The Dying of the Light

Discussion in 'Post Test Messages Here' started by Turquoise Blue, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Turquoise Blue Fluid Kaleidoscope Gal

[​IMG]
    (Image created by @Comisario).
    Introduction

Hello. My name is Gwen, but I go by the label of Turquoise Blue on AH.com. This write-up is going to be an introduction to The Dying of the Light for new followers.

First of all, it comes from Dylan Thomas' poem "Do not go gentle in that good night" and goes roughly...
    Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

What is The Dying of the Light?
    A good question. The Dying of the Light started off as a very random list that I ended up deleting [Most of it went into Britain up to SKYNET]. I didn't think much of that list at the time, considering it to be basically spitting on accepted levels of plausibility on AH.com. But I later went back to the concept and rebuilt it from memory, changing stuff here and there, and expanded after the ending, going up to the Techno-Tory victory in 2181, a completely random year that has ended up becoming the "today" of The Dying of the Light due to mainly chance and inertia.

The Dying of the Light is not, and has never been intended to be, plausible. You could broadly say it's stretching the limits of plausibility for the first 30 or so years before abandoning all pretences. I would say it's very much a creature of this strange decade, and especially of this strange year. The basic idea of TDL is that the perceived weirdness of this decade escalates up to a certain point [I like to note the zombies as the point where plausibility disappears] before becoming a surreal list.

But it is more than just one or two odd lists those days. It's an outright universe. That is important to keep in mind. This was one reason it was rebranded from A Trivial List for Serious People to The Dying of the Light. Another one is that it's rather less "trivial" and more "philosophical" those days, unlike when it was created.

Now, the above might have talked about The Dying of the Light as in "physically". We're going to talk about the concepts and what themes predominate in it.

What are the major themes in The Dying of the Light?
    Occult:
    Matters of the occult have been a major theme so far. Concepts beyond human understanding and the popular reaction towards that are the major raisons d'etre for the majority of the timeline. The Devil's Pact is a major event in the history of this universe, and this could be compared to the Witcherverse's Conjunction of the Spheres in the way it releases strange, supernatural forces into the world.

A strong cultural association has been made between 'paganism' and the occult in OTL, and The Dying of the Light reflects this association by having Christianity wither while 'paganism' [mostly indigenous religions] grows in popularity. However, Christianity did not disappear. There's a Biblical book called Revelation that talks of the End Times, and this book is strongly emphasised in the Revelationist Christian denominations, and the Revelationists grow in membership as they are perceived as the most Christian answer to the events that happened. One thing I have to emphasise is that people were traumatised by the Zombie Apocalypse and the Post-Apocalyptic Horror. People are desperate for new beliefs, new solutions, new explanations.

Nostalgia: Nostalgia and concepts of The Past is a key theme. People see the past as a simpler time, one free of cosmic horrors and supernatural influence. Some will say 'but, TB, how does this reconcile with the growth of paganism?'. The answer is that the 'paganism' in TDL is overwhelmingly reconstructionist. Wicca isn't that popular. People turn to the past to explain the Apocalypse and Horror, and they don't limit themselves to the recent past. In fact, some of them blame Christianity for the whole thing, as the Devil is a traditionally-Christian figure.

Rebirth: The Dying of the Light, seemingly contrary to the title, doesn't end with zombies or with the Horror. It continues for more than a century after that. We see society rebuild and make sense of what just happened. We see nations emerge out of the ashes, even send space colonies and establish First Contact. And I would like to emphasise that despite all that happened before it, the "present" (2181) in The Dying of the Light is actually an optimistic time to live in. Yes, it isn't great everywhere, people still want religious and scientific explanations for past events, magic is still happening and quite a few of the creatures from the Horror are still around. But it's a generally-decent era of technological and social progress.

I suppose this part of the story, the Neo-Renaissance and further rebuilding, is a reaction from me for the growing pessimism of this year, and I wanted to avoid making the timeline a grim and cynical story in which the future is just death, horror and misery. The first part is indeed the destruction of human society due to supernatural events, but the main focus is on the rebuilding and the relighting of the torch of hope.

After all, there is a reason why I chose a title from a poem meant to rage and fight against dying. Humanity does not want to "go gentle into that good night".​

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. Turquoise Blue Fluid Kaleidoscope Gal

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Noravea, Daltonia, tuxer and 8 others like this.
  3. Turquoise Blue Fluid Kaleidoscope Gal

4. Turquoise Blue Fluid Kaleidoscope Gal

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Noravea, Oppo and wolfram like this.
  5. Turquoise Blue Fluid Kaleidoscope Gal

Random Notes
    People use the Nanonet, or just Nano. "I'm gonna Nano"/"I'm going to Nano"/"I'm Nanoing". It's Virtual Reality Internet, really. You use it by some sort of thing you place on your head or something. Talk of integrating the Nanonet into the Galaction [the Galactic internet] is ongoing.

The dominating search engine is Horizon. Once called Finder-Spyder, it rebranded when merging with Jeeves [Yes, Jeeves came back and killed Ask]. Jeeves the butler has been replaced by a younger, female, butler called Horizon, but the basic idea is the same.

The Hivemind is a very, very controversial type of virtual-reality-net that proved way too much for people to stomach. It ended up being dismantled in the 2110s. Research on how to improve it and decrease mental effects are ongoing with the help of Galactic scientists who're interested in the idea.

The Secretary of State for Virtual Realities, often called the Virtual Secretary, is one of the major offices in the British Cabinet. It deals with matters pertaining to the Nanonet and virtual realities, including the possible Galactic Integration. The Virtual Secretary and the Technology Secretary work very closely together.

Noravea and Oppo like this.