The Death of Russia - TL

YA novel?
Believe it or not for next year I'm writing my own novel which is more than enough decompression. In fact it's the reason I wanted to finish before New Year's so I could start next year with a clean slate. It's about a shy, forlorn middle-school-age boy who hates himself because of how weak he is, who gains the help of a delinquent tomboy who takes pity on him to build up his confidence by teaching him, typically by throwing him into wild settings, how to be more confident and 'manly' like her. To those who know anime, imagine Shinji from Evangelion meets a female version of Kamina from Gurren Lagan at school.

(if I decide to do another TL which is not guaranteed) a hopefully more cheery TL.
Your taste in Berserk and Evangelion makes this timeline even better!
1639665604389.png

Last edited:
In all honesty that could have gotten a lot worse for the world.

Yes lots have been lost but civilizaiton and humanity survive.

For those wondering how DC and Marvel Comics would be affected by 4/10, I doubt that they will be severely impacted until 1997 at the earliest. Marvel was prepping for the Onslaught event when it happened and Heroes Reborn as well. There might be some small alterations given that production time for comic books is less than television and film Onslaught saw large portions of New York City destroyed, which might hit too close to home given NYC's near-miss. Unfortunately, I can still see Marvel filing for Chapter 11. As for characters, Colossus of the X-Men will be the most impacted and poor Pete already went through enough trauma in the 90s. His parents were murdered, his little sister died of the Legacy Virus, and now (part of) his homeland is a radioactive ruin.

DC will be less impacted in the short term. Grant Morrison's JLA came out that year and we might see the medium trend towards a more escapist Silver/Bronze Age outlook to distract children and I could see a new Superman film getting pushed through production for that reason.

No South Sudan? No Timor Leste? No border arbitration between Ethiopia and Eritrea? Elsewise, it looks normal

I'm not familiar with Timor Leste (I would assume they would go like OTL) but South Sudan never goes independent as America removed the offending regime manually in Sudan and didn't want to look like excessive meddlers so they enforced the existing borders like they did OTL in Iraq.

No South Sudan? No Timor Leste? No border arbitration between Ethiopia and Eritrea? Elsewise, it looks normal
I'm not familiar with Timor Leste (I would assume they would go like OTL) but South Sudan never goes independent as America removed the offending regime manually in Sudan and didn't want to look like excessive meddlers so they enforced the existing borders like they did OTL in Iraq.
Will fix only Timor at least, remember to point out any other mistakes.

Come on guys @athgtq16129 change the map at least four times!

Can at the least give him a break?
No, because to me, making maps is, no jokes intended, a form of therapy, deep inside, I don't want to finish any of the maps that I make, because working on them makes me very calm, and the border changes of the maps inspire stories and scenarios that I think of, and not the other way around, and since my maps are also personal hobbies, I really do not like sharing them with the public, but this timeline is an exception, it has been so fantastic and has inspired me so much that I decided to make a map about it, and also hear your critiques on them.

Just look at how many versions and edits of the Union of Soviet Sovereign Republics I did on "Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread", that I even lost count of how many maps I made!

No, because to me, making maps is, no jokes intended, a form of therapy, deep inside, I don't want to finish any of the maps that I make, because working on them makes me very calm, and the maps themselves also inspire stories that I think of, and not the other way around, and since my maps are also personal hobbies, I really do not like sharing them with the public, but this timeline has been so fantastic and has inspired me so much that I've decided to make a map about it, and also hear your critiques on them.

Just look at how many versions and edits of the Union of Soviet Sovereign Republics I did on "Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread", that I even lost count of how many maps I made!
I just want to give you some break cause the Map your make is fantastic

No hard feelings to you mate

I wonder what early-mid 2000s FPS game culture would be like in this timeline, for some reason since this timeline began, it has always reminded me of the early days of Counter Strike 1.6, Counter Strike: Source, Half-Life 2, Garry's Mod, and Source Engine games and mods in general, these are games with a massive number of Russian players who were very important in maintaining its servers, mods, maps, communities, and subcultures, as well as having lots of non-Russian players who became used to Russian people and culture (me included) because of how prevalent Russian players and settings have always been in these games, Half-Life 2 itself has a dystopian, anachronistic post-Soviet Russia aesthetic to it, whereas its beta version was supposed to have a more dark NYC-style setting that was never used, but looks great as its own different game.
0c3613c9cf9d9c6f62bca5f153e0af75--valve-games-half-life.jpg

At least for me this timeline really evokes an early 2000s Counter Strike vibe, when I was younger playing it, stumbling upon all of the Russian players and servers, Russian/Soviet-themed maps, the Western & Eastern Russiaboos who played it, and also the Nazi and Communist role-players (Russian and non-Russian), it was around that time that I got into the history of the Chechen wars, the wave of terrorist attacks in Russia, and the Neo-Nazi/Skinhead scenes in Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus.

Given all of this, back then I was surprised that Russia avoided a similar fate as Yugoslavia did, it feels to me that these Source games are themselves from a timeline where some sort of Second Russian Civil War happened.

Call of Duty 4 til MW3 also features a Second Russian Civil War, but a more cliche one of generic Soviet nationalists/Nazbols fighting against the current Russian government.
20170401203207_1.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder what early-mid 2000s FPS game culture would be like in this timeline, for some reason since this timeline began, it has always reminded me of the early days of Counter Strike 1.6, Counter Strike: Source, Half-Life 2, Garry's Mod, and Source Engine games and mods in general, these are games with a massive number of Russian players who were very important in maintaining its servers, mods, maps, communities, and subcultures, as well as having lots of non-Russian players who became used to Russian people and culture (me included) because of how prevalent Russian players and settings have always been in these games, Half-Life 2 itself has a dystopian, anachronistic post-Soviet Russia aesthetic to it, whereas its beta version was supposed to have a more dark NYC-style setting that was never used, but looks great as its own different game.

At least for me this timeline really evokes an early 2000s Counter Strike vibe, when I was younger playing it, stumbling upon all of the Russian players and servers, Russian/Soviet-themed maps, the Western and Eastern Russiaboos who also platted it, and also the Nazi and Communist role-players (Russian and non-Russian), it was around that time that I learned about the history of the Chechen wars, the terrorist attacks in Russia, and the Neo-Nazi Skinhead scenes in Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus, given this, I was surprised that Russia avoided a similar fate as Yugoslavia did.

Call of Duty 4 til MW3 also features a Second Russian Civil War, but a more cliche one of Soviet Nazbols or whatever fighting against the current government.
A lot more depressing/ dark tone FPS games because of the pessimistic '90s trend and 4/10 still in living memory

Also a unrelated note, TDoR world will ABSOLUTELY HATED For all time TL world that regular used nukes in Wars