The Eagle Down Under (1983: Doomsday TL 2016-2030)

Who do you think will win nomination of ANZC Labour Party in the 2019 Federal Election?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
“The today marks the Second Round for the 2022 Australian Federal Election.”

“Already since last time during the First Round, Wong has been in the lead so far. While Haliday is currently in 2nd place.”

“However it is possible that Haliday might make a surprise win, we will have to wait and see by the end of today.”

-SBS News 24/7, May 20th, 2022

“I hope that all Australians today are prepared for what comes next, whatever that may be in the future.”

“Because this very election is unlike any we have seen before. In this election, the people of Australia will get to decide who will lead them forward.”

“As for me, it is my greatest apology that I cannot continue to lead you. My health has been getting worse unfortunately and I don’t think I will be fit to continue my position as Prime Minister of Australia.”

“If my health wasn’t as bad, I reckon I would continue serving you all as your leader. But sadly that is not what nature has in mind, as nature has caught up with me.”

“Now I know all Australians are currently wondering still, as to what is wrong with my very health. And frankly I have kept too quiet about it far too long.”

“However today I will no longer keep quiet about my health. As all Australians deserve to know.”

“I Julia Gillard, was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer on January 25th, 2022. At the time I was alarmed how I was not able to tell I had breast cancer and that I had shrugged it off until it got worse.”

“Along with the fact that I realized I couldn’t continue to serve as Prime Minister of Australia.”

“So now every single citizen of Australia knows about my health problem.”

“Now as for me, I am not sure whether I will survive this cancer or whether I will not on this Earth in five years. I am not sure, as my doctors are still determining what is going on.”

“But I assure you all Australians, that from this day forth you will never be let down. As I will be the one to pass the torch to the next elected Prime Minister of Australia. I have high confidence in my successor whoever it may be, that they will lead Australia into an brighter future.”

“As for me.”

“I want to thank every person in Australia for letting me be your Prime Minister after all these years. It only feels like yesterday when I was elected as your leader back in 2010.”

“I have seen so much during my time as Prime Minister of Australia, with you all at my side. We went through many changes within the last 12 years.”

“To think that a person who once served as Minister for Education, would end up becoming the second longest serving Prime Minister in Australia’s history is without a doubt mind boggling, even to myself.”

“But of course I knew one day I could no longer be your leader, I knew it from the first day I served as your elected Prime Minister.”

“And with that being said, I once again have confidence that my successor whoever they may be will bring more greatness to Australia.”

“Thank you Australians for letting me be your Prime Minister, it has been truly a great honor serving for you.”

-Prime Minister Julia Gillard’s public televised speech, ABC News 24/7, May 20th, 2022

governor-general of the ANZC.
The Governor-General is an apolitical position, it's likely that the prime minister would be the head of government. The Australian states, NZ, PNG, Solomon Islands all have a similar structure. The most senior surviving member of the royal family would legally become King or Queen of all 4 nations and some others in the pacific. This might smooth the path to political unity.

“The results are in finally after a long day.”

“The results are as follows…”

“Elysse Hailday has gotten at least 3.1 million in popular votes.”

“Penny Wong has gotten a least 4 million in popular votes.”

“Although popular votes is what now determines who becomes the next elected prime minister, we need to remind people once again that this process of counting will take a month or two until we can fully determine who becomes the new prime minister.”

-SBS News Live 24/7, May 20th, 2022

“It’s safe to say Wong won seeing she got the most popular votes.”

-Karl Stefanovic, host of ABC News, May 20th, 2022

“I’m calling it now and I can say it with pure confidence.”

“Wong won she gonna be our next PM.”

-A Queenslander TypeIt poster, May 20th, 2022

“I find it the most interesting how Australia has decided to do it’s national elections based off how the French used to, by having a first and second round.”

“Though my main question is how come you guys decided to still keep the title “prime minister” instead of using “president”.”

-TypeIt poster from New Caledonia, May 20th, 2022

“Were just honestly too used to using the title of Prime Minister, it just wouldn’t seem the same if we decided to rename it to President.”

