The Death of Russia - TL

Sorry. New test :
Good morning. This is my first intervention on your site. I am French and I use machine translation. I'm just on the target list for the April 10 nuclear attack. I see that the Baikonur space base was hit, but at the start of the alternate history it was stated that China had moved there. This installation being gigantic, can we imagine that only the control center is destroyed and that the technical sites are recoverable?

Thanks you :)
I am on the forum of French-speaking Uchronies (Forum des Uchronies francophones) or a correspondent translates the other history of Sorairo. Hence my listing here:

Sorry. New test :
Good morning. This is my first intervention on your site. I am French and I use machine translation. I'm just on the target list for the April 10 nuclear attack. I see that the Baikonur space base was hit, but at the start of the alternate history it was stated that China had moved there. This installation being gigantic, can we imagine that only the control center is destroyed and that the technical sites are recoverable?

The infrastructure was mostly destroyed but the local skilled Kazakh workers and transportation leading to the site was mostly okay, so it made sense to rebuild there.

@soreiro. Thanks. 6,717 km2, 16 launch pads for rockets therefore 5 in activity according to the Wiki..
I'm only reading page 135. I was surprised to see the 1st RPIMa in charge of releasing Eurodisney. The French army can support anti-terrorist operations on the national territory, but in the front line is the GIGN and other special units of the Gendarmerie, and the RAID (Research, assistance, intervention, deterrence) of the national police. The Algerian civil war in the 90s resulted in several large attacks in my country caused by Algerian Islamists and the diaspora of this country, one can imagine that they are multiplied in your story, because the Algerian government depends a lot on Russia's military plan. And that it will be necessary to wait for the American intervention in the Caucasus for the West to officially help the military junta in Algiers.

Culturally, I really liked the thumbnails on Japanese manga like Berserk, Love Hina, and Evangelion.

I think such a cataclysm will make a recent branch of Japanese animation that makes war seem like child's play never appear: Girls und Panzer, High School Fleet, maybe even Strike Witches. In a world where nuclear war is raging, these scenarios would be in bad taste and would never have been realized, or even proposed.

Last edited:
On a cultural level, I really liked the thumbnails on Japanese manga like Berserk, Love Hina and Evengelion. I think such a cataclysm will cause a recent branch of Japanese animation that makes war seem child's play to not exist: Girls und Panzer, High School Fleet, maybe even Strike Witches. In a world where nuclear war is raging, these scenarios would be in bad taste.
if i could put my berserk shill hat on for a second, i do think the events of this timeline would have an impact on berserk. the hundred years war is over in the manga by the time the second russian civil war starts, but i think a lot of the stuff that comes after would have special resonance. in particular, the main villain of the conviction arc, father mozgus, is a fanatical priest that brutally persecutes anyone who violates religious doctrine, and presides over a slum full of refugees who live in horrific squalor. OTL mozgus is a bit of a comical character; while he's very evil, he's also quite hammy, and his absurd religious devotion is sometimes played for laughs. with fascist atrocities against religious minorities fresh in everyone's minds mozgus might be a much darker character, with his evil played deadly seriously- particularly as his main goal eventually becomes burning an ambiguously brown woman at the stake. farnese's arc at the conviction tower might also focus more on her observing the church's atrocities and deciding they're wrong; there's some of that otl but it might be more pronounced here

For France, with its years of tension and the nuclear strikes it received and sent, I speculate that the second Charles de Gaulle class nuclear aircraft carrier will be built. The abandonment of conscription in 1997 is certainly postponed until the 2010s at best.

During the nuclear war, France had 5 Le Redoutable class SSBNs (with 4 batches of 16 M20 missiles, 6 150 kt warheads), 18 IRBM S3 with a single 1.2 Mt warhead on the Plateau d'Albion in Vaucluse, and Mirage IV and Mirage 2000N bombers equipped with ASMP tactical missiles (400 km range, warheads up to 300 kt). It is only on the aviation side that we can see a rise in vector power in less than three years.

The French Air Force had only 11 KC-135s at the time, and in reality bought 3 more in 1997. 18 Mirage IVs had been modernized out of the 30 still in service, 60 Mirage 2000Ns entering in service. It can be estimated that the rest of the Mirage IVAs should also be brought up to the IVP standard and Dassault adds around twenty 2000N. Transall transport planes transformed into tankers can be parked in Eastern Europe discreetly.

With the electromagnetic pulse over European Russia and the multiple missile defense explosions there. North America. I think all the satellites above the area are out of service. And that many electrical networks on the ground are affected. Telecommunications networks will take years to repair.

With the electromagnetic pulse over European Russia and the multiple missile defense explosions there. North America. I think all the satellites above the area are out of service. And that many electrical networks on the ground are affected. Telecommunications networks will take years to repair.

The lingering radiation would also be a danger to any electronics in the area.

I don't know if "all" of the satellites above the area of a nuclear strikes would be out of commission, especially if the nuclear bombs were detonated low to the ground.

The EPA estimates that detonating nuclear weapons above ground sends radioactive materials as high as 50 miles (80 km) into the atmosphere, where it then falls as fallout. Satellites in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) can typically have an altitude between 160 and 2,000 km.

Unless the Russians deliberately detonated nuclear bombs at at altitude of 80 km or higher then the satellites should be relatively unharmed.

Ground based telecommunications would be severely damaged though and would certainly require a significant amount of time and money to repair.

It is well indicated that the Western nuclear offensive begins with an big EMP to destroy the network of commands of the two Russias, explosion in space therefore. And that US missile defense uses nuclear warheads (in the 1960s, Bomarc missiles had 7 kt warheads), explosions in the stratosphere and mesosphere.

Last edited:
What are some pre-1993 pop culture works that would have aged poorly in this timeline?

Agree with previous answers + such superhero stories about their origins which involve radioactivity like Spiderman etc.

Just wondering how people would see Schindler's List. And would the Pianist still be made.