The Death of Russia - TL

Perhaps I misread the latest update, but aren't the Pushkingrad government and the revived Russian Empire the same thing?

The Pushkingrad government was given nominal control of most of European Russia but kept the capital in Pushkingrad for practical reasons. The Romanov claimant was then made head of state of Pushkingrad government, but he were coronated in Novgorod instead of Pushkingrad for symbolic reasons.

Perhaps I misread the latest update, but aren't the Pushkingrad government and the revived Russian Empire the same thing?

The Pushkingrad government was given nominal control of most of European Russia but kept the capital in Pushkingrad for practical reasons. The Romanov claimant was then made head of state of Pushkingrad government, but he were coronated in Novgorod instead of Pushkingrad for symbolic reasons.
Yeah, the last update said that.

The Pushkingrad Government only remains because someone should be blamed and pay reparations for the damages after 4/10 and 2RCW. Out of this, nobody cares, nobody knows.

Is like Taiwan, but worse, because at least Taiwan is important in an economic sense, and is not rounded by neighbours who hate them (yeah, they had one annoying neighbour, but is only one).

Wasn't Cheyenne Mountain designed to withstand a direct nuclear blast?
In theory, yes, but the issue is, well, direct blast, possibly from a nuclear bunker buster or something designed to crack the Mountain is uh, hard to resist.
One last point: It really has been quite open to question how many operators of nuclear missile silos would actually turn the key, if the order came to launch. IIRC different exercises have suggested that, even when faced with death, a non-trivial number of operators simply would not launch. When the bluff of deterrence is apparently called, they simply do not want to respond by inflicting potentially megadeaths indiscriminately. IIRC this is a problem for some governments.

We thankfully have had no nuclear wars, so we have no data. I can believe that many missile operators really did decide not to respond to their own deaths by visiting death on others, no matter what oaths they took.
Yeah, that's kinda the issue. Nobody wants to kill that many people and risk even killing all life as we know it.

Especially given we've had a few incidents where we nearly launched but didn't. Kinda weighs on your mind. Nobody wants to be the idiot who mistook a regular rocket launch for WW3's opener.

A few thoughts. The St Petersburg Metro is very deep, I think people would have survived.

The direct radiation from the bomb, especially Ɣ-rays is immense, but the land is not uninhabitable afterwards. The short-lived radionuclides are much more radioactive than long-lived ones, but they disappear quite quickly. In the 1st few weeks, 95% of the problem is 131I, (because an Iodine-deficient individual's body is actively trying to absorb Iodine from the environment.) & absorption can be blocked by saturating your body with Iodine before you arrive. With a half-life of 8 days, 131I is <1000 after 3 months, < 1 trillion within 12 months.

I would expect Finland, Estonia & Latvia, Belarus & Ukraine to be generous in helping themselves to any territory about which they might have a vague historic claim; they will ask the handful of remaining people, but most will prefer to remain part of a functioning state.

Reparations will presumably mean the UN managing royalties from resources & paying reparations from these funds.

There have been a number of proposals to increase the number of permanent members of the security council, but new members wouldn't have a veto. India, Brazil, Japan & Germany have been suggested. IOTL, China would probably veto Japan & India, adding Germany without those 2 makes it too eurocentric & then the proposal collapses. Nonetheless, it was possible to change the representation of China. I expect that ITTL, the various Russian factions compete for the UN seat, offering to give up the veto.

I understand and support the reparations program. However, knowing the Washington Consensus that became a thing after the collapse of the USSR, I could see the occupiers quickly exploiting European Russia for their own benefit just like OTL post-2003 Iraq. It won't be like West Germany where the US had an interest in ensuring a strong, stable economy there in order to counter the USSR. The occupiers are going to make European Russia as weak as possible which means exploiting it to the hilt. So I'm really not optimistic about the future of that place.

I understand and support the reparations program. However, knowing the Washington Consensus that became a thing after the collapse of the USSR, I could see the occupiers quickly exploiting European Russia for their own benefit just like OTL post-2003 Iraq. It won't be like West Germany where the US had an interest in ensuring a strong, stable economy there in order to counter the USSR. The occupiers are going to make European Russia as weak as possible which means exploiting it to the hilt. So I'm really not optimistic about the future of that place.
Yeah it will basically be the Iraqis insurgency but worse and with Nuclear fallouts to booth

Considering Limonov and Yazov are the highest-ranking survivors who got tried at the Hague on the Nashist and Stalinist sides respectively, it makes me wonder who else on the two sides survived to be tried at the Hague.

Don't be fooled by the cut to April in the last section - there's still a lot that will happen just in the four months of the year alone.

"Three Sisters"
You really nailed Biden's mannerisms here, though I'm immensely dissapointed you didn't find room to sneak in a "malarkey" lol.

For whatever it is worth, when I went over to Nukemap and tried a 100 kiloton airburst, the results were three thousand dead. When I upped it to one megaton, you had a "mere" doubling. Keflavik may be quite accessible to Reykjavik and I am sure its destruction will impact that city, but happily Keflavik is sufficiently remote for Iceland's metropolis to survive intact.

I really am curious, now, as to what Björk would make of this. More, how would this impact the Icelandic music scene generally, or indeed Iceland?
I stand corrected, I am surprised though.

The Pushkingrad Government only remains because someone should be blamed and pay reparations for the damages after 4/10 and 2RCW. Out of this, nobody cares, nobody knows.

Is like Taiwan, but worse, because at least Taiwan is important in an economic sense, and is not rounded by neighbours who hate them (yeah, they had one annoying neighbour, but is only one).
And like us, I bet there will be talks of changing name to "repulic of Puskingrad" by 2020s, but unable to do so due to reparation issue and not want to lose the UN seat.

Ming777

Monthly Donor
FWIW, it is possible some of the nuclear warheads that did hit underperformed due to poor maintenance or some other reasons (ie. Detonating with only 50% of design yield) which might have reduced the casualties a bit, though it may mean more fallout from unreacted fissile material.

Kargil War got butterflied away.
And Islamists are going be hunted down all over the world, far moreso than OTL.
Al-Qaeda nuking an City after 4/10 happened is equivalent to Country persecuting the Jews after the Holocaust

It will be now unacceptable and heavily loath by everyone to view

Al-Qaeda nuking an City after 4/10 happened is equivalent to Country persecuting the Jews after the Holocaust

It will be now unacceptable and heavily loath by everyone to view
Especially given nobody knows if they have others.

That uh, means you rapidly find yourself without friends.

Nobody wants to be remotely in the same room as a guy who basically is saying "Please dronestrike me and anyone nearby".

Like, if I'm a smuggler, I'm not gonna do shit with AQ because even being in the same room as them leads me getting a one way, all expenses paid trip, to Cuba, with a nice fashionable jumpsuit.

Or what about Pruthenia or Freierepublik Preußen if there might be an official referendum to seal off the fate while keeping the name "Pushkingrad/Pushkinburg" as the better name of the capital?

What's with all of the posts calling to recreate Prussia and Koenigsberg? Is it a meme or are people actually advocating for it?

Unless Germany decides to unlearn its lessons from WW2 and ethnically cleanse Pushkingrad to replace the population with Germans, the ethnic and cultural makeup of this oblast is solidly Russian.

What's with all of the posts calling to recreate Prussia and Koenigsberg? Is it a meme or are people actually advocating for it?

Unless Germany decides to unlearn its lessons from WW2 and ethnically cleanse Pushkingrad to replace the population with Germans, the ethnic and cultural makeup of this oblast is solidly Russian.
Sorry, but I will apologize and I'm now working on building the infobox about the Second Russian Civil War.