the Eagle and the Crescent: A Different Collapse of Rome

1680546846927.png

Someone asked months ago about languages, I think we are far enough in the timeline for proper languages to be definable. Starred are languages with no 1:1 connection to an OTL language that exists today or had a written form at some point.

View attachment 822793
Someone asked months ago about languages, I think we are far enough in the timeline for proper languages to be definable. Starred are languages with no 1:1 connection to an OTL language that exists today or had a written form at some point.
Would there be an independent Ucrania - as Slavic Nation in OTL East Germany, of course?)

Would there be an independent Ucrania - as Slavic Nation in OTL East Germany, of course?)
Nope they will be part of Germany and they will unfortunately will see the fate of the Bretons and Occitans in France; A small amount spoken and the locals keeping the demonym for touristic/heritage purposes, but speaking Deitsch.

That is an excellent map. Thank you so much, @Lothal.
A few questions, though:
  • What is that language spoken in Cornwall? It's a distinct color from Britanese, but I couldn't find it in the index.
  • Is Bretonian the language in Northwestern Iberia between Galician and Leonese? If so, it's cool to see a Celtic language spoken in Iberia.
  • Is that a Turkic Hungary and Magyar Anatolia I see? That's an interesting role reversal.
  • How similar is the Anglic/Englisch spoken in Schleswig-Holstein ITTL to OTL's English?

That is an excellent map. Thank you so much, @Lothal.
A few questions, though:
  • What is that language spoken in Cornwall? It's a distinct color from Britanese, but I couldn't find it in the index.
  • Is Bretonian the language in Northwestern Iberia between Galician and Leonese? If so, it's cool to see a Celtic language spoken in Iberia.
  • Is that a Turkic Hungary and Magyar Anatolia I see? That's an interesting role reversal.
  • How similar is the Anglic/Englisch spoken in Schleswig-Holstein ITTL to OTL's English?
1. I clicked the wrong color, its the red which is ITL Cornish
2. Bretonian is the language spoken between Galician and Leonese. OTL some Britons settled in eastern Galicia after the Anglo Saxon migrations.
3. Well established in the TL but yes
4. Akin but with a different orthography based on the Dutch system and without all the French pollution

The outlines on the letters.
Download Gaussian Blur +, its a paint.net mod. Put the text in a separate layer. Afterwards go to effects and click said function and click off all the colors besides Alpha and set radius to 0. Ctrl click on all the stuff added by the blur with the paint tool with black and you will get a quick and easy black outline for the text.

Greek looks like it's not doing too well. Is there a chance that it'll go extinct as a natively spoken language in the future? Speaking of Greek, what are the languages spoken in Sicily? I see Greek and Sicilian but I can't make out the other two.

Last edited:
This timeline continues to impress! I love the strange minor languages that have cropped up, like the Ultramarine Romance-speakers in the Levant and Berber-speakers in Spain. I'm curious why they use the Hebrew script and whether it has anything to do with their religion. Also, what's the light green language in Burgenland east of the Uzians?

Greek looks like it's not doing too well. Is there a chance that it'll go extinct as a natively spoken language in the future? Speaking of Greek, what are the languages spoken in Sicily? I see Greek and Sicilian but I can't make out the other two.
Luckily for Greek, like OTL just because you dont speak Greek doesnt mean you can't identify as Greek. Sicily is the ultimate cosmopolis ITL, split between Greeks, Sicilians, Arabs, and Varengians roughly evenly.
This timeline continues to impress! I love the strange minor languages that have cropped up, like the Ultramarine Romance-speakers in the Levant and Berber-speakers in Spain. I'm curious why they use the Hebrew script and whether it has anything to do with their religion. Also, what's the light green language in Burgenland east of the Uzians?
The Berbers that reside in OTL Morocco use the Hebrew script because of they are followers of the Jewish faith ITL. I forgot to put it in but its a Slavic language roughly corresponding to the Slovenian spoking in the Prekmurje region of OTL Slovenia.

1681175739277.png

The Western Schism was a split that occured in the Orthodox Catholic Church that lead to the permanent break in the communion between the German Church and the Roman Church after years of political and religious dispute. In 814, the archdiocese of Aachen was raised to the level of a Patriarchate of the church, equal to the other 5 patriarchates and would be later joined by the addition of the Patriarchate of Aquileia/Oglej. The schism was the result of years of political and theological differences between the Latinate South and the German North.

The main cause of the split was the efforts of the Roman Emperors to impose the primacy of the Pope of Rome over the Pfaffe of Aachen by appointing anti-Patriarchs. The Pope had already successfully placed universal administration over the other 5 patriarchs, but luckily for Aachen the Germans had an army to back their Patriarch. Theological disputes had become common between the Germans and the Latins. Church celibacy, addition of the Filloque, and other related issues in the Church. In an attempt to calm the tensions, the Emperor and the Kaiser called a ecumenical council in the city of Basel in 1410. The Council of Basel proved to be a disaster, with the two sides refusing to come to an agreement and ultimately excommunicating each other. The Orthodox Catholic Church divided into the Roman Catholic Church and the new Evangelical Orthodox Church.

The split proved to be heavily political, with German aligned states following the new church. the Kingdom of Uzia, reconsituted after the rule of the Blue Horde, was heavily ruled by the Neuadel, German nobility

Last edited:
German, the Ostsiedlung went southwards instead of northwards because of demographic pressures
Were the settlers all from the region that speaks German, or were they from across the different West Germanic linguistic groups and wound up settling on German as their common language?

Were the settlers all from the region that speaks German, or were they from across the different West Germanic linguistic groups and wound up settling on German as their common language?
The Germans were invited by the Teutonic Order to settle the mostly empty area from around the German Empire, but they gradually coalesced upon one German standard, what would be considered OTL German.