The Dominion and the Union: An Alternate North America

Officially, New Albion is not happening. It's votes will be split amongst the other options once voting is over. If you voted for New Albion, don't worry; It will be used at a later point in the timeline.

Officially, New Albion is not happening. It's votes will be split amongst the other options once voting is over. If you voted for New Albion, don't worry; It will be used at a later point in the timeline.
This whole thing is rigged. I feel cheated for some reason, all my hard work for nothing. Whatever you use New Albion for better be amazing. Can't wait for the next chapter.

Welcome to His Majesty's Most United Confederation of Dominions, Territories, Provinces, and Colonies. Carolina (OTL NC + TN), Bamassippi, Carlotia (OTL GA + SC), Cuba Major (OTL Cuba) along with Cuba Minor (OTL FL/Bahamas), and the United Caribbean Provinces (all other British caribbean possessions) form the Pentad of stars on the "Sweet Blue Sally Jack' as the flag is known.

Carolina works, as mentioned the Carolinas are the “core”, but also worth noting that NC and SC were very originally respectively called “Albemarle” and “Clarendon” as internal divisions when united as a singular colonial province - these names can be revived again as historical precedence no matter how early they were dropped for the simple north/south descriptors.

In OTL, loyalists in the 13 colonies fled to the north. This had the consequence that Quebec and other territories there didn't rebel.
Not in OTL. There was no large scale migration of Loyalists out of the Thirteen Colonies until the end of the war and British forces withdrew from the areas they still held (such as New York). Long before that, Quebec rejected participation in the Continental Congress and the rebellion, not even when Continental troops marched into Canada in 1775.

Here's a list of province name suggestions for the Dominion of Carolina. For simplicity's sake, I agree with @Umbric Man's idea of renaming North and South Carolina. Keeping those names after becoming a Dominion would be like Ontario and Quebec keeping the names Upper Canada and Lower Canada after Confederation.
  1. Abermarle for North Carlina
  2. Clarendon for South Carolina
  3. Georgia would likely stay the same.
  4. I think that the old East/West Florida divide would remain in this timeline. East Florida or just Florida would do for the part with the actual peninsula. I think that West Florida, Pensacola, and Tombigbee work as names for the region of West Florida.
  5. Mississippi, Alabama, and Yazoo work as names for the northern halves of Mississippi and Alabama.
  6. Cumberland works as an alternate name for Tennessee.
  7. If the Dominion is ever subdividing pre-existing states into new ones I'm thinking that spinning off the western portions of North Carolina and South Carolina into a province of Piedmont works.
Let me know what you think of these ideas.

An interesting side-note, if you're going with Carolina for the name (hooray!) then you might consider the question of if North/South Carolina might need to be renamed. The colony of Canada in British North America was later renamed IOTL (Ontario, right?)
Of course, the Carolinas have been around for a lot longer than the Canadas were, so maybe they'll keep their name.

Something to think about.

I think the people of South Carolina would readily accept Charleston is the new name for theirs, given the city's power, even ranking is one of the most important cities in the entire 13 colonies. The city then just gets renamed Charleston City, Charleston.

As for North Carolina, perhaps Appalachia? Piedmont, also, though like Appalachia the mountains are only in part of it. Giving the region the name of the mountains in the West would be an interesting way for those in the eastern part to throw a bone to the people in the west, considering that the East had so much more power.

Life in British America (1783-1810)
Life in British America, more widely known as Carolina amongst citizens, remained much the same pre- and post-Revolution. Though taxes were high, increased further after the war, standards of living were comfortable in the South. Land was not immensely difficult to come to possess, and weather was comfortable year-round. Government freedoms were guaranteed to quell any remaining revolutionary fervour, and colonists were finally represented in British Parliament.

The economy of Carolina relied heavily on agriculture. Sugar, tobacco, and indigo were produced in the region. Cotton was also produced, but until the creation of Whitney’s Cotton Engine in the 1790s, the crop was very difficult to cultivate on a large scale. However, following the creation of the cotton ‘gin, cotton quickly became one of the most important crops produced in Carolina.

The Dominion of Carolina was divided into a number of provinces and territories. The largest and most populous as of 1810 was the Province of Albemarle, also known as North Carolina. Albemarle’s capital, Newbern, was renowned for its cultural power, being called “the Athens of the South” by some. Though suffering a massive fire in 1792, destroying much of the city, Newbern remained the capital of the province. Albemarle would eventually be partitioned, the western half of the province becoming the new Province of Cumberland.

The Province of Clarendon, also known as South Carolina, was perhaps the most prominent province of Carolina. The dominion’s capital, Charlestown, was also the capital of Clarendon. Though much smaller than its northern cousin, Clarendon sported a comparable population. Clarendon’s slave population was the largest in Carolina; Slavery was a common practice in all of the provinces of Carolina.

The Province of Georgia was an outlier among the organised provinces. Its population was much smaller, and had acted as a penal colony for many years. This purpose stretched all the way back to James Oglethorpe's original vision for the colony. An unfortunate divergence from Oglethorpe's vision, however, was the practice of slavery. Georgia had a huge slave population considering its whole population.

The territories of Carolina included East and West Florida, the Indian Territory (also known as the Mississippi Territory), the Bahamas, and Cuba. The Governor-General of Carolina as of 1810 was John Drayton of Charlestown.

A Map of Carolina, 1810.

Last edited:
Is the capital of Clarendon going to move to a more central location like OTL or is it going to stay in Charleston? It moved in 1786 in OTL to settle tensions between the settled east and the more rural west. I think that similar factors would cause a move to TTL's Columbia (Georgetown?) at some point. Unless the rural west gets split off into the province of Piedmont at some point.