-TypeIt poster from New South Wales, May 20th, 2022

Wong wins the election, but can she keep the Left Coalition together like her precursor?

-The Australian, May 21st, 2022

Wong appoints Paul Erickson as Minister of Infrastructure and Transport.

-The Brisbane Times, May 21st, 2022

Wendy Streets appointed as Minister of Finance and Deregulation.

-The Courier-Mail, May 21st, 2022

Amanda Rishworth appointed Minister for Health and Medical Research

-The Newcastle Herald, May 21st, 2022

Cassy O’Connor appointed as Minister for Environment, Heritage and Water.

-The Mercury, May 21st, 2022

Wong selects Senator Shane Broad as the new Minister for Agriculture due to his background in agricultural science.

-The Courier-Mail, May 22nd, 2022

Senator Guy Zangari appointed as Minister for Education.

-The Newcastle Herald, May 22nd, 2022

Mick de Brenni appointed as Minister for Energy and Resources.

-Australian News Online, May 23rd, 2022

Meng Heang Tak appointed by Wong as Minister for Justice.

-The West Australian, May 23rd, 2022

Justine Elliot given position as Minister for Families and Social Services.

-The New Daily, May 24th, 2022

Louis sat at his desk as he was doing his usual work on his desktop computer, usual work being tracing any activity and any whereabouts of the Hamas Caliphate and of course Bin Laden. With anything he did come across on the Net, he would write down in a notebook or type up on a word document, usually being that of the application of Verbox[1] which usually came installed on all computers especially the one he was using being a Centauri[2] Theta[3]. Anything he finished typing up he would print out on a printer in his office or he would save onto a datastick[4] where he would either go home and finish it up, or continue it the following day at his job.

Being Director of the CIB was not a easy job, he has had many countless nights with either a two or three hours of sleep or no sleep at all. But regardless despite his disability rendering him in a wheelchair, Louis was nonetheless determined to do everything he can to ensure the safety of the people of the Commonwealth, SAC, and the rest of the world.

Louis then sat back in his wheelchair as he stretched for a bit and gazed his eyes at the national flag of Australia across the room. The “new” colorful national flag that had golden yellow, grassy green, milky white, Aussie blue, and the iconic Southern Cross constellation on it.

A lot has changed in the past six years… Has it been already six years?

I’ve lost count.

He thought to himself.

I find it somewhat incredible to imagine how Australia started out as a country that went by racist immigration policies, to becoming a world power, and seeing itself elect a prime minister who is of East Asian descent but also is a married lesbian.

Louis realized that his home country has indeed come a long way since its inception in the year of 1901, being a century ago. Although Australia has done many things that were flawed and unforgivable such as the White Australia Policy and the Stolen Generations, at the very least Australia learned and became a better nation for the most part.

A lot has indeed changed even within his own lifetime. And surely his own mother’s lifetime as well.

And a lot will change in the coming future. Louis Howery-Morrell could only wish the best for Australia and that it will continue to change for the better.

Of course he knew that Australia could never be perfect, he knew that perfect was never achievable as he always says “perfect is boring”. But that’s fine, as long as Australia is able to continue being a “promised land” then that’s what mattered the most.

Though Louis was of course nervous for whatever the future had in store for Australia. As he acknowledged the fact that nobody can accurately predict the future, but he was aware of the sad possibility of Brazil and the rest of the SAC either going their separate way or becoming rivals to the Commonwealth once again.

Rivalry can only do more harm than good, as to Howery-Morrell it only causes more division instead of cooperation. Cooperation was very important in this world now even decades after Doomsday, and still the world has not come close to full recovery from Doomsday.

Then again Louis saw it simply as how trauma effects someone mentally. You can certainly survive a traumatic experience like seeing the very person you love killed. But you will never completely recover from such a traumatic experience like that, or any traumatic experience in general.

You just learn to cope with it for the rest of your life.

And that’s okay.

Because if anyone could recover from any traumatic experience, they most certainly wouldn’t learn from it and end up damning themselves into doing the same mistake again.

The world and the human race as whole surely will never completely recover from Doomsday. Things will get better for sure, but not completely. But if there one thing Louis knows when it comes to humanity is that humanity will learn to cope with such experiences.

Humanity will cope.

And coping will certainly make the world a better place.

And furthermore Louis Howery-Morrell knew that every man, woman, and child right now on Earth were together in this.

We are all coping together as a family.

-Director Louis R. Howery-Morrell’s office, CIB Headquarters, ANZC Capital Territory (Jarvis Bay), May 24th, 2022

Notes

[1]
- Verbox is a word document application that is similar to how Google Docs and Microsoft Word works in OTL. It is programmed to correct spelling errors, grammar errors, has a wide dictionary of words in a total of 90 languages.
[2] - Centauri Corporation is a corporation based in Auckland, and was established around 2001 by surviving officials from Apple, IBM, and Microsoft. It is currently one of the major companies in the computer industry in the ANZC and currently has begun expanding its market in East Asia, Europe, and North America.
[3] - Theta is a desktop computer that also comes installed with the Tahiti OS[5] (although a person can feel free to install another operating system on a Centauri Theta). At first glance by itself it looks like a light modem you can easily carry around. Well that’s the point of the design of the Centauri Theta, is that basically it is an all-in-one PC, all you need to do is hook it up to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse (basically all Centauri Thetas come with a wireless keyboard and mouse), making it pretty much easy to use and bring anywhere. Centauri Theta was created in May 2019 and released to public in February 2020 as an alternative for suitcase computers (aka laptops).
[4] - The word “datastick” is what people in EDU call “flash drives” by simply put. They pretty much resemble like any basic ordinary USB flash drive you see in OTL, and USB slots are still the same like in OTL.
[5] - Centauri Corporation is commonly known for naming its operating systems after geographic locations on Earth. The first operating system it made was Volta OS (named after the river in Africa) which lifespan was from 2001-2015, followed by Formosa OS (2005-2018), Oahu OS (2011-current), and Tahiti OS (2018-current).

Last edited:
Very nice. I formally grant you the Domain-of-the-Afrikaner-Wewestandsbeweging Award.
2021_11_24_0re_Kleki.png

The Minnesota Territory has been disbanded and has become the State of Minnesota, making it become the 15th state of the “New” United States.

-NBBC World News, May 26th, 2022

Paul Marquart is declared the first state governor of Minnesota, with the state capital being Moorehead.

-NCBS News 24/7, May 26th, 2022

Wong announces that Australia will help Mozambique in it’s fundamentalist troubles by supplying them Australian weapons and helicopters.

-ABC World News 24/7, May 30th, 2022

New Britain announces it will get itself involved in what is now being called the “Mozambique Troubles”.

-The Newcastle Herald, June 2nd, 2022

Car bomb kills 12 people in Lima. Peruvian authorities believe the New Shining Path to be behind the attack.

-ABC World News 24/7, June 2nd, 2022

Qatar begins conducting nationwide purges on those who are sympathetic to Hamas Caliphate or have very extremist beliefs of Islam. Already 16 people have been arrested by Qatari police.

-The Courier Mail, June 5th, 2022

The nation of Malawi announces it will send soldiers to Mozambique to help defeat radical Islamic fundamentalists.

-NBBC World News 24/7, June 5th, 2022

Christian Patriots are beginning to see a lot of losses in Lewis County. Cracks are showing as IC (International Coalition) troops are constantly bombarding them from air.

-Manchester Union-Leader (Vermont newspaper), June 7th, 2022

There is now rumors online that civilians in Christian Patriot territory are now revolting.

-NCBS News 24/7, June 9th, 2022

Satellite photos reveal smoke coming from the small towns of Stonecoal. It is believed there is a violent uprising underway.

-ABC World News 24/7, June 12th, 2022

More satellite photos are revealing smoke from two other towns being Sissonville and Dorothy. It seems that the Christian Patriots are beginning to show signs of weakness as their own civilians are getting fed up with them.

-Torrington Daily Bulletin, June 14th, 2022

There is now reports of a horrific explosion has occurred in the town of Dorothy, we have no idea what happened in that Christian Patriot town.

-NCBS News 24/7, June 18th, 2022

The Christian Patriots were starting to show cracks in the wall so to speak by June 2022, as many civilians were starving or getting sick from common illnesses that would be curable if the Christian Patriots would actually use medical supplies instead of praying to get back to good health. The International Coalition was showing now better results in the war, as more troops especially from European nations were starting to come across the Atlantic Ocean to partake in the crusade to end the madness of the fundamentalist monster that was plaguing havoc in former Virginian Republic.

By the time of June 2022, any of the handful aircraft that the Christian Patriots had in their possession (most of which were stolen from former Virginian Republic) were either destroyed by the IC forces or were out of fuel. When it came to fuel, it was becoming more and more of a issue for the Christian Patriots, that it was ultimately decided that fuel would only be reserved for vehicles they would use for military use (usually vans, trucks, or jeeps). Some higher ups in their “holy army” suggested using alternative fuel such as steam or wood, but most were ignored by Robert Marley due to having his head up his ass. Not to mention with the fact the IC had more successes against them in the war, also meant that any different alternatives for fuel would be too long and that simply put the Christian Patriots were not only limited with what they had, but also limited with the time they had at this point.

And with the fact that Robert Marley was growing more and more furious, he was showing signs of mental instability as well. In one such incident would be on the night of May 29th, 2022 in which one of his advisors informed him how the IC were now having a “upper hand” against them. Resulting in Marley in a fit of rage grabbing a vase and beating his advisor to death with it. It was at this point many of his most loyal men were now paranoid by Marley seeing that due to his mental instability, meant he could kill any of them at any point for the slightest mistakes.

Furthermore Marley began ordering more of his “holy soldiers” to commit “Jericho”, using the story from the Old Testament in which Joshua would take over the city of Jericho and kill all the inhabitants including the children. When commanders asked Marley to specify what he meant, Marley would clarify it by stating “Go forth and commit Jericho upon the earth, leave no sign of life behind”, which in context resulted in the Christian Patriots committing more acts of environmental terrorism and scorched earth tactics by launching deadly chemicals in local forests and fields in order to prevent the IC forces from pushing further into former West Virginia.

These scorched earth tactics would ultimately kill more civilians as many were caught up in the midst of it all, as soldiers began to use all the chemicals they could find in their possessions to use on the local environment. Most chemicals that were used were atrazine, natural juglone, cyanazine, cacodylic acid, disodium methyl arsonate, and even radium from smoke detectors which would be deliberately tossed into streams and lakes and ponds. They were even many confirmed reports of Christian Patriots using lead paint as a form of chemical weapons, as many would paint their guns and vehicles with it to allow IC soldiers to come under serious sickness upon contact.

As more and more civilians began to drop dead from this, many civilians were starting to get very fed up with the Christian Patriots. Although some were loyal to the end due to being brainwashed with Christian extremist views, many would end up realizing how illogical the enter situation was. Mostly due to being constantly told that constant suffering brought them closer to God and that death brought them peace as they would be up in Heaven with Christ. This constant thing being told led to many civilians having enough and realizing that death does not bring peace and that suffering does not bring one closer to God, if anything many people started to believe that suffering does the pure exact opposite.

This would lead to many small uprisings in towns like Stonecoal, Sissonville and Dorothy, as many civilians end up going violent against Christian Patriot soldiers and officials, which often led to some soldiers even deserting and joining the civilians as well. When word of this got to Marley, he would order that any towns that are showing any sign of rebellion meant they were going against God as rebellion in any form was a deadly unforgivable sin. This would lead to the town of Dorothy having its entire population slaughtered by the 5th Holy Battalion, and the town of Sissonville would however be a tough thing to slaughter as by late June the entire population was armed.

The Slaughter of Dorothy as it became know would become a breaking point for many people under rule of the Christian Patriots, and would ultimately lead to even more violent uprisings the likes of which the Christian Patriots would never had seen before.

-Chapter 27, “Hell on Earth, Life in the Christian Patriot Land”, published in July 11th, 2035

It's good to see another post from you after such a long time. Looks like the Christian Patriots are finally starting to see the true meaning of "you reap what you sow".

Last edited:
In a recent video made by Cody on AlternateHistoryHub, he did a iceberg video on alternate histories (an iceberg I made here), and in this video when he covered 1983 Doomsday, he actually showed my timeline briefly. I felt like I might as well mention it here since after all this is Cody, a really famous guy on YouTube known for covering alternate history stuff. Plus furthermore I been subscribed to that guy since 2013, since I was a freshman in high school, so it really makes it the most amazing to me how somehow he took recognition of my iceberg.

Hamas official Jalaluddin al-Tunisi has been reportedly killed by a Brazilian drone.

-ABC World News 24/7, June 17th, 2022

Jalaluddin al-Tunisi has been confirmed dead by New Zealander soldiers in Al Hafayer.

-NBBC World News 24/7, June 17th, 2022

Who was al-Tunisi and why was his death so important?

-The Age, June 17th, 2022

al-Tunisi confirmed to have formerly Egyptian citizenship before moving to Saudi Arabia in 2004.

-The Newcastle Herald, June 18th, 2022

Roe v. Wade is still a federal law after Congress votes on it in which majority votes to keep it in place on a federal level across the United States.

-NCBS News 24/7, June 19th, 2022

Not even Doomsday can kill Roe v. Wade.

-The Torrington Post, June 19th, 2022

Siberian soldiers successfully arrest Hamas official Yunis Hunnar.

-Vremya (Siberian Central Television), June 21st, 2022

Hunnar to be brought in for questioning by ANZC military officials.

-SBS News 24/7, June 21st, 2022

PM Wong thanks Siberia for cooperation in capturing Hunnar.

-ABC News 24/7, June 22nd, 2022

Hunnar confirms Bin Laden’s last sighting was in Ash Shalfa being two months ago back in April.

-ABC News 24/7, June 22nd, 2022

“Let’s not get too ahead of ourselves. Osama isn’t a dumb man, he absolutely knows we are going after him. So even if he was last seen by Hunnar in April, he surely by now has fled elsewhere.”

-Director of CIB, Louis Richard Howery-Morrell, June 23rd, 2022

Major update.

I am going to retcon a few of the following things in this TL.

1. Kyoto getting dirty bombed by the Hamas Caliphate (will be changed to instead being a bombing by a car bomb, instead a damn dirty bomb)
2. Republic of Sicily is not longer fascist, it will be a democracy in accordance to that of what is now canon for Sicily on the 1983 Doomsday Wiki. (Albania will however still be fascist, for now until the ADC crushes them)
3. Russian Confederacy collapsing is voided. It still exists, in fact when I began the TL I had no idea why I even wanted the Russian Confederacy to collapse.
4. Duchy of Orleans no longer exists, it is not canon to 1983 Doomsday anymore.
5. Hamas nuking the the Great Barrier Reef, yeah that is voided too since that makes no damn sense (Recife and Natal were still nuked by the Hamas Caliphate however, that is still canon)
6. Santiago is no longer dirty bombed, but faces a horrific terrorist attack that still kills at least 351 people.
7. ANZC is not a unified giant country, while in some aspects it is a single entity, in others it is more of an alliance of nations like that of European Union. Where the ANZC has not been granted specific authority over a member or associate nation's affairs, that nation is responsible for governing itself. This means when it comes to elections the Governor-General is still elected yes, but it isn't a huge election like what we would see during the US Presidential Election.

Anyways just something I needed to say here and now. Also I will update this TL, whenever I have any idea on what the next update should be. Until then, please be patient.

Major update.

I am going to retcon a few of the following things in this TL.

1. Kyoto getting dirty bombed by the Hamas Caliphate (will be changed to instead being a bombing by a car bomb, instead a damn dirty bomb)
2. Republic of Sicily is not longer fascist, it will be a democracy in accordance to that of what is now canon for Sicily on the 1983 Doomsday Wiki. (Albania will however still be fascist, for now until the ADC crushes them)
3. Russian Confederacy collapsing is voided. It still exists, in fact when I began the TL I had no idea why I even wanted the Russian Confederacy to collapse.
4. Duchy of Orleans no longer exists, it is not canon to 1983 Doomsday anymore.
5. Hamas nuking the the Great Barrier Reef, yeah that is voided too since that makes no damn sense (Recife and Natal were still nuked by the Hamas Caliphate however, that is still canon)
6. Santiago is no longer dirty bombed, but faces a horrific terrorist attack that still kills at least 351 people.
7. ANZC is not a unified giant country, while in some aspects it is a single entity, in others it is more of an alliance of nations like that of European Union. Where the ANZC has not been granted specific authority over a member or associate nation's affairs, that nation is responsible for governing itself. This means when it comes to elections the Governor-General is still elected yes, but it isn't a huge election like what we would see during the US Presidential Election.

Anyways just something I needed to say here and now. Also I will update this TL, whenever I have any idea on what the next update should be. Until then, please be patient.

These changes are particularly good. I like that, even though I was okay with the original scenes at first.

I hope you have a great day and I will continue to support and look forward to what you'll come up with for this TL in the future.

Unfortunately, it is still an confederation type of government, not an pure alliance anymore.

One of the examples of that kind is the Pacific Federation from Project Wingman.

what happens to space exploration in this timeline
Forgive me for the very year late reply.

Space exploration is pretty much going to happen at some point either by 2024 or 2025. But it will mostly Siberia sending a probe to Venus again or maybe Mars (haven't decided yet). As for Brazil and ANZC it most likely going to be them sending rovers on the Moon.

Of course Siberians have plans to create a space station and send people up into space again. And ANZC and South American nations have agreed to have future cooperation in spaceflights.

However sadly still not a single human being has been up in space since 1983. So five entire decades.

Five decades have passed and not a single person has gone up into space yet.

I mean Doomsday is 100% to blame for this, I mean a lot of our knowledge we have of our Solar System in OTL is way behind in TL.

Being the following...

Mars

Certainly a lot of things on Mars is still vastly unknown, but at the very least people have a way better understanding of what Mars looks like prior to Doomsday. So everyone knows Mars is a red desert world with ice caps and extinct volcanos like the famous Olympus Mons.

Although of course despite Doomsday, people still nonetheless dream that sometime in the future humans will land on Mars and establish colonies. Colonization of Mars as well as Terraforming Mars is still a popular thing often seen in Post-Doomsday science fiction.

Ceres

The largest asteroid is still much of a guess to what it looks like in TL. Due to humans never getting a chance to create a space telescope like Hubble in OTL, this means only images that people of Post-Doomsday have for Ceres is photographs taken by ground observatories. Which means these photographs still have Ceres seen as a bright object in the sky (when zoomed in of course by ground-based telescopes). It is much speculation among scientists on what Ceres looks like up close, but they all agree and know that Ceres is round and almost spherical due to calculations measured Pre-Doomsday.

Of course there is a proposal made by the Siberians to build and send a probe to flyby Ceres, however the odds of it being funded are low. However this has not stopped the Siberians from being curious about the Asteroid Belt.

Vesta

Same case like with Ceres, nobody has a clue what it looks like up close. It is pretty much speculation.

Other notable asteroids

Asteroids such as 951 Gaspra, 243 Ida, 253 Mathilde, 433 Eros, 4015 Wilson-Harrington, 9969 Braille, 5535 Annefrank, 25143 Itokawa, 21 Lutetia, 2867 Šteins, 4179 Toutatis, 162173 Ryugu, 101955 Bennu, and 65803 Didymos are never even seen up close, seeing due to Doomsday holding back so much advancement in astronomy and space exploration, has resulted in asteroids being photographed close up during a flyby. Although of course many science fiction authors and astronomers dream of one day making a probe to explore the Asteroid Belt or Near-Earth asteroids, it is still much of a pipe dream for the time being.

