The Death of Russia - TL

Tankies would be facinating here.

"The Soviets beat the Nazis all by themselves! The Soviet Union was flawless! Please ignore the gutted and possibly radioactive remnants of thier rule!"

Between this and Yugoslavia, anti-Communism just got a big shot in the arm.
The issues with Tankies is that their blief system is, for all intents and purposes, a religion. Their arguments are entirely faith based. So even the total collapse of Russia would not be enough to get rid of them, or even significantly reduce their number.

They'll probably argue that it was all the fascist's fault, and the West's, and, should they be feeling particularly anti-semitic that day, the Jews'.

So the raving lunatics will still be raving lunatics. Nothing will really change.

Tankies would be facinating here.

"The Soviets beat the Nazis all by themselves! The Soviet Union was flawless! Please ignore the gutted and possibly radioactive remnants of thier rule!"

Between this and Yugoslavia, anti-Communism just got a big shot in the arm.
They'd probably be mad at Khrushchev as well, claiming his program of de-Stalinization was what led to the Soviet Collapse and that hardline Stalinism would have definitely saved the Union even with Anpilov's insanity (funnily enough, the official line Anpilov and co have about Khrushchev is probably similar to my comment on what tankies would be claiming ITTL).

Last edited:
The events in this TL would just cause i think just 3 more schisms in communist movements.
As for Tankies i think they will be centered more around saying that the USSR wasn't real communism and switch to simping other more clean authoritarian states like China,Cuba,Yugoslavia and the myriad examples of not completely evil because they where short lived african/asian communists.

For the Far Eastern Kingdom, the best way that I can put it is that the United States deals with states with religion controlled states that are considerably less weird. Would it be easier to be a Jew in the United States or Israel rather than the FEK, probably. Lebed doesn't seem particularly anti-semetic, though...

Especially with how he has a Jewish second-in-command and all that.
In the long term though, Lebed is going to have to deal with Muslim majority/controlled countries more than the FEK will. So *longer* term, the FEK may be more comfortable than whatever Lebed's country will be.

Which reminds me, with all of the Russians running from Russia *and* Kazakhstan welcoming them, what does the ethnic balance look like in Kazakhstan? I thought that iOTL they were almost not majority Kazakh at the time of independence.

Imagine that if the civil war/collapse ended as well as tremendous economic impacts, will there be implications or effects for the rest of the EU whereas the expansion will be more likely to be delayed up until the late 1990s or into the early 2000s?
My prediction is the European Union might delay the set date for the introduction of the Euro since the global economy was affected by a civil war in Russia and the United Kingdom might or might not adopt the Euro currency.

Imagine that if the civil war/collapse ended as well as tremendous economic impacts, will there be implications or effects for the rest of the EU whereas the expansion will be more likely to be delayed up until the late 1990s or into the early 2000s?
My prediction is the European Union might delay the set date for the introduction of the Euro since the global economy was affected by a civil war in Russia and the United Kingdom might or might not adopt the Euro currency.

At least euro would be adopted in smaller phase as in OTL. Perhaps only just founding members + Austria are going adopt euro firstly.

This has some really intresting effects on neigboring ocuntries. For Finland this might mean even longer recession. Politically it is probably bit different. Finland might has moderately right-wing government in 1990's. And some Finnish politicians would have different career since them have lesser connections to Russia.

There might be some nationalist ambitions to take pre-Winter War borders back but it probably won't catch on government since pretty few want such things back anyway. And ITTL probably even lesser since these areas would are ptoentially full of nashis.

It is a bit back and forth. On one hand, then a lot of Eastern European countries will be even more determined to join EU, Nashist / Soviet Russia will be way of an unpredictable threat, OTOH, the global depression will be mean that a) they will significantly poorer (and by extension more lawless/corrupt) and EU will have significantly less resources to throw at them. Even without Eastern expansion, the depression will cause increased tensions either within the EU or within the net contributor countries (Germany, UK, France, Benelux) and might lead to an earlier Brexit.
OTOH, the disruption of the world economy at the very least would make those pushing for a more state-centered economy stronger in their arguments by wrapping their arguments in the banner of "economic stability" with the Second Great Depression and all that.
In which case the second great depression would be prolonged, just as the New Deal prolonged the effects of the first Great Depression.

In general thought, war times in the 1990s would likely promote a "rally round the flag"-effect and consensus economic policies. For instance, the Eastern European tradition of "always electing the opposition" might be stopped and in Western & Southern Europe, there might be less political change during the 90s.

Anyways, looking forward to which way, Sorairo will take this. If his last (and great) story is anything to go by, a few choice mushroom clouds are coming up.

The issues with Tankies is that their blief system is, for all intents and purposes, a religion. Their arguments are entirely faith based. So even the total collapse of Russia would not be enough to get rid of them, or even significantly reduce their number.

They'll probably argue that it was all the fascist's fault, and the West's, and, should they be feeling particularly anti-semitic that day, the Jews'.

So the raving lunatics will still be raving lunatics. Nothing will really change."
"guys i swear stalin did nothing wrong, it was kruschev and gorbachev you should hate!111!!111 HEI- i mean HAIL STALIN!!!!!!!"

Also, something tells me South Korea and China will have far more tension than OTL given that China is North korea's overlord now.....

There would be more tension but there might be a whole lot less missiles being launched just off the coast of Korea and Japan and threats of violence every time a famine comes around.

Do you think that China keep North Korea as a puppet state that is officially "independent" for the UN vote or will they incorporate it into the People's Republic of China.

If China does incorporate North Korea, I could see them calling it the Chaoxian Province.

Last edited:
Do you think that China keep North Korea as a puppet state that is officially "independent" for the UN vote or will they incorporate it into the People's Republic of China.

If China does incorporate North Korea, I could see them calling it the Chaoxian Province.
I'd say incorporate it. They are not keen on having to come back down again in case some new NK dictator does a stupid and starts down the Kim path.

I'd say incorporate it. They are not keen on having to come back down again in case some new NK dictator does a stupid and starts down the Kim path.
Incorporating NK is a dumb move.

They would be integrating a extremely Militant Nationalistic and Xenophobic population it would be Partisans galore.

Secondly such a move would remove the buffer they have from the US and its clients in the region putting American troops right on the border while pissing Washington off.

They have every reason to prop up a nice obedient puppet state to maintain a buffer from the American sphere of influence and save face with the international community

Last edited:
They have every reason to prop up a nice obedient puppet state to maintain a buffer from the American sphere of influence and save face with the international community
Emphasis on obedient.

The Kims' regime devolving into a nation of starved fanatics and starting a war really hurt China's prospects for influence in the area. The Norks managed to get Japan and Korea to get along and now they have another ally in the region with the FEK.

I figure that North Korea would end up a Chinese province in all but officially, maybe even have Han Chinese settle there, but the country is still "independent".

Emphasis on obedient.

The Kims' regime devolving into a nation of starved fanatics and starting a war really hurt China's prospects for influence in the area. The Norks managed to get Japan and Korea to get along and now they have another ally in the region with the FEK.

I figure that North Korea would end up a Chinese province in all but officially, maybe even have Han Chinese settle there, but the country is still "independent".
There's also the fact they did a lot of damage to China's international image. LIke I said, they don't wanna repeat of this.

There would be more tension but there might be a whole lot less missiles being launched just off the coast of Korea and Japan and threats of violence every time a famine comes around.

I can't see China annexing NK. It would bring more troubles than it is worth of annexation. So it just would keep as puppet state and under observation.