The Death of Russia - TL

Ironically, war crimes actually lessened during this time, as there was no time to mess around
Depopulated cities, towns, villages. Oh god, what the fuck?!

Finally, on the morning of January 27th 1996, he entered Anpilov’s bunker office and was made Foreign Minister of the Russian Soviet Republic. He accepted the role and went to the Foreign Ministry in Stalingrad (whose work had moved underground due to constant chemical weapon attacks). That evening, the KGB stormed the ministry, arresting Lavrov for being a Fascist spy in his role as Foreign Minister. As he was dragged out of the compound, he was simply thrown against the wall and riddled with machine gun fire until his lifeless corpse sank into the snow
Speedrun

Along with the Tories downfall, it seems like Clinton is doomed to be defeated in a landslide unless he pulls some Tom Clancy shit and has American spec ops take down both the Nashis and Communists and singlehandidly avert a nuclear war. I highly doubt Bob Dole is going to get the nomination cause he's not the guy that inspires comfort and strength in a time of apocalyptic stakes. I'm really hoping that Colin Powell gets nominated and wins the Presidency. America needs a Washington/Lincoln figure to rally the country, and Colin as a decorated veteran and previous leader of the armed forces has all the qualities, experience and personal character to lead the United States moving forward in further dealing with Russia or rebuilding. Plus the election of the first Black President is a big and uplifting W that America needs in this shitty decade. While this is going to result in a likely Republican victory, I can easily see Ross Perot getting some EVs thanks to Clinton drain and lots of voters blaming both parties for the state of the world.
I think McCain is better suited for that role.

I think McCain is better suited for that role.

McCain would be indeed seen more suitable for 1996 candidate than Powell. And IIRC Powell was bit relucant to run anyway. Powell probably could anyway serve on McCain's cabinet perhaps as secretary of defense or secretary of state.

Ah, yes, the man made horror beyond recognition continues full steam ahead.

Though one silver lining for me is that the Yakuts managed to struck a decent deal. They do not achieved independence, but at least they got the next best deal. Gotta be honest, I'm on the more sympathetic to them here. Feels bad for the Buryats for having much worse deal on their hand.

Ah, yes, the man made horror beyond recognition continues full steam ahead.

Though one silver lining for me is that the Yakuts managed to struck a decent deal. They do not achieved independence, but at least they got the next best deal. Gotta be honest, I'm on the more sympathetic to them here. Feels bad for the Buryats for having much worse deal on their hand.

Probably treatment of Buryats is small backlash for Aksyuchits. Not serious but many are not seeing that positively either.

Sakha hardly would had been very viable as independent nation in long term anyway so joining to Siberia was probably good option.

I wonder if this TL version of CoD or Battlefield would have games with settlings based on the war later on. Considering how epic and bloody it's become so far

Sakha hardly would had been very viable as independent nation in long term anyway so joining to Siberia was probably good option.

Not totally true. Sakha sits on a ton a diamond deposits so there'd be a good chance a Yakut nation could've existed, albeit probably as property of De Beers or something.

Not totally true. Sakha sits on a ton a diamond deposits so there'd be a good chance a Yakut nation could've existed, albeit probably as property of De Beers or something.

Normally I would agree but when you are dealing with such people as extremist shamans it is really hard to see independent Sakha being success story. And even at best it would be under thumb of foreing diamond and oil companies like Iran was during shah's reign.

Any reason why Medvedev is with Nemtsov and not with Stalingrad or Petrograd, considering the fates of Putin and Lavrov ITTL?

Any reason why Medvedev is with Nemtsov and not with Stalingrad or Petrograd, considering the fates of Putin and Lavrov ITTL?

On that time Medvedev had close connections with Sobchak. Perhaps Sobchak went to Kaliningrad and Medvedev went after him.

Or perhaps Medvedev just didn't feel NFL regime being his thing.

On that time Medvedev had close connections with Sobchak. Perhaps Sobchak went to Kaliningrad and Medvedev went after him.

Or perhaps Medvedev just didn't feel NFL regime being his thing.
Probably the latter, since Putin was also close to Sobchak, yet he stayed behind and sided with Anpilov

Also, you wish Russia was taken over by the National Football League. That would be a crazier, but at least less bleak timeline

Probably the latter, since Putin was also close to Sobchak, yet he stayed behind and sided with Anpilov

Also, you wish Russia was taken over by the National Football League. That would be a crazier, but at least less bleak timeline
I think it's more that Putin didn't want to leave Mother Russia for dead more I'd think.

Having the NFL take over Russia would be a funny asb tl.

This is going to interesting places. The fall of stalingrad being a likely catalyst for a nuclear exchange, albeit a hopefully limited one due to the utter disrepair of the soviet nuclear weapons and launch systems. It does give a slight bit of hope that a ICBM has a lot of points of failure. I expect some to not launch, plenty to miss their targets completely or blow up in the sky and a good number to be duds.

As for Babchenko, I think the disparity between how he claims to be totally dehumanized and how he brings up moments of despair can be explained by his memoirs being written much later, with him either embellishing some things, focusing on certain memories or misremembering some things. I do hope that section eventually involves a certain vladimir dieing a completely pointless and amusing death at some point though.