However despite people in Post-Doomsday never being able to see actual images of asteroids up close yet, most people pretty much know that asteroids are mainly large floating rocks in space with many craters. Furthermore asteroids pretty much are still able to calculate the orbits of asteroids especially Near-Earth asteroids, due to better ground-based observatories in the Southern Hemisphere.

Jupiter

Even though everyone knows that Jupiter is a gas giant and has storms, one thing greatly missing is that people of Post-Doomsday still do not know that the southern pole of Jupiter is a bluish color with multiple ring of storms, seeing that Pioneer 10 and 11 and Voyager 1 never observed the southern pole of the planet. I would believe that in TL 2022, if someone were to say that "Jupiter is a bit bluish in its poles" you probably be stared at and people would think that is bogus.

However other than that, everyone is aware how the Great Red Spot functions, how storms work on Jupiter, and the fact that Jupiter has layers of clouds to which leads down to a ocean of liquid gel material made of liquid hydrogen. Then further down would lead you to the core which Post-Doomsday scientists believe is made out of metallic hydrogen as this was already the common believed theory prior to Doomsday.

Jupiter's moons

Overall only 8 moons in total will have pictures of them taken up close by Voyager 1 back in 1979 (being Metis, Adrastea, Amalthea, Thebe, Io, Europe, Callisto and Ganymede). Everyone knows that Io is a volcanically active moon due to observations take by Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11 and Voyager 1. Everyone knows that Europa is a icy moon with cracks and ravines, to which everyone believes that underneath Europa's icy surface lies an hidden ocean which many believe might have life similar to that of what life must resemble on the Earth's ocean floor. Callisto is known to be a speckled moon with many craters, and everyone knows Ganymede is the largest moon in the Solar System.

Other than that, those are the only 8 moons that have images of them from Pre-Doomsday. By now in TL 2022, more moons obviously been discovered and named after various women who Zeus had affairs with in Greek mythology, but these moons only have images of them taken by ground-based telescopes on Earth.

Saturn

Much of Saturn is still unknown, despite having been seen up close by the past missions of Pioneer 10, Pioneer 11 and Voyager 1. However due to Cassini being butterflied away, only little is known about how storms work on Saturn, furthermore the Great Hexagonal Storm located at Saturn's North Pole is completely unknown to Post-Doomsday people, as nobody as seen it yet.

Saturn's shepherd moons

Only shepherd moons having good detailed images of them from Pre-Doomsday are Prometheus, Atlas, Pandora, Epimetheus, and Janus. However the existence of moons such as Aegaeon, Pan, and Daphne are still unknown (however scientists do believe they must exist due to the gaps in Saturn's rings, which indicates presence of shepherd moons).

Saturn's major moons (excluding Titan as it has a separate entry)

Mimas, Enceladus, Tethys, Dione, Rhea, Hyperion, Iapetus, and Phoebe are lucky to have photographs of them up close taken by past missions prior to Doomsday. But even then without Cassini existing, this means due to lack of further close observations means that much of them are still widely unknown especially in areas of moons that haven't been imaged by Pioneer 10, Pioneer 11, or Voyager 1.

Mimas is still widely notable in Post-Doomsday for being similar to the Death Star from Star Wars, so even decades after Doomsday people will often refer to Mimas as the "Death Star" due to its similar resemblance.

Enceladus is acknowledged to be an icy moon similar to Europa, with people also believing it has a subsurface ocean with likely life. But difference is little is still known about its geothermal activity as Cassini studied in OTL.

Titan

The most famous moon of Saturn, Titan is still widely unknown for the most part seeing that nobody has a clue what its surface looks like due to its thick hazy orange atmosphere. So in other words nobody is aware that lakes of liquid methane exist on Titan, but some scientists do believe that lakes could "exist" but it is pretty much mass guessing.

Everyone does however know that Titan is unique since it is the only moon in the Solar System to have an atmosphere, and the reason it is orange is due to large amounts of methane.

Saturn's minor moons

The minor moons are for the most part still widely speculated just like in OTL, seeing much of them have been discovered by ground-based observatories. However the only notable exceptions would be Pallene, Telesto, Methone, Anthe, Calypso, Helene, and Polydeuces as in OTL, Cassini was able to get better close up images of them. But due to Cassini never existing in TL (thanks stupid annoying nuclear war), nobody will know what they even look like.

Caelus (Formerly Uranus until IAU renamed it to Caelus back in 2020 in TL)

Although Voyager 2's goal was to explore and observe the planet in the late 1980s, this never happens as Doomsday fucked everything up. With no contact from NASA (since much of it was destroyed by World War III), it means Voyager 2 either drifted out into space or crashed into Saturn or Uranus (now called Caelus). This means nobody knows what Caelus looks like up close, nobody knows that Caelus's axis is tilted 98 degrees, nobody knows it has rings either.

Furthermore the major moons Miranda, Ariel, Umbriel, Oberon, and Titania are still unexplored. Due to Voyager 2 never getting a chance to do its mission, means that people will never know what these moons even look like for decades. If possible people might finally get fucking images of these moons by maybe the 2040s or 2050s by latest. But sorry for those who are Gen Z or Gen X or Millennials living in this TL, you either will be middle age or old by the time you get to see photos of these moons.

But just like OTL, moons still go by names of characters from various works written by Shakespeare. So that hasn't changed.

But just because Voyager 2 never got to show people what Caelus looks like, doesn't mean all hope is lost. Ground-based observatories will certainly be able to give us an almost "close" image of Caelus to a point that people can at least see what it looks like in color like in this image taken by a ground-based telescope.

Neptune

Just like with Caelus (formerly Uranus), due to Doomsday ruining Voyager 2's goals means nobody has much of an idea of what Neptune looks like up close. People of TL 2022 pretty much do not know Neptune has occasional storms and cirrus clouds, and also are not aware that Neptune has a ring (seeing it is very faint that it essentially is almost impossible to detect by ground-based telescopes). The closest image a person might see in a school textbook in Post-Doomsday would be probably this image of Neptune (and it's moon Triton).

Furthermore people will have ultimately no idea what Triton looks like either, except that it is certainly a very cold world due to it being far away from the Sun. So sadly nobody realizes that Triton has geysers.

Pluto

Perhaps the greatest unforgivable thing that Doomsday can't ever be forgiven for is the fact New Horizons mission is ultimately butterflied away as well. This in turn means that a mission to Pluto is pretty much on hiatus for a very long time. So as such nobody knows what Pluto or its moons look like. Furthermore without Hubble Space Telescope, this also means that people in TL aren't aware of the fact Pluto has more moons than just Charon, seeing that ground-based observatories don't have the means yet to detect them.

So if a image of Pluto up close ever does happen it probably going to be in the mid or late 21st century, so by the time most Gen Z people will be old.

Pygmy Planets (aka Dwarf planets)

Despite Doomsday setting much of astronomy back, the reclassification of Pluto still occurs regardless but instead in 2008. So yes with prior knowledge of Pluto before Doomsday for being an oddity and the eventual discovery of other objects beyond Pluto in the 1990s and 2000s, still results in the reclassification happening.

Also Kuiper Belt is instead called the Tombaugh Belt. As in TL people see that Tombaugh was the man who actually discovered the OTL Kuiper Belt being the object Pluto within it.

However sadly still not a single human being has been up in space since 1983. So five entire decades.

Five decades have passed and not a single person has gone up into space yet.
The last humans in space were those of Salyut 7.

In relation to other things that have not been found, the wreck of the Titanic hasn't been found (IOTL 1985) along with IJN Musashi (2015), the USS Lexington (2018), and the USS Samuel Roberts (2022). No one would be looking for shipwrecks.

Last edited: