The Death of Russia - TL

I would be really surprised if someone refugee wouldn't write book about all of these horrors perhaps like Elie Wiesel's "Night" or any other Holocaust survivor.

Or perhaps someone survivor of the war, who has lost his/her whole family, finds diary of their deceased family member and decide to publish that (basically Russian version of Anne Frank).

With European Russia in turmoil and the up coming economic depression, do you think that the politics of Belarus would change significantly?

When Russia began to collapse, Shushkevich would likely have been in power like in OTL and he is said to have wanted to implement social democratic reforms.

Lukashenko took office in 1994 IOTL and he oversaw an authoritarian government while reinstating Soviet-era imagery, repressing political opponents, and censoring media.

Even if Lukashenko does become president of Belarus, he wouldn't be able to rely on foreign support and the actions of the communists in the "Second Russian Civil War" would make Soviet imagery harder to reinstate.

But the economic turmoil could just as easily allow Lukashenko or some other opportunists to assume power and rule through force.

Ming777

Monthly Donor
It already changed early on just as the NSF began to crack.

TLDR: Belarus is effectively free of Moscow and has its own nuclear deterrence in cooperation with Ukraine, US, UK, and Israel

Considering Nevzorov is more of a "first amongst equals" within the collective leadership in Petrograd than a strongman dictator, what position does he officially hold within the regime? Is he de jure the President of Russian National Republic or something like that?

I wonder how the violent and painful death of Russia as an existing state would affect the North American, Anglo, and Western European scholars and academics as well as how it will affect Tom Clancy's writings as well as Marvel and DC comics which will be affected also.

Marvel and DC comics

I think that that both will want to stay clear of the Second Russian Civil War for a few years while the fighting is still hot but they'll eventually use it for plot points, background for characters, and maybe inspiration for new characters.

Some characters with ties to Russia could end up going back to support their favored side, like KGBeast and Proletariat joining the Russian Soviets and Anton Arcane joining the Russian Nationalists.

The comics that take place in the past (like, it's currently the 90s but the comics take place somewhere between the 60s and 80s) could implement a lot of "foreshadowing" to the events in Russia. Like, SHIELD and any other acronym group could start paying close attention to growing extremist groups in Russia for example.

If the Russian Soviet and Nationalist states still existing going into the 21st century, they would be a convenient source for unambiguous bad guys and for tragic characters.

I wonder how the violent and painful death of Russia as an existing state would affect the North American, Anglo, and Western European scholars and academics as well as how it will affect Tom Clancy's writings as well as Marvel and DC comics which will be affected also.
If Superman : Red Sun is still made, perhaps there is more emphasis on America collapsing before Lex Luthor comes. That's just my thoughts though.

Also, to recap, we have practically Nazis, Communists, an exile government, a russian alexander the great, neo-pagans, and a christian democracy.

Something tells me this would make fertile ground for grand stategy games. "A country ablaze" or something.

Given the current pace i'd give it until '97 at most until there will be a few nukes flying.
(There could also probably be an escalation mechanic in the game, first using conventional weapons, then chemical, biological, and finally nuclear)

The comics that take place in the past (like, it's currently the 90s but the comics take place somewhere between the 60s and 80s) could implement a lot of "foreshadowing" to the events in Russia. Like, SHIELD and any other acronym group could start paying close attention to growing extremist groups in Russia for example.
I wonder how Black Widow would react to her homeland dying

I wonder how Black Widow would react to her homeland dying

I think it depends on the comic continuity.

In most continuities, I could see her be saddened by her countrymen killing each other and that the attempts at reforms failed so miserably. Maybe Marvel tries to do a "is she going to betray SHIELD?" storyline but later it's revealed that she was stealing money and equipment to smuggle refugees out of Russia.

In Ultimate Marvel, where she was a traitor who sought to destroy the US because it "crippled and turned Mother Russia into a bankrupt nation of hookers and gangsters," I could see her double down on her hatred of the US.

In the MCU, at the time of the Collapse of Russia, Natasha would have been undercover in Ohio with Yelena Belova, Alexei Shostakov,and Melina Vostokoff while Shostakov and Vostokoff were tasked with stealing data from North Institute.

With the violent collapse and fracturing of Russia, who knows how this could have gone and who would "inherit" the Red Room.

If Red Room is inherited by the Soviets or the Nationalists, then Natasha's training would be the same but her assignments would be targeted at enemy Russian states. If Red Room is inherited by the Russian Federation in Kaliningrad, she could be in a position where she aids SHIELD against spies from the Commies or Nazis.

Edit: Adding "Natasha gets to grow up happy" timeline.

Or maybe Red Room collapses, allowing Shostakov and Vostokoff to take the girls and defect. They work for SHIELD and both Yelena and Natasha get to grow up as (mostly) normal girls.

Last edited:
And in such a timeline, the fact that my OTL self narrowly avoided being called "Yuri" by my parents, after Yuri Gagarin, will be one hell of a blessing. This forum's Italian members will surely be able to confirm this fact, that there seems to have been an explosion in Russian/Slavic names in the late 1980s and early 1990s, even by parents that didn't vote for the PCI. I know at least one Ivan and one Yuri, and none of them have a drop of Russian blood in their veins. :p
Ironically, at the same time the same thing happened in East Germany with English names.

There also was and still is a lot of post-reunification prejudice against Easterners here and... long story short, Kevin is the stereotypical "Kraut trash" first name in 2022 Germany.

Last edited:
Or for some reason, Lebed's Siberia, for that matter.

There would be a few secret organizations that were based in or had storage locations in Siberia since it's so remote and inaccessible. Siberia would be in a better position to claim these facilities than Kaliningrad would.

Siberia was also the location of the Winter Soldier Program so maybe they can do something with that instead. Well, that would be Hydra and not a Russian/Soviet government institution, but the thought remains.

With the violent collapse and fracturing of Russia, who knows how this could have gone and who would "inherit" the Red Room.
I think the guy in charge of the Red Room at the time would have more then enough resources to set up his own warlord state and maybe even reunifie Russia via hidden daggers.
That would actually be a interesting setting to add to Marvel earth.
Secret assassin organization ruled country that is actually the decent option to a degree.