The Dream is Alive

Introduction
So,yet another timeline from LordandsaviorKloka, he who is infamous for starting promising stuff and then abandoning it.
Don’t blame the man,blame the muse.

But your 21st Century Future thing is still on,right?
Right.

What’s this,then?
A timeline where the winds of fortune blow ever in favor of the Shuttle. A timeline where the Shuttle lives up to its marketing hype. A timeline where Buran gets to launch Mir modules. A world where the Europeans get independent manned spaceflight- in the 90s! A world where there’s an unofficial Second Space Race,but still cooperation. A world where Viking 3 flies in the 80s. A world where Jack Kemp sits in the White House. A world where the new millennium is celebrated by men orbiting the Moon. A world where space is the place for industry. A world where US and Soviet probes stake competing (automated) claims on NEOs. A world where.........The Dream is Alive.

Borrowing Usili’s title?
Yes. This is loosely inspired by it,and the Skylab-Shuttle TL,but has a different PoD. Think........early Nixon era PoD.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Prologue
This prologue is intended to mark that it’s a (somewhat) different world than what we know......

December 16,2019

John Pike was not normally a nervous man,but when it came to stuff like what was to happen tonight,he felt like a guy on his first date. Tonight he would have his first interview in 25 years,with a cub reporter writing a history of modern space exploration. And he would have many stories to tell her.

He clutched her e-mail printout in his hand,occasionally looking at it for reference. It went as this:
Dear Dr Pike,
I'm a journalist working at WFTV's Cape Canaveral "beat",and writing a history of space exploration on the side for my 10th anniversary there. I was told by Chief Astronaut Mike Barratt that you would be a good source on the early Shuttle era,due to the long time you served as an astronaut (1974-2008). I would like to meet at the Outpost to discuss any stories you might have to tell.
Sincerely,
Brittany Daniel

John got in his old GTO and drove the distance to the famous Outpost Tavern. It was getting dark,with the Moon rising in the distance over the canal network. The clouds overhead promised a light shower later tonight,something currently being confirmed by the weatherman on the radio. Only a few drivers were out tonight,mostly on the last of the pre-Christmas shopping errands.

As he always did,John took a few moments to stare at the softscreen billboards lining the route out of old El Lago. An ad for the newest batch of mini-phones here,a poster about the new Harry Potter movie there,a Galveston dentist plugging his services,some baseball star being interviewed. John thought of it as a microcosm of modern life. Here on the left Emma Watson was plugging her appearance on the latest episode of MCIU,here on the right the Borders bookstore in Pearland was promoting itself as having an herbal bar.

------

(Soundtrack: Barry Gray - "The Tracy Lounge Piano")

John arrived at the Outpost at 7:20,little more than 20 minutes after he'd left his house. It was easy to spot Brittany Daniel among the after-dinner crowd. A young-ish blonde lady with a smile that suggested a cat among the cream,she wore a bronze dinner dress and sat at a table beneath a photo depicting the unmanned launch of Starlab,signed by that space station's first crew after their return to Earth. Ah,1982,a simpler time.

"Hello,Dr Pike!", said Brittany. She reached out to shake his hand,getting up slightly to do so.
"Please,call me John. Far too many people call me Doctor. It gets old."
A waiter (a young college boy with a goatee and Gekko glasses:evidently a throwback to the old days) came by and asked,and then took,their orders. It seemed that Brittany preferred salad. John ordered their Olde Irish casserole,a favorite of his from the '90s. As the waiter traipsed off in the direction of the kitchen,Brittany took out a small TCR unit and discreetly laid it on the table.

Brittany nodded towards the piano with a smile. "My sister used to play on pianos in bars like this:maybe she even played on this particular piano. Of course,this was before she got internationally recognized."
John gasped. "Your sister is Cynthia Daniel-Woods? I should've known. Andrea,that's my youngest,loves her music."
"Yup."
Their talk turned to Houston, how its only definable seasons were "muddy heat", "living furnace", "lots of rain", and "sheet ice on the Ship Canal". Presently their dinner arrived,and they ate in silence. When they had eaten,Brittany activated the TCR with a few button presses.

"So,John,I hear you have some history for me", she said in her best imitation of a come-hither voice. John allowed himself a chuckle.
"Listen up,Ms Daniel. You're about to get schooled....."

Next:early 1969. I’m only hinting as to the PoD,as I’m not good with election tables.

Last edited:
December 1968 through April 1969
Whatever became of you, Hubert?
We miss you, so tell us, please:
Are you sad? Are you cross?
Are you gathering moss
While you wait for the boss to sneeze?

- Tom Lehrer

The marginal election of Hubert Humphrey as President and Edmund Muskie as Vice President on November 5,1968 came as a left-field shock to America. Humphrey’s run on a “Some People Talk Change,Other People Cause Change” platform has been cited as one of the most controversial campaigns in US history,coming as it did amid the political and cultural shocks engendered by the Vietnam War and the countercultural movement. And for some,his election couldn’t have come at a better time.

Entering the race on February 14,1968 (1), two weeks before President Lyndon Johnson announced his intention not to run for another term,Humphrey proceeded to recruit energetic Maine Senator Edmund Muskie as his Vice Presidential candidate. Senator Fred Harris and Representative Carl Albert joined the Humphrey campaign team as advisors in April and May 1968 respectively. In July,the latter was promoted to campaign manager. Later additions to the team included Vermont governor Philip Hoff,journalist Bill Moyers,and Representatives Wilbur Mills and John Tunney. Among the endorsers of Humphrey’s campaign included singers Frank and Nancy Sinatra,authors Ralph Ellison and John Steinbeck,and former Supreme Court justice Arthur Goldberg.

During the approach to the election,as the autumn of 1968 progressed,Humphrey held forth
on a variety of American issues of the day. As expected,most prominent among these was the ongoing war in Vietnam. Earlier in his campaign, Humphrey had criticized potential Democratic candidate Eugene McCarthy for offering no peace plan re Vietnam,which in retrospect may have been the clincher to lose McCarthy the party's nomination. Humphrey had won the Democratic nomination on August 12,1968,at the end of a convention which saw mass protests and arrests. Ironically,in late September,Humphrey would gain McCarthy's endorsement as well as that of LBJ.

Election Day itself came and went. Humphrey defeated Nixon 298 to 194 in the electoral college,his main margin coming from the American West. Nixon dominated the East (excepting the NYC-Boston-Washington corridor) and American Independent candidate George C.Wallace the South.

—————

November 10-17,1968 - the Zond 6 space mission. This mission utilized a Zond spacecraft for an unmanned lunar flyby at a range of 270 miles. At the end of the misison,due to a guidance failure,the spacecraft splashed down in the Indian Ocean.

Early December 1968 - At this time emerged a rumor out of Sweden that the Soviets were about to send a cosmonaut around the Moon on a solo mission. This mission never materialized,but was influential in the Western perception of the Soviet space program.

December 21-27,1968 - Apollo 8 (Borman,Lovell,Anders). C-prime lunar orbital mission. First manned mission to the Moon. Orbited the Moon 10 times over a period of 20 hours. The crew took observational photos of the Moon,surveyed future lunar landing sites,and hosted several TV broadcasts.

January 13-18,1969 - the joint Soyuz 4/5 space mission (Shatalov,Volynov,Khrunov,Yeliseyev). First docking of two manned spacecraft (docked duration:37 hours). Khrunov and Yeliseyev spacewalksd to Soyuz 4 and returned to Earth with Shatalov.

January 20,1969 - inauguration of Hubert Humphrey as the 37th President of the United States. Humphrey promises in his inaugural speech to seek a peace plan in Vietnam and to improve race relations and the American economy.

February 19,1969 - unsuccessful launch of a lunar rover module from Baikonur atop a Proton rocket. The lunar rover was stranded in Earth orbit after a propellant leak and received the designation Cosmos 266. It decayed from Earth orbit on July 2,1976.

February 21,1969 - unsuccessful test launch of the N-1 rocket. N-1 #3L third stage failed to ignite:its capsule flew a suborbital mission of 42 minutes duration,landing near Khabarovsk.

February 26,1969 - President Humphrey signs a bill approving the Space Transportation System program,popularly referred to as the Space Shuttle.

March 3-13,1969 - Apollo 9 (McDivitt,Schweickart,Scott), D misison Earth orbital test of the Apollo lunar module Spider.
Schwickart conducted an EVA of 3 hours' duration on March 6. On March 7,he and McDivitt took Spider on a test run in Earth orbit,while Scott observed them from the command module Gumdrop. Both the descent and ascent engines of the LM were tested. After Spider was jettisoned,the crew engaged in Earth sciences and zero-gravity experiments.

April 2,1969 - successful launch from Russia of the Mars 2 space probe,after the failed launch of a companion probe on March 28.

April 19,1969 - North American Aviation wins the Space Shuttle Orbiter development contract.

1:the POD

Late spring,1969
"I think it may turn out to be a great investment for NASA,if it works as well as the bureaucracy hopes it will. I'd certainly like to stick around in the Astronaut Office long enough to fly it."
- Neil Armstrong on the Space Shuttle, June 1969

May 10,1969 - NASA issues an Announcement of Opportunity re: the contract work for the Shuttle's External Propellant Tank (EPT)

May 18-26,1969 - Apollo 10 (Stafford,Cernan,Young). Lunar orbital flight test of the CSM and LM. On May 22 Stafford and Cernan took the LM Snoopy to within 10 miles of the lunar surface, using their close approach to photograph the Apollo 11 landing site. Live TV transmissions were taken during the translunar and trans-earth coast periods.

June 1969 - the Space Shuttle Program Office is established at the Manned Spacecraft Center.

June 14,1969 - unsuccessful launch attempt of a Luna soft lander. In an unusual step,the Soviet machine asmits that the probe's purpose was to return some lunar soil to Earth.

July 1,1969 - the Apollo 11 crew flies to Cape Kennedy ahead of their planned July 16 launch.

July 3,1969 - the second launch attempt of the N-1 succeeds marginally, placing an L-3 test module in Earth orbit. The translunar injection attempt on the 3rd orbit fails due to an attitude control error:the mission is rebranded as Cosmos 289,an Earth orbital test of an advanced Soyuz. The LOK successfully returns to Earth on July 7,landing 46 km northeast of Baikonur.

July 13,1969 - unsuccessful launch attempt of an E-8 lunar sample returner,which was stranded in Earth orbit. The mission is rebranded as Cosmos 290 and decays from Earth orbit on December 21 (1)

1 - OTL Luna 15

Preview #1 - “The Sky’s No Limit”
The Sky’s No Limit was an American TV series that originally aired on HBO from 1983 to 1993, after a TV film of the same name that served as the pilot and aired in December 1981. Both are based on the 1977 novel of the same name by Mandy Greengrass. The show chronicles the travails of three of the first women astronauts as they fly,train,live,and love during the early days of the Shuttle era.

Info

Created by John Steidler
Writers - Brady Harper, Harry Longstreet, Renee Longstreet, Will Klaas, Justin Goodbody
# of seasons - 10
# of episodes - 146 (including 3 movie specials)
Original network - HBO
Original release - September 22,1983 to May 18,1993

Cast

• Sharon Gless (pilot) and Valerie Bertinelli (regular series) as Johanna Douglas, an accomplished,ambitious female pilot with dreams of becoming the first female Shuttle commander
  • Anne Archer as Dr Susan Browning (later Landsman),a physician who gradually grows into the role of “mother hen” to the astronauts
  • Dee Wallace as Dr Maureen Harris,a NASA veteran who dreams of the possibilities of space colonization
  • Bill Daily as Colonel Charlie King, the chief astronaut and mentor of Browning
  • David Ackroyd as real-life astronaut Ron Evans, the hapless head of the Shuttle crew selection committee
  • Marc P.Brown (seasons 3 and on:credited as Marc Brown) as Dr Nick Miller, trainee astronaut and love interest of the divorced Harris
  • Alan Alda (seasons 2 and on:recurring role) as Jon Landsman, a Houston doctor who romances and later marries Browning
  • Kelly Preston (seasons 5 and on) as April Walters,who Douglas mentors as a female Shuttle pilot
  • Mark Lenard (guest role) as American President Hal Sutton, an avowed progressive who supports the cause of the women astronauts
  • Carl Sagan as himself, in a semi-recurring role

Last edited:
Apollo 11
‘Chapter’ 1

July 20,1969, afternoon

John Pike,23,sat in the main cafeteria at Langley Research Center watching the TV mounted above the bar, with nearly 300 people watching as well. Eagle,the lunar module of Apollo 11, was only a few minutes away from the long engine burn which would lower it, and Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, to the surface of the Moon.

"Eagle,Houston. We read you now. You're go for PDI."

There had been communications difficulties after Eagle separated from the command module Columbia,which was occupied by Michael Collins. Mission Control had regularly had to request the crew to change antenna angles. It maddened John. Here these guys were,a mere 10-odd miles from the first manned landing on another world,and they didn't even have reliable communications with Earth!

"The PDI burn has begun", intoned Jules Bergman. "Now the hopes of NASA lie on a successful descent to the moon...."

The first few minutes of the burn seemed to be going well. At 4 minutes in Aldrin yawed the Eagle around for better Earth communications. The fuel usage seemed to be within limits. Then the alarms sounded.

"1202!"
"What's that?", asked Tom Brumminger of the software lab.
Ron Ivers thumbed through his handbook,sweat breaking out on his pale brow.
"Computer - executive overflow. The PGNCS is being asked to do too much. It should clear up soon."
It did. But then the crew reported its recurrence. Brumminger,Ivers,and some other technicians left for the lab,where they could diagnose things with Houston.
The long descent continued. Now 9 minutes had passed since the burn began. Soon it would be 'now or never'.

"Eagle,Houston. You're go for landing. Over."
"Roger,understand. Go for landing. 3,000 feet. Program alarm."
"It's a 1201 this time."
John knew what 1201 was. 1202,but less serious.
"It must be-"
"We're Go. Same type. We're Go."
"Into the AGS,47 degrees...."

-------

Only a few hundred feet now separated the Eagle and the Moon. Onboard the lunar lander,Edwin Aldrin,known to most as Buzz,kept a steady gaze,alternating between the DSKY control panel and quick glimpses of the terrain. He allowed little emotion into his voice as he read off altitude and velocity data to Neil. They had come too far to turn back now,he knew.

"350 feet, down at 4. 330, three and a half down..... Okay, you're pegged on horizontal velocity."

"Okay", Neil replied. He fed in a small attitude adjustment with the RCS jets.

"300 feet,3 and a half down,47 forward. Slow it up a bit."

"How's the fuel?"

"8%." They still had some margin left to them. But this only allowed for a few more minutes of descent. Neil had found an area to set down in,but did they have enough fuel to get there?

With 225 feet left to go, the altitude and velocity lights to the left of the DSKY lit. Their onboard radar wasn't getting good data:Neil would have to eyeball the landing.

160 feet,130 feet. They were close. Buzz allowed himself to believe that the landing would succeed. But now only 5% of the descent fuel supply remained.

"60 seconds!". Charlie Duke's shrill voice echoed in their headsets.
"Light's on", Neil calmly responded. He let the LM drift.
"40 feet,down two and a half. 30 feet,seeing a shadow......"
"30 seconds."

Almost at the last minute,Eagle's sensors felt the surface. The blue contact light lit and Neil shut down the engine.

--------

At Langley,the silence was intense. John heard the crew go through what he recognized as the engine shutdown checklist. They de-armed the descent engine and told the computer they had landed. Then,the magic words: "Houston,Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Those words were enough for pandemonium to break out in the cafeteria. Leaving it among the throng of embracing engineers,John went to the payphone to call his girlfriend Deanna.

Last edited:
Interesting! I'm curious what Shuttle looks like here, as a lot of the factors that caused the specific OTL solution are different in a 1969 that's different if it's a NASA priority contemporaneous with the heights of Apollo. The take on the Soviet program is also interesting--I commend you for not falling into the temptation to empty several buckets of "make everything perfect" juice over them to accelerate a Soviet landing before Apollo. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Interesting! I'm curious what Shuttle looks like here, as a lot of the factors that caused the specific OTL solution are different in a 1969 that's different if it's a NASA priority contemporaneous with the heights of Apollo. The take on the Soviet program is also interesting--I commend you for not falling into the temptation to empty several buckets of "make everything perfect" juice over them to accelerate a Soviet landing before Apollo. I'll be keeping an eye on this.
Like OTL, WITH BETTER SRBS AND EVENTUALLY LFBBS.

Like OTL, WITH BETTER SRBS AND EVENTUALLY LFBBS.
The SRBs were very much designed to a cost limit that was unique to the evolving situation in 1971. With Humphrey making it a major issue even before Apollo lands, I think it's likely you'd get a different solution to the booster problems from the start, possibly pressure-fed liquid boosters or some kind of flyback system. It's admittedly also a period of drawdown in the budget, but that's another argument that if you're adding a new flagship program, you should do so correctly since you might be killing Apollo Applications on the altar of the new program's initiation before Apollo 11 even lands.

The SRBs were very much designed to a cost limit that was unique to the evolving situation in 1971. With Humphrey making it a major issue even before Apollo lands, I think it's likely you'd get a different solution to the booster problems from the start, possibly pressure-fed liquid boosters or some kind of flyback system. It's admittedly also a period of drawdown in the budget, but that's another argument that if you're adding a new flagship program, you should do so correctly since you might be killing Apollo Applications on the altar of the new program's initiation before Apollo 11 even lands.
I’ll see if pressure-fed liquids can do the job. Who would be the likeliest contractor for them? I’m planning the first STS mission for 1978.

I’ll see if pressure-fed liquids can do the job. Who would be the likeliest contractor for them? I’m planning the first STS mission for 1978.
Pretty much any of them. General Dynamics' Atlas experience might be a slight preference given their experience with pressure-critical liquid tanks.

Chapter 2: The Audiences of Apollo 11
(Feel free to picture the JSC campus as it appears in Six Million Dollar Man establishing shots)

21 July 1969

At night,Paul Weitz had to admit,the MSC campus was an inviting island in the sea of lights that characterized suburban Houston. He approached the Main Complex from the left,parking his Chevy in Buzz's normal parking space between Windler's and Hammack's. The night was quiet as he ascended the stairs into Building 30. The lights were turned down to an ambient glow that permeated the building, and he could hear the ambient buzz of the air conditioning as he walked. On the walls were pictures representing the decade-long history of NASA,from Explorer 1 on down to Apollo 8. There was a photo of the Friendship 7 launch,hand-signed by John Glenn himself. Another photo depicted the Gemini 4 crew in a moment of pre-launch levity.

At last he reached the viewing room,separated from the MOCR proper by a thin pane of glass. Squawk boxes relayed the audio of the conversations between Earth and Moon. At this late hour,the only people in the room were some bureaucrats and unassigned astronauts Weitz didn't know:a far cry from the packed room of earlier today as Eagle descended to the Moon. Even the PAO,up in his box to the right,seemed uninterested in the events currently transpiring. Among the few still viewing the mission,Weitz recognized Freddy Robertson,a blond Californian from the 1967 scientist group who was running interference for the PAO people.

"Houston, Tranquility Base. Repress complete."

"Roger, Tranquility. We observed your equipment jettison on the TV, and the passive seismic experiment recorded shocks when each PLSS hit the surface....."

"How's everything going,Fred?"

Robertson straightened. "The EVA's complete,Paul. They just dumped the PLSS backpacks."

"They were playing highlights on the radio. That was some Presidential call. All that about "while you're at Tranquillity Base,we are devoting our efforts to increasing tranquillity for those on Earth.....". All pretty inspirational stuff."

"Yeah,especially when my group's next for mission training. Congress won't allocate through 20,I think,but 18 or so oughta be a good stopping point. Especially when you factor in the Shuttle. It's a good bet that General Dynamics'll get the booster contract next month."

Weitz whistled. "Jesus! And just when they've got Atlas too...."

"HQ announced on Friday that we'll be getting the MOL guys in September,as compensation after that got cancelled a few weeks ago."

In the MOCR room,unnoticed by Weitz and Robertson,the TV feed from the Moon was terminated and the screen reverted to a test pattern.

"I've got to go help Owen at Capcom", said Robertson as he got up, "See you later today for the rendezvous."

————-
Early the next afternoon,John Pike anxiously awaited liftoff. This was the only chance the Apollo 11 crew had to leave the Moon,fulfilling the second half of Kennedy's Moon landing success criteria.

"9,8,7,6,5,abort stage,engine arm-ascent,proceed...."

A crackle of static was the only thing Pike and his fellow engineers needed to indicate that the Eagle was now ascending from the Moon. Thank God that the pencil didn't affect anything important,John thought as Aldrin relayed ascent data both to Armstrong and Earth.

Just after docking,his team was let off their consoles. As John left for the carpark,he was met by Jon Rowle of the Personnel Office. Without any preliminaries,he launched into his reason for accosting John.

"We're transferring you to MSC,to the Shuttle office, Tell ypur girl friend to pack both of your bags, You report to Chris Kraft in three weeks. Good luck."

Chapter 3: (insert snazzy title here.....alright, late summer 1969)
(From David Baker, The History of Manned Space Flight:1961-1986, Crown Publishers:1990, 1250 pages,etc)

On 7 August [1969], while the crew was still in quarantine, NASA announced to the public that General Dynamics had been selected by committee to build the Shuttle’s Liquid Rocket Boosters, with a specification of reusability for 50 missions of each booster. Construction of an LRB Test Article was set for late 1970, and the first LRBs would be delivered for static testing sometime in the summer of 1973 if NASA’s current timetable held. The first flight-qualified boosters were planned for delivery to KSC at the beginning of 1975 to support the Shuttle’s maiden voyage no earlier than late 1976,although in December NASA would acknowledge that that was likely an unrealistic date:better to aim for 1978 or thereabouts. Nevertheless,excitement for the Shuttle was building.
—————

August 1969 - conversion of N-1 #4L commences for the launch of an unmanned circumlunar Zond mission in summer 1970.

Late August 1969 - Neil Armstrong gathers his crew to discuss their future. Armstrong and Collins elect to definitively stay with the astronaut corps and await flights on Skylab or the Shuttle. Aldrin elects to resign from active astronaut duty but seek an engineering position at MSC (1)

September 8,1969 - Mars 2 successfully enters a Mars orbit with a periares of 495 miles,an apoares of 930 miles,an inclination of 48 degrees,and a period of 155 minutes. On September 10 the orbiter returns the first photographs of Mars from its orbit and on September 17 the first photos of Phobos. Mars 2 will continue in operation to 1974.

September 24,1969 - contracts are awarded to NAA for the first two Orbiters.

October 4-10,1969 - the triple flight of Soyuz 6,Soyuz 7,and Soyuz 8 (Georgi Shonin and Valeri Kubasov,Anatoly Filipchenko and Vladislav Volkov,Georgi Beregovoy and Georgi Dobrovolsky). On October 7 Soyuz 7 successfully docks to Soyuz 8,but spacesuit problems prevent a crew exchange.

October 28,1969-Chrysler is awarded the EPT development contract.

1 - this will help butterfly away Aldrin’s depressive issues and alcoholism

Last edited:
Soviet space stations
Salyut 1/DOS-1 (April 19-October 11,1971)
DOS-2 (July 29,1972)
Salyut 2/Almaz 1 (April 3-May 28,1973)
Salyut 3/DOS-3 (May 10,1973-April 16,1974)
Salyut 4/Almaz 2 (June 22-December 30,1974)
Salyut 5/DOS-4 (December 25,1974-November 1,1976)
Salyut 6/Almaz 3 (June 15,1976-July 4,1977)
Salyut 7/DOS-5 (August 18,1977-January 30,1982)
Salyut 8/DOS-6 (November 4,1981-summer 1989)
Mir/DOS-7 (September 22,1985-?)

Last edited:
Interlude:Interview with the Cosmonaut
Based on Episode 3 of “We choose to build a space station in this decade”

Wednesday,June 11,2014
10:37 am EDT
Baltimore
J-Squared iCast, episode 90

Jana Mays:So,you joined the cosmonaut team of 1984,and you were assigned to work on the revived Luna program as a preparatory thing for spaceflight?

Alexander Kaleri:Yes. The bureaucracy didn’t believe that four lunar landings in the late ‘70s were enough,so they had to revive Luna. I was assistant flight director on Luna 27 and Luna 28 and secondary flight director on Luna 29,also known in the West as Luna-Glob. Then came my first mission assignment.

Jana Mays:What was the biggest challenge of those missions?

Alexander Kaleri:If we’re being honest here,tracking. At that time Soyuzcosmos had no global tracking network like NASA or ESA,not til the launch of the Sever satellites in the early 90s:those are like your GPS,even to that we were both able to launch them from our Shuttles. So it was a matter of positioning ships out in the far seas to track our spaceships. We named these ships for dead cosmonauts like Yuri Gagarin and Vladimir Komarov. I believe that the Georgi Beregovoi is the only one in service today.

Jana Mays:Did you work on any planetary missions? Like Mars 11 or the Yupiter probes?

Alexander Kaleri:Both of your examples flew before my time,but I did work on what eventually became Venera-G.

Jana Mays:That’s interesting. In our next segment,we’ll discuss Kaleri’s first space mission,as flight engineer on the maiden mission of the Groza orbiter,which would mark the first of only three occasions to date where a head of state has gone to space.......

Last edited:
Chapter 4:Pinpoint for Science
Apollo 12 launched on November 14,1969, at 11:22 am Eastern Standard Time,under the command of veteran astronaut Pete Conrad,who had been second pilot on Gemini 5 in August 1965 and commanded Gemini 11 a year later. The command module pilot was Richard ‘Dick’ Gordon,who had been Conrad’s second pilot on Gemini 11,and the lunar module pilot was rookie Alan Bean,who replaced CC Williams,killed in an airplane accident in October 1967. The launch was marred by two lightning strikes,at 35 and 50 seconds after liftoff,but the crew was able to reset their onboard electrical systems and at 2 hours 10 minutes since launch Mission Control gave them a Go to proceed with their mission.

Said mission involved a lunar precision landing near a known target,in this case the Surveyor 3 space probe,launched in April 1967. The probe had landed in the Oceanus Procellarum region of the Moon not far from the Soviet Luna 13 probe. Conrad and Bean would be tasked with returning pieces of the probe to Earth so that scientists could evaluate how prolonged lunar exposure could affect materials.

The trans-lunar cruise phase of the mission proceeded with only minor issues. At 30 hours 55 minutes Gordon fired their onboard engine for 10 seconds to refine their trajectory. Conrad and Bean later on conducted a televised tour of their lunar module,Intrepid (the call sign of the command module was Yankee Clipper. Both names would later be applied to Space Shuttles).

The lunar orbital insertion burn came off nominally at 83 hours 25 minutes. 4 hours later,after a TV transmission during which the crew showed viewers the near side of the Moon,another burn modified their orbital path. The fourth mission day concluded with another trip into Intrepid to check its systems.

The next day Conrad and Bean got up bright and early,entereing Intrepid for the third time at 104 hours 51 minutes since launch. Their separation from Yankee Clipper was effected successfully at 108 hours. After more systems checks,Conrad fired Intrepid's descent engine at 109 hours 23 minutes. This 12 second burn lowered Intrepid's orbit so that at its closest approach its altitude over the lunar surface would be 10 nautical miles. An hour later the engine was fired again to effect the powered descent to the lunar surface.

During the lunar approach phase,Conrad used the guidance system to perform several 'redesignations' of their lunar landing site,as a test for future lunar landings. At 110 hours 28 minutes,Bean sighted their landing area and confirmed to Conrad that they were coming down more on less straight on target. The landing radar dropped out twice during final approach,and just as on Apollo 11 the fuel level dropped rapidly,but at 110 hours 32 minutes (1:54 am on November 19) Conrad successfully landed Intrepid on the Ocean of Storms.

The crew spent a few hours preparing to exit the LM onto the lunar surface. Early on in this period,at 114 hours 24 minutes,Gordon reported that he had a good visual sighting on the landing sites of both the LM and Surveyor. This was enough to confirm that Intrepid had indeed landed on target. 115 hours and 22 minutes after launch,Charles Conrad became the third man on the Moon. His words at that moment were "Whoopie! Man,that may have been a small one for Neil,but it's a long one for me", reflecting his playful nature. Conrad spent the first few minutes of the moonwalk familiarizing himself with the lunar environment,and Bean joined him at 115 hours 50 minutes.

The main objective of EVA-1 was the setup of the first Apollo Lunar Surface Experiments Package,or ALSEP for short. On Apollo 12,the ALSEP consisted of a magnetometer,a lunar seismic experiment, a solar wind study,and a lunar atmospheric detector. Deployment and activation of the ALSEP began at 117 hours and lasted 40 minutes. During this time,while pointing the lunar surface TV camera,Bean accidentally aimed it into the Sun and caused it to short-circuit. The crew made a quick geological traverse back to Intrepid,collecting various representative lunar samples,before closing out the EVA at 119 hours,even. A few minutes after the completion of the moonwalk,at 119 hours 45 minutes,Gordon burned his onboard engine to correct Yankee Clipper's orbit.

The second moonwalk began at 131 hours 32 minutes. The early phase of the moonwalk involved a geological traverse around several craters in the vicinity of the landing site,the crew using their time to pick representative samples from each crater. They arrived at Surveyor at 133 hours 42 minutes and spent 18 minutes at its landing site,removing the TV camera for return to Earth. EVA-2 ended at 135 hours 20 minutes:the total moonwalk time was 7 hours and 45 minutes,spread across 3 hours and 56 minutes for EVA-1 and 3 hours 50 minutes for EVA-2.

Takeoff from the lunar surface was at 142 hours 3 minutes:the ascent engine's thrust was so strong that it knocked over the US flag that Conrad had planted on the surface. Rendezvous with Yankee Clipper went smoothly,and docking occurred at 145 hours 35 minutes. After Conrad and Bean transferred to the CSM (naked,due to Gordon's concern that they might contaminate the cabin with lunar dust,although they transferred the lunar samples in boxes) Intrepid's ascent stage was jettisoned and commanded to crash-dive onto the Moon to calibrate the lunar seismometer. The impact was at 149 hours 55 minutes,and was so strong that it caused the Moon to 'ring like a bell' for nearly an hour following. The crew spent nearly another day in lunar orbit,mainly taking photographs of future lunar landing sites,and left orbit at 172 hours 26 minutes. Trans-earth coast was nominal,requiring only two course correction at 188 hours 25 minutes and 241 hours 25 minutes. At 244 hours 34 minutes,after a nominal re-entry,Apollo 12 splashed down in the Pacific and its crew was quickly retrieved by the Hornet,the same ship which had recovered Apollo 11 5 months earlier. During the splashdown,a loose camera hit Bean on the head,but he recovered quickly,requiring only a few stitches.

Apollo 12 was Conrad's third of five missions between 1965 and 1980,Bean's first of six between 1969 and 1986,and Gordon's second of three between 1966 and 1976.

Last edited:
Anyone willing to suggest a launch vehicle for a Skylab-sized space station module? The launch is taking place in the summer of 1982. This is a resupplyable laboratory with additional modules to be added by Shuttles. Crews will launched in an Apollo-derived capsule launched atop Titan 3M. I was originally going to have one of the two remaining Saturn Vs converted for launch,but I’ve tentatively decided against this.

Anyone willing to suggest a launch vehicle for a Skylab-sized space station module? The launch is taking place in the summer of 1982. This is a resupplyable laboratory with additional modules to be added by Shuttles. Crews will launched in an Apollo-derived capsule launched atop Titan 3M. I was originally going to have one of the two remaining Saturn Vs converted for launch,but I’ve tentatively decided against this.
I'd say that your best bet is either Saturn V launched earlier, before the pads are converted for Shuttle, or use Shuttle-C which can launch about 75-85 metric tons depending on details. Skylab is about 87 tons as launched, including the 25,000 pound payload shroud. To trim down, the Apollo Telescope mount is also about 25,000 pounds (another 11 tons), and the airlock is about 50,000 pounds (roughly 22 tons). You may be able either lightweight those two modules or omit them and replace with similar units launched later in assembly by Shuttle (early on, the Shuttle airlock can be used instead). Not many other vehicles can get to the mass required without some really extensive one-off vehicle development - even the OWS alone is 35 metric tons and needs a 6.6m fairing.

I'd say that your best bet is either Saturn V launched earlier, before the pads are converted for Shuttle, or use Shuttle-C which can launch about 75-85 metric tons depending on details. Skylab is about 87 tons as launched, including the 25,000 pound payload shroud. To trim down, the Apollo Telescope mount is also about 25,000 pounds (another 11 tons), and the airlock is about 50,000 pounds (roughly 22 tons). You may be able either lightweight those two modules or omit them and replace with similar units launched later in assembly by Shuttle (early on, the Shuttle airlock can be used instead). Not many other vehicles can get to the mass required without some really extensive one-off vehicle development - even the OWS alone is 35 metric tons and needs a 6.6m fairing.
Shuttle-C it is then.

Edit:Is there any possibility a pad already with Shuttle equipment could be temporarily converted for the Saturn,and re converted once the Saturn launch was done? Alternatively I can arrange to downsize this module a bit.

Edit 2 I just thought of:Whatever happened to Kistling a Different Tune?

Last edited: