The Dominion and the Union: An Alternate North America

It'll be much more of a land war than a naval one, that's for sure. I'd like the Americans to lose this war because I don't think they can wholly repel the South + Britain if land is taken from the US of A. Time for Louisiana and other deep South states still in the US to be taken.

PS: this would piss off the US and force them to be more united and go from coast to coast. I think ittl Americans would be more racist to Natives than Blacks as they'd see Blacks as unfortunate victims while the natives are things they need to get rid of. From sea to shining sea!!!

I've no idea how they'd split Mexico tho. I'd think the Americans would take California (and Baja California) and some states connecting them while the South takes the rest of Mexico into de facto jurisdiction. Russia would sell Alaska to the Americans as the Americans would be more anti British ittl

Last edited:
Earlier I said the an alternate 1812 would probably go better for Britain because they are on the doorstep of New Orleans, but now I'm not so sure. Spain still has Florida so Britain still has to either go around to mount a land invasion (which would suck because most of Louisiana is difficult terrain to pass on land, and if they want to go by sea that'd probably end up the same as iotl. Though I'm not sure what becomes of Jackson ittl, he was born in South carolina, but his family was a patriot, so maybe they move when he's a teenager, but I'm not entirely, the history of the united states is very different without Jackson. I think that America might put up a more organized fight too because they don't see the south as being as easy to conquer as Canada.

Alright, the next part is coming along very slowly, but it'll be ready sooner than later. I'm not skilled at writing wars, so the writing might not be fantastic, but when it comes out it should be fine.

The War of 1810 (1810-1813)
The War of 1810 began on February 15th, 1810. While ultimately inconsequential in terms of territorial loss or gain, the war was tantamount to the American spirit during the first half of the 1800s. Though suffering a number of defeats, a few major victories and the eventual neutral peace gave quite the boost to the growing American ego.

The British of the south were caught off-guard when the war began. Under the assumption that the US government would take no action against the impressment of American sailors, and that the US military was an ineffective force in its entirety, the British had not prepared for American aggression. During this stage of the war, the Americans were able to take some British settlements.

The most influential theatre of the war was the Gulf Coast. American troops had been positioned along the long border of West Florida and in forts around New Orleans, and a number of British settlements were attacked by American soldiers. However, while American soldiers were superior on land during the initial stages of the war, their luck would not last.

A Portrait of Irish-Born Major General Robert Ross.

The British of the south were able to gather troops in equal measure to American numbers six months into the war, pulled mainly from local militias and given hasty training. Under a number of competent, British- and Irish-born commanders, American-captured settlements were easily liberated. However, the true British force was the Navy. British naval dominance was unchallenged by fellow European powers, let alone the United States.

Blockades of the Atlantic coast of the US were highly effective, nearly bringing the nation to its knees. Spanish assistance in the Gulf of Mexico allowed some importation via the Mississippi, but even this avenue would be overrun and blockaded after a year-and-a-half of naval fighting. Especially effective in the Gulf were British bombardments of American ports. By the end of the war, the port of New Orleans was nearly completely destroyed, and repairs would take nearly half a decade to finish.

Two remarkable American victories would come in late 1812. The Battle of Norfolk, the first of these two victories, took place from the 25th through the 28th of September. Following weeks of bombardment, British forces landed near the mouth of the James River on September 25th. Fighting took place in Hampton, Newport News, and Norfolk proper. While progress was made for the British initially, the Continental Army’s arrival on the 26th reversed the tide of the siege entirely. By the end of the
fighting, ~270 Virginians and ~150 British lay dead on the shores.

The Battle of New Orleans would come less than a month later, on October 17th. While Norfolk had experienced weeks of bombardment, New Orleans had been bombarded for two years, nearly continuously. British forces landed early in the morning, and began towards the city. The difficult terrain, made all the more treacherous due to strong weather in days previous, slowed the British movement to a crawl. The slow advance of the British allowed for American soldiers to arrive in time to defend the city. The fighting was brutal, but by the end of the battle, the British suffered a crushing defeat. For every American killed or wounded in combat that day, nearly 3 British suffered the same.

After the defeat of the British at New Orleans, hostilities essentially ceased. The war would not officially end until February 10th 1813, but only small-scale scuffles, often with no casualties, actually took place before then. Though the war was in truth a stalemate, the war kickstarted the era of American nationalism. The success of the war would also give a well-needed boost to the popularity of president James Madison.

Last edited:
see, a bit part of the US's early failures in 1812 were due to natives, so i don't quite know if it would be the white peace you imply. maybe some adjustments around Carolina, but that is ultimately a bit of a nitpick

I just want to say that I appreciate everyone who watches this thread, who reads and likes my posts, and the folks who speculate about what might happen. It’s really a motivating factor to know someone likes the things you do. Thanks, guys!

The Era of James Madison (1808-1816) Part II
A Portrait of James Madison.
Beginning his second term in 1812, at the tail-end of the War of 1810, Madison had changed as a leader from his first term. Though still a staunch Democratic-Republican, he had become convinced of the necessity of a strong central government to fund and support the nation. This shift in ideals further weakened the dying Federalist party, as the division between the two lessened. At the same time, American national pride, and related hostility towards any internal British-ness, led the Federalists to be widely ostracized in the nation.

In February 1816, Madison established the second national bank with a 25-year charter. The goal of the establishment of the bank was to be able to support the growing American military. In this same period, Madison imposed a tariff to protect American goods from competition. This too was to increase funding for the government and military. Another aim for Madison post-war was to improve American infrastructure.

Madison was criticized for these actions by fellow Democratic-Republicans. John Randolph, a representative from Virginia, said that Madison’s policies “out-Hamiltoned Alexander Hamilton.” None-the-less, Madison’s internal improvement policies proved foundational to following presidential goals. They were also hugely successful in funding the nation after the war.

When Madison left office in 1816, the nation was changed in many important ways. The party system he had become president in was on the way out, and the Era of Nationalism was beginning. America, galvanized by war and strengthened by a boosted central government and improved infrastructure, was on its way to becoming an influential power of its own. As John Adams put it, Madison had “acquired more glory, and established more union, than all his three predecessors, Washington, Adams, and Jay, put together.

Last edited:
Nice chapter, the US is centralizing and improving. Could we see how things are going down south? What is life like in the British Dominion? Keep up the good work.

Madison was criticized for these actions by fellow Democratic-Republicans. John Randolph, a representative from Virginia, said that Madison’s policies “out-Hamiltoned Alexander Hamilton.” None-the-less, Madison’s internal improvement policies proved foundational to following presidential goals. They were also hugely successful in funding the nation after the war.

Interesting that they mention Hamilton - did he still make his appointment with Aaron Burr this TL?

Nice chapter, the US is centralizing and improving. Could we see how things are going down south? What is life like in the British Dominion? Keep up the good work.
I know you've been wanting that for a long while, and I hate to disappoint, but I honestly have not given the subject much thought. I promise that sooner or later I will make a (or a series of) post(s) on life in Georgia.

Interesting that they mention Hamilton - did he still make his appointment with Aaron Burr this TL?
I don't see why that wouldn't have happened, but I also didn't give that much thought.

I don't see why that wouldn't have happened, but I also didn't give that much thought.
One of the toughest things sometimes is to have so many choices and be unsure what you want. :) because really that is something that could have gone a number of ways even if the duel happens. If Aaron Burr's gun misfires for instance, well, what do you call that? I would think that counts as a shot, especially with much more belief in Divine Providence at the time, even if the people were deists like Jefferson they still thought that there was a reason for everything and therefore someone like Burr might have thought that, "well, it misfired so I wasn't supposed to hit Hamilton."

So, I would say just do whatever you want with the duel. Because the Federalists are more powerful, You could argue that for waits for a few years, and then if he doesn't get his chance in 04 he goes ballistic. Then again, if the Federalists or more powerful he might just get paranoid and go after Hamilton faster. I see him as the Nixon of his day, it's not that he would have been really clean cut no matter what. But like Nixon winning in 60 is probably not Nixon of 68, if Hamilton dies in the yellow fever epidemic of 1793 oh, taking out one of Burr's rivals, he might be a little less scheming.

So, the question is how does his possibly fragile psyche which causes him to feel the need to scheme get impacted? Is he able to buy his time better because at least this happened early enough he can accept the consequences and work with them? Or does it make him more anxious?

Last edited: