hundreds of skilled Bulgarian scouts to map and detail the expanses of the new Roman territories [7].

Bulgaria was a fertile land in both soil and minerals--not to speak of the manpower it added to the Empire both in the 'present' moment of 1237 and what it would contribute down the line. Hundreds of minor roads popped up as communities tried to interconnect, as major cities were built up uses the resources of their abandoned and destroyed brethren cities. As it was with Rome, all roads in the Balkans seemed to lead to Constantinople through the Via Ignatia; even if most of them were little more that crusted footpaths.

Such was the motions of Rome throughout most of the year, hitting as far in as late July, at least until it was upended by large northern ships arriving in the ports of Constantinople; bearing bright haired, and pale, Rus who demanded to see the 'Emperor of Miklagard'. Their audacity intrigued John, who allowed their leader; Vladimir Resvlok to met with him in the entrance-hall of the Great Palace.

Vladimir spoke broken Greek, in an obviously half-assed manner, yet he still presented himself with respect to John and his court at first--at least until he got a good look at the Emperor. The Rus could not help but quip, in a questioning manner, if John himself was of the 'North', as his pale skin, light brown hair and cold blue eyes, stood out--and in turn John simply referred to himself as 'Roman, and nought else'.

Vladimir was quick to note what he was there for; the Cumans were crumbling to a threat from the East, as was everyone within the Rus' radius. Vladimir noted, in striking detail, on the 'devils atop boned horses' who had crushed his homeland--and how it had sent him southward into the crumbling Cuman territories. This was the point however; Vladimir was now a Prince in his own right; having taken all of Cuman Crimea, north of the mountains that made up the border of Roman Crimea, with his personal forces and further countrymen.

The Prince requested that Rome do as it had to Vlachia and make the Principality of Krym a Roman Client State; in return for military aid and cooperation in the Crimea and beyond. It was a major thing to consider; as the Empire was already nearing its limit of functional Client States (its bureaucracy already strained by John's rather over the top management of the Empire)--however the sheer benefits outweighed the cost.

It was a long-winded affair; as the Emperor and Prince had to work out notions such as Krym providing military aid to Vlachia against Cuman raids, as well as several other functional intricacies that was turning John grayer than the management of the Empire itself was. The Rus were a proud people, not often given to submission or supplicancy to another unless it directly benefited them--and even then they held onto their pride in the face of everything else.

John was forced to indulge Vladimir and his party well-into the Christmas Celebrations, but thereafter the Prince departed with his forces on his ships and settled in to establish Roman Clientship over his domains in the Crimea.

It would not be long before the next big notion came knocking.
---
[1] Constantine I Hohenstaufen, the eldest son of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II and the Purple-Born Sophia Grypaina, would end up becoming King of Ravenna--or in effective terms King of Northern Italy. He is perhaps the most well-known 'Western Figures' within Roman literature which dates to this century; his skills and exploits becoming legendary by the time of his death in the late 13th century.

[2] Sophia had spent much of her time focused on helping to sow together a functional domain in Northern Italy for her husband; as Frederick II was forced to make travels southward and further abroad (past the Alps) on business often. Many pieces of German literature would speak in insulting tones to her as a 'Temptress Empress', a play on words. However, French sources, and Italian ones, would speak of her in a bright manner. It is notable however that the leaders of the states at the time of the writing of these 'glowing' notions; Louis IX of France and Frederick II, were both friends and family--respectively--of the Grypads.

[3] By 1232 Sophia had given birth to her fourth and final child, Conrad Hohenstaufen. In terms of functional names, from eldest to youngest; Constantine, Maria, Frederick (III), and Conrad. Of this lot only Conrad would not see Constantinople in his lifetime; with Conrad also being the only one of the four not older than Heraclius, or rather, Dragases.

[4] Constantine would, much like his father, indulge in massively reworking Ravenna. In his 26 years as King, alongside his celibate sister Maria, he would reshape Ravenna into a beacon of Christendom in the West; drawing ire from the Papacy in such endeavors. Ravenna would come to be known as the 'Second City of the Roman World' by Italian scholars who, as time went on, began to regard Rome itself as a rundown backwater. Rome's diminishing status would not be halted until the late 14th century however.

[5] Constantinople had many nicknames, but the easiest and most often said one--without flourish--was simply the 'City', or 'Polis'. It implied that nothing else, in comparison to the Queen of Cities, was a city worth the title.

[6] The Via Ignatia was once the most important road in the Roman Empire; following the decline of the West, functioning as the nexus of trade and transport between the West and East, as well as a movement 'tile' within the East. It fell into disrepair after the invasion and loss of the Middle-East and Egypt to the Islamic Invasion, however it would continue to be in use well-past that; the trudging of traders, armies and what-have-you-else keeping it active.

[7] Roman knowledge of the wider Balkans waxed and waned over the centuries, depending on how much territory was held. It never, however, reached the level it had prior to the Bulgarian invasion and settlement of the Balkans.

So the Rus have willingly submitted. Are TTL's Mongols even more OP than OTL?
This is only one Rus Prince who took territory in the Crimea for himself. The actual wider Rus community hasn't submitted to the Romans at all; that would be way too nonsensical.

This is only one Rus Prince who took territory in the Crimea for himself. The actual wider Rus community hasn't submitted to the Romans at all; that would be way too nonsensical.
I know but some Rus have submitted, and it isn't like Crimea is too difficult to defend really, even against the Mongols, which is why I thought the Mongols would be stronger.

I know but some Rus have submitted, and it isn't like Crimea is too difficult to defend really, even against the Mongols, which is why I thought the Mongols would be stronger.
They're not really supplicating themselves to the Romans to defend against the Mongols; Vladimir simply explained why he decided to move shop and steal land from the Cumans. They're supplicating because they need someone to play 'big brother' while they set up shop and dig in their roots; they don't want the Cumans, or even possibly the Mongols down the line (reputation/dread is a big factor here) kicking them out of their new 'home'.

They're not really supplicating themselves to the Romans to defend against the Mongols; Vladimir simply explained why he decided to move shop and steal land from the Cumans. They're supplicating because they need someone to play 'big brother' while they set up shop and dig in their roots; they don't want the Cumans, or even possibly the Mongols down the line (reputation/dread is a big factor here) kicking them out of their new 'home'.
Ok then. Btw great update, it seems like the 1240s will be a rocky decade for Rome.

You'll have to excuse my absence from this TL; Cyclone Eloise has been crushing my countries coastline and thus heavily interfering with my ability to have electricity. Hopefully the worst of it is over now.
--

The Crusader States are surviving better than expected due to the manpower influx following the failure of the 4th Crusade to take Constantinople. When Al-Adil, the Sultan of Egypt, attempted to crush them in response to their gains of land he would fail, but their progress has been curtailed. Functionally they're on a backfoot, as the alliance put together between Jerusalem, Antioch and Cilicia fell-through when Cilicia became a Roman Client-State. The Mongol invasions are going to start impacting the Empire in notable ways next post.

I don't think its any great secret that the deal is going to fall through because the Turks simply cannot uphold it. When the Mongols come calling and smash their entire eastern front they'll look to what they have left in Anatolia and refuse to hand it over.
Looks like a reason for the Romans to wipe them out for good. They were guaranteed in keeping the boy safe and thats how they repaid them?

Sorry to hear about your country's troubles with that cyclone and, hopefully, it's over now...

Good update, BTW...

Looks like a reason for the Romans to wipe them out for good. They were guaranteed in keeping the boy safe and thats how they repaid them?
You can't really fault the Turks at the time though; as when the due comes calling the Turks simply cannot give away what little territory they have left. But, life is not fair, and needless to say; Dragases will be grinding the Seljuks to dust.
Sorry to hear about your country's troubles with that cyclone and, hopefully, it's over now...

Good update, BTW...
C'est la vie, but danke.