The Diamond Map Thread

Edit: on second thought, I think all HOI mods have done is take over from GURPS. We really do need to go back to doing covers of those scenarios, they really are interesting and I haven't seen anyone talk about them in ages.
I hadn't thought about this a whole lot before, but not only was GURPS one of my entry points into AH in general, it was Diamond's adaptations of GURPS worlds that got me into AH mapmaking.

Saving a bit of early AH.com history: a lot of these maps are no longer extant on the site, and Diamond was one of the big dogs of map making in the early days.

Found another, BTW.

Diamond:
Inspired by DominusNovus and his awesome maps, I did up my own version of a water-world. Here, a large meteor impacted Antarctica at some point around 20,000 BC, resulting in the vaporization of much of the pack ice on the continent, raising the ocean level significantly. The impact also triggered massive world-wide earthquakes which, among other things, caused the whole eastern portion of Africa to separate from the rest and the Rift Valley was inundated by the sea.

The cultures are vaguely analogous to those of our world in about 1500 AD. Note that the Americas are completely devoid of human life. I picked 20,000 BC for the POD because its comfortably in the middle of what anthropologists believe might have been mankinds first migrations into the Americas (anywhere from 10,000 to 40,000 BC seems to be the consensus at present). It's next to impossible to accurately date the stone tools of the Lithic tribes, so I've probably got some latitude here.

fl-eartha-gif.2294

Saving a bit of early AH.com history: a lot of these maps are no longer extant on the site, and Diamond was one of the big dogs of map making in the early days.

Found another, BTW.

Diamond:
Inspired by DominusNovus and his awesome maps, I did up my own version of a water-world. Here, a large meteor impacted Antarctica at some point around 20,000 BC, resulting in the vaporization of much of the pack ice on the continent, raising the ocean level significantly. The impact also triggered massive world-wide earthquakes which, among other things, caused the whole eastern portion of Africa to separate from the rest and the Rift Valley was inundated by the sea.

The cultures are vaguely analogous to those of our world in about 1500 AD. Note that the Americas are completely devoid of human life. I picked 20,000 BC for the POD because its comfortably in the middle of what anthropologists believe might have been mankinds first migrations into the Americas (anywhere from 10,000 to 40,000 BC seems to be the consensus at present). It's next to impossible to accurately date the stone tools of the Lithic tribes, so I've probably got some latitude here.

fl-eartha-gif.2294
Now this is something that could revive the cover project!

Might lengthen this thread by adding other (non-Diamond) good old maps I have copies of but which have gone AWOL from the site due to link rot.

OK, starting with some work by Nugax. First a couple early but still impressive efforts:

Here's another map for 1860-70 based of an Infante Miquel suriving to maturity PoD, its something of a Nederlands-wank though most of the Dutch territories are now mostly independent (the dutch settler colonies are German majority). This is just after a devestating Anglo-French war that the French 'won'.

19rhvvK.png

And this, his very first on the forum:

The PoD sees Charles VII dying early on and France crumbling into Burgundian and southern camps whilst the English, after falling out with the Burgundians, give up on France as a bad job expect for strategic channel territories...and then stuff happends for four hundred years or so

umOwGu3.png

What is the Kingdom of Tilemark?

A *UK dominion, 'Tile' being a Gaelic word for Thule/iceland (as well as turning up in other languages) and 'mark' from the Germanic root for borderland. I figured it would be the name ascribed to the Arctic Archipelgo that spread to refer to all of UK North America and used in the eventual creation of a polity.

Last edited: