Two questions.
1) The use of Ms. is at least a century early, according to Wikipedia it started in the 1950s.
2) It is unclear whether the Stabler house employs slaves or not. Not employing slaves in Virginia would get them talked about as being pure abolitionists. However, Carroll did not free her own slaves iOTL until 1860. Some "compromise" (and I'm looking at this from the standards of the day) is likely. Slaves are taught their numbers and letters (and possibly even to read the bible!), slaves are not sold on, the white men of the property are not allowed to touch the slave women, etc.

Two questions.
1) The use of Ms. is at least a century early, according to Wikipedia it started in the 1950s.
2) It is unclear whether the Stabler house employs slaves or not. Not employing slaves in Virginia would get them talked about as being pure abolitionists. However, Carroll did not free her own slaves iOTL until 1860. Some "compromise" (and I'm looking at this from the standards of the day) is likely. Slaves are taught their numbers and letters (and possibly even to read the bible!), slaves are not sold on, the white men of the property are not allowed to touch the slave women, etc.
1. Good catch. Fixed.
2. The Stabler family are pure abolitionists, which is definitely an eccentricity in Virginia but dates back to Edward Stabler, who said IOTL that slavery "sickens my heart." Carroll is a little more strongly anti-slavery than she was IOTL. A lot of people are.

1. Good catch. Fixed.
2. The Stabler family are pure abolitionists, which is definitely an eccentricity in Virginia but dates back to Edward Stabler, who said IOTL that slavery "sickens my heart." Carroll is a little more strongly anti-slavery than she was IOTL. A lot of people are.
For good or ill, the question becomes, "are enough people in Delaware more strongly anti-slavery that the state has outlawed it." (a couple of times in Delaware, a few changes in who was elected *might* see it pass)

Read a good chunk of this TL years and years ago but I kept on getting events in it mixed up in my head with Male Rising and Look to the West and eventually found it impossible to keep the state of the world in this timeline straight in my head from one update to the next. Always meant to reread the first chapters and then read the rest to get everything firmly fixed in my head. But there were just so many chapters and I kept putting it off.

But I'm happy I've finally gotten around to it. So many lovely bits and by binging it I could hold everything in my head so much better.

Only one question, how did Tallyrand worm his way back into the Bonapartist government? Worming his way into governments is basically his thing so it makes sense but I don't think we ever heard how he did it.

Read a good chunk of this TL years and years ago but I kept on getting events in it mixed up in my head with Male Rising and Look to the West and eventually found it impossible to keep the state of the world in this timeline straight in my head from one update to the next. Always meant to reread the first chapters and then read the rest to get everything firmly fixed in my head. But there were just so many chapters and I kept putting it off.

But I'm happy I've finally gotten around to it. So many lovely bits and by binging it I could hold everything in my head so much better.

Only one question, how did Tallyrand worm his way back into the Bonapartist government? Worming his way into governments is basically his thing so it makes sense but I don't think we ever heard how he did it.
Glad you're enjoying it! (And it's a great compliment to be confused with those TLs.)

I imagine Talleyrand said something like, "Remember how, after Nancy, the Coalition decided to hang back and wait for you guys to destroy each other instead of raising more troops and pressing onward? Guess who convinced them to do that?"

The Dark Goddess on the Back of the Goat (2)
July 9, 1839
Claremont House, London

Leo lay in the dark, breathing quietly, relishing the sensation of silk sheets and a mattress under his back. So good to be sleeping in a real bed again. Even better to have Julie curled up next to him, resting gently against his left shoulder.

Clearly she’d missed him. She’d never been so frisky and frolicsome before. The hard part had been getting her to hold still long enough for them to do the one thing that might actually help keep the line going.

“Leo?”

“Yes, love?” Not just yet, please. Give me a moment to get my strength back. The sheets are still sweaty.

“I love the beard. Please keep it.”

That explained why she had been trying to rub half her body over his face. “I will.”

“Thank you for coming back with the honour guard.”

“I owed it to…” He was about to say the Duke or his Grace, but whichever muse, angel, or saint was in charge of marital concord seemed to hold his tongue until his brain had a chance to catch up. “You. I owed it to you.”

“You certainly did.” She moved until she was half on top of him and whispered in his ear.“Never again.”

Leo said nothing. He didn’t want to admit that he had no idea what she was asking him to never do again.

“Whatever duty you were supposed to do, you’ve done it,” she said. “Your father is proud of you—you heard him say it. All those people who said the Prince of Wales should go to war… you’ve gone. Now you’re back. Don’t go again.”

“I won’t.”

“Your brother had a nightmare about you dying.”

“Really?”

“Yes. He was terrified. He dreamed he woke up and the bells were tolling and everyone was in black and weeping and a hearse was being pulled through the street by a thousand ducks.”

“Darling,” he said as solemnly as he could, “I give you my word on this… I’ll make sure the Duke’s hearse isn’t pulled by ducks.”

Julie made that pfff-pffth sound he loved, then elbowed him harder than necessary in the ribs.

“And I won’t go off to war again. Once was enough.”

“Thank you.”

Leo took a moment to think about how to ask the next question on his mind.

“Julie?”

“Hmm?”

“There’s something strange going on in Buckingham Palace,” he said. “Or at least there was before I came home—I could tell the minute I walked in there. It’s making Mother and Father unhappy. No one will tell me what it is. When I ask, they all either act like they don’t know what I’m talking about or tell me it doesn’t concern me. Or they put me off—‘We’re so glad to have you back, let’s honor the Duke, let’s not talk about anything else.’ I even asked Chris. Bless him, he said, ‘They said I wasn’t to talk about it,’ and then he wouldn’t say anything more.”

“Well, the Prime Minister is worried. Some of his Radical supporters are joining the Chartists.”

“No, whatever this is, it’s not just politics. Mother has that look. As though if she had the power, there’d be heads on pikes all along London Bridge.”

Pfff-pffth.

“Something is wrong in the palace, Julie. And whatever it is, I doubt it will go away entirely while we tend to honoring His Grace.”

“You’re right.” Julie paused. “They say Lady Flora is increasing.”

“Oh.” That was awkward. Lady Flora Elizabeth Rawdon-Hastings was in her thirties and unmarried—indeed, unattached to any man as far as Leo knew. “Any idea who the father is?”

“No.”

“And I suppose word’s gotten out?”

“Yes. We don’t know who talked. Mother thinks it was Anna Duchess of Bedford.”

“Oh.” That happened to be the sister-in-law of Lord John Russell. Which was likewise awkward. “So how big a scandal is this?”

“Too big. All the Tories are talking about it. The Archbishop has done three different sermons about the sin of lust and female propriety and chastity in high places.”

“Of course he would. It’s not as though there were anything more important going on.” Leo sighed. “Three sermons… and those are just the ones everyone stayed awake long enough to hear. So what does Flora have to say for hersef?”

“She says it never happened. She says she’s still a virgin. She’s been asking to see Stockmar again to prove it.”

Leo took a moment to choose his next words.

“I don’t mean to speak ill of her,” he said slowly, “but unless the Second Coming really is at hand… I don’t suppose any man has stepped forward to admit his part in it?”

As soon as the words left his mouth, he realized they were innuendo. Julie was already spluttering again. “Wicked boy.” She was silent for a moment at that.

“It isn’t a joke,” she said. “Mother thinks if she’s pregnant, then it happened to her against her will.”

Leo’s fingers gripped the bedsheets.

“What?”

“That she did not want it—”

“No, I heard you. Just… what?” Leo fumbled for words. “If somebody—if there’s a man at the palace who would… who’s…”

“I think the English word is ‘rapist’.”

“Bloody hell, Julie, my sisters live there! Whoever did that should be… be…” Leo’s imagination failed him.

“Mother said when they find him, they should take him on the Antarctic expedition and leave him there.”

“That would suffice. Barely.”

“I’m sure no one would dare trouble your sisters.”

“That’s very cold comfort. It’s Buckingham Palace. No one should be unsafe there.”

“Of course.”

“It would disgrace the whole kingdom if… no wonder Mother’s so angry.” She’s so protective of the servants. And she so hates this sort of gossip. And—wait a second. “You keep saying ‘if she’s pregnant.’ Is there any doubt?”

Julie was silent for a moment.

“The doctor said more than six weeks ago she was starting to swell. By now she should be big in the belly. If anything, she’s thinner. Not so swollen.”

“So either she’s found a way to… not be pregnant any longer… or it’s something else.”

“And—you’ve seen women when they’re pregnant. They look healthy. They…”

“They glow.”

“They glow. She does not glow. She looks sick.”

July 10, 1839
Buckingham Palace

Leo followed the servant into a small room in the service area. He was a little surprised to see not only Mother, but Amelia and the other two sisters in the room.

“Thank you for coming,” said Amelia. Lady Flora was being held up by Elphie, who Leo knew looked to her as a kind of older sister. Flora looked downright gaunt, and her skin was a couple of shades yellower than Leo remembered.

Baron Stockmar, the Royal Physician, looked more ashamed than Leo had ever seen him. “I’ve made a terrible blunder, Your Highness,” he said. “Her ladyship is not pregnant and never was. She is unwell.”

Apologies for the delayed reply.

Hmm not much on Post War America yet. But the differences between Richmond ad Charleston are intriguing. OTL the upper South was drawn into the same radicalism, as the Deep South in many instances; but ITTL it looks like the break up of the slavers may continue.

The Stabler's seem on a collision course with the planter elite. Their abolitionism is growing more apparent and this marriage might be seen as a final rejection of any potential alliance and reconciliation. Antislaver forces in Virginia, unlike OTL ,seem to have an internal figure to rally to in the Stabler family as things escalate.

I had thought the event in 1840 to kick off the Troubles would be an assassination of a prominent politician, but now I wonder if the Stablers might be the target instead.

The Dark Goddess on the Back of the Goat (3)
Yikes. Still I like the way you focus on the human level of these elites.

A very human touch that has me following the TL quite closely. @Lycaon pictus ability to humanize even the worst people has made me a pretty staunch fan.
Thank you. As a writer, I appreciate it.
Hmm not much on Post War America yet. But the differences between Richmond ad Charleston are intriguing. OTL the upper South was drawn into the same radicalism, as the Deep South in many instances; but ITTL it looks like the break up of the slavers may continue.

The Stabler's seem on a collision course with the planter elite. Their abolitionism is growing more apparent and this marriage might be seen as a final rejection of any potential alliance and reconciliation. Antislaver forces in Virginia, unlike OTL ,seem to have an internal figure to rally to in the Stabler family as things escalate.
The reaction of the planter elite to the Stablers is in the process of going from "They're Quakers, what do you expect?" to "They'll come around when they see how awesome we are" to "Wait, now they're waiting for us to come around."
And now for something completely different…

August 9, 1839
about 2 a.m.
Mount Greylock Observatory

Over a thousand meters above sea level, far from the smells of farm life and the worse smells of towns, the night air was delicious and pleasantly cool even at the height of summer. Edward R. Pickering[1] held a lantern up to his watch to make a note of the exact time, then closed the panels on his lantern. They would need the light to make notes by, but the initial observations had to be done in the dark. Prof. Strong[2] did the same with his own lantern.

Nearly six years ago, they, like all their students and the rest of the nation, had borne witness to the greatest meteor shower in memory. The skies on November 17, 1833, had been filled with silent white fireworks, radiating out of the constellation Leo[3]. Joseph Smith and his Cumorites had said it was a sign that the Second Coming was at hand. The fact that the Second Coming hadn’t come didn’t seem to have discouraged anyone of that strange creed. And for the rest of the nation, it had been a brief, beautiful moment of awe in what was otherwise a fairly dismal year.

Four years ago, Halley’s Comet had arrived. Where the Leonid shower that year had been an unexpected pleasure, the comet had arrived with punctuality a train service might have envied. All the students had gone out to make sketches of it, trying to come to some sort of agreement on the size and conformity of its tail. It was best not to try to compare their results.

More recently, astronomers in London, Königsberg, and St. Petersburg[4] had measured the distances to nearby stars, and those distances were such that the human mind simply could not accommodate them—hundreds of thousands of times the distance from the Earth to the Sun, which was already beyond imagining.[5] And then there was this new art of… either photography or argentography, depending on whom you asked,[6] which was taking hold in Paris, London, and Hannover. It was in its infancy, and needed strong light and a still subject, but it had already been used to capture some excellent images of the full moon. Pickering certainly wished he had a camera with the power to record what he was about to see. But tonight’s observations, if he and Strong were right, could easily be made by others and would… well… eclipse all the other discoveries of this decade put together.

The last shreds of cloud were leaving the southern sky. “It looks clear enough now,” said Pickering as he sat down to look through the telescope. “And if the weather holds”—Pickering looked to the west briefly—“we’ll have at least two hours of good viewing. More than we need.” Strong nodded.

The 40-cm achromatic lens and 3.6 meters of focal length made this the most powerful telescope in the Western Hemisphere, and tonight they had a task worthy of its might—to find a celestial object that according to Strong was currently well over four billion[7] kilometers distant from Earth. Pickering already had it pointed in more or less the right direction. A few adjustments, and…

It was inevitable that at a moment such as this, the line from Keats’ “On First Looking into Chapman’s Homer” would come to mind:

Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a new planet swims into his ken;

But while the late John Keats[8] was a magnificent poet, he wasn’t an astronomer. Such things were never that simple. To discover a planet and confirm that it was a planet, you had to document changes in its position, and that could not be done in a single night.

And there was no element of surprise here. They already knew that somewhere in the outer darkness lurked an invisible titan, a planet of awesome size lit by no sun—or almost none. They had known this since the time of the great Alexis Bouvard, who showed how the dark planet’s gravity affected the orbit of Uranus. Thanks to Strong’s calculations, the two of them had a good notion of where to find it.

In a way, Mount Greylock was better suited to this sort of work than other sites in drier climes. Moonless summer nights that were clear enough for stargazing didn’t happen every month. The last observations had been nearly two months ago, before first light on June 14—almost the first thing the new telescope had seen. But the dark planet, if it existed (and by now Pickering felt quite sure that was what he had seen) was so far away and moved so slowly in its orbit that the incremental changes in its visible position from night to night lay well within the margin of error for any measurement done by human hand and eye. Fifty-six days was time enough for a measurable change in the planet’s position.

Last time, it had been midway between Iota and Theta Capricorni, a fleck of deep, rich blue against the black of space, very near the plane of the ecliptic. Pickering raised his eye to the 15-mm lens (something of a compromise—a smaller lens would have offered greater magnification, but a larger one could take in more of the sky) and looked at this site first, confirming that it was not there now. If Strong’s calculations were correct, it should be much closer to Theta Capricorni.

One arc-second at a time, the telescope moved. There was Theta Capricorni—the star called Dorsum, the back of the goat—and practically next to it… Yes. There you are. Right within a degree of where my friend said you’d be. You’ve been hiding from our kind since the first man looked up at the night sky, but now we have found you out.[9]

“I see it,” he said, and reached for the steel ruler so that he could begin measuring the apparent distance of the planet from the various stars of Capricornus.

“It needs a name,” said Strong while he was measuring. “Perhaps we should name it after Bouvard. Or after ourselves, like a comet. Pickering-Strong? Strong-Pickering?”

“I almost think we should name it ‘Adams’,” said Pickering, gesturing at the telescope which the late ex-president’s bequest had paid for. “But… Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Adams? Doesn’t quite sound right, does it?” He chuckled. “And I imagine the rest of the world’s astronomers would have a thing or two to say about that. There are still some good classical names we can use. A student of mine—Eleanor Beecher, lovely girl—suggested ‘Nyx’ after the Greek goddess of night.” He moved aside so the mathematician could take a look while he wrote down his observations.

“It fits,” said Strong. “Far from the sun, can only be seen on the darkest nights by those who know where to look… yes.”

Of course, it would be a while before the rest of the world could acknowledge their discovery at all. They weren’t likely to be able to have their findings published within the next two months, and at some point in October the dark planet would become invisible to even the best telescopes, its indigo glow too much like the color of twilight. So what? Nyx will appear again next summer. Our lady in blue has been moving in the same circle since the beginning of the solar system. She isn’t going anywhere.

[1] Father of astronomers Edward Charles and William Henry Pickering ITTL.
[2] Theodore Strong, a professor of mathematics at nearby Williams College.
[3] The Leonid meteor shower of 1833 was particularly vivid IOTL as well.
[4] Henderson, Bessel, and Struve, respectively.
[5] No one has been yet able to measure the speed of light accurately enough to feel comfortable using the light-year as a measure of distance. They’re working on it.
[6] Photography (a term invented in France) is actually the more common term. The British are using argentography just to be different from France, but this term will eventually serve to distinguish the silver chloride and silver iodide methods used by Nièpce, Daguerre, Talbot and others from later methods.
[7] The British at this point would say “milliard,” but in American English, billion has always meant 1,000 million.
[8] He died of cholera last year, which is still 17 years longer than he lived IOTL. He leaves behind his wife Frances, or “Fanny,” and two surviving children, Charles Clarke Keats and Thea Margaret Keats.
[9] I got the astronomical data from this site. And according to this site, the telescope described here would have a magnifying power of 240x and be able to resolve objects down to +15.4 magnitude—more than enough to see Neptune on a clear night. The trick would be getting it pointed in exactly the right direction.

So the number of "female" planets will be 2 in thus timeline
(I font count Terra as its a more non gendered name than the others)

Something to the side and away from all the conflict and politics helps flesh this out a bit more and interesting to see how this field develops differently. Good work.

Half Slave, Half Free (1)
To understand the roots of Niagaran radicalism, we must first free our minds of two enduring myths.

The first is that put out by William Arthur Silkworthy, who despite what he later became is still seen by too many as a reliable authority on the state where he grew up. In “The Roar of the Waters,” his oft-quoted article in the January 1911 Greeley’s Monthly, he traced the state’s radicalism to its conquest in the War of 1837, famously dismissing the state’s history of radicals as “the pain of an Anglo-Saxon people caught between Crown and Constitution, forever dissatisfied with the status quo but unable to express why”—a roundabout way of saying “the natives are restless.” This obscurantist interpretation long found favor among both Americans and British not through its own merit, but because ideologically driven writers found their own uses for it. In America, conservative politicians were only too happy to have an excuse to dismiss the appeals of Niagaran radicals, and were no doubt sorry they couldn’t apply it to radicals from every other state as well. In the United Kingdom, pro-Empire historians (see endnotes for examples) used it to disparage the outcome of the war and absolve the Empire of any blame in the matter. In any case, a cursory reading of state history reveals that Niagara-born radicals were often quite adept at expressing the causes of their discontent. Silkworthy was, as usual, merely giving voice to his own idiosyncratic feeling of being torn between two worlds.

The second is the idea put forward by Charles Wine in his biography of Robert Owen. Wine writes, “To this day [The Life of Robert Owen having been published in 1900] the American state of Niagara elects far more radicals to public office than Michigan or upstate New York. This, too, is part of the legacy of Port Harmony.” While it is true that almost every socialist in the world (democratic or otherwise) draws upon the Port Harmony experiment both for inspiration and warning, and Elmar himself called it “the most instructive of all utopian experiments to date,” the fact remains that references to Port Harmony in local newspapers (either before or after the War of 1837) are few and short, and the correspondence of Morgan and Mackenzie makes no mention of it at all outside their letters to Gourlay. Even in the 1820s and 1830s, the average British or American settler in the area regarded Port Harmony as an irrelevant experiment carried out by strange radicals who were physically as distant from Kent-Strathearn as Knoxville or Portland, at the far end of not one but two of the world’s largest lakes.

In place of these myths, we must consider a single salient fact: Niagara was radical before it was Niagara. All of Canada, but especially southern Upper Canada, had been frustrated and radicalized by elite dominance of political and economic life in the colony, and it was that frustration and radicalism that triggered the revolt in the Canadas. This revolt in turn served as pretext for the U.S. Congress to declare war. President Berrien famously did not want any part of Britain’s Canadian possessions, and (after the state constitutional convention rebuffed his personal written pleas and forbade slavery or involuntary servitude) needed four days and considerable pressure to make him sign the bill that granted Niagara statehood. American historiography (especially that aimed at younger students) makes much of the Canadian revolt and less of Berrien’s ambitions, but because a thing is often taught to pre-adolescents does not make it untrue. And only in Upper Canada did the revolt against the Family Compact become a revolt against British authority—Lower Canada, which rose up against the Château Clique at the same time, remained loyal and spurned Winfield Scott’s offers of assistance. Only in this light may we understand the decisions made by the Toronto Convention as they met in the old Parliament building and set about crafting the state constitution. Their task was not simply to provide the state with the constitution, but to break the remaining power of the Compact and ensure that no such network of power could ever rise again.

The very first decision to be made by the provisional government was, of course, what to call the territory. They had initially failed to agree on Ontario, Erie, or Huron, and the number of suggestions had only increased the longer they debated, from three to nine (see Table 5). On June 3, the convention decided to settle the issue in a referendum, which of course raised the question of who was to vote in that referendum and when it was to take place. The convention took this opportunity to open the franchise to males over the age of 21 who had resided in the territory for at least one year prior, and scheduled the event for July 30, giving the territory time to organize the referendum while ensuring that by the time the constitution was written, there would be a name to put at the top of the document. Of all the proposed names, Niagara—which the convention had added to the list at the last minute—received the largest vote, with 37,521 votes. (In a remarkable statistical anomaly, the least popular name, Interlacus, did not receive a single vote out of the 114,837 cast. For over a hundred years afterward, “Interlacus” was local slang for a proposition that received no support whatsoever.)…

The greatest difficulty for the convention was that although many Compact members had already fled for Peterborough, Kingston, and Bytown, the judiciary was still dominated by those who remained. As Morgan said, “Judges are an essential component of the process by which the lives, liberties, and property of the people are secured. We cannot simply abolish the judiciary and do without them until some better institution can be built. Yet the judges that we have at present are as much a threat as a safeguard.”

Thus, Article III of the state constitution declared that all Niagaran judges, up to the state Supreme Court, would serve at the pleasure of the Assembly and would need to be re-approved every year. One by one, the Compact judges could either change their ways or be replaced as new judges emerged from the ranks of the state’s lawyers. Between this, universal adult male suffrage and proportional representation in both the State Assembly and congressional delegation, the constitution was as Compact-proof as it could be made…

Gregory Bartok, Radicalism, Democracy, and Republicanism in the United States

And the first chapter of Niagaran state politics begins.
With a cheeky reference to the poll as well.

And a constant yearly need of approval for its judges, I wonder if other state would try to implement it....

P/s: IMO the exact (Latin-sounding?) variant of Interlacus seem a bit too un-American (and somehow even weirder for a Canadian name) and a name that the King of England would give to a territory.