The Death of Russia - TL

Seeing Lebed's Siberia do alright (not necessarily well, just alright and making progress) brought a tear to my eye. I suppose when everything's so dark, even a dim light can be the brightest thing around.

Whatever is better than that hellhole of Nashi/stalinist Russia. It is just horrible starvation, diseases, war, death and destruction. It is like Hell on the Earth. Survivors will have severe PTSD and serious alcohol problem even worse than many OTL Russians. And most horrible thing is that this is going to affect even these generations who will born several years after the war. Civil war is always horrible thing. It is just often national tragedy which leaves deep scarves.

The romance and heroism of Lebed’s war in Siberia is perfectly contrasted with the sheer, unrelenting horror of the war in the West. Dark, if engaging stuff.

The romance and heroism of Lebed’s war in Siberia is perfectly contrasted with the sheer, unrelenting horror of the war in the West. Dark, if engaging stuff.

Beside leaders of ethnic republics Lebed, Nemtsov and Aksyuchits seems only one warlords who care at least in some dgree about their people.

Barkasov and Anpilov are just piece of shit who care about their own power and creation of their own personal cults. No matter if their people are starving and killed on insane war.

Ming777

Monthly Donor
At the rate things are happening, Chernobyl and Pripyat may be re-built and cleaned up before Moscow ever would.

The greatest irony was that Russian/Soviet Ambitions for dominance in geopolitics made them amass one of the largest nuclear arsenals in the world. And that very arsenal, the biggest reason it was still relevant in geopolitics, prevented the World from stopping Russia's self destruction in this Timeline.

Tbf I'd think we'd see novels and books about the western hired Mercs running through Russia at this point.
Beside leaders of ethnic republics Lebed, Nemtsov and Aksyuchits seems only one warlords who care at least in some dgree about their people.

Barkasov and Anpilov are just piece of shit who care about their own power and creation of their own personal cults. No matter if their people are starving and killed on insane war.
At this point European Russia would be broken already. They're using chemical weapons at this point, and I think we'd see them use tear gas too just to make things for their adversaries more hard (I mean it's easy to buy).

I think we're going to see a few nukes fly. What targets will they hit tho? Imagine both the fascists and communists both nuking their respective capitals out and at the end NATO has to go in to stop the war and see the devastation that is Russia.

Ming777

Monthly Donor
With the huge costs involved in resetting millions of refugees, maintaining their armed forces (that now also have the cost of maintaining nukes) and the regions economic problems, I can't see Ukraine looking at that cruiser and think it's worth the effort. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see much point in it.
Honestly, those two ships may be worth selling to say India or someone else. Get rid of them from the drydocks so the Ukrainians can build more useful ships, civilian and military, as well as get more funding to move towards NATO standards of equipment.

I have a feeling that while Ukraine, Latvia, and Estonia may not get full membership at this time due to Russia's schemes prior to the collapse, b they may be aspiring members.

I also see a potential for Ukraine to work with India regarding military equipment depending how things pan out.

PS: One potential change for Star Trek by the mid 90s maybe something like the Cardassians suddenly undergoing civil war between the Detapa Council and Hardliners even as the threat of the Dominion loomed for Deep Space 9. The Detapa council becomes a rump state, while the Hardliners take over and even pushes toward Maquis space, only for Hardliners to undergo its own division which leads to a massive humanitarian crisis in the former Cardassian Union. For Voyager which started in 1995, I could see the potential of stories analogous to the chaos as the Russians collapsed.

Last edited:
In the meantime, the nearby NSF paramilitary force that kept order in the town was attacked by a separate group of mercenaries, led by one of the most legendary fighters on Earth. Swashbuckling French mercenary ‘The Warrior King’ Bob Denard, whose exploits in Africa were so vast that no one book could contain them (though getting shot through the head after running into North Koreans in Benin after trying to storm the presidential palace and surviving while marrying the woman who nursed him deserves highlight), had pulled every contact he had to join the most monumental war since WW2. A man built for war, he laughed maniacally as they came under fire from the paramilitaries. His comrades were his admirers and friends from the French special services, many less than half his age, who found themselves laughing alongside him. As Karpukhin grabbed the sample and told headquarters that the mission was a success, they headed back to the helicopter. Everyone in Denard’s group returned except for Denard himself. For a few minutes they waited, as paramilitaries began to swarm the chopper’s location and the craft was forced to deploy miniguns to defend itself, the sample itself grazed by a paramilitary bullet. Finally, just as the helicopter was about to leave, Denard waddled back with two wounds to his legs, getting out successfully in what would be his last mission. When asked why he had taken so long, he explained that he saw the town’s main Lenin bust and went there to destroy it since ‘I’ve fought that fucker all my life’, causing a delay in his return. Regardless, the sample was appropriately destroyed, and the world’s governments breathed a sigh of relief that Smallpox would remain dead.

What a character! I am surprised I have not heard or read of mr Denard before.

"Order was slowly but surely returning to Siberia, despite the indescribable famine that had fallen upon the region that had already left millions dead." - some good news, if at a horrific cost.

"At the same time, the Mongolians finally decided the time to make a move in Buryat was now." - I suspect it's actually too late.

"Vladimir shot the old man in the head. He had survived Hitler, Stalin, the Cold War, even Barkashov, but the one who would finally kill him would be some middling KGB goon who would forget the old man’s existence by the end of the day." - and that highlights just how fecked up the Moscow front is.

"We had unleashed the demon of chemical weaponry. We had ours, the Fascists had theirs." - yup it only gets worse.

Question for @Sorairo - how is Europe coping with the disruption to the supply lines from Russia? I know there was a lot less in the 90's but as I recall there was some?

However, the separatists were not about to go into the night, as Tuvan troops under Shoigu began to prepare for the next conflagration in Russia.
I am sure this will be a quick victory for Lebed, especially with Shoigu's OTL record as Putin's Defense Minister and his horrendous corruption.

I am thinking about the fate of the Vladimir Lenin’s corpse in the Mausoleum where he might be cremated or buried as their building could be pulverized into debris as two-way war will be destructive?
What will happen to the corpse and regarding the fate of museum artifacts which would be smuggled out or either destroyed by heavy shelling?
I’m thinking that China is more likely to take numerous Russian refugees, especially in the fields of engineering, rocketry, and in the military to upgrade the equipment and use whatever leftovers of Russian technology when Russia collapses into bloody war with anarchy in the east of the Urals and intense destructive fighting in the west of the Urals.

Tbf considering lebed's desire to take back Russia fully in a tl called 'the death of Russia' he shouldn't realise his goals should he? Does he die from something later in the story or exiled?

Tbf considering lebed's desire to take back Russia fully in a tl called 'the death of Russia' he shouldn't realise his goals should he? Does he die from something later in the story or exiled?

The Sarin's already come out to play in Moscow so nukes aren't too far off. Lebed likely gets caught in the crossfire of a limited exchange within Russia that leaves European Russia a wasteland with warlord states the size of the average Oblast while Siberia gets off a bit light.

What targets will they hit tho? Imagine both the fascists and communists both nuking their respective capitals out and at the end NATO has to go in to stop the war and see the devastation that is Russia.
And as a final "f**k you", they also try to target Kaliningrad, Chelyabinsk, and Vladivostok as well.

Part 2: The Rebirth of Russia
If "The Death of Russia" is a grimdark tale of a collapse of a country, "The Rebirth of Russia" would be an optimistic tale of a well-meaning man wanting to reunite a country that everyone else has given up on.

Question for @Sorairo - how is Europe coping with the disruption to the supply lines from Russia? I know there was a lot less in the 90's but as I recall there was some?
The world has entered a Second Great Depression owing to the mass uncertainty following the world's largest nuclear power imploding. The supply lines being shut are the other major contributing factor.