The Death Collectors: Bond Films that Never Were

Plot's better but I can't help but feel that Craig and Olga are critical. Would you be adverse to me borrowing a few ideas?

By all means, go ahead! I happen to agree with that assessment, as someone who actually likes QoS (well, save for the action sequences minus the Tosca scene), I think both work very well with each other and give the film needed depth. Were I not actually trying to make some scenarios more different, they would have stood a good chance of being retained as a positive element.

I not sure if it would change enough to affect the plot of any of the movies but what if an American actor did the role of Felix Leiter in multiple films in the 60's?
Not sure who would be the best choice ,
Lord is not going to do the part.
I really can not remember much about any of the other actors that played Felix other then David Hedison and that was the fact that was the only one to play the character twice.
I might see David Jenson take the role .
Anyone else have any ideas?

Probably not much impact overall, perhaps just another addition to the MI6 regulars who, unlike other recurring characters like Villiers or Frederick Gray, happens to meet Bond in the field instead of the MI6 offices. I do think the younger Leiters might have stood a chance of a spinoff - probably a failed one - had they become a recurring element and audiences liked them. Out of the original line up only Lord seems to have that potential, and as it was mentioned, he wanted too much to keep doing the part. Even if a Leiter lasts two or three films, he could very well meet the fate of Sylvia Trench: discarded when the character didn't seem necessary.

I probably should have toyed with a long-term Leiter (I suppose there's one movie left in which I can), but it was funnier to try and come up with a new one every time. I even put pre-Airplane Leslie Nielsen there!

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
I was re-reading Paul Darrow's (Avon from Blake's 7) autobiography the other day and his near miss with being cast as Bond, although he later did end up in a Bond film playing a part, but his scenes were cut. He used to share digs with Ian McShane and John Hurt and crossed paths with all sorts of big names.

Quite a fascinating read. I need to get Jacqueline Pearce's one sometime.

Have voted in Turtledoves for this story. Best of luck!

Sargon

I probably should have toyed with a long-term Leiter (I suppose there's one movie left in which I can), but it was funnier to try and come up with a new one every time. I even put pre-Airplane Leslie Nielsen there!
The first time , I showed one of my daughters "Forbidden Planet " , she saw Nielsen and said "So this is a comedy?"
People forget that until Airplane , Nielsen was usually casted as the heavy in the movies ,

The first time , I showed one of my daughters "Forbidden Planet " , she saw Nielsen and said "So this is a comedy?"
People forget that until Airplane , Nielsen was usually casted as the heavy in the movies ,
Before turning to comedy Nielson was very much into drama. Besides FORBIDDEN PLANET he did the movie THE VAGABOND KING plus THE SWAMP FOX for Disney as well as episodes of THE UNTOUCHABLES, THE FUGITIVE, THE WILD WILD WEST, IT TAKES A THIEF, THE MAN FROM UNCLE, HAWAII FIVE-0, THE NIGHT GALLERY and THE FBI among many other TV series.

20. Double Cross (2002)
DOUBLE CROSS (2002)
Pierce Brosnan IS James Bond

M4Kj0PC.png

I don’t get it. Isn’t the car meant to be invisible?”
No, just camouflaged.”
(A discussion on the set of Double Cross, c. 2001)​

Despite high expectations, the aftermath of The World is Not Enough’s release was defined by a sense of disappointment within EON. Fiercely confident that they had a “killer” concept regarding their twist for the main villain, and although praise was directed both towards the twist and its execution by Sophie Marceau (Elektra King) and Pierce Brosnan (James Bond), EON was nonetheless disappointed by the mixed critical reaction to the film, which even turned into vitriol at some of the less popular aspects. Unlike in the 80’s, where diminishing financial returns were very much a problem, The World is Not Enough had done brilliantly at the box office, but it was hard to escape the reviews which, among other aspects, kept up their criticism of the franchise starting to feel tired again despite the film only being Brosnan’s third outing. To make matters worse, the back to back successes of the Austin Powers parody films also invited some ridicule towards the more outlandish aspects of the Bond franchise. Suddenly, using a number of recurring plot elements or characters now seemed like a serious risk rather than an automatic choice.

And the problems didn’t stop at EON. For one part, Brosnan himself was tired of two consecutive disappointments – including the nightmarish chaos of Tomorrow Never Dies -, and, perhaps crucially, he was also frustrated due to feeling that his character wasn’t given enough material and depth to work with. Some progress had been achieved in the last film, only for it to be squandered – so Brosnan thought – by questionable creative and casting choices, leaving a frustrated leading man to ask “where is the character?”. For another, MGM was right at the end of its battle against attempts by the unlikely duo of Kevin McClory and John Calley to start a rival Bond franchise with Sony, ending up in court and a settlement regarding a trade (Spiderman rights for whatever Calley claimed to possess) and pushing the next film back to 2002. Things came to a point in which even MGM pushed for something different, being on the record as wanting a product that could remain financially successful, whilst taking Bond into a darker, more plot driven fashion. For once, EON, Brosnan and the studio agreed with the basic premise of a Bond film, a feat not easy to achieve. The issue was now how to execute such a vision.

With Bruce Feirstein not returning as part of the writing team, it fell to previous scriptwriters Neal Purvis and Robert Wade to come up with a vision for the “darker, grittier” Bond alongside main EON producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson. After a long series of talks – made complicated by an apparent lack of non-convoluted or outlandish plotlines – and despite the franchise’s persistence in not wanting to involve itself in politics, it was decided that North Korea’s totalitarian regime made for a credible adversary in the eve of the 21st Century. Then came the basic premise for the film: Bond being captured – even tortured - and having to deal with the consequences of such a process. Creativity flew as Purvis and Wade even toyed with the notion of centering the film solely around Bond attempting to flee North Korea and return home, only to be told it was simply too different a concept to work. In the end, they settled for an intrigue-based plot, in which a betrayed Bond would be forced to go rogue after his capture, trying to find those responsible whilst foiling a dangerous plot by a rogue North Korean colonel.

A long list of alternatives was looked upon in terms of a director, leading to much disappointment when tentative options like John Woo and Tony Scott declined to participate. Negotiations with New Zealander Lee Tamahori – whom, it was felt, could give the film the necessary intensity – also fell through at the last moment. In the end, Michael Apted was asked to return for a second consecutive film, and despite MGM’s resistance the lack of viable alternatives – despite Brosnan allegedly pushing for more expensive options like Martin Scorsese – meant that Apted prevailed. With the director and storyline settled – though it was now Apted’s turn to provide his own thoughts on the production – it was now time for casting. Having initially flirted with the idea of having the main villain undergo some form of genetic therapy to change his aspect – mirroring the original literary character of Sir Hugo Drax – this concept was nixed as being “too outlandish”, forcing Apted to search a villain that could convincingly carry the film despite being absent for much of it. In the end, he settled for an arrangement similar to that of Goldeneye, with a group of four villains led by Will Yun Lee as North Korean Colonel Moon.

Having decided on two Bond girls – one of them a traitor – the writers and Apted switched between the identity of the traitor as several auditions took place for both roles. In the end, and to Brosnan’s relief, established actress Halle Berry – who would win an Oscar during production – became main Bond girl Jinx, and newcomer Rosamund Pike (who, in spite of a lack of experience, impressed at her audition) became the traitorous Miranda Frost, nixing an earlier concept of introducing the literary character of Moonraker’s Gala Brand. Indeed, as development continued and casting took shape, much of the initial reliance on the novel Moonraker dropped out of focus. After securing a surprise cameo return for Michelle Yeoh (Tomorrow Never Dies’s Wai Lin), the cast was completed with Rick Yune and Toby Stephens as secondary villains, and Harvey Keitel and Emilio Echevarría in supporting roles. In the meantime, much was made of an attempt by EON to secure Madonna to sign the main theme for the film, a move that temporarily failed after some schedule conflicts. With the singer committing herself to the next film, composer David Arnold worked with Icelandic singer Björk to produce the successful main title song, itself heavily inspired by their earlier collaboration “Play Dead”.

Filming took place across early 2002 in England, Iceland, Hawaii, Spain and Hong Kong, a grueling yet mostly efficient experience. Brosnan, having already developed a respect for Apted, was able to work efficiently with the director and push for some of his preferred creative choices, particularly pushing for portraying the consequences of Bond’s torture at the hands of the North Koreans. Berry was also felt to have instant chemistry with the leading actor, and quickly gained further prominence within the film as a result of her Oscar win. For their part, among the rest of the cast Pike was singled out for her performance despite her inexperience. On the less positive front, and despite the apparent commitment to a more serious, darker tone, there were still serious discussions regarding the high-tech aspects of the plot, some of its humor, and the climax of the film, pitting Apted against Purvis and Wade. Even late into production a series of plot points were changed, some due to creative battles – most of which Apted won – and others due to the fall-out of the September 11th attacks. After going through a long list of proposed titles – including Darker than the Sun and Parallel 38, “Double Cross” prevailed as a reference both to it being the 20th Bond film (“XX”) and the betrayal aspects of the plot.

Double Cross’ pre-title sequence takes place in a North Korean military base, which James Bond (Pierce Brosnan) infiltrates to meet with the dangerous Colonel Tan-Sun Moon (Will Yun Lee) and his right-hand man Zao (Rick Yune), who are trading high-tech weapons for African conflict diamonds. Posing as an Afrikaner diamond smuggler, Bond is betrayed by an unknown source and his cover blown, forcing him to detonate a hidden explosive to attempt his escape. Leaving a scarred Zao behind, Colonel Moon pursues 007 in a violent hovercraft chase across a minefield, culminating on Moon falling off a cliff to his apparent death.

Then captured, Bond is taken to Moon’s father General Moon (Kenneth Tsang). Fourteen long and grueling months of capture, interrogations and torture – including the use of scorpion venom - by the North Koreans ensue, portrayed through the main title sequence. Refusing ultimatum after ultimatum to give up the late Colonel’s “western contacts” (which Bond does not know and which the General blames for corrupting his son), 007 is suddenly brought to a bridge in the DMZ. He is then exchanged for Zao, recently captured by the West after turning into a terrorist, an arrangement forced on M (Judi Dench) by CIA Deputy Director Falco (Harvey Keitel), who believes Bond was leaking information from his prison. Taken to a ship in Hong Kong harbor, a disheveled 007 has a tense meeting with M, who impressed onto Bond that “the world has changed” during his captivity. After taking him off active service, Bond stages his escape from the ship and, after an encounter with Hong Kong’s criminal underground, he seeks out his former ally Wai Lin (Michelle Yeoh).

As he recovers from his wounds, and knowing Zao’s terrorist exploits are embarrassing Beijing, Bond secures the necessary support – despite Wai Lin’s misgivings – to fly to Cuba in search of the terrorist, having promised to the Chinese to take him out. In Havana, Bond reawakens MI6 agent Raúl (Emilio Echeverría) to help him out, and upon chasing Zao to a mysterious island clinic (in which he is meant to undergo plastic surgery), Bond meets, sleeps and eventually spars with the daring CIA agent Giacinta “Jinx” Johnson (Halle Berry). Eventually, both realize the other’s allegiances and the fact that they both have Zao as a target, leading to a three-way fight with the terrorist and his men in the clinic’s glass elevators. The terrorist is able to escape, leaving Bond with few answers. Disobeying orders, but willing to believe some of his claims, Jinx lets the British agent go. With Raúl’s help, Bond realizes Zao’s next target is the MI6 HQ, and he flies back to London. Although reluctant, Bond is able to prevail on young agent Miranda Frost (Rosamund Pike) to help him stop Zao, disrupting his infiltration and surprise assault on MI6. Forced into a hostage situation with Zao holding a gun to M’s head, 007 coldly shoots her boss in the shoulder to get to the terrorist, killing him instantly.

With help from Q (John Cleese), Bond is able to prove that Zao was able to strike with highly advanced weaponry and with inside help, confirming his theory of a traitor within MI6. Despite M’s profound misgivings, she reinstates him to go after Zao’s new superior and find the mole. Linking the weapons to the boastful businessman and millionaire Gustav Graves (Toby Stephens), whose company Solaris produces weapons for Western nations, Bond and Pike are invited to a demonstration in Graves’ Ice Palace in Iceland, and start investigating him. Finding Jinx there as well, Bond – who makes a point of provoking the highly competitive Graves at every turn - has to carefully balance Frost- whom he seduces – with the CIA agent, whom he also starts suspecting of being the actual mole. Choosing to trust Frost, Bond is captured alongside Jinx as is mortified to realize her MI6 colleague has been the traitor all along. Brought to Graves’ presence, the businessman reveals himself a convenient cover for a grievously scarred Colonel Moon, revealed to have survived his previous encounter with Bond.

Having planned for years a complex web of diamonds and weapon smuggling, Moon intends to use his western-built arsenal to bypass the DMZ and invade South Korea and Japan, turning North Korea into a new world superpower. His efforts almost derailed by Bond, he has taken pleasure in attempting to ruin his career and destroy MI6 with Frost’s help. Botching up his instructions to kill Bond on account of his competitiveness, Graves is outsmarted and forced into a car chase across the Ice Palace, in which Jinx and Bond successfully overpower and kill the billionaire. Both agents then go against Frost and Moon respectively, battling them individually. Initially overpowered, Jinx turns the tables on Frost in a knife fight and is able to kill her. For his part, after detonating some of Moon’s weapons and causing the palace to start collapsing, Bond and Moon have a violent sword match to the death, in which the agent narrowly prevails. 007 and Jinx escape the Ice Palace shortly before it crashes into the sea.

Now formally cleared by M and Falco of any suspicion, we see Bond sometime later in an undetermined location, making a visit to General Moon and informing him of his son’s conspiracy. A privately heartbroken General expresses his disappointment, and thanks Bond by providing him with an antidote to the scorpion venom and ruling out a desire for revenge. Now set to close the case by delivering a cache of Moon’s diamonds to their superiors, Bond and Jinx postpone the task and share a romantic moment in a Japanese indoor beach resort.

Double Cross premiered on November 2002 to great commercial success despite strong competition at the box office, rapidly surpassing its two predecessors and competing with GoldenEye as Brosnan’s most profitable Bond film thus far. Fearing potential disaster after a number of lukewarm test screenings, Apted and EON breathed a sigh of relief when critics were immediately complimentary of several aspects of the film, even if they stopped short of pronouncing it an unqualified success. While Björk’s main theme immediately gained popularity, critics praised Brosnan portrayal of a post-torture Bond, the turn towards a grittier take on the franchise – if still overtly reliant on CGI and filled with referential nods -, the film’s concept, and most of the performances, with Pike and Yune being singled out for praise. Criticism focused on the long running time, the at times uneven tone – particularly the placement of the film’s humor -, certain characters feeling wasted or underused (including Colonel Moon, and Wai Lin’s cameo). For her part, Halle Berry gained instant popularity within EON and particularly with Barbara Broccoli, rapidly securing a place in ambitious upcoming plans for the future of the franchise. Fan reception to the character was more mixed, ranging from those who praised her chemistry with Brosnan to those who felt that, despite her talents, the character of Jinx as written was not particularly noteworthy.

In any case, Brosnan was reasonably satisfied with a finished product for the first time since GoldenEye, and both EON and MGM were rewarded enough with the grittier approach – which, it must be said, was still perceived as insufficient after the stellar success of The Bourne Identity – to warrant going further with it. Indeed, the next three years were to be particularly intense times for the Bond franchise. After two decades since the film’s release, it is generally agreed among critics (not necessarily among fans) that Double Cross ranks second or third as the best Brosnan outing, depending on how one compares it to GoldenEye. Highlights of the film include the pre-title sequence, Bond’s torture via the main title sequence, Brosnan and Pike’s performances, the attack on the MI6 HQ, and Wai Lin’s scenes with Bond.

Author’s Notes: This isn’t Die Another Day but good in so far as it is “what if DAD had committed to a single concept?”. A common criticism of the film is that it feels somewhat “schizophrenic” between its two halves, a first half based around intrigue and a second which is more camp. It can be debated that either an entirely campy film or an entirely serious one could make good films, but their uneven, botched combination helps turn DAD into what we know today. I chose to go with the grittier tone to justify the next two entries (all on the same universe), but there’s probably a successful camp DAD to be written there by someone else. And though I wouldn’t blame any single person for DAD’s mistakes, it does seem that MGM/EON did want a more serious tone, and director Tamahori may not have been the ideal man for the part. Removing him causes additional butterflies as he brought Michael Madsen (Falco) and Halle Berry (Jinx) in among others, but I kept some of what he introduced or some of those he hired. “Double Cross” is not a grand film, but it loses Madonna, Icarus, the invisible car, some of the CGI, and so on. There’s few details on what an alternate plot might have looked like, so I combined concepts, expanded on others, and generally toned down the reliance on the Moonraker plotline.​

THE DEATH COLLECTORS will return in
“DIE ANOTHER DAY”

Last edited:
Congrats on the win in the Turtledoves!

Congratz on the Award win!

Thank you very much! It was a great - and unexpected - honor. I've been meaning to express my gratitude earlier, but didn't want to do so before I could get another entry done. So once again, thanks to all who nominated the TL and/or voted for it.

OK , what would the other alternative for Die Another Day be like ?
Where we keep the Laser Weapon and the invisible car and cut some of the more serious stuff at the beginning ?

Probably Moonraker 2: Electric Boogaloo, ramped up to eleven (how the North Korean angle would work, which was how the film's concept started, is hard to say). It would have to face a fine balancing act between being trying to be a fun, purposedly over the top adventure and descending into self-parody, but it would probably stand a better chance of being better recieved (or least liked by audiences, if despised by critics) without the conflicting first half. A lot also depends on whether Tamahori remains in charge.

Best case scenario might be a film that is also financially successful and seen as fun, if shallow (and a case of jumping the shark). Probably still seen in the mid to bottom tier, but without the reputation of worst Bond film ever - which I think it's unfair -.

If I were to write the complete opposite to this entry (not that I will), it would probably be John Woo's Double Cross, which would make Mission Impossible 2 look dull and muted.

Double Cross sounds like a decent Bond movie and much more even than the messy Die Another Day of OTL. I don’t think losing Madonna, the ‘invisible’ car and the crappy cgi would be too high a price.

Looking forward to the next entry.

21. Die Another Day (2004)
DIE ANOTHER DAY (2004)
Halle Berry IS Jinx Johnson

DMkrqqJ.png

“INTERVIEWER: What are some famous roles you have turned down?
BERRY: Well, I was almost Catwoman once, if you can believe it. Sometimes I wonder how that would have turned out.”
(An interview with Halle Berry, 2018)

[Continuation of the “JINXVERSE”,
see “DOUBLE CROSS” for background]​

Firmly in control over the James Bond franchise following the relative success of the three films already released since the death of longtime producer Cubby Broccoli, his heir Barbara Broccoli had dreams for the franchise. Some of these involved the prospect of a new actor to replace Pierce Brosnan, whose contract had been up since The World is Not Enough and renewed for Double Cross without a firm commitment to a fifth outing. Others involved even bolder concepts, including the idea of a “spin-off” film to broaden the franchise and breathe new air into it after its successful 40th Anniversary. In Broccoli’s mind, such a spin-off would necessarily require an important change of direction, tone and concept, to avoid falling into predictable territory. This, in turn, meant placing a woman front and center, a female counterpart for Bond that could carry a film – and perhaps more – without it feeling derivative. Quite a challenge, and one Broccoli and her husband and co-producer Michael G. Wilson had already toyed with after thinking of Michelle Yeoh’s Wai Lin – Tomorrow Never Dies’ Bond girl – as the perfect protagonist for the proposed spin-off.

It was not to be. Despite the character’s favorable reception from critics and, apparently, by the fan base, and a reappearance in Double Cross which was also well-received – if criticized for its brevity -, the concept fell through due to various reasons. However, Double Cross had unexpectedly presented Broccoli with a new opportunity, as Halle Berry’s Jinx character had suitably impressed EON and the actress had seen her stock notably rise after an Academy Award win in the middle of production. Many critics were subsequently positive about her performance alongside Brosnan as a “competent” ally for the secret agent, though it became hard to avoid the impression she had been overshadowed by other characters in the film. Ultimately, it was Broccoli and Wilson who mattered, and soon they were fully on board with the notion of launching the first Bond spin-off by focusing it on Jinx. Berry, for her part, was enthusiastic about the concept when first approached, clearing the very first hurdle. Now the hard part began. While the producers set to the task of convincing MGM to commit to the project, Double Cross screenwriters Purvis and Wade were hired to pen a script.

To Broccoli and Wilson’s surprise, MGM was in. However, their preference seemed to be geared towards a younger Bond in its beginnings, potentially as a TV series. Subsequent talks pushed MGM chief Chris McGurk to support EON’s view, as long as agreement could be reached on the budget. Whereas Broccoli and Wilson wanted an $80 million film, a bit more than half of Double Cross’ budget, MGM was both cash strapped and unsure whether the spin-off merited such an investment against the risks of losing money. A series of corporate briefings, skirmishes and presentations ensued, pitting those who pointed to the financial – but not critical - success of the Tomb Raider films as proof that a female-led action film could succeed; to those who not only questioned whether it would, but also whether the Jinx character merited EON’s faith. A well-received series of drafts by Purvis and Wade – who consciously gave the film a grittier feel, building up on Double Cross – helped assuage the latter concerns, but the former remained.

In the end, Broccoli had to settle for a lower budget, but managed to get the seal of approval to film in late 2003 and release the film in the winter of 2004. Perhaps ironically, MGM even expressed its interest on future spin-offs becoming what was described as a “Winter Olympics” Bond, released in the off years without a main 007 film on the big screen. With MGM depending on the financial resources associated with Bond – a key financial lifeline -, the proposal to expand the franchise appeared to solve some of their immediate problems, even as some executives felt McGurk and others were getting ahead of themselves. In any case, Broccoli and Wilson moved ahead and made the surprise decision to hire British director Stephen Frears. Frears, while the subject of recent critical acclaim, was very much not an action director, which appeared to signal the commitment to a more “thriller” look for the film.

Now with a director at the helm, the film moved into the rewriting process for the script as Frears got involved with Purvis and Wade, and the creative team had to be careful for their work not to disrupt some of the concepts already being thrown around for the next “main” Bond film. The basic tenet of the film became established early on, that being that the film would be an origin story for Jinx rather than a follow-up to the events of Double Cross. A number of concepts were then thrown around, all based around the notion of an edgy, “Euro-thriller”-style adventure, with the humor – and its amount – remaining a point of contention until late in the production. Not wanting to go bigger than the usual Bond adventures whilst, at the same time, not losing a sense of the stakes, Purvis and Wade eventually settled for borrowing from the headlines despite the film being set in the 90’s, making use of terrorism and nerve gas as key elements of the plot. After going through a series of options, Die Another Day, one of alternatives for Double Cross, was chosen as the film’s title.

Casting followed, with only Berry and Harvey Keitel returning from the last Bond film. Aside from Miranda Richardson and an increasingly notorious Javier Bardem – who, coincidentally, would also gain an Oscar nomination while filming -, Frears brought a number of character actors and/or lesser known names on board during the casting process, including Thomas Kretschmann, Karl Urban and Hakeem Kae-Kazim to round up the cast. Unlike the “normal” Bond adventures, the cast avoided the known structure in terms of Bond girls – in this case men -, villains and allies, one of many instances in which the formula would be ditched for the spin-off adventure. And, with David Arnold returning as the film’s composer, the previously unsuccessful attempt to get Madonna to sing the main theme worked this time against the protests of the studio – mostly due to budgetary concerns -, resulting in the singer re-working an unreleased song into the theme “Die Another Day”. The film’s difficult production took place during late 2003 in the United States, Spain, France and Morocco, an odd contrast between the positive atmosphere on set and the bitter infighting pitting MGM against Frears and EON, the studio being increasingly critical of the director and further slashing the budget down to $60 million.

Die Another Day, for the first time in the EON Bond films, does not open with a gunbarrel or pre-title sequence, going straight ahead to its title song by Madonna. The film opens in El Salvador, during the 1980’s, at a gated community that houses the local US embassy staff. As young teenager Giacinta “Jinx” Johnson returns home from school, her parents – both embassy personnel – and other bystanders are killed in an explosion at the community. After the funeral, and while trying to access a mysterious, secret room in the remains of her house, Jinx meets CIA agent Damian Falco (Harvey Keitel), who is attempting to retrieve a number of sensitive documents that belonged to her parents. Sensing an opportunity to avenge them, Jinx tries to persuade Falco to let her help. The agent rebuffs her, until Jinx showcases her observation skills - and successfully impresses him. Falco then offers her entry into what he describes as a “special school”.

Ten years later (with the remaining part of the film set in the 90’s), an adult Jinx (Halle Berry) lives in New York City and is an analyst at the RAND Corporation. Highly suspicious of European businesswoman Veronica Bellochio (Miranda Richardson), who seeks RAND support to build a major weapons industrial complex in Tangiers, Jinx is disbelieved by her colleagues on her claims that Bellochio and her business empire may have the required materials to produce large quantities of nerve gas. Failing to persuade RAND not to fund Bellochio, Jinx approaches Falco – now a high ranking CIA officer - for support in her efforts to investigate the businesswoman. Falco refuses to help unless she does a job for him: MI6 and the CIA have jointly picked up on a lead regarding Trigger, a dangerous terrorist group. Javier (Javier Bardem), a journalist, is set to buy tapes from a contact within the group that contain valuable information, which the CIA wants to acquire at all costs.

Jinx is to travel to Barcelona and work alongside MI6 and CIA operatives Fairbanks (Simon McBurney) and Banning (Karl Urban), replacing Javier for the sale and acquire the tape while the agents stage a raid. Once there, she seduces Javier and, after drugging him, meets as scheduled with Trigger operative Banaadir (Hakeem Kae-Kazim). The operation, however, appears to be compromised, and the Trigger operatives have placed an ambush. In the subsequent gunfight Fairbanks is killed, Banning goes missing, and Jinx narrowly avoids death thanks to Javier, who – the drugging having been botched – followed her to the meeting. Once on his flat, and while annoyed, he expresses his fascination with the whole situation, and offers to help Jinx provided he can get a story out of it. Contacting Falco via a secure line, the CIA officer advises her to move into a safe house in Paris, and wait for reinforcements.

Traveling to Paris with Javier, they are surprised when Trigger assassins Sol (Michaël Youn) and Morant (Romain Duris) show up at the designated location. Managing to turn the tables on the assassins and to have Sol plunge to his death as Morant escapes, Jinx realizes there is a mole within the CIA, who may well be Falco himself. Amidst her confusion, she decides to take matters into her own hands, and alongside Javier they pursue leads on Trigger all the way to Morocco. In Tangiers, Jinx traces and battles Morant again, killing him after a complex shoot-up in a Moroccan tannery. Following her leads further, she is then reunited with Banning, who survived the Trigger ambush and who is convinced Falco is in league with them. While suspicious, Jinx plays along, leaving Javier behind so she and the CIA agent investigate what could be a Trigger warehouse. When the building is revealed to be part of the new Bellochio Industries complex, with Banaadir and his men present, Jinx pieces’ things together and realizes Bellochio is supplying Trigger with weapons, and, potentially, with nerve gas as well.

Banning, revealing himself as the Trigger mole, knocks her out and takes Jinx to Veronica Bellochio’s presence. Praising her instincts yet mocking her naiveté, Bellochio reveals her corrupt, greedy nature, having planned for Trigger to stage an attack in an airport with nerve gas so she could subsequently sell appropriate countermeasures to panicked governments. Set to be executed by Banning, she overpowers him with a hidden weapon and reveals that, having decided to trust Falco instead of him, she chose to alert her mentor. A team of Navy Seals and CIA operatives storm the Bellochio Industries complex, crushing the Trigger operatives and killing Banaadir in the process. Jinx is able to overpower Banning and prevent him from evacuating the nerve gas despite receiving serious wounds, subsequently killing the mole when he decides to taunt her again. Falco arrests Bellochio, who is told she is to disappear within the confines of Guantanamo.

A few weeks later, having recovered from her wounds at a resort in Monaco alongside Javier, Jinx is visited by Falco, who congratulates her on a job well done. Offered a job in the CIA as an agent, she accepts. After a temporary goodbye to Javier, Jinx is seen riding her motorcycle towards the sunset, in what is heavily implied to be her next, and first official mission.

Die Another Day premiered on November 2004 and, despite a lackluster opening weekend – which almost caused a panic at MGM – started to pick up steam, going on to become a respectable (if not dramatic) financial success rather than the loss many feared. Contrary to some expectations, audiences appeared to think Berry was compelling enough on her own right as leading woman, despite anecdotal complaints – or, on the opposite cases, praise – that her solo film was at the same time too different and too derivative of a typical Bond film. This seemingly paradoxical reaction then extended to the fan base, many of which questioned whether Jinx as a character – regardless of Berry’s efforts – was worth a series of spin-off films. And then it went to the critics, a majority of which praised the tone, the humor, some of the performances – Keitel and Berry being singled out – and the franchise’s newfound willingness to experiment, while at the same time criticizing the plot, the short runtime, and, among other aspects, even the film’s title song.

Ultimately, there appeared to be very little resembling a consensus when the dust settled, ranging from those who praised Die Another Day as a ground-breaking, edgy adventure (with an African-American lead, no less) to those who dismissed the film not only as a step down from any of Brosnan’s adventures, but also as an unnecessary addition to the franchise. This same lack of consensus did not exclude studio politics, as MGM – who seemed increasingly in danger of having to be sold due to their financial struggles – cited evidence of recent sequels to female-centric action films underperforming to postpone talk of any sequels; all while Barbara Broccoli strongly pushed the line she had been vindicated in her decision to, as it was later quoted, “fight the franchise’s past misogyny”. For the time being, all efforts at EON would be devoted to the next Bond adventure, with an actual decision on a sequel to Die Another Day being postponed until 2006. Berry, while displeased with some aspects of the production and the constant struggle with MGM, felt reasonably pleased. At the very least, her standing did not appear to be diminished by the film, and her thus far successful career went on.

Less than twenty years after its release, Die Another Day remains a polarizing film. Whereas it’s been argued that it’s not exactly as a case of “love it or hated”, there are firm established camps – particularly within Bond fans – as to whether the film is worth it and a necessary jolt for a franchise that appeared stale before the millennium, and those who maintain – even in light of the future Jinx films – that it is an ultimately forgettable entry into the franchise. The one area in which there is consensus is that it must rank as the middle film of the Jinx trilogy, equidistant to the reviled second entry and the surprisingly solid – and unexpectedly late – third entry. Highlights of the film include Jinx’s relationship with Falco, her seduction of Javier, the separate fights against Sol and Morant, and some of the final scenes pitting Jinx against Benning and Bellochio.

Author’s Notes: The Jinx spin-off, made possible in this universe due to Double Cross (alt-DAD, previous entry) being far better received. This posed a remarkable challenge as it’s been said the script was excellent and gritty, but what’s been leaked recently probably doesn’t even cover the first act. Thus, by the point in which Jinx enters Barcelona I’m forced to make up most of the whole thing with only a handful of details. Thus, I’ve switched some things around from the leaks, chose most of the new names as easter eggs (from a novel and an unfilmed Bond script treatment), and so forth. I’m not a creative person by nature, so bear with me and consider the “plot” more or less a placeholder made better by its execution rather than its content. I really can’t judge whether a Jinx film would have been successful or not, but I do think it might have been divisive unless it had been as good as OTL Casino Royale. And that is an enormously high bar. Also, we don’t know what the film would have been called – Jinx is just dull -, so I reused the DAD title. I think it somehow works. Finally, this butterflies away Catwoman (2004), to the unmistakable benefit of Halle Berry’s career.​

“CASINO ROYALE”

22. Casino Royale (2005)
CASINO ROYALE (2005)
Pierce Brosnan IS James Bond

FfiOETU.png

“BOND: You know (pauses) the North Koreans were better than you at this.”
LE CHIFFRE: Defiant to the end, I see.”
(Casino Royale shooting script, 2004)

[Continuation and end of the “JINXVERSE”,
see “DOUBLE CROSS” and
“DIE ANOTHER DAY” for background]​

Pierce Brosnan was in high spirits following the release of Double Cross and its mostly favorable reaction by audiences and critics, an apparent sign that, even while having to fend off fierce competition from new franchises (Bourne) and damaging spoofs (Austin Powers), there was still vitality in the franchise and in his interpretation of the iconic role. For him, it wasn’t a question of whether he’d do a fifth Bond film, even if his original contract had been up and then renegotiated for Double Cross. To his shock, he almost wasn’t brought back at all.

It’s not that EON disliked him, or that producers Broccoli and Wilson didn’t think highly of him. Not for nothing they’d worked together since 1994, back from a time in which it was nowhere near certain that 007 would arise from the grave of the Cold War. On the other hand, it was undeniable that they had already started to think of his replacement. Why this started early remains a matter of speculation and a source of much tabloid gossip in early 2003, but nothing clear came out of EON. To some it was a simple matter of money, with a fifth Brosnan outing demanding yet another raise on his salary that would place enormous strain on the budget. For others it was his age, having recently turned 50 at a time in which many could still remember Roger Moore staying on for quite a bit longer than he probably should have. And then there were others who thought it was a creative dilemma, based on the supposed desire of the producers – particularly Broccoli – to start again with a “blank slate”, essentially rebooting the franchise itself for the first time in forty years. Whatever the case, negotiations started to drag on for a while, a state of affairs that rattled the leading actor.

Although unconfirmed, it’s generally believed by insiders that MGM may have come to Brosnan’s rescue. Despite a marked unwillingness to raise Brosnan’s salary, the studio remained in deep financial trouble – with talk of its potential sale to either Warner Bros. or Sony – and relied on Bond as its lifeline for survival. This was one of the factors which pushed the studio into greenlighting the first Jinx spin-off Die Another Day, and which also pushed the studio into fearing the results of replacing an actor who, despite other flaws in the franchise, had more or less consolidated himself as 007 in the minds of audiences. Indeed, a popular internet rumor – strongly pushed by those in the fan base more critical of the Jinx movies – goes as far as suggesting that MGM played off EON and Brosnan against each other, using Die Another Day as a bargaining chip to sway EON into allowing Brosnan one final film, and the threat of his replacement to get the actor and his agent to reduce their own demands for the renegotiation of his contract. In any case, and whatever the truth, it took until early 2004 for confirmation to arrive: Brosnan was to star in his fifth and likely final adventure as James Bond.

Having acquired the rights to Casino Royale from Sony after their abortive attempt at a rival Bond franchise back in the late 1990’s, EON had a unique opportunity to use Fleming-original material for the first time in decades. Despite suggestions that the novel might work best for a future film introducing a new actor into the role, the general lack of workable ideas and/or pitches for the final Brosnan adventure – most of which were said to have entered science fiction territory – made it perhaps inevitable that the novel would become the basis for the next film. Free – if exhausted – from their work on Die Another Day, scriptwriters Purvis and Wade took a stab at it, trying to salvage as much as they could while trying to find the correct angle. Having already pushed the envelope a bit after having Bond undergo torture on his last adventure, they concluded the best way to give the film meaning was to involve the secret agent in a meaningful relationship, a department in which Brosnan – save for his complex relationship with Electra King – had not been able to distinguish himself. For his part, the actor was all-in in wanting an edgier and grittier script.

Toning down some of the high-tech aspects of previous adventures, the focus was taken into international terrorism, replacing the novel’s outdated use of the Soviet SMERSH. And while the script remained in development, the race to find a proper director started as well. When potential choices Matthew Vaughn and Roger Michell were either vetoed or turned down the offer, EON finally decided to ask GoldenEye’s director Martin Campbell to return. Campbell had already said no regarding previous Brosnan outings, but, ultimately, the prospect of a grittier adventure and the concept of giving the Bond he brought into the world closure in terms of his character arc enthused him. Finally signed on to direct, Campbell was nonetheless to have a difficult relationship with Purvis and Wade, disliking several aspects of the script – famously arguing it even lacked a third act – and being placed under increasing pressure due to MGM not been able to spare a larger budget and needed the movie to come out in late 2005. It was to be a remarkable challenge for the New Zealander filmmaker.

Retaining the supporting cast inherited from Double Cross, as well as an unexpectedly late entry by Halle Berry to reprise the Jinx Johnson role – replacing what might have been the reintroduction of Felix Leiter -, Campbell soon realized his major challenge was to cast Bond girl Vesper Lynd and main villain Le Chiffre. Ultimately, he reasoned, much of the film would depend on finding a Vesper that could hold her own against Bond, and a Le Chiffre that could be menacing without descending into a caricature of a villain. A long parade of actresses auditioned for the role, and others still – including rising Hollywood stars – were pushed by MGM in the hopes of additional publicity. Allegedly, actresses Olivia Wilde and Eva Green almost secured the role before ruling themselves out due to different reasons. In the end, it was Canadian actress Rachel McAdams who won out, alongside German actor Ulrich Matthes as Le Chiffre. Completing the cast were Sophie Ellis Bextor, Giancarlo Giannini, Jasper Christiansen and Eamonn Walker in various roles.

Wanting a different theme song for the film that built on the success of Bjork’s Double Cross rather than return to the more mainstream sound of Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough, composer David Arnold ended up working with famed English rock band Radiohead. Having decided early on that “Casino Royale” would not work as a title, they ended up producing the critically acclaimed – if a bit too dark for audiences - “Red and Black”. With pre-production finished, Casino Royale was filmed between late 2004 and early 2005 in England, South Africa, Italy, and the United Arab Emirates, a grueling and prolonged shooting process which yielded one of the longest films in the franchise, 5 minutes longer than Double Cross. All things considered, Brosnan was said to have worked well with McAdams, though the actress would constituently – if tactfully – complain the Vesper role still felt underwritten and somewhat wasted. Campbell would attempt to make further script corrections as filming went on, but having a firm deadline, he was forced to stick with some aspects he wasn’t fully comfortable with.

Casino Royale’s pre-title sequence takes place in the streets of Mogadishu, Madagascar, where James Bond (Pierce Brosnan) is chasing terrorist bomb-maker Mollaka (Sammi Rotibi). Having chased Mollaka into an embassy, Bond is unable to prevent the bomb-maker from blowing himself up to avoid capture, causing an international incident and resulting in a fierce dressing down by MI6 chief M (Judi Dench).

In Uganda, African warlord Colonel Obanno (Eamonn Walker) holds a meeting with the mysterious Le Chiffre (Ulrich Matthes), a banker from a criminal syndicate that handles finances for international terrorists. With Le Chiffre’s superior Mr. Gettler (Jasper Christiansen) guaranteeing the reliability of his syndicate, Obanno is persuaded to deliver $100 million dollars for an investment to be handled by Le Chiffre. In the meantime, and with help from an informant, Bond follows the late Mollaka’s trail to Greek terrorist Dimitros (Simon Abkarian), who appears to be in possession of high-explosives crafted by Mollaka. Bond successfully seduces Dimitros’ mistreated wife Solange (Sophie Ellis Bextor), and learns that Dimitros is part of a terrorist plot by Le Chiffre to play the stock market by staging the hijack of a cruise ship. After helping Solange kill her husband by stuffing a rare fish down his throat, Bond successfully disrupts the hijack at the last moment, costing Le Chiffre the entire $100 million investment and leaving the banker at the mercy of both Obanno and his employers.

Desperate to recover his losses, Le Chiffre organizes a high-stakes poker tournament in Dubai, atop the magnificent Burj Al Arab. Hoping to force Le Chiffre to seek asylum by defeating him, M has Bond enter the tournament under the supervision of Treasury Agent Vesper Lynd (Rachel McAdams), and the assistance of gambling expert and MI6 contact René Mathis (Giancarlo Giannini). Despite some acerbic verbal combat, Bond and Vesper take an immediate liking to each other, and start to grow close as the tournament begins despite the unexpected presence of CIA agent Jinx Johnson (Halle Berry) as one of the players. Having discovered Le Chiffre’s loss of his money, a furious Colonel Obanno shows up in Dubai and tries to assassinate him, only to be dispatched by Bond – and a rattled Vesper – due to needing the banker alive. Initially overconfident, 007 is stunned to lose against Le Chiffre, and when Vesper refuses to authorize a buy-in – putting a temporary strain on their relationship – Jinx agrees to withdraw and stake Bond in return for American custody of Le Chiffre.

Poisoned by Le Chiffre’s lover Valenka (Ivana Milicevic) on the eve of the final game session, Bond narrowly avoids death with the remote assistance of Q (John Cleese) and Moneypenny (Samantha Bond). 007 subsequently defeats the banker, but Le Chiffre traps him by kidnapping Vesper and then subjecting him to torture. Increasingly frantic on his attempts to get Bond to give up the tournament’s winnings, a desperate Le Chiffre is stunned by the sudden reappearance of Mr. Gettler, who kills him and Valenka for their unreliability. Bond is spared, and spends some time in hospital recovering alongside Vesper. Le Chiffre’s mysterious first victory over Bond is explained as the result of an inside betrayal, with Matthis being arrested as the main suspect. As the secret agent’s relationship with Vesper deepens, he decides to retire from MI6, and the couple takes off to Venice. Despite their apparent happiness, Vesper appears to be unstable at moments, and when Bond suddenly realizes the winnings have not been deposited to MI6, he realizes it is she who has betrayed him.

Racing into the hotel in which they both reside, Bond sees Mr. Gettler leaving the premises, and rushes into Vesper’s room. She finds her dead atop their bed, having taken a cyanide pill and leaving a filmed confession set up in the TV. In it, she confesses to be a double agent for Gettler’s crime syndicate, having been forced to betray MI6 to save her lover, whom Gettler threatened to kill. Unable to live with herself, she decided to commit suicide. An enraged, betrayed Bond chases after Gettler and finds him at a covert meeting within a horse race, which he disrupts. A chase ensues and brings both men into a building which, sabotaged by Bond, starts to rapidly sink into the ocean. Taunting Bond with the knowledge of Vesper’s betrayal, Gettler loses his struggle against the agent and drowns.

After swimming to safety, Bond contacts M, denouncing Vesper as a traitor and seeing to it that Matthis – framed by her – is released. Heartbroken, all he can say when M inquires about Vesper is: “It’s over. The bitch is dead.”

Casino Royale premiered on November 2005 amidst significant expectations, and the warnings of certain critics that delivering the third film in the franchise in four years might expose it to the risk of exhaustion. It was not to be. Although turned off to an extent by the gloomy ending – which, disliked by test audiences, had to be bitterly defended by Campbell before it was allowed to stay -, audiences seem to respond strongly to the bulk of the film, as well as with the decision to showcase a grittier, more vulnerable Bond than previously depicted. Critics were also unusually complimentary, arguing that Casino Royale proved the franchise was “capable of maturing”. All in all, critical praise was consistently directed at Brosnan, Matthes and Christiansen for their respective performances, the action sequences, the emotional arc of the film, its title song, and the sense of closure when compared to other Brosnan adventures. Criticism focused on the odd pacing of the film, the seemingly unrelated nature of much of the first act, the Vesper character – usually praising McAdams’ performance while attacking the script – and even the Jinx cameo, which some described as “tacked on”.

Despite these weaknesses, Casino Royale was a certified hit, rapidly overcoming its predecessors and becoming one of the highest grossing films of the franchise, a much needed financial relief to MGM (which, nonetheless, only prolonged the inevitable). Pleased with the results of his last two adventures, and feeling his interpretation of Bond could yet sustain one final act to bring the character out of his dejected state by the end of the movie, Brosnan was disappointed when, a few months into 2006, he was told in no uncertain terms his tenure was over. Ultimately, Broccoli and Wilson wanted a fresh start, a decision reinforced by the disastrous results of the Jinx sequel To Die For (2007). Though the break-up was perceived to be on amicable terms, Brosnan would remain frustrated over the decision, a factor which may have led to his surprise return alongside Halle Berry in the unexpectedly successful spin-off Blood and Thunder (2017).

A decade and a half after its release, Casino Royale remains a high point in the franchise, though not a perfect result in all senses. It is consistently ranked first in terms of Brosnan’s five outing, despite a minority preferring GoldenEye over it due to its less pessimistic tone. Highlights of the film include the Madagascar chase in the pre-title sequence, Bond’s poisoning and torture sequences, Vesper’s death, and the general banter between Vesper and Bond in their initial scenes together.

Author’s Notes: If one could transplant Brosnan into the OTL Casino Royale and change as little as possible I have little doubt it would be a hell of a film, but of course it doesn’t work like that. Even this entry keeps a lot that could have also been different, as a different director than Campbell would have resulted in an unrecognizable film. Ultimately, this Casino Royale is a triumph in its own universe out of comparison to its predecessors, though significantly inferior to the OTL we know. Casino Royale was first written with Brosnan in mind, but it’s not certain that much of the alternate details or plots we know came from those early versions. Allegedly, Matthes – you may know him better as Goebbels in Der Untergang – almost got the Le Chiffre role, and Mikkelsen was sort of an accidental casting. I have no idea if McAdams was just rumored for the part or actually auditioned, but I’ve used most of the likely alt-Vespers already, so I picked her. As for the Radiohead song, picture “Man of War” and “Spectre” combined.​

“DR. NO”

Author’s Notes: If one could transplant Brosnan into the OTL Casino Royale and change as little as possible I have little doubt it would be a hell of a film, but of course it doesn’t work like that
Of course no but this one works very well , waiting to see your take on Dr. No

Many years ago - pre actual Casino Royale if memory serves - one of the main Bond fansites posted a series of "pitches" about the various Bonds doing the series. I have only managed to track down a few, but here's the Brosnan one -

For what it's worth, Lumine's is much much better 👌

Garrison

Donor
DIE ANOTHER DAY (2004)
Halle Berry IS Jinx Johnson

DMkrqqJ.png

“INTERVIEWER: What are some famous roles you have turned down?
BERRY: Well, I was almost Catwoman once, if you can believe it. Sometimes I wonder how that would have turned out.”
(An interview with Halle Berry, 2018)

[Continuation of the “JINXVERSE”,
see “DOUBLE CROSS” for background]​

Firmly in control over the James Bond franchise following the relative success of the three films already released since the death of longtime producer Cubby Broccoli, his heir Barbara Broccoli had dreams for the franchise. Some of these involved the prospect of a new actor to replace Pierce Brosnan, whose contract had been up since The World is Not Enough and renewed for Double Cross without a firm commitment to a fifth outing. Others involved even bolder concepts, including the idea of a “spin-off” film to broaden the franchise and breathe new air into it after its successful 40th Anniversary. In Broccoli’s mind, such a spin-off would necessarily require an important change of direction, tone and concept, to avoid falling into predictable territory. This, in turn, meant placing a woman front and center, a female counterpart for Bond that could carry a film – and perhaps more – without it feeling derivative. Quite a challenge, and one Broccoli and her husband and co-producer Michael G. Wilson had already toyed with after thinking of Michelle Yeoh’s Wai Lin – Tomorrow Never Dies’ Bond girl – as the perfect protagonist for the proposed spin-off.

It was not to be. Despite the character’s favorable reception from critics and, apparently, by the fan base, and a reappearance in Double Cross which was also well-received – if criticized for its brevity -, the concept fell through due to various reasons. However, Double Cross had unexpectedly presented Broccoli with a new opportunity, as Halle Berry’s Jinx character had suitably impressed EON and the actress had seen her stock notably rise after an Academy Award win in the middle of production. Many critics were subsequently positive about her performance alongside Brosnan as a “competent” ally for the secret agent, though it became hard to avoid the impression she had been overshadowed by other characters in the film. Ultimately, it was Broccoli and Wilson who mattered, and soon they were fully on board with the notion of launching the first Bond spin-off by focusing it on Jinx. Berry, for her part, was enthusiastic about the concept when first approached, clearing the very first hurdle. Now the hard part began. While the producers set to the task of convincing MGM to commit to the project, Double Cross screenwriters Purvis and Wade were hired to pen a script.

To Broccoli and Wilson’s surprise, MGM was in. However, their preference seemed to be geared towards a younger Bond in its beginnings, potentially as a TV series. Subsequent talks pushed MGM chief Chris McGurk to support EON’s view, as long as agreement could be reached on the budget. Whereas Broccoli and Wilson wanted an $80 million film, a bit more than half of Double Cross’ budget, MGM was both cash strapped and unsure whether the spin-off merited such an investment against the risks of losing money. A series of corporate briefings, skirmishes and presentations ensued, pitting those who pointed to the financial – but not critical - success of the Tomb Raider films as proof that a female-led action film could succeed; to those who not only questioned whether it would, but also whether the Jinx character merited EON’s faith. A well-received series of drafts by Purvis and Wade – who consciously gave the film a grittier feel, building up on Double Cross – helped assuage the latter concerns, but the former remained.

In the end, Broccoli had to settle for a lower budget, but managed to get the seal of approval to film in late 2003 and release the film in the winter of 2004. Perhaps ironically, MGM even expressed its interest on future spin-offs becoming what was described as a “Winter Olympics” Bond, released in the off years without a main 007 film on the big screen. With MGM depending on the financial resources associated with Bond – a key financial lifeline -, the proposal to expand the franchise appeared to solve some of their immediate problems, even as some executives felt McGurk and others were getting ahead of themselves. In any case, Broccoli and Wilson moved ahead and made the surprise decision to hire British director Stephen Frears. Frears, while the subject of recent critical acclaim, was very much not an action director, which appeared to signal the commitment to a more “thriller” look for the film.

Now with a director at the helm, the film moved into the rewriting process for the script as Frears got involved with Purvis and Wade, and the creative team had to be careful for their work not to disrupt some of the concepts already being thrown around for the next “main” Bond film. The basic tenet of the film became established early on, that being that the film would be an origin story for Jinx rather than a follow-up to the events of Double Cross. A number of concepts were then thrown around, all based around the notion of an edgy, “Euro-thriller”-style adventure, with the humor – and its amount – remaining a point of contention until late in the production. Not wanting to go bigger than the usual Bond adventures whilst, at the same time, not losing a sense of the stakes, Purvis and Wade eventually settled for borrowing from the headlines despite the film being set in the 90’s, making use of terrorism and nerve gas as key elements of the plot. After going through a series of options, Die Another Day, one of alternatives for Double Cross, was chosen as the film’s title.

Casting followed, with only Berry and Harvey Keitel returning from the last Bond film. Aside from Miranda Richardson and an increasingly notorious Javier Bardem – who, coincidentally, would also gain an Oscar nomination while filming -, Frears brought a number of character actors and/or lesser known names on board during the casting process, including Thomas Kretschmann, Karl Urban and Hakeem Kae-Kazim to round up the cast. Unlike the “normal” Bond adventures, the cast avoided the known structure in terms of Bond girls – in this case men -, villains and allies, one of many instances in which the formula would be ditched for the spin-off adventure. And, with David Arnold returning as the film’s composer, the previously unsuccessful attempt to get Madonna to sing the main theme worked this time against the protests of the studio – mostly due to budgetary concerns -, resulting in the singer re-working an unreleased song into the theme “Die Another Day”. The film’s difficult production took place during late 2003 in the United States, Spain, France and Morocco, an odd contrast between the positive atmosphere on set and the bitter infighting pitting MGM against Frears and EON, the studio being increasingly critical of the director and further slashing the budget down to $60 million.

Die Another Day, for the first time in the EON Bond films, does not open with a gunbarrel or pre-title sequence, going straight ahead to its title song by Madonna. The film opens in El Salvador, during the 1980’s, at a gated community that houses the local US embassy staff. As young teenager Giacinta “Jinx” Johnson returns home from school, her parents – both embassy personnel – and other bystanders are killed in an explosion at the community. After the funeral, and while trying to access a mysterious, secret room in the remains of her house, Jinx meets CIA agent Damian Falco (Harvey Keitel), who is attempting to retrieve a number of sensitive documents that belonged to her parents. Sensing an opportunity to avenge them, Jinx tries to persuade Falco to let her help. The agent rebuffs her, until Jinx showcases her observation skills - and successfully impresses him. Falco then offers her entry into what he describes as a “special school”.

Ten years later (with the remaining part of the film set in the 90’s), an adult Jinx (Halle Berry) lives in New York City and is an analyst at the RAND Corporation. Highly suspicious of European businesswoman Veronica Bellochio (Miranda Richardson), who seeks RAND support to build a major weapons industrial complex in Tangiers, Jinx is disbelieved by her colleagues on her claims that Bellochio and her business empire may have the required materials to produce large quantities of nerve gas. Failing to persuade RAND not to fund Bellochio, Jinx approaches Falco – now a high ranking CIA officer - for support in her efforts to investigate the businesswoman. Falco refuses to help unless she does a job for him: MI6 and the CIA have jointly picked up on a lead regarding Trigger, a dangerous terrorist group. Javier (Javier Bardem), a journalist, is set to buy tapes from a contact within the group that contain valuable information, which the CIA wants to acquire at all costs.

Jinx is to travel to Barcelona and work alongside MI6 and CIA operatives Fairbanks (Simon McBurney) and Banning (Karl Urban), replacing Javier for the sale and acquire the tape while the agents stage a raid. Once there, she seduces Javier and, after drugging him, meets as scheduled with Trigger operative Banaadir (Hakeem Kae-Kazim). The operation, however, appears to be compromised, and the Trigger operatives have placed an ambush. In the subsequent gunfight Fairbanks is killed, Banning goes missing, and Jinx narrowly avoids death thanks to Javier, who – the drugging having been botched – followed her to the meeting. Once on his flat, and while annoyed, he expresses his fascination with the whole situation, and offers to help Jinx provided he can get a story out of it. Contacting Falco via a secure line, the CIA officer advises her to move into a safe house in Paris, and wait for reinforcements.

Traveling to Paris with Javier, they are surprised when Trigger assassins Sol (Michaël Youn) and Morant (Romain Duris) show up at the designated location. Managing to turn the tables on the assassins and to have Sol plunge to his death as Morant escapes, Jinx realizes there is a mole within the CIA, who may well be Falco himself. Amidst her confusion, she decides to take matters into her own hands, and alongside Javier they pursue leads on Trigger all the way to Morocco. In Tangiers, Jinx traces and battles Morant again, killing him after a complex shoot-up in a Moroccan tannery. Following her leads further, she is then reunited with Banning, who survived the Trigger ambush and who is convinced Falco is in league with them. While suspicious, Jinx plays along, leaving Javier behind so she and the CIA agent investigate what could be a Trigger warehouse. When the building is revealed to be part of the new Bellochio Industries complex, with Banaadir and his men present, Jinx pieces’ things together and realizes Bellochio is supplying Trigger with weapons, and, potentially, with nerve gas as well.

Banning, revealing himself as the Trigger mole, knocks her out and takes Jinx to Veronica Bellochio’s presence. Praising her instincts yet mocking her naiveté, Bellochio reveals her corrupt, greedy nature, having planned for Trigger to stage an attack in an airport with nerve gas so she could subsequently sell appropriate countermeasures to panicked governments. Set to be executed by Banning, she overpowers him with a hidden weapon and reveals that, having decided to trust Falco instead of him, she chose to alert her mentor. A team of Navy Seals and CIA operatives storm the Bellochio Industries complex, crushing the Trigger operatives and killing Banaadir in the process. Jinx is able to overpower Banning and prevent him from evacuating the nerve gas despite receiving serious wounds, subsequently killing the mole when he decides to taunt her again. Falco arrests Bellochio, who is told she is to disappear within the confines of Guantanamo.

A few weeks later, having recovered from her wounds at a resort in Monaco alongside Javier, Jinx is visited by Falco, who congratulates her on a job well done. Offered a job in the CIA as an agent, she accepts. After a temporary goodbye to Javier, Jinx is seen riding her motorcycle towards the sunset, in what is heavily implied to be her next, and first official mission.

Die Another Day premiered on November 2004 and, despite a lackluster opening weekend – which almost caused a panic at MGM – started to pick up steam, going on to become a respectable (if not dramatic) financial success rather than the loss many feared. Contrary to some expectations, audiences appeared to think Berry was compelling enough on her own right as leading woman, despite anecdotal complaints – or, on the opposite cases, praise – that her solo film was at the same time too different and too derivative of a typical Bond film. This seemingly paradoxical reaction then extended to the fan base, many of which questioned whether Jinx as a character – regardless of Berry’s efforts – was worth a series of spin-off films. And then it went to the critics, a majority of which praised the tone, the humor, some of the performances – Keitel and Berry being singled out – and the franchise’s newfound willingness to experiment, while at the same time criticizing the plot, the short runtime, and, among other aspects, even the film’s title song.

Ultimately, there appeared to be very little resembling a consensus when the dust settled, ranging from those who praised Die Another Day as a ground-breaking, edgy adventure (with an African-American lead, no less) to those who dismissed the film not only as a step down from any of Brosnan’s adventures, but also as an unnecessary addition to the franchise. This same lack of consensus did not exclude studio politics, as MGM – who seemed increasingly in danger of having to be sold due to their financial struggles – cited evidence of recent sequels to female-centric action films underperforming to postpone talk of any sequels; all while Barbara Broccoli strongly pushed the line she had been vindicated in her decision to, as it was later quoted, “fight the franchise’s past misogyny”. For the time being, all efforts at EON would be devoted to the next Bond adventure, with an actual decision on a sequel to Die Another Day being postponed until 2006. Berry, while displeased with some aspects of the production and the constant struggle with MGM, felt reasonably pleased. At the very least, her standing did not appear to be diminished by the film, and her thus far successful career went on.

Less than twenty years after its release, Die Another Day remains a polarizing film. Whereas it’s been argued that it’s not exactly as a case of “love it or hated”, there are firm established camps – particularly within Bond fans – as to whether the film is worth it and a necessary jolt for a franchise that appeared stale before the millennium, and those who maintain – even in light of the future Jinx films – that it is an ultimately forgettable entry into the franchise. The one area in which there is consensus is that it must rank as the middle film of the Jinx trilogy, equidistant to the reviled second entry and the surprisingly solid – and unexpectedly late – third entry. Highlights of the film include Jinx’s relationship with Falco, her seduction of Javier, the separate fights against Sol and Morant, and some of the final scenes pitting Jinx against Benning and Bellochio.

Author’s Notes: The Jinx spin-off, made possible in this universe due to Double Cross (alt-DAD, previous entry) being far better received. This posed a remarkable challenge as it’s been said the script was excellent and gritty, but what’s been leaked recently probably doesn’t even cover the first act. Thus, by the point in which Jinx enters Barcelona I’m forced to make up most of the whole thing with only a handful of details. Thus, I’ve switched some things around from the leaks, chose most of the new names as easter eggs (from a novel and an unfilmed Bond script treatment), and so forth. I’m not a creative person by nature, so bear with me and consider the “plot” more or less a placeholder made better by its execution rather than its content. I really can’t judge whether a Jinx film would have been successful or not, but I do think it might have been divisive unless it had been as good as OTL Casino Royale. And that is an enormously high bar. Also, we don’t know what the film would have been called – Jinx is just dull -, so I reused the DAD title. I think it somehow works. Finally, this butterflies away Catwoman (2004), to the unmistakable benefit of Halle Berry’s career.​

“CASINO ROYALE”
Well Halle Berry certainly dodged a bullet there. :)