The Death of Russia - TL

@Sorairo , also, you didn't exactly clarify this, but what is the religion of the Nashi movement? Theocratic Russian Orthodoxy(similarly to Franco's Spain and Imperial Japan) or Gottglaubig/deism(Hitler's Germany and Mussolini's Italy) or outright SS-style neopaganism?
Apparently it was an unholy mix of Russian conspiracy theories plus a façade for something that could imaginatively be called Russian Orthodoxy. Anyway that stopped mattering when they converted to Turnerism (as in the Cult of Earl Turner).

Last edited:
@Sorairo , also, you didn't exactly clarify this, but what is the religion of the Nashi movement? Theocratic Russian Orthodoxy(similarly to Franco's Spain and Imperial Japan) or Gottglaubig/deism(Hitler's Germany and Mussolini's Italy) or outright SS-style neopaganism?
Elements of both - but a strong sense that God (be it the Christian or some neopagan) was on their side and it was their duty to cleanse Russia of foreign influence and minority groups.

Probably not big changes. POD is only six months away Cobain's suicide and it has not much if any effect on him. And even if Cobain not commit suicide, whole 4/6 event might be too much for him.
Would 4/10 have completely nuked the teen pop resurgence of the 1990s-2000s or would it have been boosted by the escapism rampant in the West after 4/10?

Counterpoint
People already knew Cobain was mentally unstable and a drug addict, wouldnt the news make his close ones more wary of leaving him to his own devices?

Counterpoint
People already knew Cobain was mentally unstable and a drug addict, wouldnt the news make his close ones more wary of leaving him to his own devices?

Cobain's friends and relatives hardly had knowledge how badly situation was becoming. Real hell became only just at end of 1994 when it was already too late with Cobain.

Something I was thinking about recently: what if Aksyuchits reached out to the US for assistance when the FER declared its independece, instead of carving his own path? Is it possible the US would have accepted this? If so, could the FER have become a US territory in this TL or even a state?

Something I was thinking about recently: what if Aksyuchits reached out to the US for assistance when the FER declared its independece, instead of carving his own path? Is it possible the US would have accepted this? If so, could the FER have become a US territory in this TL or even a state?
No, since that would be an act of war against two extremely unstable nuclear-armed governments. For better or worse, the FER was at the time still regarded as part of "Russia," whether that meant Petrograd or Stalingrad. Not to mention that I'm fairly sure the people of Vladivostok would have simply plopped him in an asylum if he tried that, since that's actually slightly more erratic behavior than "God commands me to restore the Far East Republic."

Why would the local population accept either of those two things? To begin with, the Americans would not have helped (at the level of "The United States Federal Government Mobilizes") even if Aksyuchits really asked for help. And "Oh, the economy will be better" would not seem like a sufficient argument for joining a country that is even more strange, distant and colonialist than the Soviet/Russian administration itself was. And no, in the United States no one would want to have to annex Russian territory and give them votes and seats, it would be seen as something similar to integrating Imperial Japan.

And no, in the United States no one would want to have to annex Russian territory and give them votes and seats, it would be seen as something similar to integrating Imperial Japan.
I agree it wouldn't happen, but that is because one side would think this would give them an advantage and the other side would oppose that. The two sides would figure out who benefitted and the other side would just ensure it never came up to a vote. If they didn't have control of the House and Senate, they would filibuster their admission it in the Senate.

USA wouldn't recognise FER. It saw Gaidar's government legal government and didn't support dissolution of Russia. And why USA would want ever annex Far East? And Far Easterns never would accept being part of USA.

Would it actually be better? I think it would be quite a money sink, especially in the beginning.
Sorry, that particular comment was in reference to my skepticism that the FEK people would accept being annexed by the United States without complaint if they were promised that it would improve their economy. Which seems to be a very common argument on this forum.

Thank you all for the reception to my comment. I apologize on my part for not clarifying something. When I referred to the FER declaring independence, I meant post-North Korea's invasion.

Another thing- if either the Communists or Fascists had won their part of the civil war without it devolving into nuclear war (as unlikely as that would be), could those states have actually lasted as institutions, or were doomed or collapse? Personally, I think they couldn't have lasted due to Anpilov's insanity and the crazed ideology of the Fascists.

Another thing- if either the Communists or Fascists had won their part of the civil war without it devolving into nuclear war (as unlikely as that would be), could those states have actually lasted as institutions, or were doomed or collapse? Personally, I think they couldn't have lasted due to Anpilov's insanity and the crazed ideology of the Fascists.
The question is how they deal with the other breakaways and the ethnic republics. Chechnya, Circassia, Ossetia, the Tatars--each would have an interest in getting friendly with the other nuclear powers or Lebed (I think Lebed might be able to reach an understanding with the Ural breakaway countries). Ukraine might "misplace" a few bombs that end up in Circassia's or Chechnya's hands, and that deterrence would keep the winner from doing something to finally draw in a NATO intervention. A Red victory seems like it would result in a more stable outcome--Giant North Korea--while a Fascist victory...they're inherently more irrational, believing in literal magic and mysticism as geopolitical factors, and so more likely to act in self-destructive ways thinking they'll turn out alright because of the divine mission of the Russian people or something (not that the Immortal Science of Marxism-Leninism is much less irrational, by the end).

I'm inclined to say the Reds could keep a neo-Stalinist status quo going indefinitely, while the fascists would eventually attack someone and spell their own doom.