So what happens to Berren now? What's the law?
Without the conviction from the Senate, an impeachment is just, well, an impeachment. It's a big loud "YOU SUCK" from the House to the President, but it doesn't have any legal force. Andrew Johnson served out his term after being impeached and tried (but failed) to get renominated.

Seems a bad precedent has been set for the republic.

No kidding, the POTUS blatantly overstepped his authority and is getting off. I will be surprised if there isn't at last one assassination attempt on Berrien before his term is done.

As for the Quids, they have saved Berrien but likely killed their party in the longterm. Say, how did Calhoun vote in the House?

I can certainly see why the TQ's only had one President with this. The party excusing blatant oversteps of power like this can't do well for the future of the Republic and is only going to increase the persecution complex some feel when it all goes the way of the pear.

One advantage I could see the Reform party having on a national stage going forward, aside from not being the party of Berrien, as opposed to the Quids in being a blatant white supremacist party, but not not defending the big planters; who I can't see Northerners and the growing Western vote supporting. Astoria might go for them with Austin in power and trying for his one race society, while hating the Quids for leaving him defenseless against the British.

Having reread part of the thread, to see Crockett was already sympathizing with the Reformists before the war, I could see him crossing the aisle to the Reform Party shortly, giving the Reformists their first Senator. Apparently the main thing keeping Crockett in the Quids was his status as a leader in the party, and with none of his fellow Quid Senators backing him up as Minority Leader, I could see Crockett rage quitting the Quids over such a humiliating betrayal; making him seem impotent as a figure in the party.

He could spin his defection as the Quids not only turning their backs on the laws of the nation but the senators actions convincing him internally reforming the party is futile. Even if Crockett loses his senate seat as result next election he will still bring the Reformists prestige as an alternative party to the Quids in the South and give them attention outside the South. If he can convince some Quid representatives who voted to impeach Berrien to follow his example Crockett could set himself up as a major player in a rising party.

Last edited:
Say, how did Calhoun vote in the House?
Calhoun voted against impeachment. (Just to wreck things even more, a lot of the Quids who voted for it are Northern Quids who are going to be the first against the wall when the midterms come.)
And yes, Crockett is going to be joining the Reformists, more out of necessity than conviction.

Calhoun voted against impeachment. (Just to wreck things even more, a lot of the Quids who voted for it are Northern Quids who are going to be the first against the wall when the midterms come.)
And yes, Crockett is going to be joining the Reformists, more out of necessity than conviction.

Thanks.

My guess then is with the party majority in congress, and the party boss, backing Berrien is that the Quids have maybe a decade left as a major party. There won't be wing votes for the Quids hardly after this, only the loyalists will be willing to stick it out.

And if the opposition to Berrien was the Northern Quids the party is about to become regional again. The Northern Quids in general, voters as well as politicians will, either go down with the Quids as it were or go back to the Dead Roses I expect.

The Troubles will kill the Quids I epxect, with them shriniking from voters defecting to the Reformists for a fresher Southern party aside from appeal to the antiplanter faction. And as it becomes clear the Quids will never bounce back i see many quids going back to the Dead Roses as the only national party remotely sympathetic to the Southern elite.

So I see the Quids either vanishing altother or the like Liberation Party becoming a radical aprty vocal but ignored mostly with a toehold in Congress. As for the partty sustem we get a three way divide. The Dead Roses as the 'establishment' party whih sells itself as being above regional interests and bing the party of stability. Rivaled by a divided populist/reform movement between the Populists and the Reformists, dominating the opposition in their respective regions and competing in the West. Elmar likely writes a chapter on it with DRP as elected elites dividing their opposition on questions of race and stuff.

Even if Crockett is purely pragmatic I expect he will still spin it as some ideals being at play too look better.

Um, Will there be atl Commmunism?

In Dutch (1)
Elmarism seem to be getting set up as a fill in for Marxism much as Aristism will be filling for Fascism.
Yep. And speaking of Elmar…

As a young man and a historian, for as long as I can remember I looked forward to the Grand Tour I was to have taken. There were many, many places in the world I wished to see. It was a trait I shared with my father, who often took our family on excursions either to other parts of France, or abroad.

These vacations were rewarding. In Milan in ’35 we had the privilege of being among the first to hear the great American composer Joseph Green conduct his sublime Symphony No. 1, after his graduation from the Conservatory and before his return to his homeland. At the time I must confess his work seemed pleasing, yet unremarkable; I should never have guessed the sublime quality of his later works.

In the summer of ’37, my father was too ill to travel, so I accompanied the family to London. There I spoke with young men who were planning to join the new regiments in anticipation of an easy victory against Russians, Greeks, or Americans—all of whom were thought to be equally hapless as enemies. I sometimes wonder how many of those young men returned to London, and how many of them were whole in body and mind when they did.

Father took us to the Netherlands more than once. For the first visit, which as I recall was in ‘27, he took only myself and Marguerite[1], as Mother was pregnant at the time. He was careful to instruct us to speak only Dutch and use the Dutch forms of our names.

Once (this would have been in the autumn of ’30, not long after the rebellion was put down) I was called to a meeting in the headmaster’s office, where a teacher I had never met before tested my “speaking skills” by asking me to describe my summer vacation with great thoroughness. Not until much later did I realize he had been an investigator with the secret police, looking for some hint that my father might be in league with the Dutch government. Of course, he was not, and I am very glad that nothing I said in my relative innocence gave that impression.

In ’33 Father felt safe taking the whole family, and making no effort to conceal our nationality. Which seemed odd, as the Dutch government had grown more loudly hostile towards the French, not less. But the louder the palace spoke, the less the average Dutchman on the street seemed to hear. In any event, Amsterdam in ’33 was a dreary place. The Hague in ’36, which I saw traveling alone, was even more so—so much so that I spent only a week there before going on to the excitement of Hannover and Göttingen. Ah, the Zukunftsbrückenkopf! Even before the war, it was an exciting place…

But it was on our London trip that we learned—from a family taking the whole of the funeral of the Queen of the Netherlands, the disruptions that accompanied it[2], and the king’s decision to suspend the States-General and rule by decree, blaming ‘Bonapartists’ for the state of agitation in his land. After that, Mother decided there would be no more trips to the Netherlands until the situation had calmed down there.

As it happened, that was the last such trip we took together as a family—Marguerite married in the fall, and her Luc took her to the new colony outside Bône.[3] And I, of course, was long since capable of choosing my own travel destinations.

That summer my friends and I went to Anvers—where, indeed, most of the intellectual life of the Netherlands seemed to already be happening, and the old prince[4] was the toast of the town. Regarding the Netherlands, my curiosity warred with my caution as regards to what might be happening there. Édouard, that rogue, decided for all of us: “Why risk syphilis from some toothless old whore or suffer the fumbling of some Polish peasant girl? There are clean Dutch maidens in Amsterdam who will do anything for the same number of francs!” I rather doubted that women willing to “do anything” would still be maidens by the time we arrived, but now I knew that if I went to Amsterdam, I would at least not be traveling alone.

And unlike myself, Édouard knew someone trustworthy who could take us up the coast and into Haarlem—though I think that since the passing of Talleyrand, the Dutch were a little less on their guard against us. (I have heard that in his illness, the old man lamented that he was suffering “the torments of the damned”—to which an unsympathetic onlooker replied, “Already?”[5])

Little did we imagine that the morning after we entered Amsterdam, we would find the city under quarantine…

Guillaume Georges Elmar, Notes Toward a Memoir

With the advent of the telegraph, it became possible for both national embassies and spies to relay secret information to their home government under the nose of the regime—provided it was done in code. The British Foreign Office, under Palmerston, was very quick to take advantage of this in communication with its overseas embassies. It was routine for an embassy to wire its messages to Anvers via the new system, and for this to include both official messages and personal messages from the ambassador and embassy staff. Palmerston used this to implement a steganographic null cipher which not only obscured the meaning of the secret message, but allowed it to look like a perfectly normal and innocuous uncoded message. If the message began with the words “GOOD MORNING,” it meant the following:
• The message (ostensibly coming from the ambassador or a member of his staff) was in fact intended to describe the activity of a part of the government. In the case of the embassy to France, the ambassador (George C. Canning in 1838) represented the Emperor and his staff, his wife represented the Imperial household, his secretary Mr. Cousins represented the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mr. and Mrs. Fletcher who ran the kitchen stood for (respectively) the French army and navy, and so on.
• Only every third line (beginning with “GOOD MORNING”) was significant—the rest was filler.
• Family names signified different nearby states. “Auclair” meant Austria, “Bacque” meant Baden, “Brizard” signified Britain, and so on.

Thus, the seemingly innocent message sent on July 10, 1838:

COUSINS BRITISH EMBASSY PARIS 071038 PNKT
GOOD MORNING PNKT
WEATHER STILL RAINY PNKT
MAKING FRIENDS WITH NEVEUX HOUSEHOLD STAFF PNKT
BOUGHT WIFE NEW DRESS PNKT
SHE LOVES PLUM AND ROSOLET PATTERN PNKT
LOU TAKING TRIP NORTH PNKT

…in fact meant that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs was undermining the government of the Netherlands (“Neveux”), and that…
P.G. Sherman, A History of 19th-Century Espionage

According to biologists, the species Homo sapiens defines the extreme margaritic end of the “spar-mar spectrum[6].” There is no creature on Earth that invests more time and effort into the care of individual offspring than we do, and no surer way to provoke us to violence than to harm them.

And the steps King William was taking to make it impossible to receive a smallpox vaccination within the Netherlands—culminating in his ’37 decree outlawing the practice altogether—were already known to be harmful, as shown by the effort that middle-class parents went to in order to circumvent them. In the north, they took their children to Emden and Nordhorn in Hanover, and in the east they went up the Rhine to Duisburg in Prussia—both kingdoms where universal vaccination was not merely encouraged but mandatory. From Rotterdam, the Hague, and Haarlem, day-trippers took steamboats not only to London, but to Southend, Colcester, Ipswich, Felixstowe, and in some cases as far north as Newcastle in search of a doctor who had time and vaccine to spare.

And in the south, they crossed the border to go to Nimègue, Bois-le-Duc[7], Bréda, and Middelbourg, where they could at least be fairly sure of finding a doctor who spoke Dutch—and Anvers, a sprawling city of half a million[8] where they might find any sort of doctor they needed. The Dutch-language newspapers in these cities had of course taken a dim view of William’s government all along, but their criticism no longer sounded like the Liberal or Jacobin party line—now it was far more detailed…

It was during the outbreak in the summer of 1839 that Samuel Sarphati first made a name for himself. At this point, he was a medical student in Leiden, not yet a doctor. But by June, many parents who couldn’t find a fully qualified doctor were willing to turn to medical students for assistance. He was more than willing to offer free assistance to the poor, of whatever religion, but there was little he could do beyond make their children more comfortable.

He spelled this out in his pamphlet, On the Treatment of Smallpox in the Body of the State, which he and several friends commandeered the university press in order to print. “Once smallpox has its hooks in a child’s body, there is little any man of medicine can do,” he wrote. “The only treatment is vaccination, and that must be administered before the sickness strikes. Those who have misled His Majesty in this matter must be held accountable.”

When the authorities came on July 16 to track down the people responsible for the pamplet, Sarphati confessed openly and claimed to have done all the work printing it himself. He was immediately arrested.

Word spread throughout the Netherlands that the king had arrested a man who had helped poor parents for free. With over fifteen thousand children already dead of smallpox and the outbreak not over yet, the streets in every city exploded with rage. As the ambassador from the Court of St. James wrote back July 26: “In Amsterdam today, the poorest Christians are rioting in support of a Jew. I do not like the monarchy’s chances.” Whitehall was thus given a little forewarning…

The ship carrying the news of the conquest of Mindanao, the Haai, took storm damage rounding the Horn and had to spend two months in Buenos Aires undergoing repairs. As a result, King William first learned of the conquest from Spanish sources, and at about the same time and in as much detail as his better-informed subjects did. This did not stop him from planning a public celebration on Sunday, July 29—the first public event of any kind he had permitted since his wife’s funeral—after the Haai’s arrival made the news official.

With the streets of Amsterdam under curfew in an attempt to suppress the rioting, the king hastily reduced the size of the event, rescinding the invitations of over 300 of the city’s movers and shakers in favor of the 150 or so he felt certain he could trust. Normally this would be a blunder that a monarch would spend years recovering from, but in this case it hardly mattered.

Dutch, like all purely Euro-Aryan[9] languages, has no clusivity. The words “we,” “us,” “our,” or “ours” are irreducibly ambiguous and must be judged from context. When William told his audience in the Royal Palace on July 29 “Mindanao is ours,” he certainly meant for every single one of his listeners to feel themselves included in that statement.

And yet most of them were not, a fact they knew perfectly well. Forty percent of the shares in the Mindanao Company were the property of the treasury of the Netherlands. Another eleven percent was owned by King William himself. Another thirty percent had been distributed among various local sultans to further bind them to the Dutch colonial enterprise.[10] The remaining shares had already been purchased by the Royal Bank in London, which could see which way the wind was blowing in the Philippines and wanted to profit by the situation.

Lilian Reehorst, Rise and Fall of the House of Orange-Nassau (Eng. trans.)

It was that summer in Amsterdam that I saw with my own eyes for the first time how a small elite will hoard for themselves not only wealth, but opportunity, from not only the poor but the middle-class and ultimately all but themselves; and what can happen as a result…

Guillaume Georges Elmar, Notes Toward a Memoir

[1] G.G. is the oldest of six living children. Marguerite is his sister, and is two years younger.
[2] As IOTL, King William’s wife died in 1837. The difference is that at this point, there was a lot more public unhappiness with him, so that the minute the people began assembling for the funeral, they were like, “Since we’re all here, there’s some things we’ve been meaning to discuss with you, Your Majesty…”
[3] Annaba, in Algeria
[4] Louis Bonaparte, briefly king of Holland during the war.
[5] Talleyrand died this year IOTL as well, and the same joke was made.
[6] Spargent (from the Latin spargens, “scattering”) reproduction and margaritic (from the Latin margarita, “pearl,” as in “pearl of great price”) reproduction are ITTL’s terms for R-selection and K-selection, respectively.
[7] Nijmegen and s’Hertogenbosch
[8] Much larger than Antwerp at this point IOTL, of course
[9] The author is leaving out certain creole languages that do have clusivity. (And yes, Euro-Aryan is ITTL’s equivalent of Indo-European, but don’t worry. I promise ITTL “Aryan” is never going to mean anything more than what we call Proto-Indo-Iranian.)
[10] Maguindanao, Maguindanao-Davao, and the various Lanao sultanates. Between them, they officially control more than half the island.

No kidding, the POTUS blatantly overstepped his authority and is getting off. I will be surprised if there isn't at last one assassination attempt on Berrien before his term is done.

As for the Quids, they have saved Berrien but likely killed their party in the longterm. Say, how did Calhoun vote in the House?

I could totally see Berrien falling to an assassin's bullet in this situation; either the family of a soldier killed in the war, or something wanting to scream "Sic Semper Tyrannus" and save the Republic from a corrupt, would-be dictator (in their eyes). Possibly both.

This would lead to the President of the Senate becoming President and beginning the work extricating the US from the war without losing too much and though the DR would return to power, it would be under a cloud.

Meanwhile, I suspect the assassination gains many a conspiracy theory within Quid ranks and this could cause some major issues as the Troubles rise up.

Interesting times in the Netherlands.

So am I too understand Britain is undermining the Dutch king so as to ensure when he falls the new regime will be proLondon?

I could totally see Berrien falling to an assassin's bullet in this situation; either the family of a soldier killed in the war, or something wanting to scream "Sic Semper Tyrannus" and save the Republic from a corrupt, would-be dictator (in their eyes). Possibly both.

This would lead to the President of the Senate becoming President and beginning the work extricating the US from the war without losing too much and though the DR would return to power, it would be under a cloud.

Meanwhile, I suspect the assassination gains many a conspiracy theory within Quid ranks and this could cause some major issues as the Troubles rise up.

I actually see Berrien surviving at this point. The man's already paranoid, see his accusation of Winthrop conspiring with Byron ,and I could easily see him surrounding himself with bodyguards. Berrien will make peace after the campaign in Louisiana fails and try to make the best peace he can get, for the South.

The Troubles apparently kick off in 1840, officially. So I am guessing something happens in the next presidential election that will be a watershed event. My current theory is that Daniel Webster will be assassinated while running or just after being elected. The Quids will deny any involvement; and they may even be telling the truth. But fresh off a peace where Berrien didn't even try to keep as much of Canada as he could, the North will be out for blood and the Quids railing that they are being persecuted.

Off subject, in the Post War refiorms in British North America I am hoping Canada gets reorganized into a Kingdom of Canada, with Charlotte being offically the Queen of Canada; and hopefully a separate Canadian monarchy down the line.

An interesting interlude for the Netherlands here and it looks like the King is piling more kindling up to get ready for a major fire. Is everyone watching this with interest? I imagine France might want to take advantage with most of the major players distracted by now.

So am I too understand Britain is undermining the Dutch king so as to ensure when he falls the new regime will be proLondon?
Not quite. This is the British embassy in France, so they're saying they've caught the French undermining the Dutch king (although undermining the Dutch king is like peeing on the deck of the Titanic at this point). Talking as though the embassy staff are the ones doing it is part of the "GOOD MORNING" code. (You're right about Berrien getting bodyguards, though.)

Not quite. This is the British embassy in France, so they're saying they've caught the French undermining the Dutch king (although undermining the Dutch king is like peeing on the deck of the Titanic at this point). Talking as though the embassy staff are the ones doing it is part of the "GOOD MORNING" code. (You're right about Berrien getting bodyguards, though.)

Yes, honestly I think there's not much Paris can do to worsen the situation. The Dutch King has already pretty much poisoned the well by himself...
Worst case, frankly, is that the French have seen where it is leading (since plenty of people of 1789 are still alive, it doesn't take a genius...) and are preparing to take advantage of it.

Thank you for the clarification.

I hope it does not go well for the French, they seem to have done too well for my taste so a defeat would be nice.

Note, Samuel Sarphati is honored by the Dutch iOTL, he was a doctor, sanitation engineer and city planner. There is a park named after him in Amsterdam. and the King specifically honored him at one point. Hope he lives through this summer...

Its been almost six months now now since the British took Astoria City; in addition to time the Columbia has been clear of ice for some time now I assume.

What are the British up too in that neck of the woods? Or Austin and the other American forces in the territory for that matter? What if anything Austin does during this time will have a major impact not only on his career but on how well his ideals are received in the growing territory.