I know this is going back a bit, but what exactly happened in Savannah? And how did a British sailor end up involved in a case of the Second Bank vs a canal company?
The British sailor and the bank/canal case were two separate cases. But both the canal company slaves and the black sailor, John Glasgow, happened to be in the same courtroom at the same time, and escaped together, stealing weapons in the process. Some slaves went south along the coast and escaped to Florida, while Glasgow tried to lead the rest back to his ship. The group heading for the ship was cornered in the harbor district by the Georgia militia. It was night, so in addition to all the gunfire, the militia were carrying torches and lanterns. Also, the harbor district was basically one big fire hazard, with lots of flammable material carelessly stockpiled. At some point, one or more of these desperate escapees and affronted militiamen made a mistake and started a fire that suffocated everyone involved and destroyed their corpses.

The British sailor and the bank/canal case were two separate cases. But both the canal company slaves and the black sailor, John Glasgow, happened to be in the same courtroom at the same time, and escaped together, stealing weapons in the process. Some slaves went south along the coast and escaped to Florida, while Glasgow tried to lead the rest back to his ship. The group heading for the ship was cornered in the harbor district by the Georgia militia. It was night, so in addition to all the gunfire, the militia were carrying torches and lanterns. Also, the harbor district was basically one big fire hazard, with lots of flammable material carelessly stockpiled. At some point, one or more of these desperate escapees and affronted militiamen made a mistake and started a fire that suffocated everyone involved and destroyed their corpses.
Thanks, just marathoned through 20years over the last two days, might have missed a few details.

Quids Pro Quo? (2)
Let me know if I made any mistakes in this one. I'm literally not a rocket scientist.

May 11, 1836
Bolivar Heights, Virginia

Harpers Ferry lay on the blunt peninsula between the Shenandoah and the Potomac. The town of Bolivar was immediately adjacent, on the Shenandoah. The long, wooded ridge west of the two towns was Bolivar Heights.

Joseph Henry and John H. Hall stood on the summit of Bolivar Heights, looking west across the valley to the next ridge. Henry was trying to aim at something on the near slope of that ridge.

The target was, literally, the broad side of a barn—an unused barn on abandoned farmland—but it was a full kilometer away, give or take a few meters. He was sure the rocket could hit the thing, provided he aimed it right.

Henry had been interested in science since he was sixteen. After Bloody May he’d decided to go into rocketry, hoping to create a weapon that could let the United States hold off its former ruler. Ten years after that, he’d met Walter Hunt, who was a regular fountain of ideas. Between the two of them, they’d developed the weapon he was showing off today—a round-headed cylinder of black iron, 58 centimeters long, with three curved nozzles at the end, resting on an iron tripod.[1] Demonstrating the Henry-Hunt rocket to John Hancock Hall, superintendent of the Harpers Ferry Armory, was the culmination of his life’s work, and he really didn’t want to make a botch of it.

Just to make a proper controlled experiment of this, he’d already fired two of the latest model of Congreve rockets at the barn. They’d flown maybe a little further, maybe a little straighter, than the rockets the British had used in the last war, but neither of them had come anywhere near the target.

But then, Henry wasn’t here to prove that Congreves were unreliable at any range. Everyone already knew that. He was here to prove that his and Walter’s weapon was reliable. And even if it flew perfectly straight, at this range one degree of error in aiming would put it more than 17 meters off target—an equation he’d grown all too familiar with back in Albany. The barn was not that big. And just to keep things interesting, there was a light wind coming from the southwest.

Well, you’re as certain as you’re going to be. Might as well fire it off. Henry took out his tinderbox and the lighting rod.

Hall raised his hand. “Allow me,” he said, and took a small, sealed metal box out of this pocket. The word ALLUMETTES was stamped on the lid. He took out a small wooden stick, coated with something at one end, then carefully sealed the box. Then he took out a small file and quickly scraped the coated end of the stick against the rough part. It lit with a tiny, brilliant flame and a sudden smell of sulfur. Henry had heard of these new French matches, but never seen one used yet.

Hall lit the fuse. They both stepped back.

The rocket took off, its exhaust forming a brief screwlike pattern in the air as it spun in flight. It exploded within a few meters of the right distance, a little higher than he’d intended. The fireball just barely scorched the upper corner of the south side of the barn.

Henry shut his eyes. Failure. “I aimed too high,” he said. “And I think I overcompensated for the wind.”

“Don’t trouble yourself over it,” said Hall. “You’ve shown that if nothing else, this weapon is superior to the Congreve. And it’s your own patent—yours and Mr. Hunt’s, I should say?”

“Yes.”

“I imagine a larger rocket would do more damage.”

“We are working on larger models,” said Henry, “but the 10-kilo model can be easily carried by a man on foot and fired from anywhere—even places where field artillery would be impractical. And while a larger rocket would expand the area of effect, it would only do so only by the cube root of the weight of explosive.

“The bad news is that as of now, there is one factory in Albany producing these rockets. The worse news is that the very first time we deploy these rockets against the British, some pieces of them will survive and end up in their hands. Those pieces will be enough to allow the enemy to duplicate this weapon. I doubt it will be more than a year before rockets like this are being used against our men. And Britain has more factories capable of this sort of fine work than we do.”

“So in the event of war, the Henry-Hunt rocket will give us a temporary advantage—and the more of them we have, the greater the advantage.”

Henry nodded.

“Unless of course there are so many of these rockets around that the British get hold of one before the war even begins.”

Henry bit his lip. “I hadn’t thought of that.”

Hall took another look through his spyglass. “Looks… not too bad.”

Henry looked through his own. Half the side of the barn was peppered with holes from canister and smoldering spots where bits of powder had landed on it.

“Any man standing there would be dead or dying,” said Hall. “But of course, if all we wanted was to slay men, we have firearms for that. The War Department and the Navy want a weapon that destroys ships.”

“No need to tell me about that,” said Henry. “I’m from New York State. Auckland has the St. Lawrence doing patrols again on Lake Ontario. That can’t be a good sign.”

Hall nodded. HMS St. Lawrence was a ship that had been cheated by history. It was a first-rate with 112 guns, it had been built in ten months, and in 1815 it had arrived at Sackett’s Harbor one day too late to participate in the battle. Then in 1817, the Navy had launched the 87-gun USS Great Chazy River, which—combined with the Natchez’ 87 guns—meant that the St. Lawrence itself was outgunned. Since then, all these ships had been laid up, too expensive to operate in peacetime… until this year.

“That’s one reason we’re trying to build a larger rocket,” Henry continued.

Hall nodded. “Mr. Henry, let me honest. You’ve walked into a rather… fraught situation here. Last year, a young fellow named Samuel Colt showed his plans for a new revolver to Goov—you know Goov Brown?”[2]

“Only by correspondence. A man of some enthusiasm.”

“You could say that. And he’s Secretary Benton’s right-hand man. Since then, Sam Colt’s taken over half the factory. It’s become something of a sore point—he thinks we should be making more revolvers, I think we should be making more rifles, and right now nobody thinks we’re making enough of either. We can’t possibly divide our facilities a third way.”

“Is there any possibility of expansion?”

“I wish there were. So does Sam. And so does Goov—if he had his way, Harpers Ferry and Bolivar together would be bigger than Pittsburgh. The Staircase[3] has power to spare, but Congress doesn’t have money to spare. We’re able to operate because there’s a market for rifles and revolvers even in peacetime, but…”

“But these rockets are weapons of war. Not much use to a deerhunter.”

Hall nodded. “If you can find a civilian application for them, God grant you success.” He sighed. “It’s not hopeless. Goov says the Dutch are arming clients in Africa and rebels in the Philippines, and the Army’s making some money selling them muskets. Perhaps next year we’ll be able to afford a workshop for you.” He looked at the target again through his spyglass. “Scorched, but that’s all. I hoped it might catch fire, but…”

“I’m not sure I aimed properly.”

“Even if you had, a ship-of-the-line’s hull is much stronger than any barn.” Hall looked thoughtful for a moment. “Tell me something—is there a reason the head must be filled with gunpowder?”

[1] This weapon is almost identical to a Hale rocket. If you’re wondering what William Hale is up to ITTL, at the moment he, Michael Faraday, and Charles Wheatstone are in Hannover, taking part in the cutting-edge research in electromagnetics and electrical applications.
[2] Gouverneur How Brown, oldest son of Gen. Jacob Jennings Brown, who IOTL drowned in an ice-skating accident in December of 1816 at age 12.
[3] The Shenandoah rapids near Harpers Ferry and Bolivar. Hall uses the water power to drive some of his machines.

Quids Pro Quo? (3)
October 4, 1836
New Orleans

Hamilton Fish supposed it was one of the advantages of such a tiny nation—and one where everything of any importance happened within a single city— that a new president could be inaugurated so soon after the election. This Andre Roman was now standing on the first balcony over the entrance to the Hôtel de l République, preparing to speak. Fish and the rest of the ambassadors were in the lobby behind, where they could hear but not be seen.

A little over three years had passed since he’d replaced Edward Douglass White, Sr., as U.S. ambassador to Louisiana. He still couldn’t help thinking of this snuffbox-sized “republic” as a farce—three members of the Cabinet, including the Minister of War, were British officials. Yet Louisianans themselves didn’t see it that way. As far as they were concerned, this election was real and consequential, and the Radicals had won.

On the subject of radicals, Fish was standing between Charles Jeanne and Francesco Saverio Labriola, who were, respectively, the French and Italian ambassadors to Louisiana. Both of them, he knew, were grimly amused at the Radical Party calling itself “Radical.” They finally came up with a position on slavery — “let us make the slaves more comfortable” was how Jeanne had put it yesterday. The ambassadors of Tehuantepec and Gran Colombia were nearby. Meetings like this were a chance for allies to exchange information, assuming any of them had been given any.

Across the lobby, Fish spotted UK ambassador to Louisiana George H. Rose and the ambassador from Hanover, whose name he couldn’t recall. The Spanish and Dutch ambassadors were in opposite corners, studiously ignoring each other.

Although Fish had only learned Parisian French, he was more or less able to follow Roman’s speech. The surprising thing was how little he said about slavery. He made passing mention of his plans to step up enforcement of the Black Codes, promising that “we remember the horrors brought to light not ten minutes’ walk from this place[1], and we vow never to permit such things again.”

About half the speech was about the problems in agriculture. Fish had grown up in New York City, and was no expert on this subject, but it sounded as though the Louisianans had reached the limits of how much land they could grow cotton and sugar on, and were now trying to figure out how to make the most of the land they had, which apparently would mean leaving some of the land fallow or growing other things on it to restore its fertility. Our planters have the same problem, don’t they? Unless they can expand further… He’d thought of the Radicals as the urban party, so it surprised him to hear so much talk of rural concerns. But then, while New Orleans was a very respectable city by North American standards, it wasn’t big enough to win an election all by itself, so the Radicals couldn’t just be the party of the city.[2]

A few people back home had noticed the Radical victory. Some of them were Dead Roses who’d written to him, asking if the new government would be any more inclined to reconciliation with the U.S. (He’d had to tell them no.) Then there was his fellow New Yorker William H. Seward, party whip for the Populists in the House of Representatives. Fish wondered if he was looking for ideas. And by all accounts, the Berrien-Daggett[3] and Morton-Rankin[4] tickets were campaigning vigorously across the country, reaching out to people from all walks of life in much the same way the Radicals had done here.

No one expected the Radicals to win, but it happened. And last year in London, the Whigs did so badly that Grey had to step aside for Brougham. And the Quids nearly won the House two years ago. Does Sergeant understand the seriousness of the situation?

In the summer of 1836, with Britain’s economy still mired in the Hiemal Period, there were two great celebrations in London that changed not only British culture, but the culture of much of the world. The first of these was the June 30 celebration decreed by Parliament at the request of Queen Charlotte, to note the completion of the emancipation process and the final end of slavery in the British Empire. This was the first Emancipation Day, which the queen described as “a day of rejoicing in freedom, and praise to God for leading our nation on the path of wisdom and compassion.” Although the Jamaican assemblyman Robert Osborn, in London at the time, famously dismissed the festivities as “an extravaganza of white self-congratulation,” Emancipation Day became a major national holiday throughout the British West Indies, and (back in London) a day that would soon be co-opted by Chartists[5] and other radicals for the purpose of advocating other great reforms.
The second was the August 8 wedding of Leopold Prince of Wales to Princess Julia of Denmark. In the same way that the weddings of Napoleon II and Achille I cemented the white and gold wedding dress in the culture of France, Italy and the United States, the traditional British wedding dress—red or burgundy (madder red for preference) with white trim—has its origins in the August wedding of Prince Leopold and Princess Julia. Ironically enough, the dress was based on the national colors of Denmark…
P.G. Sherman, A Cultural History of Early Charlottean Britain

August 1, 1836
The Thames

The breeze over the river had finally picked up, blowing the smoke from the engine away from the steamboat. The greatest city in the world was up ahead. Christian wished he could take some pleasure in the sight. (The smell was another matter. With London the greatest city in the world, this stretch of the Thames was perforce the greatest sewer. No one could be expected to take pleasure in that.)

“Magnificent, isn’t it?” said Julia Louisa in Danish.

Christian shook his head. He accepted that Britain was stronger, but to stand around admiring that strength was too much.

“What’s wrong with you, Kris? I’m eighteen years old and I’m about to get married and spend the rest of my life in a foreign country, and you’re the one who’s upset.”

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Kris, please. We’ve had this whole trip. The wedding is a week from today. Please tell me you’re not still angry.”

“Juli, think. Would it really be better—“

“In English, please.” She switched to the other language more easily than he ever could.

“Why?”

“The servants are listening. If you’re going to raise your voice, the least you could do is let them know it’s…”

“Would - it - better - if - I - don’t - care?” He was fairly sure he had butchered his English there, but… well, that was the point. He didn’t like English. Juli looked like she was fighting the urge to correct him.

Let me try that again. “If I say — ‘Denmark is weak. Other countries do what they like with us. Og hvad så? I don’t care. I am still a prince. I will be king one day. There are still people I command. My life is good.’ If I say this… would it be better?”

“Well, Father…” She shook her head, as if thinking better of finishing that sentence. “It does not help to be unhappy over what you can’t change. Denmark is weak. Next to Britain, next to France, we will always be weak. This marriage makes us safer.”

“Easy for you. You’re a woman. You’re…” She gave him That Look while he searched his memory for the right English word. “People allow you to be weak. They don’t… judge you if you’re weak.”

“They judge all women for being weak.”

This isn’t fair, he thought. How am I supposed to win this argument if we hold it in a language I barely know?

“Maybe not all women,” Julie continued. “No one thinks Charlotte is weak. But, Kris, Prussia took more from us than Britain ever did—”

“Jeg ved! Slesvig, Holsten… I know.” He couldn’t exactly forget. They were still known to the world as Prince Christian and Princess Julia of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck, even though Prussia had taken all four of those places in the last war, still held them and showed no sign of willingness to return them. In contrast, Britain had only stolen ships—ships that would be obsolete by now anyway.

“It didn’t stop you from going to school there.”

“Yes. I study there. I make friends there. But always thinking a little, ‘remember what they took from you, remember what they took from you.’”

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

“I go to school in Prussia. But I come back to Denmark. You… you said yourself—this is marriage. This is your whole life. Princess Consort of the United Kingdom. Queen one day.” He dropped back into Danish. “I’ll behave myself for the wedding. I won’t say a word against Prince Leopold, or Britain, or the alliance. But I will never stop looking for a chance to regain what we lost.”

[1] The crowd is in what IOTL would be Jackson Square. The LaLaurie mansion is less than half a mile away.
[2] Fish doesn’t know this, but Roman spent his formative years on a sugarcane plantation.
[3] David Daggett, a Connecticut lawyer and politician who has joined the Tertium Quids out of a desire to screw over black people as thoroughly as possible, and who John M. Berrien chose as his running mate in the hopes of getting more northern support.
[4] Marcus Morton, a former Massachusetts governor, running on a Populist/Liberation unity ticket with John Rankin.
[5] As IOTL, the People’s Charter hasn’t been written yet, but again as IOTL, Radicals are not satisfied with the reforms that have taken place—some of which, like the Poor Law, are making things worse.

Last edited:
How strong is Mexican military?
The army isn't as big as it was a few years ago, but still at about 25,000—since Iturbide's coup attempt, the army has resisted efforts to demobilize it too much. About a fifth of that is stationed in Tejas, fighting the Comanche.
As for the navy, New Spain depends on the Spanish navy—building its own would be too much a statement of independence. Problem is, Spain's navy is mostly busy with the Dutch right now.

What mexico diplomatic relationship with it's neighbors and european major powers
Officially, New Spain is still in the Spanish Empire, so Spain's allies and enemies are its allies and enemies. That means being friendly with Britain, Portugal, Hanover, and Denmark, not so friendly with France, Italy, or the U.S. Until the start of last year, it meant being friendly with the Netherlands.
Unofficially, there's one big difference—New Spain is much friendlier toward Tehuantepec than the government in Madrid. More details here.

Things still frosty between Louisiana and US, I see. The issue with the land limits is starting to be felt, which could have some rather harsh implications down the line alright. How strained are things between the two nations at the moment? Hopefully the Poor Law will get more looked into than before and something better comes along much sooner than OTL.

Things still frosty between Louisiana and US, I see. The issue with the land limits is starting to be felt, which could have some rather harsh implications down the line alright. How strained are things between the two nations at the moment? Hopefully the Poor Law will get more looked into than before and something better comes along much sooner than OTL.
As you say, things are normally pretty uncomfortable. There's this mutual feeling of betrayal, made worse by the fact that trade brings the U.S. and Louisiana into constant contact. Picture a couple that went through a really nasty divorce but can't stop running into each other at social occasions.

Right now, on the Louisiana side a lot of their wealthiest and most influential citizens owned U.S. state bonds and shares in the canals (the theory being "hey, these canals are going to cost us money anyway, we might as well get some of it back.") So, like people in a lot of other countries, they've had an extra reason to be mad at the U.S. for the past few years. Add to that that you've got Southerners trying to talk the Louisianans into rejoining the U.S. freely while other Americans are talking about how great it would be to reconquer Louisiana. On the American side, these sound like two different groups of people. On the Louisianan side, it sounds like one voice mixing threats with cajoling, like the world's biggest, creepiest, scariest stalker.

On the American side, for those who aren't personally bitter over Louisiana's secession, feelings are less intense. But they regard the dispute as being like getting into an argument with somebody else's footman (or house slave, if they're Southern). Like Ambassador Fish, they keep being surprised that Louisianans don't think of themselves as British puppets.

Like Ambassador Fish, they keep being surprised that Louisianans don't think of themselves as British puppets.

A real treat to see more the republic on the Delta.

How is the culture of Louisiana developing different to OTL and the ITTL US South? Both the urban and rural setting.

I hope Louisiana gets the chance to assert itself as its own nation. What will that take exactly?

Glad you're all enjoying it.
I hope we get some more elaboration on the Sulu War than the pretty vague details so far.
I was just thinking the next update could use a little something extra…
A real treat to see more the republic on the Delta.

How is the culture of Louisiana developing different to OTL and the ITTL US South? Both the urban and rural setting.

I hope Louisiana gets the chance to assert itself as its own nation. What will that take exactly?
Being separate from the U.S. these twenty years has allowed Louisiana's attitudes on race to go their own way. They're not less racist exactly, but it's a different kind of racism, more like Cuba or Brazil. Whiteness is a matter of degree.

Case in point—plaçage and quadroon balls are much more widespread and accepted than IOTL. (Don't take the name too literally—the women at these balls, while always part-white, are not necessarily three-fourths white.) Rich white guys in New Orleans and some of the other towns openly court mistresses in the free black community, who gain financial security and the status that comes from lighter-skinned offspring in exchange for sex. This is all seen as dreadfully scandalous in the United States, especially the slave states where interracial sex is supposed to be secret, never spoken of, and strictly nonconsensual.

Another difference between OTL's 19th-century state of Louisiana and TTL's 19th-century Republic of Louisiana is that in things like roadsigns, court proceedings, the legislature, etc., the republic actively encourages the use of French, to a much greater degree than IOTL. This is their way of maintaining cultural independence not only from the United States, but from the British Empire.

A result of this is that New Orleans draws as much cultural influence from Paris as from London, even though from their point of view France is their enemy's greatest ally and their protector's greatest enemy. If you were at one of those quadroon balls (for whatever reason) you might see one planter's son or cotton and sugar broker dressed in last year's fashion from London, while another one was wearing a similarly outdated Parisian outfit. And if you attended the weddings in New Orleans (hopefully while keeping your mouth shut about having seen the groom at a quadroon ball) you might see one bride in a white and gold wedding gown, and next week a bride in a red and white gown.

The awkward thing, from a Louisianan point of view, is that both London and Paris have turned firmly against slavery. There's nobody like Dew or Calhoun to provide an intellectual/moral case for the institution that powers their economy, especially after the LaLaurie horrors. Louisianans who think about the future feel like they're on a train going the wrong direction but can't jump off without breaking their legs.

Another big difference is not in Louisiana, but in the U.S. In the American south at this time IOTL, the big cities—the admired and resented centers of culture—were New Orleans and Charleston, very much in that order. ITTL, Charleston isn't any bigger, but at the moment it's alone in its cultural influence. Mobile is a close second, and Savannah has dropped to third since the fire. New Orleans, from their point of view, is a foreign city full of race-mixing Catholic sinners where you go to trade, gamble, and lecture the prostitutes you have sex with about the sinfulness of plaçage.

TTL's Louisiana is and will always be a small nation, but its cultural influence will one day be far out of proportion to its size.

Glad you're all enjoying it.

SNIP

Thank you for the answer. Fascinating to see how this strange state is developing as its own nation and how it affects its neighbors in the States.

How do the Free states regard it these days? Or New Spain for that matter?

Is there a drive to further assert independence from the British Empire or is there a pervasive feeling that what they have got is the best they can get for the foreseeable future?

Do they have an official policy regarding slaves that escape from the USA and end up in the Republic; or vice versa?

Last edited: