The Dog Days Are Over: An earlier independent, Hohenzollern Norway

Griswoldi

Banned

AN00099434_001_l.jpg

[A metaphorical comic showing the great powers at the Congress of Vienna.]

divider-7.png

January 14th, 1814, Danish envoy Edmund Bourke, British envoy Edward Thornton and Swedish envoy Gustaf af Wetterstedt were all in the city of Kiel, busy at hand negotiating a peace. This peace was heavily in spite of the Danish, who had been the loser of the short war. The Danes were supporters of the French Empire (although one could argue they weren't the most willing accomplices), while the Swedes and the Brits were members of the Sixth Coalition (the group tasked with taking the French Empire down). While Denmark was given back it's islands by the United Kingdom - except Heligoland - and also given Swedish Pomerania, they were forced to cede the Kingdom of Norway in it's entirety [1] to Sweden. Battered and bruised, the Danes could do nothing more but accept the peace being thrust upon them. Despite the treaty officially ceding Norway to Sweden, Norway was actually not yet in the hands of Sweden. Taking advantage of the fact, on January 30 Christian Frederick, Crown Heir of Denmark, declared himself the rightful King of Norway. This began the Swedish-Norwegian war of 1814, known by the Norwegians as the War of Independence or the Norwegian Revolution. The two armies began to fight a bloody war. The Swedish were richer, more powerful, and had more numbers than the Norwegians. But the Norwegians were fighting in their homeland, and for a real cause - their freedom. The war quickly turned into a stalemate, with the invaders unable to gain much ground. This is partially due to the majority of the Swedish troops being sent down south, to fight in Germany [2]. This was in contrast to the entirety of the Norwegian Army, which, while less equipped, had most of their troops there with them.

While this war waged in the north, another one was waged in the south. The Sixth Coalition fought tooth and nail against the French Empire, and victory was close in hand. The allied forces entered Paris on March 30th, and crept closer and closer to taking the French down. Finally, on April 6th, Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte abdicated his throne; later he would be exiled to the island of Elba. Louis XVIII was restored to the throne, bring the Bourbons back to power in France. Within a week, the members of the Coalition, along with some other nations, began to redraw the map of Europe and restore peace after so much fighting.

In May, the Treaty of Paris, part of what would be called the Congress of Vienna, was signed by the participants of the Napoleonic Wars. The Swedish delegation and the Norwegian delegation, who had showed up seemingly uninvited but by sheer force of will managed to get into the meeting [3], the only nations in the group still at war, refused to recognize each other, and continually bickered through out the meeting. This led to the Great Powers of the Congress, (Austria, Prussia, Russia and the United Kingdom) deciding to intervene. Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington and delegate from the United Kingdom, as well as the delegate from Prussia, Karl August von Hardenberg, both offered their support to the Norwegian delegate, Frederik Gottschalk von Haxthausen, one of the most influential members of the Norwegian Revolution. In the end, it was decided that as a former officer of Napoleon, Bernadotte was lucky that he kept the throne of Sweden at all, and the Swedish delegate, Count Carl Löwenhielm, was forced to sign a ceasefire and on behalf of Sweden, recognize Norwegian independence. The one stipulation of this agreement was that the current claimant to the throne of Norway, the Crown Heir of Denmark, must abdicate. The Norwegian delegate was more than happy to agree to such, as the Crown Heir's plan was to reunite Denmark and Norway after the Revolution. The leaders of the revolution were against such an action. Von Haxthausen was deemed by the Congress as a sufficient regent, and placed in charge of the Storting, a parliamentary group. Officially, he took the title of Prime Minister, and delayed choosing a monarch as long as possible in order to help the fledgling Kingdom gain order and establish a constitution and a government. In doing such, for almost an year Norway was Monarch-less; it was frequently called the 'Kingdom without a King' in this year. During this year he interviewed many candidates, such as Prince Karl Theodor of Bavaria, and Wilhelm Friedrich of Prussia [4]. Von Haxthausen specifically favored Wilhelm Friedrich; a second son of the King of Prussia, it was unlikely that he had much of a future, and indeed, he was willing to be a candidate in the election of the new monarchy (with his father's approval). While he was young, von Haxthausen saw that as a plus - he had plenty of time to develop a Norwegian identity, and could be controlled by the Norwegians a lot easier while their state started it's beginning years.

In between the time it took for the Norwegian Storting to choose upon a King, the rest of the world was quite busy. The redrawing of Europe was a tenuous task as best - and it was only the tiredness of war from the Great Powers that kept them from fighting each other immediately. Tsar Alexander I wanted all of Poland, King Friedrich Wilhelm wanted all of Saxony, and Austria wanted neither of those things (but wanted all of Lombardy and Venice). The British delegate secretly informed King Friedrich that the British and Austrians would support a Prussian Saxony as long as he disagreed on a Russian Poland. King Friedrich agreed, and the Duchy of Warsaw that Napoleon pieced together was reformed into the Kingdom of Poland, with Frederick Augustus I of Saxony placed on the throne as compensation for the loss of Saxony, which was given in whole to Prussia. King Friedrich agreeing ended an opportunity for Talleyrand, the Frenchman who wanted to negotiate the peace in favor of France, to gain access to the Congress. This would lead to harsh terms imposed on France - such as the Grand Duchy of Tuscany being given the island of Corsica, elevating it to the Kingdom of Corsica-Tuscany. The Austrians were given control of Lombardy and Venice, under the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia. This avoided a Great War between the powers, but angered Russia greatly. The Congress was briefly interrupted when news came of Bonaparte's death on Elba. Although it was ruled a death by natural causes, supporters of Bonaparte were very suspicious [5]. Nonetheless, it came as a relief, as most feared that while alive, the former Emperor could return and grasp power once more. In Norway, however, on June 1st, 1815 the Storting came to vote upon who would be the first King of the newly established Norwegian Kingdom. Prince Wilhelm Friedrich was voted to be King of Norway with a 92/169 majority. Three weeks later, on June 21st, Wilhelm entered Olso. His arrival was met with much celebration and cheer; once he was crowned, there would be no doubt that Norway would be independent. A parade was thrown, with Wilhelm in the front, followed by the highly respected members of the Revolution, and then the Norwegian Military [6], and in front of the newly built Royal Palace of Oslo, and tears were in the eyes of many of the citizens as he was crowned Vilhelm Frederik I, King of the Norwegians [7], the Wends and the Goths. The sound of clapping overtook the heir as the people cheered - the four hundred years of darkness was finally, finally over. [8]

divider-7.png

[1] - A minor POD, the lands of the Norwegian Realm are kept with Norway though.
[2] - The main POD. IOTL Bernadotte was urged to send more troops south to fight in Germany against the French, and ITTL he listened. This means less troops in Norway, meaning less of a win on Sweden's behalf, stretching the war long enough to where the rest of Europe, tired of the fighting, ends it for them.
[3] - In fact, Gottschalking became a popular word for crashing a party later on. What the world doesn't know is that he was told to come by the Danish delegate, who supported an independent Norway under themselves against a Swedish Norway.
[4] - The very same Wilhelm Friedrich who would become Wilhelm I, Emperor of the Germans. It didn't seem likely that he would become King of Prussia, and was more than willing to take a crown where he could get it. The British, who at the moment counted the Prussians as their greatest ally in Europe, are sort of squirming in their seats, but unwilling to act against in order to show face.
[5] - He was poisoned, by order of the Archduke of Austria.
[6] - The Norwegian Military is the remnants of the forces left from the old Dano-Norwegian Armed Forces. Basically, all Danes went back to Denmark.
[7] - 'King of the Norwegians' was an important change from other monarchs, who would've gone with 'King of Norway'. This enforced the idea that he was the King of the people before the actual state. 'The Wends and the Goths' was a standard Scandinavian styling.
[8] - 'Four hundred years of darkness' was the translation of the Norwegian term for the union, which IOTL would be coined by literary writer Henrik Ibsen later on in the century. In this timeline, it's coined by von Haxthausen.

Last edited:

Griswoldi

Banned
Well howdy! Long time alternate history nerd here, with what (I think) is a rather original idea, starting in my favorite part of history - the Napoleonic Wars! I've read a few post-Napoleonic timelines focusing on what could've gone different (and with the chaos that was Europe, a lot could've), but i've never read a timeline on the nation of my heritage, Norway. Personally, I think 1814 could've been the start of an independent Norwegian state, and i'm excited to shape some history in order to see what the world could've been like with it.

I picked Wilhelm I as the King of Norway because it will cause hella butterflies with him (not) being the first German Emperor. I feel as if it's a solid choice; the Prussians were at the time the 'good guys', Wilhelm doesn't have much of a chance of taking the Prussian throne because his brother is alive and ready to succeed his father, and although he's only 17, I feel as if he could have a nice long reign with some help from older figures. Along with that, a younger King would be easier for the Norwegians to control while their state gets it's start.

Enough with the rambling though, I hope you guys enjoy it! Any criticisms (hopefully constructive), ideas, or just thoughts are welcomed! :D

Last edited:

Griswoldi

Banned

Untitled_9.png

[Map of Europe after the Congress of Vienna. Notable differences: Independent Poland and Norway, Corsica added to the list of secondary Habsburg territories, and all of Saxony in Prussian hands.]

divider-7.png

The Congress of Vienna had, more or less, failed in doing what it was meant to do. 'A grand redrawing of Europe, in order to restore balance!' as Austrian politicians had stated, was not what had occurred. Austria and Prussia had engorged themselves on the leftovers of the Holy Roman Empire, which had been dissolved during the Third Coalition and conveniently not restored. The two had instead set up a 'German Confederation' with themselves at the helm. Prussia had swallowed Saxony whole, and placed the King of Saxony on the throne of Poland, creating a buffer and puppet between itself and a very angry Russia. Austria had gobbled up most of northern Italy, and what was leftover was in the hands of distant relatives. The Austrians had set up a 'North Italian Confederacy', crafted using the Kingdom of Corsica-Tuscany and the lesser Duchies under Habsburg rule. This union was, in all honesty, a puppet of Vienna. The North Italian Confederacy threatened a hegemony over the northern Italian Peninsula, creating large tension between the House of Habsburg and the House of Savoy, who wanted that hegemony for themselves. The Hohenzollerns had done very much the same - placing little Wilhelm on the throne of Norway, causing a feud with an angry Sweden that wanted compensation for loss of Finland to Russia.

King Vilhelm I was not only ready, but rather eager to begin his ascent into being King. Although Prime Minister Frederik Gottschalk von Haxthausen had done a decent job piecing together the young nation, it still wasn't complete. With a population of just over nine hundred thousand, Vilhelm knew his country wouldn't be a Great Power by any measurement. And that quite frankly worked in his favor; the Norwegians, while fiercely nationalistic [1] and proud of their new found independence, were not all too sure what to do next. And Vilhelm, with the help of von Haxthausen, would use that to his advantage. Vilhelm thought of himself as a man of the future, especially at his young age, and planned on making a reformed state. And the first step to that was a constitution; the two, with the help of British Prime Minister Robert Jenkinson (who was quite young himself) the Constitution of the Kingdom of Norway was written and signed. It was heavily based on the British constitution; with the King holding slightly more power than the British monarchs. This constitution was modified off of the one written in 1814, and restricted the King from being monarch over any other major country (i.e. colonies and the like did not count). The constitution officially annexed the Faroe Islands and the island of Iceland into the Kingdom, and gave both seats in the Storting, based upon their populations. [2]

The Norwegian Armed Forces, while patriotic, were not very professional, equipped or high in numbers. Norway was left with whatever the Danes didn't snatch from them after the split; 30,000 men and 150 gunboats were used in the Norwegian Revolution. 27,000 of those men had decided to stay, and became the core forces of the Norwegian Army. Vilhelm had decided that much like Brits, the Kingdom needed to focus on naval power; the only threat to the mainland was Sweden, and the mountainous borders between the two were heavily defensible. At the same time, he and Gottschalk both had agreed that too much naval activity would be seen as a threat to the United Kingdom - something that they both had come to realize was not a good thing. While they had some leeway (the Anglo-Prussian alliance still stood strong, and it was only with British approval that Vilhelm had come to the throne), they also knew that a smiling face would only take them so far. The Kingdom's budget wasn't very high either - they were mostly operating off of the money given by Denmark during the independence movement (which, ironically, after the Crown Heir lost power in Norway, had become a sour point between the two nations) and money borrowed and owed to Great Britain and Prussia. Despite this, King Vilhelm decided to up the navy, and, with the remains of the money borrowed from the Danes, began ordering what was needed to build a Black Prince Class Ship of the Line. He bought the rights from the UK with his own personal funds. HSMS [3] Hohenzollern would become the flag ship of the Norwegian Royal Navy for almost the entirety of the century.

divider-7.png

[1] - Before any outcry of 'Nationalism in 1816? PLS!' are made, I would like to point out that Norway had heavy proto-nationalism at this time, and it's independence strengthened it.
[2] - Iceland's basis for independence was that it was part of Norway, and not Denmark, so when Denmark kept it after they split, it had no reason to be part of Denmark anymore.
[3] - His Sovereign Majesty's Ship; wrote to differentiate it from the Royal Navy as well as imply the Sovereignty of the NRN.

Last edited:

Griswoldi

Banned
This update wasn't very interesting, mostly just logistics and the like. Next update will begin a transition into a more story-like format, with King Vilhelm as the main character for a while, and really get into personalities and stuff, as well as delve into the Swedish-Norwegian rivalry (which replaces the Swedish-Danish rivalry of OTL). In the next couple of chapters I plan to add in Billy's 'reforms' of Norway. He was very liberal actually, agreeing to the constitution and all IOTL, and it was hard for him to really shine in a conservative kingdom like Prussia.

While I have the world sketched out generally how I want it to be for the next century, I do have a few issues. One of which is who would be a good candidate of King Vilhelm's future wife. Another is how likely an earlier Belgian revolution (which is going to happen) could spark an even earlier 1848 with even stronger consequences.

Enjoy, and again, feel free to point out anything that may be wrong or whatnot!

Very interesting stuff here! No 100 days could cause butterflies in the USA-UK war I suppose.
Also I find your north Italian confederation intriguing: maybe it will prove to be not so subordinate to Vienna's interests? IOTL the next Grand Duke of Tuscany, Leopold II was rather liberal and loved by the people, might he become the rallying point for an Italian unification?

In 1814 Joachim Murat was still King in Naples, and without 100 days I think he would stay on the Austrians' side. Was he removed?

Back to Norway, the Kingdom has great prospects (fisheries, timber, iron, later hydroelectric power and oil) if it can keep Sweden at bay and somehow increase its population. Is it too early to think of colonies?;)

Keep up the good work!

This update wasn't very interesting, mostly just logistics and the like. Next update will begin a transition into a more story-like format, with King Vilhelm as the main character for a while, and really get into personalities and stuff, as well as delve into the Swedish-Norwegian rivalry (which replaces the Swedish-Danish rivalry of OTL). In the next couple of chapters I plan to add in Billy's 'reforms' of Norway. He was very liberal actually, agreeing to the constitution and all IOTL, and it was hard for him to really shine in a conservative kingdom like Prussia.

While I have the world sketched out generally how I want it to be for the next century, I do have a few issues. One of which is who would be a good candidate of King Vilhelm's future wife. Another is how likely an earlier Belgian revolution (which is going to happen) could spark an even earlier 1848 with even stronger consequences.

Enjoy, and again, feel free to point out anything that may be wrong or whatnot!

have been a pretty good timeline, out of nowhere, an never seen before premise and pretty original, and pretty well made so far.

Wilhelm Wife? an british or a russian woman? both are option, or a catholic princess(poland,austria) if accept conversion?

Griswoldi

Banned
Very interesting stuff here! No 100 days could cause butterflies in the USA-UK war I suppose.
Also I find your north Italian confederation intriguing: maybe it will prove to be not so subordinate to Vienna's interests? IOTL the next Grand Duke of Tuscany, Leopold II was rather liberal and loved by the people, might he become the rallying point for an Italian unification?

In 1814 Joachim Murat was still King in Naples, and without 100 days I think he would stay on the Austrians' side. Was he removed?

Back to Norway, the Kingdom has great prospects (fisheries, timber, iron, later hydroelectric power and oil) if it can keep Sweden at bay and somehow increase its population. Is it too early to think of colonies?;)

Keep up the good work!

Heh, you struck quite a few nails on the head right here. Especially on the North Italian Confederation, but i'll wait until later to talk about that. Murat is still in power in Naples, although it won't last for too long. The people in Naples aren't very happy.

Back to Norway: they have quite a few things that could work for them to be honest. My thoughts are with both Norway and Greenland, they could have a nice little oil monopoly when the time (i'm not sure when I could introduce this exactly, if anyone has any knowledge of when it would happen) comes. As well, they could, like OTL, do good with Merchant Marines. Sweden is a huge problem in the meantime, and population wise, well, i'm not sure how'd I'd accomplish it, to be honest.

Colonies are always a bright spot in alternate histories, but yes. I plan on having a small colonial empire for Norway (besides the North Sea islands). I don't want to go for a cliche 'Small Nation Congo', so i'm thinking an alt. Scramble for Africa with a Norwegian colony somewhere on the east coast, maybe Tanzania?

Griswoldi

Banned

100772.jpg

[Painting of Akershus Castle, home to the Norwegian Storting and place of the daily meeting of Prime Minister von Haxthausen and King Vilhelm I.]

divider-7.png

Royal Palace, Olso, Norway - Feburary 3rd, 1817
"Your Majesty, as much as it displeases me, I think an alliance with Denmark is in the cards." Prime Minister Frederik Gottschalk von Haxthausen had a grimace stretching from one ear to the other as he began his daily meeting with King Vilhelm. "Sweden is an angry lion to the east, and we don't know how much longer it'll be distracted by the bear to it's east."

"We seem to have ourselves in quite a pickle." Vilhelm said with a chuckle. "Although we can leverage Russia to our advantage, I think."

"Well. What do you mean?"

"Sweden is divided on whether to make us their number one enemy for declaring independence, or to make Russia their number one enemy for stealing Finland. It's a very interesting situation, is it not? And while we cannot openly ally Russia, as fate is aligning it against our brothers to the south [1], we could, in theory, provoke it. Poke the bear with a stick on Sweden's behalf."

"You mean to sabotage Sweden?"

"No, no, of course not." Vilhelm stood up, shaking his head in disapproval. "I just meant that we could help escalate the tensions, and work it in our favor."

"Well, I.. Perhaps we could arrange a diplomatic incident." The Prime Minister sighed, although he did see the cleverness in playing Russia and Sweden off of eachother. The King was barely an adult, and already had the signature slyness of a Prussian. Hauxhausen decided to keep an eye on the boy - he wasn't sure if he'd be as easy to manipulate as he originally thought.

"Good. Now, about the matter at hand... send someone to Copenhagen. It displeases me also, but an alliance with the Danes might be invaluable to us." Vilhelm sat back down and gave a grin, leaning forward in his chair. "Now, my dear Minister, how did the other matter I ask you about go?"

"You mean, beginning trade deals with Sardinia and Tuscany? Yes, I have. They've already began importation of lumber. However, like I mentioned last week, I think the future of trade is -"

"No. The 'United States' is just a bunch of upstarts, who bargained with the late French Emperor and have gained the ire of Britain. Those who trade with them gain the ire of Britain. [2] My dear Minister, gaining the ire of Britain is not something we want, is it?"

"Well, no, but I don't see the harm -"

"This is one issue on which I will not back down. The Brits are the biggest threat to us, and it is a policy of appeasing them that we must pursue."

"Yes, Your Majesty." Hauxhausen grumbled, giving a short bow. "Is there anything else we need to discuss at the moment?"

"No. You are dismissed." Hauxhausen gave another bow before stalking out of the room, a displeased look on his face.

divider-7.png

Paris, France - April 1817
In France, the restored Bourbon monarch Louis XVIII was soon to be in for a rude awakening. Without any threats to their power [3], the Bourbons had dismissed the Revolution as a fluke, a glitch in the system. They'd quickly returned to their previous way of ruling, including massive taxation of the people in order to repay their war debts to the former members of the Coalitions against the French Empire.

Louis Philippe I, a member of a cadet Bourbon branch and Duke of Orleans, had reconciled with his cousin Louis XVIII, but, in secrecy, held him in complete contempt. Philippe [4] was using it to his advantage. Although the rulers of Europe had designated a return of the Ancien Regime, the people of France remembered the Revolution, and a restoration would not trample their hearts so easily. Philippe schemed to ride this wave of Revolutionaries right to the throne, and take France for himself. The French people were ready for revolution once more, and it was almost ripe for Philippe's taking.

divider-7.png

[1] - 'Our brothers to the south' was what King Vilhelm referred to the Prussians and the Kingdom of Prussia itself as. It is said that Vilhelm, despite embracing the role as King of Norway, held more loyalty to Berlin than he ever did to Olso. That was one thing the Norwegians weren't so happy about.
[2] - Vilhelm's refusal to trade with the United States was actually one of the biggest impediments to the Norwegian economy. Another thing the Norwegians would sigh in relief about after his demise.
[3] - Such as a return of Napoleon.
[3] - I'm just going to lay this part out, in order to see how plausible it is. Basically no return of Nappy = worse Bourbon restoration = earlier (and lasting) July Monarchy = earlier and very alternate Spring of Revolutions. That's been my plan since the beginning.

YES!
I am following this from now on, it looks awesome!

With independence so early; might Norway fully become Britains lapdog, will the danes reassert their domain, can Sweden vassalize them or will the country finally be free?

:D:D:D:D:D:D